Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMP
May 5, 2009

New Marvel Comic X-Men: Gold Contain subliminal messages about conservative Islamic political movement

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I noticed that sign and was wondering what it signified. I assumed it was a reference to Joe Quesada for some reason.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

:dogbutton:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

See? The Inhumans were right. :911:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Not cool

Seems like a good way to never find work at Marvel or Dc again

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lol people are going to defend this

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Which is crazy since it's Colossus and his best friend is Nightcrawler and his ex is Kitty. Also the comic is all about Kitty becoming the leader

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
You would think that X-Men are political enough with fighting prejudice, etc without putting stuff like that in.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

think we're getting a new artist for xmen gold out of this

because I wouldn't mind one even if the guy wasn't doing that

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
That's not even subliminal, though, that's just an obscure reference.

The subliminal reference was putting the 'Support our troops' sign over the mutant-hating crowd.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, that guy's done.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I can't even get a read on the situation here. Does the artist A: support the verse being referenced and oppose alliances between different religions, or B: dislike it, and cooked up this controversy to raise awareness about recent political ramifications?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I can't even get a read on the situation here. Does the artist A: support the verse being referenced and oppose alliances between different religions, or B: dislike it, and cooked up this controversy to raise awareness about recent political ramifications?
As I understand it, the specific case here is that Jakarta elected a Christian governor, who then brought up that quran verse as having been used by his opponents to claim Muslims are not allowed to vote for Christians.

This caused him to be accused of blasphemy, and massive protests in favour of having him jailed. There's a "212" in the issue in reference to those (December 2) protests. It's probably not something you'd do without supporting it.

Threep fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 8, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maxwell Adams posted:

They linked to his Facebook account and apparently he's in support of the verse.

X-Men Gold gonna get a new artist.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Well, one thing is for sure.

Original printings of X-Men Gold #1 just went up in value. Any reprint will definitely have that stuff scrubbed out.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
This comic will put my kids through college one day.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Apparently he also did this while working on Batgirl

Maxwell Adams posted:

Well, one thing is for sure.

Original printings of X-Men Gold #1 just went up in value. Any reprint will definitely have that stuff scrubbed out.

The Islamist Xmen Gold collector edition

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't even understand.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is not cool. Also a shame as I quite liked his art in the book. If he had just left it as an innocuous sign on a building I think he would have gotten away with it. But putting that on Peter's shirt was a pretty brazen act because someone was going to notice that eventually and figure out what it was. I do wonder how Marvel will handle it though. Hiding secret messages in comics is nothing new, and I don't see any way they could have known about this as I doubt most people have ever heard of it. On one hand yeah it's incredibly incendiary and I think he should be off the book, on another though it's his religious beliefs and while he absolutely shouldn't be putting it in the books like this I wonder if there will be any backlash for getting rid of a guy over his religious beliefs. I want to think this tips too far over into a political agenda to cancel that out but I admit I have very little knowledge about the intricacies of this particular situation. Sad thing is in the current climate I think Marvel will get blowback from people either way they handle it, which is unfortunate.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's pretty funny how comics Twitter went nuts about Spider-Woman's butt, but nobody of any note is saying anything one way or the other about literal open religious intolerance.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 8, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

fadam posted:

It's pretty funny how comics Twitter went nuts about Spider-Woman's butt, but nobody of any note is saying anything one way or the other about literal open religious intolerance.
Indonesia has the mutant power to be forgotten about by residents of Western nations, where I assume most comix fans are in residence

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Is this the same artist that did the infamous panel of Colossus eating the gently caress out of a sandwich in Ultimate X-Men?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

Is this the same artist that did the infamous panel of Colossus eating the gently caress out of a sandwich in Ultimate X-Men?

No, I believe this is Syaf's first regular work with Marvel. I remember seeing he did a one shot when I looked him up prior to reading to the book but I can't remember what it was.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Colossus's shirt sort of jumped out at me as a weird thing, but I chalked it up to Nerd Things I Know Nothing About (like when people make references to Game of Thrones or Dr. Who or Farscape or Mass Effect or Skyrim or etc.) not Sociopolitical Things I Know Nothing About.

If I were an editor I certainly would have googled it or asked Syaf what the shirt meant, because that was pretty front and center. "212" could mean about anything, and is one of the main area codes in Manhattan so that didn't really stick out at all.

All of this said, perhaps I am an ignorant blinkered American but yeah, the protests in Jakarta did not get much coverage over here. I was aware of the general tenor of the protest existing, but not any of the codephrases. I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat. On the other hand Manara doing a series of near-gynocological covers for Marvel heroines was somewhat easier to immediately notice.

It's kind of like saying "lol that you rube took forever to notice that the doctor prescribed you a medicine that can cause dangerous side effects for people prone to asthma, but you sure did whine a lot when they tried to cut off your hand for no clear reason!"

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 8, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Colossus's shirt sort of jumped out at me as a weird thing, but I chalked it up to Nerd Things I Know Nothing About (like when people make references to Game of Thrones or Dr. Who or Farscape or Mass Effect or Skyrim or etc.) not Sociopolitical Things I Know Nothing About.

If I were an editor I certainly would have googled it or asked Syaf what the shirt meant, because that was pretty front and center. "212" could mean about anything, and is one of the main area codes in Manhattan so that didn't really stick out at all.

All of this said, perhaps I am an ignorant blinkered American but yeah, the protests in Jakarta did not get much coverage over here. I was aware of the general tenor of the protest existing, but not any of the codephrases. I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat. On the other hand Manara doing a series of near-gynocological covers for Marvel heroines was somewhat easier to immediately notice.

It's kind of like saying "lol that you rube took forever to notice that the doctor prescribed you a medicine that can cause dangerous side effects for people prone to asthma, but you sure did whine a lot when they tried to cut off your hand for no clear reason!"

I'm not surprised that nobody immediately picked up on the logo and what it means, I'm surprised that now that the story is out there and being reported on more people aren't openly condemning this guy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

fadam posted:

I'm not surprised that nobody immediately picked up on the logo and what it means, I'm surprised that now that the story is out there and being reported on more people aren't openly condemning this guy.
I'm seeing a fair amount of people speaking out about it, but the whole thing only seems to have "broken" in the past 24 hours or so, and is not so immediately distasteful as that Spider-Woman cover. I don't think it's going away in the slightest.

There's also the difference between "artist sneaks something in without anyone noticing" and "Marvel commissions and approves a cover, uses the cover to promote a book", where the latter allows for the blame/outrage to be spread around to a whole bunch of people, not just the proverbial lone wolf.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

fadam posted:

I haven't really seen the story out there much besides a Reddit post linked here and a story on Bleeding Cool that's only been up for about three hours. Maybe give it some time to actually disseminate.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I hope Marvel has to put out an official press release saying "Marvel does not support these incendiary views. Now please buy Secret Empire, where the Nazis won WW2..."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well X-Men Gold #1 is sold out at Diamond all of a sudden.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Take that, DC!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Take that, DC!

I'm not kidding, it was in stock on Thursday when I was checking this week's sales for reorders. Now it's B/O, not stocked.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It really sucks that this had to happen at all, but sucks even more that it happened in a really good comic that was so well received.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is really surreal, I wonder if this really would make the 1st printing more valuable.

Also, I'm reading Groot during my breaks at work and this is a fantastic book. Loveness is definitely a writer I want to pay more attention to from now on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

This is really surreal, I wonder if this really would make the 1st printing more valuable.

Also, I'm reading Groot during my breaks at work and this is a fantastic book. Loveness is definitely a writer I want to pay more attention to from now on.

It's pretty clear that Marvel had Diamond pull them. I'd put money on an "extended print" being solicited shortly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
See, this is the kind of move you make once you're already established so that the publisher goes to bat for you no matter what

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh God* this is either the best or worst thing to happen to this book.

*no religious propaganda intended

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's just weird that someone with those views would want to draw X-Men at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

It's just weird that someone with those views would want to draw X-Men at all.

You would think it would be a perfect book to try and proselytize to the audience and get into their head, but these messages are so coded that really you'd have to already have knowledge of them to even know what they are. They're not like subliminal messages where you'll kind of get what's going on. Nobody but a specific audience was ever going to pick up on this. So it doesn't really make much sense at all unless it's done more so the artist can snicker at how he pulled one over on people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

You would think it would be a perfect book to try and proselytize to the audience and get into their head, but these messages are so coded that really you'd have to already have knowledge of them to even know what they are. They're not like subliminal messages where you'll kind of get what's going on. Nobody but a specific audience was ever going to pick up on this. So it doesn't really make much sense at all unless it's done more so the artist can snicker at how he pulled one over on people.

A lot of far-right people are very fond of coded messages that let people who agree with them know they're "on their side". It used to be pretty common with neo nazis, before it apparently became ok to just be one of those in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Rhyno posted:

Little Jimmy going to Harvard, gently caress yes.

e: More serious I'm surprised I didn't pick up on QS 5:51 as I took a good handful of theological classes in school. When I saw it I just thought it was a random made up thing referencing John 3:16 as they were playing baseball.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 8, 2017

• Locked thread