Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Hauki posted:

So this game sounded kinda cool back in December, but I was never able to find actual product for sale and apparently I still can't to this day unless I want to pay several times MSRP. Any word if this will ever be remedied, or should I just move on?

I've seen starters back in stock locally. The next set is being released in May, and a reprint of the first set is coming in June. Supposedly both of those prints will be much much larger than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

Hauki posted:

So this game sounded kinda cool back in December, but I was never able to find actual product for sale and apparently I still can't to this day unless I want to pay several times MSRP. Any word if this will ever be remedied, or should I just move on?

The starters should be available at just about every FLGS now for MSRP ($15). Boosters still aren't around, though that should (hopefully) change next month after the next set releases.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

two_step posted:

The starters should be available at just about every FLGS now for MSRP ($15). Boosters still aren't around, though that should (hopefully) change next month after the next set releases.
Hm, didn't see any at all locally this past weekend, but I guess I'll look again the next time I'm in for something else.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

two_step posted:

They're on backorder again at FFG (the starters), sadly. Might be just temporary though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe try Amazon or Ebay?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Ultiville posted:

They have leverage in this case since my understanding is that they have to approve stores to run the pre-release events like this. Certainly they could set it up such that they have to, and the one I ran for Awakenings wasn't just "order it from the distributor", you had to apply.

Not sure if they did that with SoR though.

Also if you play in the Northeast we almost certainly have at least contacts in common. I was the Events Manager at Pandemonium in Boston until the start of this year (left to start my own store in Western MA, which is why I don't know about SoR sanctioning - store opens tomorrow so I missed it).

Whoa whoa whoa what store is this? I live in Northampton.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Caedar posted:

Whoa whoa whoa what store is this? I live in Northampton.

Purple Dragon Games in Williamstown, so the Uttmost West.

Opened actual yesterday.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So, Hyperloop + Planetary Uprising sure is a thing. A broken mess of a thing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I hope they just ban Hyperspace Jump already. There's cards in SoR that do a similar thing much more fairly. It's not unbeatable, but there's already the specter of the product shortage over the game's head, it doesn't need another thing to discourage players.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I hope they just ban Hyperspace Jump already. There's cards in SoR that do a similar thing much more fairly. It's not unbeatable, but there's already the specter of the product shortage over the game's head, it doesn't need another thing to discourage players.

On the one hand, I guess the deck not winning via "one weird trick" of the tournament rules is in an important sense an improvement.

On the other, yes, this deck should not be a thing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ultiville posted:

On the one hand, I guess the deck not winning via "one weird trick" of the tournament rules is in an important sense an improvement.

On the other, yes, this deck should not be a thing.

The bad thing is the deck still has the nuclear option, in a tournament setting at least, of running out the clock if its pilot feels they're in danger of losing and they haven't landed Planetary Uprising yet.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

The bad thing is the deck still has the nuclear option, in a tournament setting at least, of running out the clock if its pilot feels they're in danger of losing and they haven't landed Planetary Uprising yet.

Yeah, though presumably you can discard to dig to it pretty quickly in most cases. Though you might not be able to afford to use the action on it in a few, I guess.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I think this is going to become my new Leia deck once I can get my hands on a few SoR cards:

BATTLEFIELD
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Maz's Castle, Takodana (Spirit of Rebellion #155)

CHARACTER
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
2x Leia Organa, Born Leader (Awakenings #28)
2x Mon Mothma, Skilled Politician (Spirit of Rebellion #27)

UPGRADE
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
2x DH-17 Blaster Pistol (Awakenings #54)
2x IQA-11 Blaster Rifle (Awakenings #55)
2x Promotion (Awakenings #56)
2x Holdout Blaster (Awakenings #63)
2x A180 Blaster (Spirit of Rebellion #32)
2x Overkill (Spirit of Rebellion #33)
2x Wingman (Spirit of Rebellion #126)

ŻŻ

EVENT
ŻŻŻŻŻ
2x Defensive Position (Awakenings #104)
1x Field Medic (Awakenings #105)
2x Hit and Run (Awakenings #106)
2x It's a Trap! (Awakenings #107)
2x Rearm (Awakenings #109)
2x Dug in (Awakenings #139)
2x All In (Awakenings #152)
1x Block (Awakenings #153)
2x Dodge (Awakenings #155)

It's only swapping in 6 cards. You lose Ackbar's damage sides, but pick up an extra focus side and Mon Mothma's ability is pretty good as well. Overkill is just nuts. Wingman with Hit and Run and All In will be a crazy turn. I'm not sure how much I like giving up Frozen Wastes, removing that character die has been huge so far, but gaining more consistent weapon draws and combo draws might be even better. A-180 blaster was added just because it's another Red gun.

It looks like all of the cards were added to TTS, so hopefully I'll get some playtime and tweak the deck a bit.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

hadn't even thought of that!! time to annoy my friends with it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's possible to kill a character with Crime Lord in about two minutes from the start of the game thanks to Unkar Plutt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIQqCJT3y_g

I haven't been following spoilers too much because I want to be surprised when the set comes out. It's not like Magic where I have to prep for limited. But apparently there's a super fast deck with Planned Explosion and also a deck with FN-2199 and 24 weapons, and also of course the Hyperloop. Lots of low-effort combos in the new meta.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm starting to have serious doubts about the design team behind this game (or cards, more specifically).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm starting to have serious doubts about the design team behind this game (or cards, more specifically).

I almost can't believe that no designer or playtester saw FN-2199 and said hey let's try a deck that's just full of weapons and see what happens, so if that deck is actually super powerful I'm going to be a little surprised.

Hyperloop was a little obscure and I think it even took players a while to pick up on. I'll give them a pass for it existing, but not for it getting a win condition now.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

With any new game of CCG complexity, it takes a while to figure out what's going to break it. Having the hyperloop in a single set is pretty depressing, especially since "repeatable recursion is dangerous" is a lesson one could have learned from basically any other game, but I don't think they've shown themselves to be worse than expected for first contact between large player base and small dev group, which is always fraught. I don't think they've done notably worse than the vastly more successful and likely better paid and larger Hearthstone team, for example.

In terms of hyperloop getting a win condition, it's almost certainly the case that SoR was locked before Hyperloop became known, but it does surprise and disappoint me that they didn't announce any fix for hyperloop before giving it the win condition. Though if they do it like Magic and announce changes right when the set comes out, they still could.

What remains to be seen is how they deal with it and if they learn good lessons going forward.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BJPaskoff posted:

I almost can't believe that no designer or playtester saw FN-2199 and said hey let's try a deck that's just full of weapons and see what happens, so if that deck is actually super powerful I'm going to be a little surprised.

Hyperloop was a little obscure and I think it even took players a while to pick up on. I'll give them a pass for it existing, but not for it getting a win condition now.

Hyperloop used to be "try to lose more slowly than your opponent" but now it's "get out Planetary Uprising and the Millenium Falcon and win"

How does FN-2199 work? I'm thinking you overwrite the weapons to roll out and resolve dice one at a time for free? Sounds pretty bogus.

This game is fun but I think I don't want to chase the meta and participate in it competitively at all. I'll just buy a box or two of each expansion and keep some decks to play with my buds at home.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
This morning, I was able to find both starters for MSRP at a game store near me. I realized not buying them would make me a fool, so I did!

And now I realize my mistake. No one I know wants to get into another CCG. Everyone is taking the approach of "there's no point of buying any if I'm not going to buy them all" so that excludes any chance of casual play.

And none of the stores near me are playing it.

Anyone else have this problem?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I think between Fast Hands and Force Speed, Hyperloop is looking like a lot less of a hard lock.

There are some pretty powerful combos in Spirit of Rebellion but you do need a few weeks of people playing with the product before you get if its broken or not.
I'll admit to being surprised at how many tempo cards they put in SoR, but the first set was really well put together so I'll give them a fair chance before I wig out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think the answers to hyperloop require you teching for it and having less-than-ideal to useless cards against non-hyperloop decks. The game really needs sideboards for organized play. But again, the problem boils down to them making an amateur mistake regarding recursion effects in card games.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Is it cool to sell cards in here?

muggins fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 8, 2017

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Here's an observation from the real world: nobody plays with Hyperloop.

Nobody.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cool, we're talking about Earth and not Mars. Also a lot more people will play it now that it has a win condition and not just stall possibility.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Cool, we're talking about Earth and not Mars. Also a lot more people will play it now that it has a win condition and not just stall possibility.

And I'm talking about a Twin Cities Destiny community with over 100 people and FFGC tournaments regularly getting 40-50 people.

Not a single Millenium Falcon in any of the deck lists. Or any other vehicles. Unless you have Poe and only use them with his special. And no, getting Planetary Uprising isn't going to suddenly make it viable.

This circle-jerk of Hyperloop theory crafting is boring and pointless. I certainly hope you try playing with it, you'll be humiliated in 9 of 10 matches.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
What do you guys think about this deck? I'm completely unsure of it. Tried to stick to cheap upgrades (2 or less) and cheap events with at least some removal.

When I get two copies of Sabotage, I'd love to slide those in, but I don't know what to cut.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I've been running something similar except eBala and a Tie Pilot instead of Jango. You don't have to worry about going fast if they can't remove your dice anyway.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Cargo bay as the battlefield would be a decent choice too. Especially with training.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I've been running something similar except eBala and a Tie Pilot instead of Jango. You don't have to worry about going fast if they can't remove your dice anyway.

Now that I've traded for two TIE Pilots, I'm going to be using that lineup as well. I think it's strong because there's no "right" target for the opponent to start with. I figure most will focus TIE Pilot right away anyway, but at least that means they didn't nuke eBala first.

Elblanco posted:

Cargo bay as the battlefield would be a decent choice too. Especially with training.

I'll try it out if I can get my hands on it before release on the 4th; right now I've been sticking with Imperial Armory and Moisture Farm since I don't generate a lot of cash with Death Trooper out there.

I'd really like to fit in Friends in Low Places, since it's another zero cost that helps me get around It's A Trap! and Dodge or Guard, but I have no idea what I should cut for it. What do you guys think? (I also feel light on removal with only 8 die-removal cards)

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
I've been trying out this deck at a couple of local events: http://swdestinydb.com/deck/view/185817

It works pretty well, people really want to kill aurra first, which lets tie pilot live a little longer. It seems really resource hungry though, if I can get a couple early resource rolls plus some damage it does great, otherwise it can stall out.

Needs tweaking, but that will probably wait til SoR is out and I can get things like training and whatnot.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
If any of you happen to be at Star Wars Celebration, we'll be doing some staff challenges where if you beat us you get a Spirit of Rebellion booster pack!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:lol: Someone got really butthurt that Aaron doesn't post lists from the Stele Open. It was specifically Destiny, but you can look at list juggler online and X-wing is also absent. There's a huge rant and it's ongoing on fb right now but the relevant bit is below:

quote:

Decklists are expected to be provided after a national or regional event. That is standard practice, and you were advertising that this was the largest Destiny Tournament to date. The community is much more important than the wishes of a few players that are concerned their single pieces of "tech" in their lists will ruin their chances are worlds if they are exposed.

:lol: I guess it's just like MTG where people care way too much about what top __ played just so they know what the ~metagame~ is. I've seen people who cared about that for x-wing too but I wouldn't know since I don't really follow x-wing online.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

:lol: Someone got really butthurt that Aaron doesn't post lists from the Stele Open. It was specifically Destiny, but you can look at list juggler online and X-wing is also absent. There's a huge rant and it's ongoing on fb right now but the relevant bit is below:

:lol: I guess it's just like MTG where people care way too much about what top __ played just so they know what the ~metagame~ is. I've seen people who cared about that for x-wing too but I wouldn't know since I don't really follow x-wing online.

On topic, I hate that there is the Destiny Shapers Facebook group and the Star Wars Destiny Facebook group and they both have 95% the same people posting in them, so I get to see the same posts twice in my feed. I imagine the only reason the two groups aren't merged are the egos of the admins of the groups.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

So I'm sure nerds are blowing it out of proportion as they usually do, but there are lots of legit reasons that best practice for major competitive events is to publish deck lists. And it is the case that in most situations where people don't, they're catering to the self-interested desires of a very small number of players. If I were to write a set of tournament practices for any game with customization, I'd specify that all sanctioned events that weren't strictly local needed to publish deck lists after the event.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Ultiville posted:

So I'm sure nerds are blowing it out of proportion as they usually do, but there are lots of legit reasons that best practice for major competitive events is to publish deck lists. And it is the case that in most situations where people don't, they're catering to the self-interested desires of a very small number of players. If I were to write a set of tournament practices for any game with customization, I'd specify that all sanctioned events that weren't strictly local needed to publish deck lists after the event.

100% agree with this. It's silly that they wouldn't do it. Not worth getting up in arms about, but when the only reason NOT to is to cater to the aforementioned desires of a small number of people compared to the good of sharing the knowledge, it gets a big ol' eye roll out of me.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Jeez I'm glad I'm not in that discussion then, that looks stupid as poo poo. Just all around. Gotta protect that super secret tech before worlds, cause that meta will last a while.

What is it about these fb groups that attracts assholes?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Merauder posted:

100% agree with this. It's silly that they wouldn't do it. Not worth getting up in arms about, but when the only reason NOT to is to cater to the aforementioned desires of a small number of people compared to the good of sharing the knowledge, it gets a big ol' eye roll out of me.

It's doubly silly because it creates this cliquey kind of feel that doesn't serve tournament organizers well in the medium to long term either. So it's really just shooting yourself in the foot because you don't want to tell a couple of people that playing your list in a public event means you've exposed it to the public.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

two_step posted:

Well, got the starters locally for MSRP at least, can't build legal decks with just that though I gather and no sign of any boosters yet. Dude behind the counter said whatever they received in the next shipment was probably all allocated to preorders already anyway. I guess I can gently caress around and play the starters against each other with a friend for the indefinite future?

bowmore posted:

Maybe try Amazon or Ebay?

They were like $35-40 each when I looked there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I've played 36 games of Destiny in 3 days for the staff challenges at Celebration. More today too! ePoe/eMaz is bonkers, and eQui Gon/eRey improves a lot too. We've also had success with Jabba/Unkar/Royal Guard and eKrennic/Death Trooper.