Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also, the Last Order tournament arc still kinda owns even if it strays from what made the original series so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah when the absolute nadir of the series is "Sechs and Alita beating up cyborgs with SPACE KARATE" you're doing pretty good overall

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Im in the mood for something with a good industrial or metal soundtrack. The show itself doesnt need to be mind blowingly good or anything, just acceptable is fine as long as the music is great.

I'm sure people will debate until the cows come home exactly what qualifies as "metal", but if you're willing to accept the most guitar-driven soundtrack of all anime, then Geneshaft is your thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

A huge, obnoxious portion of it is tied up in a no kidding tournament arc that gets away from a lot of what made the first Alita series interesting. But there's enough, juuuuuuust enough in there for the story that as a Alita fan I still felt glad I read it. By the end it was just fine again and its own sequel/prequel (Mars Chronicle) has been stellar.
Some parts of the ZOTT(the tournament) are loving stellar.

Sometimes literally.

But really, stuff like the Nanomachine Penis Monster From Mars or the Supersonic Thumb War were just fabulous. Plus it allowed the author to just go nuts with his designs, and considering how goddamn amazing an artist he is, by all means. I really like Toji in particular, a simple cyborg body design, in a karate gi, with a Mayan-esque head design, who practices Electromagnetic Karate. Good stuff.

There is also a flashback that is initially quite terrible but winds up being extremely good by the time it's over, and reveals what happened to cause the BAA world. Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies. ESPECIALLY Japan.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am fine with a lot of specific moments of ZOTT. What I was not fine with was how it spanned about 14 volumes or whatever it was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

I am fine with a lot of specific moments of ZOTT. What I was not fine with was how it spanned about 14 volumes or whatever it was.

It spans three entire volumes of the Omnibus set.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know how long those are but looking at the chapters it runs from like 13 to 110, not counting the flashback arcs and the like in between. That's like 75% of the manga!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of my only gripes with later Last Order is that Alita kinda becomes kind of a tool and less of a relate-able character than she was in the original series.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is steins/gate a good anime? it's up on the 'flix

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

yes

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Yes, as long as you like intricate if a little dumb time travel and/or conspiracy plots (protip: everyone does).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
time for some anime then.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

This answer is valid for both the dub and sub of Steins;Gate.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The game is good too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the anime is a good way to experience the main plot stuff, the game is probably worth checking out for the variety of weird extra routes

you don't have to bother with the sequel movie it's just sort of mediocre

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh btw, has anyone played the sequel VN, Steins;Gate 0? If so, what are your impressions on it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

the anime is a good way to experience the main plot stuff, the game is probably worth checking out for the variety of weird extra routes

you don't have to bother with the sequel movie it's just sort of mediocre

I havent played the game, but the series definitely feels like they tucked a few alternate endings in there.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Oh btw, has anyone played the sequel VN, Steins;Gate 0? If so, what are your impressions on it?

I believe I and a few other people posted some impressions not too long after it came out over the in the VN thread in Games. The thread doesn't get too many posts so it should be easy enough to find them if you skip back a few pages.

Basically though most thought it was good, but not quite as good as the first game. They tried to split parts of the main story up between multiple timelines/routes rather than having one main route with short 'bad ending' offshoot branches like the original. That idea succeeded in some respects but to my mind made parts of the game feel a bit disjointed and strangely paced.

All that said, if you liked the original and want more, by all means go play it, it's good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

If you are interested in seeing that cast of characters interact more, it definitely has more of that and it's done pretty well. Some of the lesser characters like Faris or Luka actually feel better fleshed out even, or at least far more involved in the main plot than in the original. It made me like Suzuha even more and Mayuri has a powerful assortment of hats.

The story is largely pointless. It doesn't offer anything additional to what you don't already know from vanilla Steins;Gate and most/all of the new plot twists and developments it showcases feel a bit halfbaked and unnecessary. I went into the game thinking I didn't really need any additional Steins;Gate story and left it still feeling it.

Largely based around the cast of characters still being the same strong core they always were, to repeat myself from the VN Games thread, "If Steins;Gate was a A+ I would give 0 a solid B."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I generally liked 0 but the biggest thing I felt it was missing that the original had was a "page-turner" feel to its primary plot(s). The original Steins;Gate was difficult to put down once you hit the point where things became serious, but this one didn't give that same feeling.

It's still really good, though. I feel it did about as well as it could have given its premise as a mid-quel of sorts. It does some things better than the original (the character interaction stuff) and I really liked one of the new characters (Maho) but since what I liked the most in the original was the "sci-fi thriller" aspects, I ended up not enjoying it quite as much.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've gotten into streaming anime lately and been enjoying it quite a bit. Just finished Madoka the other day, and before that was Katanagatari, so I'm coming off of a couple of pretty emotionally weighty shows. Anyone have any suggestions for something light and fun to watch in a group?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've gotten into streaming anime lately and been enjoying it quite a bit. Just finished Madoka the other day, and before that was Katanagatari, so I'm coming off of a couple of pretty emotionally weighty shows. Anyone have any suggestions for something light and fun to watch in a group?

Hmm... do you have a MAL or anything so we can see what you've already watched?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

you should watch Love Live! Sunshine!!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

you should watch Love Live! Sunshine!!

I had actually been toying with picking that up for a while, but I was a little leery since I bounced off of the original pretty hard. What's it do better, you think?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My Love Story!! is about as fluffy and fun as it gets

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I had actually been toying with picking that up for a while, but I was a little leery since I bounced off of the original pretty hard. What's it do better, you think?

If you didn't enjoy the original seasons of Love Live at all, I'm not sure if you'd like Sunshine. I think it had some better developed characters and more effective arcs, though it stumbled in some similar ways to the originals, too. (I liked them all, but I thought Sunshine was the best of the three seasons so far.)

The first two (DogaKobo) seasons of Yuru Yuri are some good, ridiculous goofy stuff, though I don't think it quite hits its stride until a few episodes in.

Ooh, I know a good one -- have you seen Humanity Has Declined?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Nichijou.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'll let my AotY thead post answer for me:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's no secret that I love live, but I've always acknowledged the weaknesses of the OG anime. Sunshine addresses most of those: the cast act more like friends, the humor is better and more varied, the drama is spread out and foreshadowed rather than dropping like a bomb in the last few episodes, and I like all the characters. It's not without its flaws, most notably eternally-moody Kanan and the bizarre choice to make the last episode of a one cour show mostly a recap, but it's cute and funny and pretty (the hair! the eyes!) and I love it.

and I'd say its relative strengths are all the more striking comparing just first seasons.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ohhhhhhh that might be the one. Feel like it's between that, HHS, and Sunshine for me...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ohhhhhhh that might be the one. Feel like it's between that, HHS, and Sunshine for me...

If you haven't seen Nichijou yet, get on that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you haven't seen Nichijou yet, get on that.

...How worksafe is Nichijou? I like to watch stuff on the train to/from work, and Nichijou might actually be a good fit. Then I could do one of the other two for the stream.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Spiritus Nox posted:

...How worksafe is Nichijou? I like to watch stuff on the train to/from work, and Nichijou might actually be a good fit. Then I could do one of the other two for the stream.

Completely

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

not at all, it's filled with tons of hosed up violence, language and deer abuse

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Colonel posted:

not at all, it's filled with tons of hosed up violence, language and deer abuse

Only time a gif has ever made me rush off to watch a show.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I prefer the goat abuse myself.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have to apologize for suggesting a show with such heinous pumpkin abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU2i2wmxPVU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, is the Stein's;Gate movie any good?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a rehash of the series thematically and at one point there's a weird scene with an age gap kiss.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

I didn't hate it, but I didn't much like it, either. It was nice having a bit more time with the Steins;Gate characters, but narratively it was basically nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Countblanc posted:

My Love Story!! is about as fluffy and fun as it gets
yeah watch this because it's really really great