Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was a common hair cut of the brown shirts back in 1930s Germany.

Haircut is a punching offense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

After Disney bought ABC they did a huge crossover/marketing synergy event where all of the different shows all went to Disneyland. Including Roseanne, which really conspicuously went against its entire theme of being about a working-class family that struggled to make ends meet.

Well, Dan does blow his pension, severance check, and retirement account on the trip (which causes Darlene's wedding, itself caused by her getting knocked up on the Disney trip, to be a rushed, cheap affair and the realization that any nest egg he has got swallowed up by the Disney trip and this small wedding causes Dan to suffer a heart attack, which "in the story" leads to a separation between he and Roseanne when he falls back into pre-cardiac arrest habits after his recovery and "in reality" just out and out kills him), so it's probably the most believable "cast goes to Disney for twenty-two minutes of advertising for the new parent company" storyline I've ever seen. To the family, it's the biggest, craziest trip of all of their lives and ends up being somewhat financially ruinous to them and "in reality" directly leads to Dan's death within a matter of months.

Also, boy there's something weird about having to remember there's a timeline split in loving Roseanne, of all shows, and they both "link" back together just in time for the actual Roseanne to subtextually insert the idea that The Walt Disney Company destroyed the Conner family story as one of the last scenes in the entire show.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwYo0w42r4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Where's the timeline split tho? I always assumed it was just the whole way through, one of the main gags of the twist ending is that Darlene was with Becky's guy and vice versa, but they introduced those guys waaaaay early in the show, so the split would either be so early that it doesn't matter, or there is no split and it's all supposed to be roseanne's book or whatever was going on in the finale.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

IIRC there is a first(?) season episode where she tries to get back into writing and goes upstairs to write, in the show she doesn't write anything but in the finale you find out everything afterwards was her written alternate versions of what really happened.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There's actually a documentary about it, aptly called "Too Many Cooks"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

IIRC there is a first(?) season episode where she tries to get back into writing and goes upstairs to write, in the show she doesn't write anything but in the finale you find out everything afterwards was her written alternate versions of what really happened.

The voiceover at the end of the show is a little vague on it; it definitively says that the whole previous season was just Roseanne avoiding having to write about losing her husband by making up an entirely different life that the family leads; it's the switcheroo twists of Darlene and Becky's husbands and who was actually gay and stuff like that which reveals the rest of the show is a rewritten version of the character's reality (although not nearly as much a flight of fancy as the final season), but it also seems very possible the whole "story" was written following Dan's death? I've always taken it as that, anyway

quote:

My writing’s really what got me through the last year after Dan died. I mean at first I felt so betrayed as if he had left me for another woman. When you’re a blue-collar woman and your husband dies it takes away your whole sense of security. So I began writing about having all the money in the world and I imagined myself going to spas and swanky New York parties just like the people on TV, where nobody has any real problems and everything’s solved within 30 minutes. I tried to imagine myself as Mary Richards, Jeannie, That Girl. But I was so angry I was more like a female Steven Segal wanting to fight the whole world.

Like, it's all a story, but she tacked it close to her actual life until she hit the point in her life where things went completely downhill and led to her sitting and writing and invented a new life (even though the lottery winning was more a reflection of Roseanne Barr's actual reality since syndication had made her obscenely rich).

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Jesus Rosanne was a comedy? poo poo sounds midnight black

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I've never seen the show, but the one thing I do know is that as the show went along, the daughter on the show became progressively more goth. To the extent that she had a poster of Death from Neil Gaiman's Sandman, which I think is pretty cool for a show I never saw.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I've never seen the show, but the one thing I do know is that as the show went along, the daughter on the show became progressively more goth. To the extent that she had a poster of Death from Neil Gaiman's Sandman, which I think is pretty cool for a show I never saw.

She was very sarcastic so like her and Raphael from the ninja turtles were my role models.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ammanas posted:

very special episodes can be pretty intense

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked the episode where they were going to give the son an SNES and Dan plays it and gets killed in a violent fashion. For a second or two you think the episode is going to go off on some preachy tangent about video game violence, but then Dan remarks "He's gonna love this!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ammanas posted:

It's a really loving great comedy and if you can get beyond your preconceptions of Roseanne Barr she absolutely knocks it out of the park the first season. Lots of sarcasm and jokes to hide the fact the family is barely keeping their heads above water.

Married...With Children was kind of the notorious take on the working poor/middle America/dysfunctional family. Roseanne did a lot of similar stuff but was more grounded -- Dan loses his shop early on and there isn't a magic last minute rally to save his store. He just kind of quietly rings up some dick's purchase and closes the till and boom, that's the end of his ownership. The big boisterous Man of the Family suddenly becomes unable to provide. That's pretty big for an 80s sitcom.

There's a scene early on when Roseanne and Dan are squabbling about finances or something and Darlene runs in because she injured herself playing outside. Roseanne and Dan turn into Amazing parents, like working perfectly in sync, and not only patch her up but get her to be in great spirits. So while they have to work hard to make things happen, they truly love their family.

By the time the last season rolls around Roseanne is having visions of being Xena Warrior Princess and all that charm and down to earth sensibility is just gooooooone.

Didn't DJ (the son) die in Iraq or something as part of the finale?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The last season is a dream by Roseanne after Dan died after a heart attack, of course nothing fits at all to the other seasons or the tone of the rest of the show. To end it on a positive note I guess?

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 8, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Goodman was really pissed off by Roseanne's behavior towards the end of the show so it might have been a slam at him. He almost got written out of the show after walking off set. 20 years later everyone loves Goodman and Roseanne is nowhere to be seen unless she's feuding with Tom Arnold on Twitter or something dumb like that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tom arnold is a piece of poo poo

he's the tv version of james belushi

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

But James Belushi is the TV version of James Belushi?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dont even fink about it posted:

But James Belushi is the TV version of James Belushi?

oh poo poo he's on tv now

he didnt used to be is what im saying

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Powaqoatse posted:

oh poo poo he's on tv now

he didnt used to be is what im saying

"now" ?
That piece of poo poo show "According to Jim" was on the air for what, 9 years?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ammanas posted:

That was the point. It was supposed to show what living in America was like for real people, not super perfect sunshine like most other sitcoms.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Roseanne is the most realistic take on growing up working class in the Midwest, and I say that as someone who grew up working class in the Midwest (Roseanne's mom on the show is even from the town next to mine) Too bad the last few seasons were a mess.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Powaqoatse posted:

Fun fact, Tom Arnold allegedly said he has a tape of Donald Trump saying the n-word and Clinton begged him to release it before the election but he wouldn't because he didn't want to hurt any families. Or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cacator posted:

Fun fact, Tom Arnold allegedly said he has a tape of Donald Trump saying the n-word and Clinton begged him to release it before the election but he wouldn't because he didn't want to hurt any families. Or something.

All things considered that probably would have helped rather than hurt Trump.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

This has been another painful reminder that nothing matters anymore. The more you know!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CharlestheHammer posted:

Almost definitely.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

I don't know what you're trying to say about The Raid but I don't like it one bit.

The Raid is extremely good but the script is basically the bare minimum needed to facilitate crazy rear end-beating

Which is fine when the action is actually impressive as hell, like in The Raid, but Hardcore Henry achieves the same heights... once. Literally once, in the entire movie, does it even come close to that kind of action, during the motorcycle chase.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There was the Don't Stop Me Now sequence towards the end too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Imo therw were a bunch of sequences better than the motorcycle chase so :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

There was the Don't Stop Me Now sequence towards the end too.

That just made me wish I was watching Shaun of the Dead.

Also, for me, the motorcycle chase (and, I'll admit, the parkour chase near the beginning) stood out because they were the only times the movie really leaned on its stuntwork, instead of just blurry CGI gore flying everywhere. And it's legit good stuntwork. The movie just doesn't have the budget and/or self-confidence to keep doing that, and it doesn't have the script to back it up.

Naishuller's Weeknd video showed definite improvement in the same vein, though, so I'm actually excited for whatever he does next. I just did not like HH.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 8, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hardcore Henry is interesting to me because the Henry character is clearly "you". Just like in a modern FPS, "you" barely have any role or story motivation. The entire story happens to Shartlo Copley's character in all of his various guises, which "you" just observe and perform context actions in. The rest of it is literally gameplay - traversal puzzles, on-rail sequences, and killing similarly dressed guys with guns.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I appreciated them basically having a corny/trashy wife motivation for the POV character ala Shadows of Mordor and prolly a billion games I'm unfamiliar with
then you find out it's just contrived bullshit that was all made up, which yeah, makes sense.

it's a movie whose plot is as shallow, dumb, and just an excuse for fun as basically all video games, which is why I think it's the best video game adaptation

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I guess the same way I like Batman v Superman probably because I have no respect for comic books and superhero poo poo, I appreciate Hardcore Henry cuz I think video games are just generally an immature and worthless medium atm

hi I'm roger ebert

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It doesn't ever mention or allude to it, it just simply plays out like an FPS game. I imagine it makes total sense if you grew up watching Twitch, like Unfriended or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Now Unfriended, that was an awful loving movie. Not necessarily because of its premise though, it was really the "everything else" that dragged it down, like not having a single character that you wouldn't like to see die. And even then most of the deaths are offscreen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Unfriended owned. Timur Bekmambetov owns.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/chrismcquarrie/status/850609798144036864

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

Roseanne is the most realistic take on growing up working class in the Midwest, and I say that as someone who grew up working class in the Midwest (Roseanne's mom on the show is even from the town next to mine) Too bad the last few seasons were a mess.

This is true. Also, consequently, why I didn't like Roseanne. Too depressingly true to the world I saw around me.

Tom Arnold was from the town right next to mine :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That just made me wish I was watching Shaun of the Dead.

what sucks is the song stops right before the best part.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Unfriended owned.

no.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

:cool: I wonder how many more they'll be able to do with Tom. And will someone take over the franchise after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

got any sevens posted:

:cool: I wonder how many more they'll be able to do with Tom. And will someone take over the franchise after?

They tried to set up Jeremy Renner when Hollywood was attempting to make him a terrible leading man instead of a great character actor. And now he's not even going to be in this one, shows how well that went. Now they seem to be setting up Henry Cavill as the torch-bearer moving forward. Which is great, because if Man From U.N.C.L.E. is anything to go by, Caville has really pulled the short straw far too many times in his roles and is primed for a role in a good franchise that lets him show his charm and magnetism.

I'm cool if Cruise wants to keep making these but takes more of a patriarch role and lets Cavill take over.

• Locked thread