Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Dungeon 4 doesn't either.

I actually appreciated the break in Dungeon 2, meant I could be a lot more lax about my SP usage. I actually wish all of them had mid-breaks like that, but obviously balance the S.Links around it.
They're already balanced around dungeons taking multiple days. You have to beat the curve to finish them all on a fresh save.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Uh Makoto always owned, did you not catch her following you

It is such a treat when you first see her do it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
How necessary have people found it to get the best stuff from Untouchable? I had the best stuff all around for the first palace and still felt like I was getting pretty hard so I was wondering if that continued. I'm only a bit into the second palace and could probably afford to get the best armor for everyone at least.

I also recall people saying there was a good demon to ask money from in the second palace? if anyone remembers what that was

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
In the second Palace, Apsaras was pretty good from what I found; she gave between 2200 and 2900 a pop.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So are All-Out Attacks not the optimal way to end fights? Why would you make their animation look so cool then

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah and Nekomata is a huge goldmune in the 3rd.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So are All-Out Attacks not the optimal way to end fights? Why would you make their animation look so cool then

If you want exp it is.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In general I think the amount of money you get from stickup is related to the shadow's personality? I feel like irritable usually gives you gently caress all, timid/gloomy can be held up more times, and upbeat can give you a lot straight up

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Optimal is to get the ability that lets you ask for money/items multiple times, but then all-out attack instead of asking a second time.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mordiceius posted:

I'm using the KillScottKill walk through for my first playthrough.

Come at me.

This dude knows what's up. We are the 100%.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Is there a guide just for Strength? I'm kinda stuck here at Rank 4. I haven't seen any Personas with Dodge Psy, period.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gruckles posted:

Optimal is to get the ability that lets you ask for money/items multiple times, but then all-out attack instead of asking a second time.

If I get a demon that's giving me considerable amounts (I once had a Nekomata giving me 8k!) I usually keep asking for money instead of going for all-out attack. It seems like you randomly can just keep asking over and over. My best so far was 4 from a single demon, but unfortunately it wasn't the 8k Nekomata.

Arist posted:

Is there a guide just for Strength? I'm kinda stuck here at Rank 4. I haven't seen any Personas with Dodge Psy, period.

You want a level 27 Kin-Ki for Dodge Psi, I haven't found anything else that gives it so far.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
ty yall. The hold up money def seems to flucutate with. with some Apsaras' giving me 200 yen and one giving me 2000, but money isn't THAT tight, I just liked to buy stuff

Gruckles posted:

okay keep talking

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Moltrey posted:

How necessary have people found it to get the best stuff from Untouchable? I had the best stuff all around for the first palace and still felt like I was getting pretty hard so I was wondering if that continued. I'm only a bit into the second palace and could probably afford to get the best armor for everyone at least.

I also recall people saying there was a good demon to ask money from in the second palace? if anyone remembers what that was

Around the third/fourth palace I started finding stuff that was straight up better or equitable to the stuff in Untouchable.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Arist posted:

Is there a guide just for Strength?

The one walkthrough on GameFAQs has it as a separate section before the main schedule, for whatever reason. It's... functional enough, though it expects you to grind way more than necessary for some of them.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Finally finished the first Palace. What a good-rear end first boss

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

ty yall. The hold up money def seems to flucutate with. with some Apsaras' giving me 200 yen and one giving me 2000, but money isn't THAT tight, I just liked to buy stuff

okay keep talking

After rank 2 Sun when you get stuff from shadows you'll be prompted to either let them go, demand more with the risk they'll get pissed off and call reinforcements, or you can hit triangle and kill 'em anyway.
Repeatedly asking for more and more money is probably the way to go if you're grinding, but if you just want to end battles quickly while also getting extra cash and full exp it's an option you might not notice.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Hmm. How do I use Temperance's abilities? I called her when she was Rank 3, but there wasn't an option for the housekeeping or anything.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Nice, enemy gets to hit four Megidolas in a row. That went well for the home team.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Gruckles posted:

After rank 2 Sun when you get stuff from shadows you'll be prompted to either let them go, demand more with the risk they'll get pissed off and call reinforcements, or you can hit triangle and kill 'em anyway.
Repeatedly asking for more and more money is probably the way to go if you're grinding, but if you just want to end battles quickly while also getting extra cash and full exp it's an option you might not notice.
Oh rad, wild that's only Rank 2, sweet!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, Ryuji's upgraded Persona looks so much lamer than his original...

Well at least it's not as bad as Yosuke. Christ, THAT guy got it bad with his upgrade.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well crap you need Kindness 4 to get anywhere with Futaba.

That's uh... that's fun considering my Kindness is still at 2 while every other stat is at 4. :v:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Is there a NG+ or something? I keep on seeing references to "fresh save" and "first playthrough." The latter seems innocuous on its own, the former not so much.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Not really looking to 100% or use a guide, but is there any s-links and stats I should focus on?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

poe meater posted:

Not really looking to 100% or use a guide, but is there any s-links and stats I should focus on?

There are some S.Links that are REALLY helpful to get ASAP. I'd say Temperance is basically essential to rush as quickly as possible, and Sun is REALLY helpful. Getting your teammates links up is also a good idea overall. For social stats, you eventually need basically everything, but early on getting Guts up is the most important, followed by Proficient and Knowledge. Charm and Kindness tend to come up more later on though. Like I said, try to get a bit of everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kalsco posted:

Is there a NG+ or something? I keep on seeing references to "fresh save" and "first playthrough." The latter seems innocuous on its own, the former not so much.

there's a newgame+ but the only content exclusive to it is a single boss and a few dialogue choices that you can't possibly have the stats for at the point they appear.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I gotta say that the series has really stepped up in terms of dungeon design. Remember P3 and how you were lucky to get more than two rooms?

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

I loved this to pieces. (For those who don't know, Like A Dragon/Ryu Ga Gotoku is the JP name for the Yakuza games) Even better: You find this in the Shinjuku Red Light restrict. The area that's the basis for Kamurocho, the main location of the Yakuza series

I do want to know if the JP version used audio/music from the actual game, or the movie.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Toranosuke "Bernie sanders" yoshida

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

Gear seems way less necessary in this than in other SMT games, you can probably make do with whatever scraps you find in Mementos for much of the game. physical/gun skills are very strong and don't scale off weapons so aside from the occasional armor you don't need much

also you can access the 5% SP restoration accessory from the doctor really really early (you just need rank 5 and a cool 100k to pay for it) which gives you a ton more leeway

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Guns are worth the investment if you do Iwai's Social Link since he'll start letting you customize them, generally it just makes them beefier but they can also have options for status ailments too.

Gun Dad is Best Dad.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Guns are worth the investment if you do Iwai's Social Link since he'll start letting you customize them, generally it just makes them beefier but they can also have options for status ailments too.

Gun Dad is Best Dad.

Is Iwai the Airsoft shop dude? What level of Guts do you need to ask him about the paper bag? My Guts is already at three and I still can't do it, but I've been focusing on other stats now because Guts is already my highest. Just about to start the 3rd Palace.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I've been spending my mandatory pre-calling-card days grinding until I'm out of SP and nearly dead. I still am too low for the third palace because christ they pull out all the stops on your initial run there. I'm happy about getting Best Girl but having to break into item stocks just to beat some normal rear end enemies is harsh. Granted I had supremely bad luck on both fights (until I restarted the second fight I missed every Nuclear on the middle guy) but it felt like 20 was way too low. If the rest of the palace is as brutal then it's going to get dropped back to Safe difficulty.

Also, and I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times in the many hundreds of pages here... am I good to just sell off all the gold items? No late-game fuckyous where you suddenly need 30 Pearls to rank up a link?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I just died in a really easy battle in Dungeon 3 after not having saved for at least an hour, because you go a long-rear end time without finding even a second safe-room there

And I'm pretty sure the next safe-room was just a minute away too

gently caress me

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Bardeh posted:

Is Iwai the Airsoft shop dude? What level of Guts do you need to ask him about the paper bag? My Guts is already at three and I still can't do it, but I've been focusing on other stats now because Guts is already my highest. Just about to start the 3rd Palace.

Yeah he's the weapon shop guy. You need a Guts 4 to start his social link but he'll add the customization feature pretty much immediately, with later ranks expanding it.

Also he's hot.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
So is Yoshida the only "one like = one rank up" Social link? I started his link mad late and he was still the first one I maxxed

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

So is Yoshida the only "one like = one rank up" Social link? I started his link mad late and he was still the first one I maxxed
Both the Sun and Moon do this from what I've been told.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah he's the weapon shop guy. You need a Guts 4 to start his social link but he'll add the customization feature pretty much immediately, with later ranks expanding it.

Also he's hot.

Cool, I guess I'll have to wait for it though because I still wanna get my other stats up before I grind out more Guts.

Also, with Persona Fusion - I just look at the menu where it shows you all the possible Personas you can create and then make the highest level ones I can. I have a nice spread of abilities across all the ones I have, but if there's any minmaxing or nuance to the system I don't really know how to go about doing it. Am I safe just creating new and higher level Personas as I level up, or are there some I specifically want to aim for?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man these videogames are bullshit. Bullshit!

I guess by what Morgana said I need a book for them too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think the thing I dislike most in this game thus far is Caroline's voice (both English and Japanese, but especially the latter). I realize she's not supposed to be nice to you since she is the mean one of the twins, but she sounds like nails on a chalkboard and never shuts the gently caress up. Just let me fuse some personas in peace you little poo poo :argh: