Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

A mystery box where you get a random selection of old nes/snes/sega cartridges might be cool

There was one service that did that, everyone's favorite tat-reviewer Ashens opened one quite some time ago. Unfortunately they cost too much to produce be workable at consumer prices. Speaking of, I am annoyed that his channel has now become basically "open blind boxes that suck" and "eat real old food and die and/or be surprised it's not bad" because I liked his videos a lot back in the earlier days of Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Help Im Alive posted:

A mystery box where you get a random selection of old nes/snes/sega cartridges might be cool

This month's box theme: ALIEN INVASION!
*contains Atari 2600 E.T. and NES Bart vs. the Space Mutants*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Did you finish it yet.

Yes, actually the first 90% of the game was well worth $10, the ending was worth negative $5.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Help Im Alive posted:

Oh cool sports games again

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

Yes, actually the first 90% of the game was well worth $10, the ending was worth negative $5.

That is the exact opposite of every other review I've seen.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I withdraw my idea I'm sorry everyone

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
LEGO blind boxes would own bones and I'm sorry they don't exist

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Video Games Monthly is the one:

But they do say this:

quote:

Can I select my gaming system?

Yes! When you sign up you will select the type of retro gaming system you use. We currently stock games for Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Gameboy Color Gameboy Advance, Sega Game Gear, PlayStation®, PlayStation® 2, GameCube, Dreamcast Xbox, Famicom, Super Famicom, Nintendo DS, PlayStation® Portable Sega Master System and Atari. Upon demand, we will be introducing boxes for more systems in the coming months as well. You can change your box type any time.

Our exclusive game tracker ensures you never receive a game you already own! Once you subscribe, you'll be able to select your game systems as well as all of the games in your library. After picking your games, its easy, just choose the game system and click the check box for each game you own. When you get additional games, you should always come back and update your library.

So can I sign up for SNES and say "I already have every shovelware piece of crap"?

e: That wouldn't work anyway, the lowest tier is $30 for three games per month, and very few SNES carts are worth more than $5 or $10, so you're better off just buying off eBay like a normal person

precision fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 8, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

I paid $10 for Inside and feel like I overpaid by 100%

It's cool until it turns to poo poo in the last ten minutes

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So maybe this was because I was kinda drunk last night, but is it just me or did the new Tomb Raider just sort of... end? Like, bad guy dead, thing broken, good guy dead, here's your credits?

It was pretty great up to that point but it's weird that they barely even tried to tie it all together.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This seems pretty cool until you realize he paid $50 for these:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I will admit that I was tempted to order Bitsbox for my kids since they're interested in learning programming and that 3D remake of Zelda 1 they put up online before Nintendo smacked it down was a hell of an advertisement. Not tempting enough to spend $20 a month on though.

Dr Cheeto posted:

As if Lego hadn't gotten in on that racket years ago, they sell blind bags containing a random minifigure from a set group at pretty much any store that sells lego stuff. They're like $5 a pop though. That's probably the best you could hope for from them.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 8, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

This seems pretty cool until you realize he paid $50 for these:

I thought Eye of the Beholder was super rare but I might be thinking of SNES Dungeon Master instead.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Decades of prohibition over; it's legal to play pinball in a Montreal bar again

Thanks to this guy's lobbying efforts

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Help Im Alive posted:

This month's theme: Madden

Next month's theme: Hockey

tap my mountain posted:

Oh cool sports games again

gently caress beaten.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Now THIS should be a thing.

You could even have two versions; one with and one without the instructions :evilbuddy:

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought Eye of the Beholder was super rare but I might be thinking of SNES Dungeon Master instead.

Nah Eye is a $5 game, carts are everywhere.

I do think there was some D&D game that was rare though... can't remember.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 8, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If you want a lego blind box, just go to a Goodwill or w/e and see if they have bags of legos. One of my friends growing up had like an FAO Schwarz amount of legos and they all came places like Goodwill and were cheap as hell and we'd sit around building things for hours.

Loot boxes aimed at non-geeks are indeed a thing. One that I went in on that I kinda liked was graze which sends you a mystery box of healthy snacks once a month but the problem is I'd eat all of it in 2-3 days and be like "well ok, who is this aimed at, people who eat one snack once a week?" My wife did a nursing lootbox thing and the first month was really neat and full of a dozen really cute or useful things for a new nurse but like most other loot box things, the next two months were extremely low-effort and she unsubscribed.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 8, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the various "healthy weird snack box" ones always sound great until I realize that my wife and I would indeed go through them in a week or less, it seems more practical to just go to artisinalsnacks.org (or whatever) and buy a bunch in bulk.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think the appeal of loot boxes like the snack and cosmetics ones isn't that you're getting an excellent deal, but that the randomized nature means you get to sample products it might not even occur to you to try, which you can then buy more of if you really like them

Not positive bc I've never subscribed to one, but that makes sense to me and seems to align with what friends have said

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
But yeah they make them for everyone and every type of product now, the closest I've ever come to investing in one is getting some Modcloth "stylish surprises" where you just pick a category like shoes, tops, or whatever for $10-20 and your size and they send you something of that type from their overstocks, sale stuff, etc

It's hit and miss but you can get deals on the order of 75-90% off and as with the snack box theory I posit above, part of the fun is scoring a new dress or w/e for $15 that you would never have picked out for its msrp of $75-150 but that encourages you to experiment with style or try a new look on the cheap

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLPXFXev4LU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

:lol:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
That was extremely graphic. Better flag that video.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4LOs8cQsk

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

there are many things about this that are sad, but the saddest thing is that it has less than 3k views

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only people I know who get anything close to loot boxes are some friends who get deliveries of different vegetables each week. It's like a cooking challenge, having to find ways to use all kinds of new veggies.

I don't think they post videos of themselves unboxing the vegetables but then again I've never asked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My ex-housemate used to do dumb generic nerd loot boxes and filled our house with (even more) crap. I still get them now he's moved aout because apparently he cancelled them but they still keep sending them here??? I just let them pile up in a corner until I've moaned at him enough that he comes and picks them up.

I used to do one for Japanese sweets which was pretty fun and I only very occasionally found something inedible. Stopped once the novelty wore off though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Loot boxes are really simple to understand imo. They're designed to make you feel like a kid, which is why more logical minded people see them for the racket that they kinda are.

If you want to buy yourself a treat, you spend your money on what you want. But if you want this vague feeling of excitement and happiness once a month, you spent 20 bucks or whatever on dumb clutter you don't need or things you would have bought individually for cheaper anyways.

It's dumb but very effective at tugging at strings, which is why everyone and their mother makes and sells their own take on it. You can target literally any demographic and probably do well.

Also anyone remember scholastic selling basically loot crates themed in poo poo like star wars, fantasy, sports, etc? Same concept, and that was two decades ago.

You'd get the first one for like 6 bucks or so and get subbed unless ur mom cancelled in time, otherwise it would go up to like 20 bucks per box.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 9, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Okay the cheapo Wonderboy game was v. cute.

Also buggy as hell in some spots but cute.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Pretty much the only "loot crate" poo poo I've ever seen that's been worth it is brewery monthly stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Loot crate chat: Humble monthly works incredibly for me as a way to buy a normally expensive game for 12$, plus a bunch of cool free stuff tacked on. I have a tight gaming budget so I'm very careful about pausing/canceling on month where it's got stuff I don't want!

But my dear friend, bless her: she recently upgraded from being a broke post-college student to having a steady income, so she subscribed to Humble for Stardew Valley and forgot about canceling it (because she can DO that and not worry about her finances! I'm jealous!) so she's got a bunch of weirdo games in her account now. At this point she's just keeping it because it's a fun, silly expense - and sometimes she even plays them. Helps that I can be all "hey hey. [x] is REALLY GOOD and up your alley, check it out!", too! :D

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Loot crate chat: Humble monthly works incredibly for me as a way to buy a normally expensive game for 12$, plus a bunch of cool free stuff tacked on. I have a tight gaming budget so I'm very careful about pausing/canceling on month where it's got stuff I don't want!

But my dear friend, bless her: she recently upgraded from being a broke post-college student to having a steady income, so she subscribed to Humble for Stardew Valley and forgot about canceling it (because she can DO that and not worry about her finances! I'm jealous!) so she's got a bunch of weirdo games in her account now. At this point she's just keeping it because it's a fun, silly expense - and sometimes she even plays them. Helps that I can be all "hey hey. [x] is REALLY GOOD and up your alley, check it out!", too! :D

Yeah I keep up the Humble Monthly because I have the money to do so, and because my gaming budget at this point has basically become - humble monthly + whatever interesting humble bundles catch my eye, plus maybe 50-60$ during the two steam sales. Time is the problem these days, not money.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

Pretty much the only "loot crate" poo poo I've ever seen that's been worth it is brewery monthly stuff.

I saw a scotch one that looked pretty good. For the variety and the little ones of stupid expensive whiskeys it seemed worth it as a one month purchase even though it was like 120 for the lowest tier. Reasonable? No. Worth it? Yes.

Re:lego
When i was a kid subscribed to lego magazine i subscribed to something called creators club or whatever. Every month was a new smallish set with one pre made direction but you could submit different ways to assemble the pieces online for points that you could redeem for more pieces in a weird software lego thing so you could design more stuff and then order a custom set for about the same price as a regular set to make it irl.
It was janky early 00s software and altogether kind of weird but kickin rad as a child.

Also iirc you could get like a bunch of free legos if they used your designs in an official lego set.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished the first dungeon in Persona 5 today. It's nice to be able to understand the storyline now since I couldn't in the Japanese version. This game is really good and some of its themes hit close to home.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm relatively certain there is, in fact, a retro blind subscription box thing where it includes a video game as well. It looked like a neat bundle. I like watching Ashens open them because he's not afraid to be like "wow this bundle is poo poo hahaha wow"

Here is a vid of him with one of those retro bundle things tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSeqt_n1hRk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I finished the first dungeon in Persona 5 today. It's nice to be able to understand the storyline now since I couldn't in the Japanese version. This game is really good and some of its themes hit close to home.

I don't understand why you'd even try to play the game without the story and dialogue, you're quite the mystery to me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I don't understand why you'd even try to play the game without the story and dialogue, you're quite the mystery to me

"I really love Persona, this is totally a good idea to buy the Japanese version the day it came out, what could possibly go wrong? I'll totally finish the Japanese version even I am that dedicated!" :///

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUWQFnC2zqU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I looked up some of the quest lines in Skyrim online, and holy poo poo this is a bullshit game. In order to finish the Theif guild quest line you have to do like twenty randomized stealing missions before you get the actual story progressing missions. This is loving busywork. Why does a game have busywork?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Seems like a way to miss out on all the things you'd come for in a Persona game. But I admire your gamer dedication.

Unless I'm mistaken and the Japanese version has English subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I looked up some of the quest lines in Skyrim online, and holy poo poo this is a bullshit game. In order to finish the Theif guild quest line you have to do like twenty randomized stealing missions before you get the actual story progressing missions. This is loving busywork. Why does a game have busywork?

let me tell you about mmorpgs...and jrpgs, and wrpgs, and any game with a crafting system, and

• Locked thread