Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Aces High posted:

when Toy Story 2 came out I hadn't seen Aliens and I hadn't seen The Terminator so I couldn't make that judgement call. However I still stand by my statement that Pixar, as a studio, is the only studio that consistently releases good sequels :colbert:
Cars 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Well poo poo, now you've got me looking kinda dumb. :(

Wha? I was just making funsies!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Unmature posted:

Wha? I was just making funsies!

Nah it's okay, Regalingualius had their finger and their thumb in the shape of an L on their forehead.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

hey man 1/4 bad ones is a pretty good record in comparison to most other companies, especially animation. That and I wouldn't exactly say Cars 2 is bad, hell I remembered enjoying it more than Cars but I suppose that isn't saying much since I don't hold much of an opinion on Cars in general

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

True enough. As far as Pixar sequels go, thus far:
  • Toy Story 2: A solid follow-up to the original. I sort of liked the role reversal with Woody now being the one going through an existential crisis and needing to be brought back to Andy, and Buzz being the one to try and save him. Also, I dug the toy store and elevator sets an awful lot.
  • Cars 2: Well, I liked it okay enough when I first saw it, but I don't think I have much desire to ever return to it. Mater isn't the worst side-character in the history of films, but focusing the movie so heavily on him seems a tad misguided. Was an okay spy movie, though I think trying to make that kind of film out of this universe just sort of highlighted how messed up the logistics behind this world kind of is.
  • Toy Story 3: The bits focusing on the toys coping with Andy outgrowing them were really good! I'm not sure if the whole bit with the school will hold up on rewatching (going to assume it would); I recall thinking it was a clever solution to the outgrowing problem when it was the original intended ending for the first Toy Story, so it was maybe a little odd that they decided to turn that concept into something to escape from. Still, the solution they went with worked about as well, in all honesty, and was one of the more earnestly tear-jerking moments in the series. Also, it has a former Bond actor as a hedgehog.
  • Monsters University: Fun enough prequel, though I wouldn't say it's on par with the Toy Story sequels. In retrospect, I'm not sure a college film was exactly what I wanted out of a Monsters Inc. follow-up, though it was handled well enough (and the ending of how they wound up in the roles they had at the start of Monsters Inc. was more than a little surprising, if glossed over fairly quickly in a sort of "okay, so it didn't quite happen how you expected it would, but we can't contradict how the first film started so yes, they still turned out okay" kind of way.
  • Finding Dory: Solid enough film that I was able to thoroughly enjoy in spite of barely remembering at the time how Finding Nemo went, barring the outcome of "they found Nemo". This one was a lot more of a Toy Story-level sequel to me than Monsters University or Cars 2 was. Dug the setting, the new cast was quite memorable, and the climax was silly to the point of being awesome (OTTERS).
  • Cars 3: Probably more like the sequel Cars deserved than what they did for Cars 2, and certainly more in-line with their other sequels. Lord knows if it'll be any good, though.
  • Planes: Doesn't count because DisneyToon made it.
Still a pretty good track record; hopefully this rubs off on Ralph Breaks the Internet and Frozen 2 (and any potential Zootopia follow-up). Just don't pull another Cars 2; it would somewhat annoy me if Frozen 2 was a Rambo-esque film featuring Olaf. (Though now that I've typed this out, the concept sounds hilarious, and now I actually kind of want to see it.)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Shadow Hog posted:

Still a pretty good track record; hopefully this rubs off on Ralph Breaks the Internet and Frozen 2 (and any potential Zootopia follow-up). Just don't pull another Cars 2; it would somewhat annoy me if Frozen 2 was a Rambo-esque film featuring Olaf. (Though now that I've typed this out, the concept sounds hilarious, and now I actually kind of want to see it.)

Elsa: It's over, Olaf. It's over!

Olaf: Nothing is over! Nothing!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

GRFT didn't take the news of Uncle Grandpa ending that well

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Don't doxx me

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

That Tiger is fat yo

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
guess shere khan got a lot of those jungle book profits, huh.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
As a kid I had a weird grudge against The Pagemaster because the trailer has an ADR'd line of Macaulay Culkin going "I'm a cartoon!" but it wasn't in the actual movie. Partially because the movie lied to me, partially because being aware that he was animated would have been way more interesting than what the actual movie was.

Well what do you know, I guess Stalking Cat was reincarnated as a tiger after all.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
:confused: That line is in the movie though? To which the Pagemaster replies "You are an illustration."

it's me, I'm the idiot who enjoys the Pagemaster (though I certainly wouldn't put it on my top 10)

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

[*]Toy Story 3: The bits focusing on the toys coping with Andy outgrowing them were really good! I'm not sure if the whole bit with the school will hold up on rewatching (going to assume it would); I recall thinking it was a clever solution to the outgrowing problem when it was the original intended ending for the first Toy Story, so it was maybe a little odd that they decided to turn that concept into something to escape from. Still, the solution they went with worked about as well, in all honesty, and was one of the more earnestly tear-jerking moments in the series. Also, it has a former Bond actor as a hedgehog.

Toys, um, don't survive in a school? :confused: It's really, really bad for the toy's lifespan, basically equivalent to working in a nuclear test facility that doesn't give a poo poo about the health of its workers? This seems pretty intuitively obvious, but in case it wasn't, the film fuckin' walks you through it?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
top ten family-friendly animated films

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. The Iron Giant
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. Lilo & Stitch
5. Rango
6. The Incredibles
7. Coraline
8. WALL-E
9. My Neighbor Totoro
10. A Town Called Panic

this is my aesthetic.

I loved The Great Mouse Detective and The Fox and the Hound, but the last time I saw either, I hadn't yet graduated from high school.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I saw Your Name today and it was really cool. Unfortunately only six people (including me) in the theater, but it was 2pm on a weekday.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
TOP TEN LISTS OH BOY

The Prince of Egypt
Spirited Away
The Lego Movie
Finding Nemo
All Dogs Go To Heaven
The Iron Giant
Pinocchio
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Great Mouse Detective
The Wallace and Gromit collection (since just the movie isn't enough)

My list is less "these are movie I think are the best" and more "I have a niece and these are the movies I'm most excited to show her"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just saw the new Smurfs movie, and I thought it was pretty good! And I usually hate Smurfs!

I skipped a lot of posts in this thread, did anyone else see and enjoy the smurfs?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Just saw the new Smurfs movie, and I thought it was pretty good! And I usually hate Smurfs!

I skipped a lot of posts in this thread, did anyone else see and enjoy the smurfs?

Honestly it's the first time it's mentioned probably since it was announced.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

21 Muns posted:

Toys, um, don't survive in a school? :confused: It's really, really bad for the toy's lifespan, basically equivalent to working in a nuclear test facility that doesn't give a poo poo about the health of its workers? This seems pretty intuitively obvious, but in case it wasn't, the film fuckin' walks you through it?
And yet, at the same time, the end of the film portrays it in the same positive light that made it seem like a clever solution in the first place, now that Lotso is out of the picture.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Glad Smurfs is good. I will probably go with my boyfriend to see it as the smurfs are his thing

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly it's the first time it's mentioned probably since it was announced.

Yeah, I can see that. The past two semi-live action Smurfs movies were pretty bad, so I can understand why people would have low expectations for this one. But, surprisingly, it's actually funny and well written. No dated pop culture jokes, just lots of slapstick and character humor. Oh, and the animation is gorgeous, although the magic forest they visit does kind of look like a rip off of the jungle in Avatar (guess that color pallet just looks good against creatures with blue skin).

It's nothing ground breaking, but it's a solid kids movie and I think adults who enjoy animation would like it as well.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

So I just remembered Galaxy High existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buhOXTbyAag

Holy poo poo, I ALSO remember that Galaxy High existed! I can't believe there are two of us!

Man, that's one of those old cartoons that kind of feels like a weird fever dream.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Spatula City posted:

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. The Iron Giant
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. Lilo & Stitch
5. Rango
6. The Incredibles
7. Coraline
8. WALL-E
9. My Neighbor Totoro
10. A Town Called Panic

That's a drat good list, and it's nice to see I'm not the only one who treasures A Town Called Panic.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Glad Smurfs is good. I will probably go with my boyfriend to see it as the smurfs are his thing
fat furry smurfs

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
actually i get uncanny valley from smurfs but if they had big ears and tails and fat little bods and like cat eyes or something i'd embrace them wholeheartedly

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Holy poo poo, I ALSO remember that Galaxy High existed! I can't believe there are two of us!

Man, that's one of those old cartoons that kind of feels like a weird fever dream.

YouTube just suggested to me Gravedale High, which is a very similar thing. I watched the episode, and I've definitely seen it before a long time ago. Also, it stars Rick fuckin' Moranis as the main teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StRffETNzyk

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

So, most cartoon shows from the 80s, then.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

How much of Gargamel is there in the new smurfs?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The_Doctor posted:

YouTube just suggested to me Gravedale High, which is a very similar thing. I watched the episode, and I've definitely seen it before a long time ago. Also, it stars Rick fuckin' Moranis as the main teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StRffETNzyk

I had a magazine (it might have been Disney Adventures as it had started printing in 1990) that talked about the latest Saturday morning cartoons for 1990. Gravedale High was one of them, along with Kid 'n Play, New Kids on the Block, and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs2EHgUI6Mo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jirkvwl2_4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iv82iJ_MT4

I watched everything but the NKotB cartoon, at least. Can't remember poo poo about the Kid 'n Play cartoon, but Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure was one of my favorite movies (Bogus Journey hadn't come out yet), so the cartoon is basically the same (they even got the cast to voice themselves for the first season!).

Anyway, Sing. What was the point of Mike? He's a real piece of poo poo to everyone, exposes Buster's true prize money and destroys his theater while tangling with the bear gangsters who he hosed over, gets to sing My Way anyway, has a bit of a musical realization when Meena sings Stevie Wonder to show that maybe there's more to music than Sinatra (maybe to show that he's really not all that much of a dick after all when he still totally is?), then has a final scene that's left open to interpretation whether or not the bear killed and ate him anyway (along with his girlfriend).

Why the final scene anyway? It's like they didn't know what to do with Mike and just ended his story like that.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 8, 2017

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Anyway, Sing. What was the point of Mike? He's a real piece of poo poo to everyone, exposes Buster's true prize money and destroys his theater while tangling with the bear gangsters who he hosed over, gets to sing My Way anyway, has a bit of a musical realization when Meena sings Stevie Wonder to show that maybe there's more to music than Sinatra (maybe to show that he's really not all that much of a dick after all when he still totally is?), then has a final scene that's left open to interpretation whether or not the bear killed and ate him anyway (along with his girlfriend).

Why the final scene anyway? It's like they didn't know what to do with Mike and just ended his story like that.

I think the entire point of Mike is so Seth MacFarlane could focus on something besides Family Guy and pushing for the second season of Cosmos and be a dick while also singing.

Basically, he put all of modern Brian Griffin in there with Sinatra and bam...there you go.

I'm also super sure he died. I'd be surprised if he showed up in the 2020 sequel. I'd be surprised when he shows up in the 2020 sequel and there is no mention of the bears at all.

I liked the movie but I hated Mike and I'm sure there will be a gaping plothole in the sequel that will remain completely unmentioned when he comes back.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How much of Gargamel is there in the new smurfs?

There is a lot of Gargamel and he is in peak Saturday-morning-cartoon villain form.

Also, Julia Roberts is in it which kind of took me by surprise (no, she's not playing Gargamel).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

SatansBestBuddy posted:

My list is less "these are movie I think are the best" and more "I have a niece and these are the movies I'm most excited to show her"

You're most excited to show her Pinocchio?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's a drat good list, and it's nice to see I'm not the only one who treasures A Town Called Panic.

it's a rambling anarchic shaggy dog story told as if by a child with no sense of what does and doesn't make sense. I love anarchic comedy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Go see Your Name right the gently caress now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Aces High posted:

You're most excited to show her Pinocchio?

Seeing children's reaction to the transformation scene is always a good time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Go see Your Name right the gently caress now.

I'm interested in seeing the dub at some point (theater only had one dub showing a day), esp since the songs have English versions. Not enough to double up on the pricy tickets at the local theater though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A fair number of people are mentioning Ghibli films, but not many are mentioning Porco Ross and I think only one Whisper of the Heart, which I always thought were their best entries.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Your Name is so good. Definitely lived up to all the hype surrounding it being a box office phenom in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh hey, Cartoon Network is showing Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. The movie, not the series that they've been showing nonstop and which is the most boring garbage I've ever seen.

E: I had forgotten that Flint's head actually had a shape resembling a human head and wasn't just a lumpy upside down L.