Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pontypool is a great movie to go in blind on, some excellent performances.
Train
To
Buson!
Is like someone aptly said a movie that falls on the side of Romero v Snyder for Zombies are the smallest focus of a zombie movie. Its all about character.

Seventh Curse its a mindmelting garbage movie that has the most important qualities of a "bad movie" great pacing for the most part and constantly surprising in the effort and inventiveness its trys to do.

Man if a bad movie has poo poo pacing I dont care if its funny later. Later feels like 4 years from now!

PS MST3k SOON!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

drunken officeparty posted:

I got to the "live episode" of 30 rock. I don't even know what I just watched.

Wait until the second live episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-J-TyqAk4I

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is The Wraith as awesome as it sounds?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Train to Busan is way better than Pontypool

Seriously.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

It's better. Watch it now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

The Wraith is amazing. Peak Charlie Sheen, Sherilyn Fenn and Clint Howard's Hair.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have no hate for Train to Busan. It was allright. But what exactly are you guys liking about it so much? I'm just curious because I feel like I watched a different movie or something.

Also watched In the Eyes of My Mother and it was pretty good. Definetly worth a watch. It's weird to me that she had an American accent as a kid and grew up to have a thick Portuguese accent though. Seemed like kind of an oversight.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 8, 2017

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The old 80s cartoon of The Real Ghostbusters is up on Netflix. I loved in back in elementary school.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

The old 80s cartoon of The Real Ghostbusters is up on Netflix. I loved in back in elementary school.

Had to watch a few episodes this morning when I saw it on there. Was one of my faves as a kid, and seems like it's held up pretty well. The animation and voice acting is definitely better than most other shows of that era.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

veni veni veni posted:

I have no hate for Train to Busan. It was allright. But what exactly are you guys liking about it so much? I'm just curious because I feel like I watched a different movie or something.

Same. It wasn't bad but I'm not sure what people are latching on to that apparently elevates it so much. The only major difference between it and a lot of other zombie movies is that it takes place on a train. That's cool but, eh.

Fair enough on not being around when Pontypool was originally discussed though. I don't remember when I added it to my queue. Gonna assume that Wyrmwood's been discussed to death then? I loved that even though it has no ending. Zombeavers is also great even if it is a pretty paint-by-numbers plot.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 8, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Death Race 2050 owns, and is possibly the best Death Race film.

Truuuuuuth

The sentient car and Manu Bennett both owned

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I like Train to Busan because it's very well-shot and the use of the zombies is particularly effective. It's really interesting to see some folks write it off as 'a zombie movie on a train,' even though, like, that's obviously a really good premise that's also actually executed very well. They even managed to do the whole 'swarm of corpses' motif better than World War Z (which was the only exceptional thing about that mediocre movie). Even the zombie actors are above-average.

Most zombie fiction basically boils down to two reactionary scenarios:

1) "We need to hole-off somewhere against the zombies for as long as we can!"
2) "We need to just keep running from the zombies for as long as we can!"

Train to Busan combines both in a single setting, and collides it with the 'fast zombie' conceit of 28 Days Later... and Dawn of the Dead '04. The feeling of constantly escalating loss is juxtaposed with the characters literally hopping from place-to-place, prolonging the tension of discovering just how progressively hosed they are.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Truuuuuuth

Every single character was not only played well, but had a full articulated dramatic arc that never once felt gratuitous. It's one of those movies that shocks you with how good it is (especially with regard to the 'prestige' of the original, if you will), and then actually somehow keeps getting better the more you think about it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

World War Z has two other memorable moments: when the Israelis get killed because they let in Muslims and got too chummy with them, and the Pepsi machine.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Truuuuuuth

Gonna watch this just to see Crixus.:black101:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DeimosRising posted:

World War Z has two other memorable moments: when the Israelis get killed because they let in Muslims and got too chummy with them, and the Pepsi machine.

They just need to remake it into a tv series, with each chapter from the book working out to one episode. Dear god they hosed that movie up so much.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nihonniboku posted:

They just need to remake it into a tv series, with each chapter from the book working out to one episode. Dear god they hosed that movie up so much.

No. They do not need to do this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No. They do not need to do this.

I really think the fat otaku running into a blind swordsman in the woods and becoming a zombie-slaying samurai should be rendered in live action.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nihonniboku posted:

:barf:

I remain confused that the Pontypool people wasted money filming their radio play

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

a foolish pianist posted:

That one dude must have made a good living as as Bill Murray sound-alike in the 80s.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That one dude must have made a good living as as Bill Murray sound-alike in the 80s.

Lorenzo Music was pretty well off, yeah.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Lorenzo Music's voice was pure magic delivered by an angel. Also he was fired from the ghostbusters cartoon because Bill Murray wondered out loud to somebody at Columbia why all the other characters sounded like the actors but his character sounded like Garfield.

Also Ernie Hudson had to audition to do Winston's voice and they passed him over after the first round.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

Also he was fired from the ghostbusters cartoon because Bill Murray wondered out loud to somebody at Columbia why all the other characters sounded like the actors but his character sounded like Garfield.
I'm not sure if I were Lorenzo Music whether I'd feel vindicated or pissed after the movie came out.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Arsenio Hall voices Winston. Maybe Hudson just isn't a good voice actor?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The Real Ghostbusters had a lot of studio meddling, and it was particularly funny to see them completely unable to decide what to do with Janine.

One of the later seasons ended up having an entire episode about why she kept changing and no one noticed.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
#4 is the hottest.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Advance release for the MST3K revival is out for Kickstarter backers. The main release is the 14th. The new SoL looks too shiny and new and the new robot voices threw me for a little bit, but those are really all the problems I'm having with it. The movie is terrible; the riffs are funny.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Erebus posted:

The Real Ghostbusters had a lot of studio meddling, and it was particularly funny to see them completely unable to decide what to do with Janine.

One of the later seasons ended up having an entire episode about why she kept changing and no one noticed.

Here's an interview where JMS talks about that:

quote:

...the network got consultants involved who wanted to "help" the show, and their idea of helping, for instance, was that they said, "Well, Janine has these sharp glasses and kids are frightened by sharp objects, so we want to make them round." They said that Janine, who was the secretary--and you'll recall from the movie that Janine's character was feisty and her own person--needs to be the mother of the group, so make her more feminine and take away those aspects of her personality that make her not a mother. Give each of them identifiable roles, so that Peter is the con-man, Egon is the brains, Ray is the builder, and they said, "Make Winston the driver." Winston being the black guy.

JMS was story editor and wrote some of the most famous episodes, like the one where a man makes a deal with a demon to eliminate all the chickens in the world.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You should watch mst3k. Every country has a monster.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jesus, why'd you guys recommend The Wailing? It's a motherfucking slog. I'm an hour in, and I keep on finding reasons to not pay attention. It's slow, with characters doing their damnest to not proceed on the plot, no matter how illogical their characters become as a result. And there's almost two hours left! There's no sense of momentume or anything drawing you in other than a sense of the bizaare. Maybe its supposed to be purposeful, like its a dream, but I'm really not liking it so far.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Action Jacktion posted:

Here's an interview where JMS talks about that:

JMS was story editor and wrote some of the most famous episodes, like the one where a man makes a deal with a demon to eliminate all the chickens in the world.

Sorry for the silly comment, but for some reason I was never curious what the "J" stood for, and now I know.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with posters itt regarding One Punch Man. Even though it's supposed to be a parody of super hero genre, it doesn't really play like one. There is alot of nuance and I really liked that. I watched the whole thing on netflix in one sitting and I hardly ever watch anime.

Also, I really hate that netflix got rid of the ratings system. I really don't want to waste my time watching crap movies 1/3 of the way through before turning them off. They should link it to imdb or rotten tomatoes like cable TV does.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I don't think I have ever once talked to somebody who knew that the stars were what they though you were going to rate it, so it's probably for the best.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

I don't think I have ever once talked to somebody who knew that the stars were what they though you were going to rate it, so it's probably for the best.

Except Netflix, for as terrible as it is at recommending things to me, was very good at predicting how many stars I'd give something and this will flush that down the toilet. Such a binary choice will be poo poo at recommendations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Shageletic posted:

Jesus, why'd you guys recommend The Wailing? It's a motherfucking slog. I'm an hour in, and I keep on finding reasons to not pay attention. It's slow, with characters doing their damnest to not proceed on the plot, no matter how illogical their characters become as a result. And there's almost two hours left! There's no sense of momentume or anything drawing you in other than a sense of the bizaare. Maybe its supposed to be purposeful, like its a dream, but I'm really not liking it so far.

It's a slow movie for sure, can't really fault you for not liking it for that.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GonSmithe posted:

That's a very convoluted way of rating things especially if you never rate the stuff you watch. How would it even know what I would and wouldn't like?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I watched GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling in anticipation of the new scripted series coming up. It's really a good documentary about a forgotten bit of pop culture and wrestling history- the promotion was a huge success but folded abruptly when one of the investors pulled out (rumor has it due to his wife, Pia Zadora, suspecting him of fooling around with the wrestlers.) The ladies themselves had virtually no experience, and it was a weird broad comedy show that bypassed all the house show/PPV stuff in favor of direct sponsorships. Most of what they show is INCREDIBLY stupid even by wrestling standards, but some bits are actually funny, like "The Housewives" complaining about the ring ropes being too high and calling everyone else a hussy. Of course the most charming is Mountain Fiji and what's happened to her (near constant health issues because of her size) is really sad, as is just how abruptly all the women were cast adrift and separated when the promotion just up and ended with no forewarning. Fortunately it ends in a nice reunion and all the women seem like they got something out of the experience.

(Also, since Alison Brie is starring in the series, I couldn't help but notice the heavy resemblance one of the women has to her. I don't know how close they're gonna stick to history.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pycckuu posted:

That's a very convoluted way of rating things especially if you never rate the stuff you watch. How would it even know what I would and wouldn't like?

You rate things, it compares your ratings to other people's ratings and finds people who have similar taste to yours and uses their ratings to predict how you'd rate things you haven't yet watched. This is exactly how Amazon works for literally everything.

If you don't rate anything, you've screwed up.

Thumbs up/down is a useless metric, you need at least a three point scale, preferably five. Note that Siskel & Ebert had a four point scale ("way up", "up", "down", "way down"), and there were two of them rating the same movie.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
But if I start rating things, Hillary Clinton will have metrics on what I like and pander to me in her 2020 campaign. That's pretty dystopian, my man.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've never rated a thing in my life because netflix will just shove the same 6 things in my face no matter what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

You rate things, it compares your ratings to other people's ratings and finds people who have similar taste to yours and uses their ratings to predict how you'd rate things you haven't yet watched. This is exactly how Amazon works for literally everything.

If you don't rate anything, you've screwed up.

Thumbs up/down is a useless metric, you need at least a three point scale, preferably five. Note that Siskel & Ebert had a four point scale ("way up", "up", "down", "way down"), and there were two of them rating the same movie.

Exactly. I rated everything and I'd say about 90% of the time Netflix' predictions on ratings were spot on. I rated a bunch of mediocre stuff 3 stars because it was worth a watch, but I would rather watch 5 star stuff and Netflix actually did a good job of showing me what to watch in that regard. Now that it's binary something barely worth watching and something I'd really love are in the same category.

They should have made what the stars represented more well known, but this is a pretty terrible step back that is going to cause a lot more trial and error while trying to find something good to watch.