Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lakbay posted:

I'm debating restarting and following the guide since I've never 100% a Persona game and I've never replayed one after my initial playthrough, which difficulty are you playing on?

I have never burned out on a Persona game faster than trying a fresh 100% run. It sucks all of the fun out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I've been wondering the same thing. But it's probably best to err on the side of caution and assume that they don't spill over, just in case.

It's a reasonable presumption since they didn't in 3 and 4 and so far there's no reason to presume that's changed here.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh yeah I've been meaning to ask, does anyone know if Mementos is required for an ending or something? Because I've basically completely ignored it since it got introduced in favor of social life and TRIALS OF THE BURGERS.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh yeah I've been meaning to ask, does anyone know if Mementos is required for an ending or something? Because I've basically completely ignored it since it got introduced in favor of social life and TRIALS OF THE BURGERS.

The game will force you to finish it down the line so to avoid having to do the whole thing at once do bits of it during the year Tartarus style.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Get caught up on Mementos. It seems optional but isn't really.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Basically delve into mementos at least once sometime after each Palace to do side quests.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is probably one of the few games I've seen that really seeks to explore the impact trauma has on a person.

Naturally I've not finished it, I'm not even at the third Palace, but it's really loving interesting to see how this game deals with a pretty heavy subject matter. The main cast has suffered in lasting ways due to their trauma and the stigma it has brought them. If anything, this game clearly is pointing a very condemnatory finger towards the judgmental society in which it sets, this notion that one's reputation is the most important thing a person can have being used to poison the hopes and futures of otherwise upstanding and even talented young people.

This is not a story that many video games would be able to tackle, and it's kind of astounding to see how well Persona manages to depict this both on a story and a mechanical level.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Personally I just hope that this game doesn't end with lol I'm some demonic god who wants to destroy the world and you'll fight me now.

I thought it was a bit dumb in P4 and to a lesser extent P3 when they abandoned the intimate, more personal scale of those games for apocalyptic threats, and I suspect I won't like it here either if the game becomes about that (And it seems like it will based on some things I've heard Igor say so far). Hopefully I'm wrong or at least that it will be integrated better.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Does anyone know how often vending machines restock? I found two machines so far that sell drinks that restore 5 SP for 300 yen.

I know 5 SP isn't much but I like being able to stock up on things in case they come in handy later. Also, I'm still in the first palace and haven't found any other means of restoring SP yet.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Does anyone know how often vending machines restock? I found two machines so far that sell drinks that restore 5 SP for 300 yen.

I know 5 SP isn't much but I like being able to stock up on things in case they come in handy later. Also, I'm still in the first palace and haven't found any other means of restoring SP yet.

I think they restock on Mondays.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

Every Monday.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mr E posted:

I think they restock on Mondays.

Dragonatrix posted:

Every Monday.

Thanks!

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Does this game have any connections to previous Persona games (besides Igor), or is it a clean break?

What I'm really asking is can I see Cool Adult Kanji?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
They reference Naoto and you see Rise on posters

das it

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
:(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Does this game have any connections to previous Persona games (besides Igor), or is it a clean break?

What I'm really asking is can I see Cool Adult Kanji?

You're going to have to wait for Persona 5 Arena.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Why name yourselves the Phantoms when you can be the kanji kuns

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Moltrey posted:

They reference Naoto and you see Rise on posters

das it

Kanami too, for all the little that matters :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Persona 4 Extended Universe is dubious at best

also if you didn't name yourself The Gang⭐Stars you fake as hell

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Raxivace posted:

Personally I just hope that this game doesn't end with lol I'm some demonic god who wants to destroy the world and you'll fight me now.

I thought it was a bit dumb in P4 and to a lesser extent P3 when they abandoned the intimate, more personal scale of those games for apocalyptic threats, and I suspect I won't like it here either if the game becomes about that (And it seems like it will based on some things I've heard Igor say so far). Hopefully I'm wrong or at least that it will be integrated better.

You know it will tho

But it's Persona so the apocalyptic death gods are invariably phantoms of our own collective psyche so that makes it a little better I guess.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Moltrey posted:

But I named myself Vento Aureo.

Also, Kanami was in Persona 4, too. Just... only mentioned. Like, twice. During Rise's S Link.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

How often does the movie playing at the theater change? I was looking for something on the outside of the theater that tells me.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Wrist Watch posted:

Wait, where's the other vending machine? I found the one outside the bathhouse but that's it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In like, the further walkway between the practice bulding and the school. If you remember the cutscene where Morgana first appears as a cat in the human world and meets MC and Ryuji, the vending machines are where that was

Supremezero posted:

But I named myself Vento Aureo.

Also, Kanami was in Persona 4, too. Just... only mentioned. Like, twice. During Rise's S Link.
yeah but we never saw her

classic spin offs always answering questions we didnt want

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Moltrey posted:

I named my group the Zengakuren, seemed appropriate

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raxivace posted:

Hahahahahahahahahah

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lmao Persona's eagerness to pull the Maybe Man Wasn't The Real Villain All Along is insane

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If you're using a guide to max out social links, I've found a way that's more fun for me at least, try to go through the s-link conversation on your own, then after conversation's finished check the guide to see if you got it right. If not you can always reload.

That way there's still some excitement that comes from trying to guess correctly.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I named my group Phantoma because I was trying to stick with the French theme of the tarot cards.

Phantoma isn't French and I just now realized I named the group after FF Type 0's magic juice and also the grunt mechs from ZOE.

It's still better than The Phantoms.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

lmao Persona's eagerness to pull the Maybe Man Wasn't The Real Villain All Along is insane

After Nyarlathotep, there's nowhere to go but down. :colbert:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I get that Persona is trying to recapture the magic of fighting a well dressed man, and then Hitler and then a terrible body horror amalgamation of all the main character's fathers from 2, but come on ya'll

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

slev posted:

How often does the movie playing at the theater change? I was looking for something on the outside of the theater that tells me.

It's basically monthly. Eventually your party members start inviting you to go so you don't usually need to spend time there until prompted

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
In retrospect I should have named the group The Spookies because of Soul Hackers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OneDeadman posted:

I named my group Phantoma because I was trying to stick with the French theme of the tarot cards.

Phantoma isn't French and I just now realized I named the group after FF Type 0's magic juice and also the grunt mechs from ZOE.

It's still better than The Phantoms.

Close enough

Mr. Big
Sep 26, 2006

BONK!
I'm a little disappointed there was no Soul Hackers costume DLC.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im honestly kinda mad we didn't get Ann (Hair Down Variant)

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
My party is all dudes, and the group is called the Flex Pistols. Punk rock seemed sort of appropriate in my tired brain at the time.

Also, I just bumbled my way into the maid social link and WOW. That might top the the P3/P4 hermit links in terms of kookiness.

"I'm a dad." :allears:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a way to scan monsters for weaknesses other than just testing each element one by one?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

TheLoser posted:

My party is all dudes, and the group is called the Flex Pistols. Punk rock seemed sort of appropriate in my tired brain at the time.

Also, I just bumbled my way into the maid social link and WOW. That might top the the P3/P4 hermit links in terms of kookiness.

"I'm a dad." :allears:

That's one of my favorite links, though not for the reasons you might initially suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I went with Leverage Inc. as my band of thieves name and thus the MC is teenage AU Nathan Ford.