Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

gas

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I'm not saying I can't understand the motives but at the end of the day it's 100% on the person who chooses to be unfaithful. It's not the fault of the person who was betrayed, regardless of whether or not they were a lovely partner.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm not saying I can't understand the motives but at the end of the day it's 100% on the person who chooses to be unfaithful. It's not the fault of the person who was betrayed, regardless of whether or not they were a lovely partner.

Would it be their fault if their lovely behavior caused their partner to break up with them? If so, wouldn't it follow that it's their fault if they cheat on them for the same reasons?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

no wait I'm working on something dammit

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Like one woman I mess with says she's fairly sure her husband would kill himself if she left and it would crush him, and she would never want to hurt him that way. He still doesn't give her what she needs obviously

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

Would it be their fault if their lovely behavior caused their partner to break up with them? If so, wouldn't it follow that it's their fault if they cheat on them for the same reasons?

one of these things is not like the other

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It is tho?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Blue Train posted:

Cheating and breaking up are not identically reasonable behaviours.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

It is tho?

how are they even remotely the same?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

givin' a bad name to coltrane, man

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Sometimes you have no way of feeling better about losing the argument over whether the toilet paper should be over or under

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

how are they even remotely the same?

They are the same in that it is the other person's action driving them to do what they are doing

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

givin' a bad name to coltrane, man

Coltrane banged hundreds of married chicks

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Train posted:

They are the same in that it is the other person's action driving them to do what they are doing

They are different in that cheating is typically seen as unethical behavior, while breaking up is not.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

Say someone wronged me for a measurable amount of money. I could either take them to court and sue them for it or I could show up at their house at night, beat them in their bed, and rob them of enough valuables to pay their debt. Both would be the direct result of whatever it was they did that meant they owed me, but one is generally considered a less acceptable method of collecting the debt.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blue Train posted:

nah

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Blue Train posted:

My dude just admit that what you do is lovely without trying to come up with twisted justifications for it. I've been the person someone cheats with too but I don't try to wiggle my way out of any accountability

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

Say someone wronged me for a measurable amount of money. I could either take them to court and sue them for it or I could show up at their house at night, beat them in their bed, and rob them of enough valuables to pay their debt. Both would be the direct result of whatever it was they did that meant they owed me, but one is generally considered a less acceptable method of collecting the debt.

I'd prolly do the latter so I think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Psycho Society posted:

My dude just admit that what you do is lovely without trying to come up with twisted justifications for it. I've been the person someone cheats with too but I don't try to wiggle my way out of any accountability

Blue Train posted:

I'm a lovely person in lots more ways than that

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Fun game of 'spot the lede' in this one:

My (23F) boyfriend (24M) of 3 years checking out other girls

quote:

I honestly don't know if I'm being just petty/insecure, so coming here for some advice.

Currently in a relationship, basically found out that my SO (male), has been extensively checking out other females on social media (Facebook/Instagram). This has been going on for basically the whole duration of the relationship (3 years). When I confronted him about it, he was upset but said he does it because it's probably "just a guy thing", and that he wasn't pursuing anything further with those females so there was nothing wrong.

I did get quite upset because he always portrays himself as being someone who is extremely loyal and only has eyes for me (always calls other females sluts/whores, which I don't condone and find disrespectful). For the entire duration of the relationship I can confidently say that I've only had eyes for him, and never had the slightest urge to check anyone else out.

I was just wondering if I overreacted by being upset, or if it was really "just a guy thing".

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

re: cheating, I cheated and was cheated on in every monogamous, (ostensibly) straight, pre-transition relationship. In all cases, my partner cheated on me before I cheated on them, and I did not find out that they cheated on me until after the relationship ended (so there was no retaliatory thing going on). poo poo was bananas. In most cases, the cheating occurred with a mutual friend.

Then I transitioned and dealt with my queer stuff and found out that compulsory monogamy was bullshit and there were a million great poly people out there. The end.

i say this with the greatest possible kindness and respect: your life is a trainwreck, and i am very glad i do not know you in person.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PleasingFungus posted:

i say this with the greatest possible kindness and respect: your life is a trainwreck, and i am very glad i do not know you in person.

lordy you don't even know what a trainwreck looks like

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hell yes a cheating defender up in the thread to make sure it gets gassed

Blue Train you're either a gimmick or a real shithead so why not just go elsewhere and jerk off about it?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you should not take poo poo so seriously friend, that applies to a lot of people itt as well

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

zakharov posted:

...why not just go elsewhere and jerk off about it?

Because he can't cum if nobody is watching.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
E: posting problems

lock stock and Cheryl fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 8, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PleasingFungus posted:

Fun game of 'spot the lede' in this one:

My (23F) boyfriend (24M) of 3 years checking out other girls

He's calls every other girl a slut and whore tee hee so he must be trustworthy. :shepspends:

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

PleasingFungus posted:

Oh please. The lesson is that some people aren't meant to be in monogamous relationships with monogamous people.

I'd also venture that dating a closeted trans person and dating as closeted trans person are near-guaranteed disasters. Trying to build an authentic relationship when you are not authentic about foundational parts of your identity, or trying to relate to someone that can't honestly relate to themself are doomed endeavors.

People are fed the narrative that monogamy is the one true way in pretty much every piece of pop culture they're exposed to, and everyone wonders why there's so much cheating going on.

Hint: if you feel so strong a desire to gently caress/romance more than one person concurrently, maybe date someone where you can have that be up front and on the table between you. Otherwise, if you're perfectly happy with one person and are never tempted to sleep with anyone but your mated partner, then monogamy is for you.

Be honest about what you want with yourself and your partners, and you won't end up with nasty surprises. You can't control whether your partners are honest with you, but you can control whether you're honest with them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I believe monogamy is the One True Way because of r/polyamory

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I listen to the opinions of polys.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Being poly lets you replace drama in your sex life with drama in every other facet of your life

But also your sex life too

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

fruit on the bottom posted:

I believe monogamy is the One True Way because of r/polyamory

What percentage of this thread is about bad monogamous relationships?

All I'm saying is if you want to do things outside the bounds of traditional monogamous relationships, then be upfront about that and be in relationships with people that are ok with it. Or just pussyfoot around it and cheat and all that other dumb drama

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
betas

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
omegas

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Sounds like you unenlightened normies just aren't special enough to feel compersion whenever your sadbrains fat whovian larper wife takes load after load in the face while you watch from the fold-out couch.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
divided we are betas

united we make up one passable alpha

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Blue Train posted:

you should not take poo poo so seriously friend, that applies to a lot of people itt as well

Dude lovely things can be funny.
I mean, if you use some of the charm or humour here you must be using to gently caress other people's wives, people might not take it so seriously.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 8, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm more funny when I'm drunk sorry

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
destroying marriages is good and cool and very fun.

prove me wrong.

protip: you can't_________________________________

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe