Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
That's close to the end but you've got some tough forced fights ahead of you. Sorry, friend. I'd call it a day there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ho boy. Doing the third dungeon in one day is a real slog. It's a bit easier than the first dungeon mostly because you have better Personas and should have some SP boosting items stocked up by then, but to do it I had to use pretty much my entire stash. When they started throwing a ton of enemies at me that were resistant to physical late in the dungeon when I was low on SP, it started to get super dicey.

I barely managed it though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

slev posted:

Knowledge feels like it takes forever to raise compared to everything else.

Nothing new there, unfortunately. I don't even get it at this point; I don't think there's anything important or super-useful gated behind the exams this time around?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally did the Memento in earnest and holy balls, this is the best thing they've added. Respawning enemies and treasure chests? Yes please. Beats running up and down floors from Persona 4, that's for sure. Coupled with (Social Link reward spoilers) Sun's extra money and item demands, you can really get some good stuff from the place.

Is it ever worth it to wash the dirty equipment things you find from treasure chests?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh my god the music in the third palace is just the best.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Is it ever worth it to wash the dirty equipment things you find from treasure chests?

Yes, but hold off on doing it. A Confidant reward makes it take no time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Terper posted:

Yes, but hold off on doing it. A Confidant reward makes it take no time.

These kind of comments are what make normal people dread playing Persona games, you know. It kills my interest in the game to think that I "should be" min-maxing to the point that, no, I can't spare one afternoon's game time to possibly get a really good armor, I really should ignore that feature of the game completely until I can cheese it.

:negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just play the video game my dude, its not like these games are hard

or rather, any difficulty comes from things that minmaxing wouldn't have helped with, like random insta-death on the protag

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing you should be worried about is feeding your plant because what kind of monster would let an innocent plant die?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endorph posted:

just play the video game my dude, its not like these games are hard

or rather, any difficulty comes from things that minmaxing wouldn't have helped with, like random insta-death on the protag

That is mistaking the game's real goal as beating the dungeons as opposed to the real one, making everyone your BFF

Edit: Hmm, these Warden S-Link challenges are pretty arcane to me. I lucked out with having the first on hand already but these new ones, I have no idea what to do. Maybe I should just look at a guide

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

precision posted:

These kind of comments are what make normal people dread playing Persona games, you know. It kills my interest in the game to think that I "should be" min-maxing to the point that, no, I can't spare one afternoon's game time to possibly get a really good armor, I really should ignore that feature of the game completely until I can cheese it.

:negative:

Just play it normally the first time through. What no one tells you is that Persona is the best kind of NG+ game because you get your deathgod Personas and your stats to carry over. So you can focus on hanging with your pals while cruising through the dungeons and not worrying about raising your stats. And the stuff you missed on your first game is right there to be discovered so it feels like a completely different game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of which, I am fairly certain I have hit the cutoff date for raising ranks.

Maxed everyone but Tower which I got to 6. Pretty good I'd say.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You're not supposed to 100% Persona games on a first run because maxing your stats out takes such a huge chunk of your schedule that it's generally not realistic, where as on new game plus, you can start with all that poo poo maxed out so anything that a guide says you are doing purely for the stat points, like going to the diner, can be used to bring S.Link progress forward, unless it's time gated.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

The only thing you should be worried about is feeding your plant because what kind of monster would let an innocent plant die?

*raises paw* I forgot

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Deltasquid posted:

That's close to the end but you've got some tough forced fights ahead of you. Sorry, friend. I'd call it a day there.

I got up to the Throne Room safe room, so I'm just gonna try to finish it off!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

wizard on a water slide posted:

*raises paw* I forgot
I'm going into your Palace to make you repent for this sin.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Watched that Moe video again and I just noticed that his ammo drops to -1 :lol:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, the one thing I think the S Link system could do without is the increased gains for bringing a same-arcana persona, and just roll that bonus into the normal gains.

The expense to summon a Pixie or w/e from the compendium to hit those requirements is marginal for the second half of the games, but having to juggle your free space and go back to the Velvet Room if you forget one for the current month or need to swap one out is loving annoying. It adds nothing to the game but additional tedium.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Being a dick to the rear end in a top hat dude in Leblanc on Sundays is the best part of this game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

this is a proclick

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Is Sojiro's S.Link just incredibly time consuming, in comparison to the other confidants, to raise or am I missing something? Hanging out with a Hierophant Persona only gives 2 points, he doesn't want any gifts, and he never appears in other events. C'mon old man :argh:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Is Sojiro's S.Link just incredibly time consuming, in comparison to the other confidants, to raise or am I missing something? Hanging out with a Hierophant Persona only gives 2 points, he doesn't want any gifts, and he never appears in other events. C'mon old man :argh:

Just to make it even better, he's got like 3 gates, one of which is plot. Most other characters only have the level 8/9 Confidant mission gates, but this poo poo gates at 5 for plot, Max Kindness at 7, and then his confidant mission.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 8, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's not quite as fitting as Catherine, but I'd like to make a Persona 5-inspired mixed drink. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking something with brandy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Happy Blue Cow posted:

It takes forever and gets plot-gated for a bit after rank 4.

It's worth it for coffee and curry facts though. Also because he's very cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jimbot posted:

Just play it normally the first time through. What no one tells you is that Persona is the best kind of NG+ game because you get your deathgod Personas and your stats to carry over. So you can focus on hanging with your pals while cruising through the dungeons and not worrying about raising your stats. And the stuff you missed on your first game is right there to be discovered so it feels like a completely different game.

No I know that, the issue is that not everyone is prepared to play a 100 hour JRPG twice :) I've got a backlog here!

I just finished the first palace and didn't know I could even buy plant food, is my plant already doomed?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Blue Cow posted:

One thing at least: AFAIK you seem to get the same amount of affection with him from making coffee that you do from hanging out, so you can at least get something from hanging out.

I'm afraid he's going to end up unfinished on my file, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wizard on a water slide posted:

Oh, the one thing I think the S Link system could do without is the increased gains for bringing a same-arcana persona, and just roll that bonus into the normal gains.

The expense to summon a Pixie or w/e from the compendium to hit those requirements is marginal for the second half of the games, but having to juggle your free space and go back to the Velvet Room if you forget one for the current month or need to swap one out is loving annoying. It adds nothing to the game but additional tedium.

loving :agree:

What it should do is just give you the bonus if you've Registered a Persona of the appropriate arcana.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's not quite as fitting as Catherine, but I'd like to make a Persona 5-inspired mixed drink. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking something with brandy.

"4 oz hot coffee
1 tsp granulated sugar
2 oz brandy
2 oz heavy cream

Pour the coffee into an Irish coffee cup or glass. Add the sugar, and stir to dissolve. Add the brandy, stir again. Pour the cream over the back of a teaspoon over the top of the drink so that it floats, and serve."

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"4 oz hot coffee
1 tsp granulated sugar
2 oz brandy
2 oz heavy cream

Pour the coffee into an Irish coffee cup or glass. Add the sugar, and stir to dissolve. Add the brandy, stir again. Pour the cream over the back of a teaspoon over the top of the drink so that it floats, and serve."

I was gonna say it's pretty much mandatory that it include coffee. Excellent.

It would be cool to see mixed drinks for all Phantom Thieves actually. I mean sure they're underaged but every Phantom Thief needs a classy cocktail.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well poo poo I've never wished I could read Japanese more than now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
goro gets left out again i swear to god

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well poo poo I've never wished I could read Japanese more than now.

i'd tl it but the image is pretty tiny and also i don't have the first idea about mixed drinks so there'd be a lot of looking stuff up.

futaba's looks pretty good tho

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I'm assuming "soft drink" still means non-alcoholic. Boring!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Oh boy the cover mechanic is going to take some time to get used to. I keep instinctually moving the stick, and it screws everything up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I really hate how restricted camera control is in cover.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
my favorite part so far is that level 1 charm is "existent". like, you're note even rude or obnoxious, you're just there and that's it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
MC named Akira Kurusu, thieves named Day Breakers, so my playthrough is obviously more canon than anyone else's :colbert:

so obviously makoto is the canon waifu

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Really digging this game so far.

Took longer that I'd have liked with the first palace - bumbled for a day or two working on lockpicks to unlock chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, Makoto. :stare:

Sure let's having a nice bit of pure seething rage hidden there.