Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CapnBry posted:

Is there any update coming on being able to remap the ` key to not open the console? I normally use that a my push-to-talk and also I press it sometimes when I charge and well let's just say it can get confusing.
Addendum to my previous reply: I just made a FreePIE script that detects if the key's been pressed and automatically presses the drat thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Relentless posted:

Almost correct, but you want Barrier 5b for constant shield regen while punching.

I don't punch. I get constant shield regen from things entering Annihilation and using Throw.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Two Finger posted:

wrong.

they are going to nerf the gently caress out of melee to bring it in line with how lovely the guns are and then say 'see, now everything is as good as each other!'

They'll nerf Juggernaut Shield to give +10% melee damage, nerf every sniper rifle, and then buff every other weapon by like +3 damage and claim everything is balanced, calling it now.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Zakmonster posted:

I don't punch. I get constant shield regen from things entering Annihilation and using Throw.

Try punching. With Juggernaut Shield, the bonus from Barrier 5b and 30% from a pistol melee mod on the Charger, you hit like a goddamn truck.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Relentless posted:

Try punching. With Juggernaut Shield, the bonus from Barrier 5b and 30% from a pistol melee mod on the Charger, you hit like a goddamn truck.

I have. I don't like it. If I wanted to punch things I'd play one of the vanguards. I'm playing an adept, I wanna sling space magic and make things blow up.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

I have. I don't like it. If I wanted to punch things I'd play one of the vanguards. I'm playing an adept, I wanna sling space magic and make things blow up.

That's fair. I play my Asari Adept in a weird way. Rounds 1, 2, 4 and 5 I mostly just dick around with my sniper rifle popping heads and melee anything that gets too close to death while it's floating.

Rounds 3 and 6 I pull out the charger and dash around like a madman punching bitches.

Round 7 is about a minute 1:15 of sniper time, 30 seconds of running around and 15 seconds of hiding.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Relentless posted:

That's fair. I play my Asari Adept in a weird way. Rounds 1, 2, 4 and 5 I mostly just dick around with my sniper rifle popping heads and melee anything that gets too close to death while it's floating.

Rounds 3 and 6 I pull out the charger and dash around like a madman punching bitches.

Round 7 is about a minute 1:15 of sniper time, 30 seconds of running around and 15 seconds of hiding.

I generally run into a group of enemies, detonate twice then finish off whatever's left. If I see something shoot at me, I run/dash towards them to get them floating and then detonate/shoot. Rinse repeat. Gets pretty hectic if I find myself surrounded, then its a mad dash of running about trying to get things into Annihilation so I can blow them up.

I also use the Piranha, which is a great boon when fighting the bigger targets. Just hide behind the nearest cover and blind-fire in their general direction in between Lances.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I can't aim worth poop and do the throw instead of lance version of the asari adept and it owns too. It's just a dumb good class.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Two games in a row, crash to desktop at round 6. Being a glutton for punishment, I tried again and got a CTD at round 5. That's over an hour of playing on gold and getting no rewards from it.

Anyway, now that I've played with the patch, the nerfs to melee don't seem that bad. I barely noticed getting staggered, and I can still facetank a Hydra and punch it to death, so I'm still having fun. Just not unlocking anything because I can't get any money to buy any packs.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
Good fun tonight doing Golds with CapnBry and Relentless. Quite a lot more fun than doing Bronze over and over. I just need to learn to shut my jinxin' mouth about how the random enemy will likely be Kett.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Corzen posted:

Good fun tonight doing Golds with CapnBry and Relentless. Quite a lot more fun than doing Bronze over and over. I just need to learn to shut my jinxin' mouth about how the random enemy will likely be Kett.

STEALTH FIENDS.

Seriously, most of the sound design is so good, but they forgot fiend footsteps. Combined with the bit where they have no z axis on their sync kill and can do it from 2 floors below you it makes them sneakier than the guys who are actually invisible.

Good games all around tho. I finally got an Ishray, which just feels really good to use.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

What's a good build for the Avenger? The knife teleport is hilarious but I suspect not actually viable in Gold. Should I just max out Stealth Grid and Stickies, and then sneak around blowing things up?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Does anyone play human engineer at all? I'm wondering what sort of build you'd spec into.. it seems like that armor weakening from cryobeam and cryo turret would be a good thing for support.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

g0del posted:

Anyway, now that I've played with the patch, the nerfs to melee don't seem that bad. I barely noticed getting staggered, and I can still facetank a Hydra and punch it to death, so I'm still having fun. Just not unlocking anything because I can't get any money to buy any packs.

This is what I thought, and then I did the gold strike mission against Kett. Minigun Assholes will stagger you every other punch, and then your pretty much dead from whoever else is shooting you. I also don't remember a single minigunner being able to take me down in a quarter second with both charge and bastion dr up. Maybe one or both is broken?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
They did fix the Anointed so that they can actually hit you when you're in close range. Their bullets used to magically miss half the time when you were close enough to them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Stickman posted:

This is what I thought, and then I did the gold strike mission against Kett. Minigun Assholes will stagger you every other punch, and then your pretty much dead from whoever else is shooting you. I also don't remember a single minigunner being able to take me down in a quarter second with both charge and bastion dr up. Maybe one or both is broken?

The minigunners used to not be able to target you if you were point blank, i.e. whenever you were playing Vanguard correctly. Now that they do, they do the requisite stupid amounts of damage and can't be staggered because they're shielded.

Kett are also just cancerous horseshit in general so gently caress them. Call me back on playing Kett when you can Cobra Ascendants that park their bullshit asses on the upload point.

Also gently caress upload and gently caress the guy who designed upload, he's a prick.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Lightning Knight posted:

The minigunners used to not be able to target you if you were point blank, i.e. whenever you were playing Vanguard correctly. Now that they do, they do the requisite stupid amounts of damage and can't be staggered because they're shielded.

Kett are also just cancerous horseshit in general so gently caress them. Call me back on playing Kett when you can Cobra Ascendants that park their bullshit asses on the upload point.

Also gently caress upload and gently caress the guy who designed upload, he's a prick.

Also the guy who designed ascendants, who can teleport and sync kill you from across the map. Probably the same guy come to think of it :mad:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Relentless posted:

Combined with the bit where they have no z axis on their sync kill and can do it from 2 floors below you

That's fantastic.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Relentless posted:

STEALTH FIENDS.

Seriously, most of the sound design is so good, but they forgot fiend footsteps. Combined with the bit where they have no z axis on their sync kill and can do it from 2 floors below you it makes them sneakier than the guys who are actually invisible.

Good games all around tho. I finally got an Ishray, which just feels really good to use.

I really wanna see a video of this.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Constant banshee howling was annoying, sure, but they would have been ten times worse if they were silent.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Lightning Knight posted:

You know what, Silver, Wave 6 Assassinate vs Kett. Your first and second targets are Ascendants.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ZombyDog posted:

You know what, Silver, Wave 6 Assassinate vs Kett. Your first and second targets are Ascendants.

Yeah but at least in this scenario you aren't confined to standing in a stupid tiny circle to complete the objective.

And god help you if you get down to just one left and every enemy swarms you. I was playing the Gold Remnant no revives Apex Mission earlier and that happened, gently caress that poo poo.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Asari Sentinel is the best Vanguard.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Houdini posted:

Asari Sentinel is the best Vanguard.

You mean the Duelist? The Sentinel doesn't have charge.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Stolen from Reddit: http://imgur.com/a/zVp78

The first one is great, because after the fiend kills him, the game remembers he was on the 2nd floor and puts him back.

//edit

Apparently they can sometimes grab you from across the map too.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 8, 2017

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Chasiubao posted:

What's a good build for the Avenger? The knife teleport is hilarious but I suspect not actually viable in Gold. Should I just max out Stealth Grid and Stickies, and then sneak around blowing things up?

Skippy McPants posted a nice wirite up for the Angaran Avenger back on page 30

Skippy McPants posted:

For reference, when I say the Avenger is the best gold carry, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Build:

X/X/6/6/6 is the ideal, with the balance between Sticky Grenade and Stealth Grid being down to preference. Of course, you need a Rank X Avenger for that and good loving luck there. For a Rank 1 build, I'd go 1/3/6/6/4. The only thing you really miss out on here is Bioelectric Ward, so you have to be a bit more careful when diving with Avenger Strike. The 3 ranks in Grid lets it last long enough to fully disable a Device.

Avenger Strike: Always take Recharge Speed, Flash Strike, and Disrupting Strike. The power is less about damage and more for mobility or CC. Most of the time you'll be using it to jump and in lock down a target to kill, but it can also be used as a quick escape since you gain invulnerability the instant the animation begins.

Weapon Training: Always take Ammo and Targeting on Rank 5. Ranks 4 and 6 can be changed out depending on whether you find the bulk of your damage comes from shooting or grenades.

Bioelectric Defense: Regeneration, Capacity, and Bioelectric Ward are the ones you want here. Make this the first thing you max out as you unlock more ranks. Bioelectric Ward is amazing.

Loadout:

Vanquisher/Hurricane is my preference. I don't think I'd even run a Sniper Rifle if the Vanq wasn't so broken, so if you don't have one I'd just give that a pass. Any good SMG or Pistol can replace the Hurricane if you don't have one, a Talon or even a Charger X. Don't use the Revenant or any AR/Shotgun for that matter. They're all awful.

Play:

The Avenger's kit gives you a ton of options for engaging stuff depending on how aggressive you want to be vs. how safe you need to play. The ideal is to hop in using Strike and burn something down with either your Stickies or SMG. However, if things are looking to hot you can also just stay under Stealth Grid and kill stuff with Grenades (throwing them doesn't break stealth.) Learn where all the ammo boxes are on every map and visit them regularly so that you're never dry on power cells.

More than anything else, play safe. You can literally be invisible the for 100% of the game, so if you ever get KO'ed as the Avenger it is your own fault.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Skippy McPants posted:

You mean the Duelist? The Sentinel doesn't have charge.

Doesn't need it. :getin:

At level 10, she's unstoppable with energy drain and backlash and tech armour gives you some really good melee bonuses so you can walk across the map like the terminator. Shame shotguns are terrible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anyone have a good solution for how slow building shaders is every time you turn the game on? It takes a couple minutes to even get into a match after you ready up now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Relentless posted:

The first one is great, because after the fiend kills him, the game remembers he was on the 2nd floor and puts him back.

//edit

Apparently they can sometimes grab you from across the map too.

That sniper one is something else.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pretty sure what's happening in all of those is the Fiend's normal charge attack following right up into a regular sync kill.

His charge is fast. When you're not hosting, it'll often skip his entire animation on your client and look as though he teleported right to you. In the cases where you get pulled across the map, I assume it's the lovely net code trying to parse your location in relation to the Fiend so is can start the sync animation. It could probably be fixed pretty easily by making sure the Fiend had a short cooldown between his charge and sync kill attacks.

Doubt that'll happen, though! Always be hosting!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Or just always be not fighting the Kett.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sometimes you gotta finish a Strike Mission! That's how I usually encounter them.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Relentless posted:

Hey that first one looks familiar! Hey why am I on top of this building suddenly? Oh it is because I am being surprise killed. :(

Definitely a good time playing with you guys last night. The hardest part was getting my armor color lime green enough to look like part of the team.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

That could be part of it, but it also seems like I'm taking more damage from getting shot at a distance as well.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I didn't realize that the saving barrier evolution allowed you to survive sync kills, that seems pretty nice to have. I was leaning toward the "restore shields on kill" evolution but it seems like the other one is the clear choice.

I wish shotguns didn't suck, because having a weapon with a bayonet attached would just be so aesthetically pleasing for vanguards. Although I guess the optimal weapon being called "the charger" is a good consolation prize.

Even if barrier 6a restored 50% shields on every kill (instead of 10% on a biotic kill), 6b would still be the better choice because it gives your shields back when you are getting shot and are about to die. Plus, having to get the kill shot to power your boosts is annoying as hell and actively discourages team play - that's one of the main advantages of pugging a human vanguard over krogan on gold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zakmonster posted:

6 Annihilation: 4a/5a/6b
6 Lance: 4a/5b/6b
6 Barrier: 4a/5a/6b
5 Offensive Biotics: 4b/5a
3 Throw

Alternatively you can skip Throw altogether and get 6a from Offensive Biotics.

You can't spec out the 1 mandatory point in Throw this time around, so you actually can't do that.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I've been playing on PS4 and wouldn't mind being on a list of players. PSN handle is Robo-Raptor.

So far I don't think I've found a character/class that I'm really, you know, loving, but the Krogan engineer and merc seem to be clicking with me.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zakmonster posted:

6 Annihilation: 4a/5a/6b
6 Lance: 4a/5b/6b
6 Barrier: 4a/5a/6b
5 Offensive Biotics: 4b/5a
3 Throw

Alternatively you can skip Throw altogether and get 6a from Offensive Biotics.

precision posted:

You can't spec out the 1 mandatory point in Throw this time around, so you actually can't do that.

I think the implication is to skip putting extra points into Throw in order to take Offensive Biotics 6a, which you absolutely can. Honestly, since +biotic damage/force (probably) doesn't apply to combos, I'd just go 6b for the hefty melee boost. The only real advantage of taking Throw to 3 is the 20% recharge bonus (and maaaabye force) - damage is so piddly that +20 is barely noticeable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stickman posted:

I think the implication is to skip putting extra points into Throw in order to take Offensive Biotics 6a, which you absolutely can. Honestly, since +biotic damage/force (probably) doesn't apply to combos, I'd just go 6b for the hefty melee boost. The only real advantage of taking Throw to 3 is the 20% recharge bonus (and maaaabye force) - damage is so piddly that +20 is barely noticeable.

No, you still can't do that. If you don't put any points into Throw, that gives you 5 points back, not enough to buy Rank 6 of Biotics.

However it looks like we're both wrong because at level 20/X you have enough points to go 6/6/6/6/1 so the 6/6/6/5/3 build leaves 1 point unspent, you could do 6/6/6/4/4.

Math.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not sure why that makes us both wrong? You can go 6/6/6/6/1, which is what Zakmonster was saying (and I was advocating).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stickman posted:

I'm not sure why that makes us both wrong? You can go 6/6/6/6/1, which is what Zakmonster was saying (and I was advocating).

No, I meant him and I both were wrong, but for different reasons. I didn't take the floating point into account when he advocated taking Biotics 6 instead of Throw 3, since I'm right that leaving Throw at 1 only gives you 5 points, but wrong because I forgot there was 1 leftover point if the one you leave a 1 is a core power.

• Locked thread