Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

nessin posted:

Probably no one answered before because no one knows what you're asking for. "Ruler" ships and stations are not a thing and never have been. You're either talking about a mod, or maybe the Levithan units which are still there but I don't get why you'd think of them as "ruler" units.

Totally was for autocratic governments, rulers could build one super item, different per different type of autocratic government. I'm shocked none of them were moved to civics.

I don't think they're in anymore, I saw a mod for it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
I feel like an idiot for turning my battleship into giant aircraft carriers, but I always get giddy watching them launch all those bombers.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Back Hack posted:

I feel like an idiot for turning my battleship into giant aircraft carriers, but I always get giddy watching them launch all those bombers.

Flak is either really good, or really bad against fighters, depending on the side you're on.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Also, do Meritocracy civic and Polytechnic Education in the Exploration tradition not stack? I have both, but all my leaders start at skill level 2 (should be 3?)

Edit: existing leaders in the recruiting pool stay at whatever level they were, new ones start at the new level.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I got my rear end handed to me by the AI in a very definitive manner, despite being a fanatic purifier with 41% fire rate. So I did some digging and here's the static modifiers file on difficulties.

code:
##########################################################################
# Difficulty Modifiers - not applied to vassals of players
##########################################################################

difficulty_insane_ai = {
	tile_resource_minerals_mult = 1
	tile_resource_energy_mult = 1
	tile_resource_physics_research_mult = 1
	tile_resource_society_research_mult = 1
	tile_resource_engineering_research_mult = 1
	navy_size_mult = 1
}

difficulty_hard_ai = {
	tile_resource_minerals_mult = 0.5
	tile_resource_energy_mult = 0.5
	tile_resource_physics_research_mult = 0.5
	tile_resource_society_research_mult = 0.5
	tile_resource_engineering_research_mult = 0.5
	navy_size_mult = 0.5
}

# For Fallen Empires
difficulty_insane_special = {
	ship_weapon_damage = 1.0
	ship_hitpoints_mult = 1.0
	ship_shield_hp_mult = 1.0
}

difficulty_hard_special = {
	ship_weapon_damage = 0.5
	ship_hitpoints_mult = 0.5
	ship_shield_hp_mult = 0.5
Am I reading the difficulty_hard_special to mean AI aggressiveness? Because I had the AI on normal difficulty but aggressive AI and a 50% damage and HP bonus would explain everything about the beating I just took. If true the AI is basically unbeatable on any difficulties above normal because holy crap.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Yeah AI cheats are so heavy, I modded that file to be a lot less ridiculous.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ugh, I assigned a system with a holy world in it to a Sector without thinking, and they immediately colonized the drat thing. Now I can't even cancel the colonization...

Demiurge4 posted:

So I got my rear end handed to me by the AI in a very definitive manner, despite being a fanatic purifier with 41% fire rate. So I did some digging and here's the static modifiers file on difficulties.

Am I reading the difficulty_hard_special to mean AI aggressiveness? Because I had the AI on normal difficulty but aggressive AI and a 50% damage and HP bonus would explain everything about the beating I just took. If true the AI is basically unbeatable on any difficulties above normal because holy crap.

difficulty_hard_special pretty clearly applies to Fallen Empires...

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
does the power rating on AI fleets take into account the bonuses? I assume it must, since otherwise I would be getting beaten up by equal-sized fleets way more often

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I didn't touch Stellaris in a while because once you sectored your planets building a fleet became a chore.

Can you now access shipyard in your sectors easier or did they somehow make fleet management less awkward?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Einbauschrank posted:

I didn't touch Stellaris in a while because once you sectored your planets building a fleet became a chore.

Can you now access shipyard in your sectors easier or did they somehow make fleet management less awkward?

You could always access shipyards in your sectors, my dude!

Bohemian Nights posted:

You don't need to unsector worlds to use their spaceports, they are always available for both upgrading sections and building ships. The easiest way around your problem would just be to bind however many spaceports you need to Ctrl 1-0 and effectivize your production thusly. If anyone's been limiting their space building to whatever core worlds they control all this time, I feel sorry for you!

Same for building armies.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

For those of you who are playing MP, the save files are jacked up for some people and your co-players can not select their respective factions. The current work around for this is opting in for the beta build on steam.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
For people that thought Habitats came too late to be useful, there's a couple mods now that lower the prereqs

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Can an egalitarian xenophobe not enslave a species they syncretically evolved with?

Actually, can egalitarian xenophobes not enslave aliens at all? I've never played them before.

Edit: My goal is to make an AI rival that's a "democratic crusader" personality type, with slaves. Is that possible at all?

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 8, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BenRGamer posted:

For people that thought Habitats came too late to be useful, there's a couple mods now that lower the prereqs

Perfect, I always thought space habs should be really early on. Like if I had a pre-ftl mod it would be an early tech. Do you build orbitals in your own home system or do you invest in FTL and try to find bigger better planets that don't cost a fortune to build? Instead it's a late game thing that doesn't seem to matter.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aethernet posted:

You get robots plus Powered Exoskeletons, meaning a +15% buff to mineral production at the start, and one you can have while picking Weak.

Yeah, I picked weak and nonadaptive. Mechanist starts just 3 techs away from having droids (2 administrative ones in social and the droids tech), which you'll probably unlock or be researching by the time you're ready to start your 4th or 5th colony. Coupled with expansion tree (all colonies will start with 2 robots now, the rest will migrate after them if they can) and mastery of nature as your first perk and hello colonies everywhere. The 5% cheaper upkeep for robots isn't too terrible either, especially since you're probably going to go synthetic evolution. It does kinda suck that the civic gets locked in permanently though.

I'm having fun with this, either way.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Truga posted:

I'm having fun with this, either way.

This, really. I went with the mechanist start on a bunch of pacifist materialist squids for my first Utopia playthrough, because I wanted to go down the all-robot path and it sounded fitting. I'm not au fait with the numbers, but they're currently covering about a fifth of the galaxy, every other empire is behind them in tech, and they've evolved into cybernetic ultra-squids (quite literally - without being near my computer, they changed their name from something like Gorothi to Ultra Gorothi - I love their arrogance).

I'm no expert on this game, this is probably the furthest I've ever played through, but I'm having a blast.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Eiba posted:

Actually, can egalitarian xenophobes not enslave aliens at all? I've never played them before.

I think the answer now is no they can't and it's a known bug.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Something is seriously wrong with the AI Cheating. I started a new game this morning to test my early Vassal/Tributary rush just to make sure I hadn't been imagining the possibility. Which I hadn't in a general sense but this time I almost got shot down hard by my first AI Neighbor. On normal I literally rushed to my max fleet capacity. Aside from building two armies and three buildings I devoted every resource to building corvettes. I even got lucky with a trader nearby so I scrapped my initial defensive armies and construction ship so I could trade for minerals to make it faster. As soon as I hit 19 corvettes I attacked my neighbor as he had the second colony building and would finish by the time I got into orbit. Maybe I could shave seconds off the timeline with better planet management but otherwise I can't imagine a way to significantly change how fast I could do this.

My target was not an advanced start and was a randomly generated race. Despite me rushing towards this one goal the AI managed to push out a second colony, build a frontier outpost, establish at least 4 mining outposts that I saw (probably more as the frontier outpost was on the opposite side of where I came from so I just knew it was there from the border and war dec option to destroy it), a level 2 starport and have 18 corvettes to my 19. On normal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Perfect, I always thought space habs should be really early on. Like if I had a pre-ftl mod it would be an early tech. Do you build orbitals in your own home system or do you invest in FTL and try to find bigger better planets that don't cost a fortune to build? Instead it's a late game thing that doesn't seem to matter.

Personally I think some kind of orbital habitat upgrade sequence would make most sense for habitable worlds, you just build space elevators and slowly build out an orbital ring, which gets more slots the more you invest into it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm not certain the AI is much if any better with the new slavery system than it was with the old one.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm not certain the AI is much if any better with the new slavery system than it was with the old one.

I assume that's a conquered species, because it isn't possible to set your starting species to a policy which enslaves all of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if that's happening that's actually your problem, I think, because you set the species to 100% slavery, they can't be free on the tiles that would benefit from it. You either need to resettle or purge them off those tiles and replace them with a free or caste species, or set them to castes.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

You could always access shipyards in your sectors, my dude!

I know. But it was more trouble than in the core sectors. There were more clicks involved tha necessary, IMO.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mister Adequate posted:

I assume that's a conquered species, because it isn't possible to set your starting species to a policy which enslaves all of them.

I assume the AI building labs on a slave planet might be the real problem?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Einbauschrank posted:

I know. But it was more trouble than in the core sectors. There were more clicks involved tha necessary, IMO.

It's two clicks, hotkey and then v to select shipyard. If you've already got the shipyard tab open, selecting the next one is only one click. You have 10 hotkeys, you can easily spare 5 for shipyards since civilian ships don't really need any, I think army hokeys get reset if the disembark/embark, and you basically never have 5 fleets that you need to access often. Hell it's not even any more clicks than core sectors, the only problem is if you run out of hotkeys, but just how many shipyards do you need in use?

GlyphGryph posted:

I assume the AI building labs on a slave planet might be the real problem?

Probably came with the planet.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Man I dunno what people are talking about with Habitats, because I just finished building my first one and it's loving broken, I'm raking in stupid amounts of almost anything I want.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah they're basically an infinite energy button, but the point is that they come so late that you don't need it anyways.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah if that's happening that's actually your problem, I think, because you set the species to 100% slavery, they can't be free on the tiles that would benefit from it. You either need to resettle or purge them off those tiles and replace them with a free or caste species, or set them to castes.

It's not my planet. I was more referring to the fact that the AI Empire (that controls the planet) still has research labs and power plants there, or hasn't moved the slave pops. Either way working zero income tiles just seems terrible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I went from running a negative and having to trade regularly for energy to stay afloat to having an abundance. :shrug:

e' ^ AI has decided that those guys have to be slaves then, might be due to their government form demanding it, or they might just be RPing.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Well the price I pay for my Covenant with the Whisperers in the Void is starting to take effect. One of my planets has been swept with madness, adding 50 unrest. Luckily, between being fanatic spiritualist, the greater good tradition, the psi-corps on my homeworld, and the happy pops on the planet, it's still 0 unrest. The covenant tooltip still says there will be a price to pay though, so this could just be the beginning.

Also I've noticed that if by suppression and re-education on the worlds that're home to its pops you completely annihilate a faction, there's no way to stop the suppression and get rid of the -1 to influence. To be fair the one point's not a big deal at this stage in the game for me, but it's something I noticed after the damned xenophobe faction went away.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 8, 2017

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hey guys, couple of questions. I haven't really played since last June. How are the two content releases since then? Leviathans, and recently Utopia? Which should I pick up. I assume Utopia is a must pick up, but how about Leviathans?

Also, with all the balance patches and such lately, can someone give me a solid civilization start that isn't too complicated?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Some updates from my mod-experiences:

Since I actually went through and bought Utopia, I decided to deal with Stellaris robot-hating attitude (Seriously, one portrait for every robot?!) and replaced the standard model with two types of flying drones. Each in two variants, so instead of one boring robot you have now four generic ones fitting for every species.

The droid and robot replacements are a bit bulkier and more mechanical looking, while the Synth and AI replacements are looking a bit smoother, with rounded edges and stuff. Finding pictures and reworking them was as always a real headache, but luckily people like drones and robots a lot more than spiders, so I found some good ones.

Here's the link to the mod.

Also, some people wanted my monster-centipede portrait alone in its own mod, so I did that, too:

Huge black-and-red centiped, with a new arthropod-namelist as bonus.

And now I'll go through my old empires for the goon mod and try to rework the best of them for the new edition!

Edit:

I forgot this:

Disclaimer I'm poo poo at this whole animating-stuff so all my portraits are static pictures, no animations. Believe me, the few times I tried making animations I deleted the result out of sheer embarassment. You're not missing much.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 8, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, habitats need to be unlocked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier. I control 70% of the galaxy now :negative:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The UI for picking racial traits could use some reworking. It took me a long time to figure out that hovering over the red text on the left is where it says why your choices are invalid.

Also does philosopher king actually do anything?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah they're basically an infinite energy button, but the point is that they come so late that you don't need it anyways.

I got them just after I got battleships and I have found them super useful for catching up on energy. 15 energy per square thanks to thriftiness, the empire wide energy boost building, happiness and being psionic? Yes please.

I can move my fleet and not immediately go bankrupt which is nice.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Nosfereefer posted:

So I've finished a Ring World Section. Which contained exotic pets. What.

That's where your empire's Collector lives!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Dongattack posted:

Man, habitats need to be unlocked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier. I control 70% of the galaxy now :negative:

Mods got ya covered

Voidborn easier to get, habitats cheaper/come earlier/larger

Just Voidborn being easier to get

Also Multi-stage habitats

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Was the multiplayer chat window designed by Chris Roberts?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Decrepus posted:

Was the multiplayer chat window designed by Chris Roberts?

Well, it exists, so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Is there any way to change the appearance of a specific species's robots through a mod or maybe editing a save file? These portraits are fantastic, but as far as I can tell I will still be stuck with the default robot portrait for any new ones I build.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 8, 2017

• Locked thread