Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i got Death up to rank 5 and Sun up to rank 2 so im ready to bust this SP racket wide open

Infinity Gaia posted:

There are a couple ways to use Treasure Demons (of which Regent is the first). You figured out one of them, another is that when you unlock the ability to sacrifice a demon to give EXP to another, Treasure Demons give a x3 modifier to the EXP gained. They also usually can be made into pretty decent accessories once you unlock THAT option.

And yeah I'd say you should save up a decent amount of quests before going into Mementos, saves some time. Mishima does give more eventually, and you can sometimes get one as an S.Link progress requirement. Early on getting 3 or 4 is fine.
Oh wow, nice, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Baton Pass Ryuji is the avatar of death

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Does each individual species of Shadow have its own set route of negotiation answers? Do you pick the same answers for every Pyro Jack, for example?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mailer posted:

The third palace boss mechanic is so fun you guys!

"Do you want to throw an item to distract from damage you could already avoid? (Y/N)"
"Y"
"Ok go reload your save because I'm going to throw a rare SP restore item because gently caress you!"

The funny part is even with a 2-man crew I got to nearly the end of the fight before ~totally random~ multiple misses at a critical point screwed me.

The game is lucky I had three balms of life and the boss was almost dead but that motherfucking

that bullshit drat near wiped my team and I blame the game wholly.

EDIT: Does Yusuke ultimately double down on either magic or physical or is he basically Ice Kanji throughout?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So far all I do is bring Skull and Panther with the new whoever as the fourth for each dungeon. I rarely ever see the need to switch from that at the moment when the cat is just a healbot that sits out of most heists now.

Also gently caress throwing an item for that fatass Mafia nobody. I just smacked him off his little turd ball and took his machine gun bullets with a full on physical null. Eat it rear end in a top hat!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
quote this post if you also reload a save if you forgot to watch the tv the night before

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Harlock posted:

Baton Pass Ryuji is the avatar of death

"I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture; as Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Leave it to me! Captain Kidd!'"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Does each individual species of Shadow have its own set route of negotiation answers? Do you pick the same answers for every Pyro Jack, for example?

There are four types of Shadow personalities that vary among species. These personalities determine the answers, not the species of shadow. Any Shadow can be Gloomy, and Gloomy shadows like vague answers, for example.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Arist posted:

There are four types of Shadow personalities that vary among species. These personalities determine the answers, not the species of shadow. Any Shadow can be Gloomy, and Gloomy shadows like vague answers, for example.

Yeah, but I was wondering if it was more "set" than that, because I have trouble reading the intended emotion of the various answers sometimes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Yeah, but I was wondering if it was more "set" than that, because I have trouble reading the intended emotion of the various answers sometimes.

It's not. This is probably some of the least arcane negotiation has been in SMT and it's still something that I don't really feel has much of a place in Persona anymore.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Crabtree posted:

So far all I do is bring Skull and Panther with the new whoever as the fourth for each dungeon. I rarely ever see the need to switch from that at the moment when the cat is just a healbot that sits out of most heists now.

Also gently caress throwing an item for that fatass Mafia nobody. I just smacked him off his little turd ball and took his machine gun bullets with a full on physical null. Eat it rear end in a top hat!

That was actually kind of entertaining for me.

"You should throw something to distract the guy!"

*looks at his party full of AoE physical attacks that last time this happened wrecked him in one turn*

Um. No.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Of all the things they brought in/beta tested in Golden, I'm pleased the "See what everyone else did today" function came back, it's great fun to just see what even is possible. A lot of folks unlocked Fortune and even maxed out Charm well before I did.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So for the "Moon" co op with the kid. How does the "Obscene XP boost" work? Is it not shown in the results screen? I only got the kid to 10 so I could try to get to 50 before NG+

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Jesus the Moon Confidant. So, like, he's bananas, right? I think I'll end up having to kick his rear end in Mementos bc yikes this dude. Before, I thought he was just a little turd hanger-on but now...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

HellOnEarth posted:

Jesus the Moon Confidant. So, like, he's bananas, right? I think I'll end up having to kick his rear end in Mementos bc yikes this dude. Before, I thought he was just a little turd hanger-on but now...

Isn't that just regular Moon arcana development anyway? They always seem to be really weird people.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Crabtree posted:

Isn't that just regular Moon arcana development anyway? They always seem to be really weird people.

I never played the original Persona 3's but Shinji was pretty normal, albeit sad and Ai was kind of a jerk but this is kind of on another level of weird.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HellOnEarth posted:

I never played the original Persona 3's but Shinji was pretty normal, albeit sad and Ai was kind of a jerk but this is kind of on another level of weird.

Shinji is not the true Moon link for P3, and I'd ask you not to disrespect the Gourmet King in such a manner in the future.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Shinji is not the true Moon link for P3, and I'd ask you not to disrespect the Gourmet King in such a manner in the future.

I am not having any kind of relationship with this guy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Gourmet King is so awful, he wraps around to being great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally got some time to play, the Mementos introduction cutscene is great and I'm just going to just drive Morgana around that's incredible, Mementoh God what is this music.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah wow, Sun Rank 2 is so great. Managed to get over 12,000 yen off an Apsaras by just pushing my luck constantly

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like the music fight me

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

I like the music fight me

I often fall asleep to the night theme because of how soothing it is.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Crabtree posted:

moon in p4 is the only slink, maybe even the only character in the whole game, that doesn't have a one dimensional personality/issue & she's not nearly as weird as "fat guy that gets roped into doomsday cults" or "basically moot circa 2005"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They're probably talking about liking Mementos music, which is hosed up.

Also hosed up that Morgana can't drift.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Any suggested way to grind for charm?

Best way I know of is the bath but it feels like slow going.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

geri_khan posted:

Any suggested way to grind for charm?

Best way I know of is the bath but it feels like slow going.

Sun and Devil confidants both give substantial Charm per rank

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

darealkooky posted:

moon in p4 is the only slink, maybe even the only character in the whole game, that doesn't have a one dimensional personality/issue & she's not nearly as weird as "fat guy that gets roped into doomsday cults" or "basically moot circa 2005"

I like Ai too but this is a bit much

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sun and Devil confidants both give substantial Charm per rank

I have neither. Oh well. I know who Sun is, but never seem to find time to go activate him. Guess I'll get on that. Thanks.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're probably talking about liking Mementos music, which is hosed up.

Also hosed up that Morgana can't drift.

Wait are we supposed to not like the Mementos music because I think it's great

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

darealkooky posted:

Well there was Naoki, who had to deal with loss, returning to society, and getting over his dislike of Junes. It just didn't have time to let all those things play out well.

Ai is still arguably the best of the set, but I think I have a soft spot for all the school-related links except Sun. Everyone outside of school or the Dojimas were kinda bad though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Arist posted:

I like Ai too but this is a bit much

she's not an amazing character for the ages or anything but for the most part everyone else has issues that boil down to a single sentence like "I don't enjoy having large parts of my life decided for me" or "People give me a hard time for liking girly things" that gets introduced when you meet them & then at the end of the slink they either overcome that issue or realize actually they don't mind it after all due to you telling them everything they want to hear. there's nothing really wrong with this but it gets a little repetitive

meanwhile saki has an actual, for a lack of a better word, twist to her where she's actively changed her persona(lity) due to previous trauma and squaring away all of this takes a bit more effort than a "I guess I actually want to run the inn after all" epiphany. the only other slink that really comes close is naoto (which is confidentially the only slink besides ai that you can actually gently caress up and reverse in that game)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Stray thoughts~

Kind of upset at how fast I beat the second dungeon boss that I didn't even get to do the special order. It's funny how the same Personas/Demons are useful in every game. Right now I have Leanan Sidhe as my boss magic user and Oni as my physical guy. That carried me through a lot of SMT4.

Is there a costume / clothes shop to buy other outfits or did they make them all DLC from other games?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

Stray thoughts~

Kind of upset at how fast I beat the second dungeon boss that I didn't even get to do the special order. It's funny how the same Personas/Demons are useful in every game. Right now I have Leanan Sidhe as my boss magic user and Oni as my physical guy. That carried me through a lot of SMT4.

Is there a costume / clothes shop to buy other outfits or did they make them all DLC from other games?

The only time I saw him go back into the painting for a third time was when half my team was dead and I was waiting for a reset.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
They really don't want you to beat the first dungeon on the first day you can really go through it, do they?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUWQFnC2zqU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The 100k SP regen accessory is nuts for the early game it feels.

EDIT: What level does Ryuji start doing serious damage? Right now he's not much better than anyone else on my team, but I hear he gets nuts.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hated dungeon 4 and found it's boss stupid and boring.

But maybe it's just because I can't stand desert levels as they bore me to tears no matter how you try to spice it up. Least the story was better then 3

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

darealkooky posted:

she's not an amazing character for the ages or anything but for the most part everyone else has issues that boil down to a single sentence like "I don't enjoy having large parts of my life decided for me" or "People give me a hard time for liking girly things" that gets introduced when you meet them & then at the end of the slink they either overcome that issue or realize actually they don't mind it after all due to you telling them everything they want to hear. there's nothing really wrong with this but it gets a little repetitive

meanwhile saki has an actual, for a lack of a better word, twist to her where she's actively changed her persona(lity) due to previous trauma and squaring away all of this takes a bit more effort than a "I guess I actually want to run the inn after all" epiphany. the only other slink that really comes close is naoto (which is confidentially the only slink besides ai that you can actually gently caress up and reverse in that game)

That's not what you said dude, you said every single character other than Ai is one-dimensional. That doesn't just mean "they have a specific character arc that gets plainly resolved," it means "this character exhibits one major character trait/need/desire, period."

I don't actually want to have a slapfight about this because who cares, it's just weird to so thoroughly minimize every single character in that game to make such an esoteric point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why isn't there a "Morgana shut the gently caress up in battle" button oh my god you stupid stupid cat