Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

NancyPants posted:

I keep buying $8 jars of nail polish even though I already have a box full. Can we pleeeeease get back to bwm?
I have a friend whose fridge is half full of wine and milk, and half full of nail polishes. I guess partially GWM because she says they last longer that way??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had some custom shelving installed in the closet in my office, and then once it was up I realized that the dimensions I gave for the verticals and placement were wrong. Whole thing had to be redone or the space was basically useless to me (wouldn't be able to put my filing cabinets underneath, or usefully access the outer thirds of the space). My contractor cheerfully redid it, but drat did nearly doubling the cost sting.

Turned out great in the end though.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

moana posted:

I have a friend whose fridge is half full of wine and milk, and half full of nail polishes. I guess partially GWM because she says they last longer that way??

Most brands are supposed to be stored at room temp. An airtight seal on the bottle prolongs shelf life more than anything.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Electrical Fire posted:

Yes, the doctor keeps the tip.

A++ would giggle at again.

Subjunctive posted:

I had some custom shelving installed in the closet in my office, and then once it was up I realized that the dimensions I gave for the verticals and placement were wrong. Whole thing had to be redone or the space was basically useless to me (wouldn't be able to put my filing cabinets underneath, or usefully access the outer thirds of the space). My contractor cheerfully redid it, but drat did nearly doubling the cost sting.

Turned out great in the end though.

Got a new gun safe. Had a new outlet run. Decided to get slightly bigger. Blocked the outlet. Had new outlet run.

Felt like a drat idiot since it was like 2 mondays in a row where electrician does exact same thing.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Car chat bad with money edition. Got a little speeding ticketaroony this morning. Nasty little unplanned expense. Could be a lot worse.

Hire a ticket lawyer, it's the best $100 you will ever spend if it prevents insurance points from going on your record

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Hire a ticket lawyer, it's the best $100 you will ever spend if it prevents insurance points from going on your record

My state doesn't have a "points" system for simple speeding but the tickets do produce insurance premium increases, so I'll look into what I can do about it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My state doesn't have a "points" system for simple speeding but the tickets do produce insurance premium increases, so I'll look into what I can do about it.

Here in the glorious workers paradise of California we get one mulligan per couple years with online traffic school. It's supposed to be 8 hours but :ssh: most sites can be scammed into taking around an hour.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It's like 300 and up here to have a lawyer fight your speeding tickets. Luckily I finally got the message and don't speed as much as I did in my 20s.

Waze is a good way to help make sure you don't get warned when they are out running speed traps.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Here in the glorious workers paradise of California we get one mulligan per couple years with online traffic school. It's supposed to be 8 hours but :ssh: most sites can be scammed into taking around an hour.

I haven't driven in several years, but in Illinois back in the 90's you could pay to take the "defensive driving" course to have the ticket not count on your record every six months. I being a stupid teenager was in that class like clockwork every six months. Think they changed it to once a year now.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
In Washington state you can just apologize profusely once every 7 years and it stays off your record so long as you behave yourself for the next year.

(Looking for information online about this process shows just how BWM owning a motorcycle can be. Lots of stories of bikers trying to get out of paying $400 for a reckless driving ticket.)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Waited too long to buy airfare for an out of state wedding. I'd been watching the price swing wildly for 3 months and didn't bite the bullet. Then with less than 17 days before the scheduled departure, it swing up $190 and I was stuck buying at that highest price I'd seen yet, lest it rise seven higher. Still kicking myself for not committing to a much better rate earlier, even if the flight times weren't as good.

And, I'm still having Google Flights track the price so that if it drops at all between now and then, I can be sure to pack my most uncomfortable hairshirt into my suitcase.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 9, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

Waited too long to buy airfare for an it is state wedding. I'd been watching the price swing wildly for 3 months and didn't bite the bullet. Then with less than 17 days before the scheduled departure, it swing up $190 and I was stuck buying at that highest price I'd seen yet, lest it rise seven higher. Still kicking myself for not committing to a much better rate earlier, even if the flight times weren't as good.

And, I'm still having Google Flights track the price so that if it drops at all between now and then, I can be sure to pack my most uncomfortable hairshirt into my suitcase.

Pro-tip Kayak has a price predictor you can use in the future. That massive upswing means that for whatever awful fare class you bought the airline thinks that right now is prime buying time. Earlier is to get the plane off the ground with enough warm bodies, now they make a profit, and then if there are seats (or oversell) left it will plummet in a week but you're playing with fire on actually getting a seat on the plane unless you have status to bump out the other last minute X/Y-class buyers.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

H110Hawk posted:

and then if there are seats (or oversell) left it will plummet in a week

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but I've actually never seen this happen with his flight date so close to purchase date. I've always seen the opposite-- carriers keep the prices high because gently caress you, we're going to condition you to buy your tickets earlier. I can't imagine the chaos people would introduce into their lives if ticket prices did plummet a week before takeoff in order to maximize revenue from available inventory. Is what I've always seen not the norm, then?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I always assumed that was what standby was. People who gambled waiting for prices to drop and lost.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

H110Hawk posted:

Pro-tip Kayak has a price predictor you can use in the future. That massive upswing means that for whatever awful fare class you bought the airline thinks that right now is prime buying time. Earlier is to get the plane off the ground with enough warm bodies, now they make a profit, and then if there are seats (or oversell) left it will plummet in a week but you're playing with fire on actually getting a seat on the plane unless you have status to bump out the other last minute X/Y-class buyers.

I did see Kayak or Orbitz saying to wait a week, but at that point I was way too worried about the risk of sellout or worse hikes that I just took the expensive lesson instead. Hell, earlier in the day I'd seen the low price before the giant swing, but I got interrupted at my desk before I could finish booking it. :argh:

The only plus is that I'll get to participate in all the Friday evening activities too.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

ranbo das posted:

I always assumed that was what standby was. People who gambled waiting for prices to drop and lost.

I'm not a travel agent, but I don't think standby tickets really exist that way anymore. At least not in the US. Standby, in my experience, is pretty much people trying to make same-day changes to get on an earlier or later flight to the same destination as on the original ticket.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
Planet Money created a bot (@BOTUS) that is going to buy and sell stocks based on Donald Trump tweets. Good or bad with money?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

drive me nuts to school posted:

Planet Money created a bot (@BOTUS) that is going to buy and sell stocks based on Donald Trump tweets. Good or bad with money?

At first I was going to say: "seems like it'd be difficult to program a bot to understand the general tenor of a tweet and know which direction to bet," but he always finishes his tweets with a one-word sum-up like "SAD" so actually I'm changing my vote to GWM.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Car chat bad with money edition. Got a little speeding ticketaroony this morning. Nasty little unplanned expense. Could be a lot worse.

I just paid $75 for a parking ticket because I was 20 minutes late to move my car on street sweeping day.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BWM: not thinking to register @BOTUS on twitter.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Bunch of fast food employees itt upset that other people get vacation.

My sabbatical is coming up this year woop woop.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Bunch of fast food employees itt upset that other people get vacation.

My sabbatical is coming up this year woop woop.

oh my god no one cares

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Bunch of fast food employees itt upset that other people get vacation

jesu christo shut up

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I assume this guy just got scammed and doesn't know it yet, lol

$70,000 of taxable business income received and business partner nowhere to be heard from to receive proof for deductions. Options?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/64ftew/70000_of_taxable_business_income_received_and/

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Today I learned that one of my coworkers has paid for a horse chiropractor. I'm appalled that the BWM is leaking out of this thread into my real life.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Ask the same coworker if they also paid for a horse psychic/medium.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Went for my first cruise trip, found out you can fill a ship full of 2500 old people as long as you offer large gambling payouts regardless of how obviously terrible the odds of getting one are.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
24 days of vacation a year and mortgage is long gone. Rental income is 3x our debt obligations (mortgage for a 2nd apartment we are paying down)

I know the humble brag section is over and this gives me a front of the line spot for the guillotine so here is a BWM story.

A sibling asked for a loan 2 weeks before Christmas. "car emergency" of some sort. I was *this* close to lending, but we didn't have much liquid cash at the time and had to say no. 2 weeks later Christmas rolls around and siblings's kid gets a brand new iphone worth p much the same amount as the loan request. Fast forward to one Christmas later, and almost the exact same repeat, "can I borrow money for a car problem" (car problems have been confirmed legit), ended up saying no, and upon visiting we are shown their brand new Nikon DSLR and are told stories of their horses they own.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
currently been using occasional work from home fridays in lieu of 2 week PTO days

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Why even have a horse if you can't ride it to work when your car breaks down :colbert:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wells Fargo 's self investigation is out today: [url]https://www08.wellsfargomedia.com/assets/pdf/about/investor-relations/presentations/2017/board-report.pdf?https://www.wellsfargo.com/assets/pdf/about/investor-relations/presentations/2017/board-report.pdf[/url]

I haven't read the whole thing but the summary is that leadership pressured for impossible sales goals.

Edit: Somehow the board of directors only learned about the number of fired employees AFTER the big settlement was announced last fall.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 10, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's really just corporate mindset taken to its logical conclusion, ignore all longterm consequences in the name of the quarterly figures and annual bonus, whatever the cost. Literally.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Wells Fargo 's self investigation is out today: [url]https://www08.wellsfargomedia.com/assets/pdf/about/investor-relations/presentations/2017/board-report.pdf?https://www.wellsfargo.com/assets/pdf/about/investor-relations/presentations/2017/board-report.pdf[/url]

I haven't read the whole thing but the summary is that leadership pressured for impossible sales goals.

Edit: Somehow the board of directors only learned about the number of fired employees AFTER the big settlement was announced last fall.

Just how impossible those sales goals were is the tricky part. You can claim 'oh we had no idea', but if your goals are only possible by breaking the law you can still be held accountable.

Not Wells Fargo though. Because they paid a fine thanks Obama. Individual state's could prosecute, but otherwise it's just civil cases. Of which they've already lost one 5 million dollar OSHA judgement for firing a whistle blower.

If the 5k employees fired were smart they'd do a class action since there's plenty of evidence now that you'd get canned for speaking out or not making impossible quotas.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

It's really just corporate mindset taken to its logical conclusion, ignore all longterm consequences in the name of the quarterly figures and annual bonus, whatever the cost. Literally.

I mean I'm pretty sure if they hadn't gotten caught and they just had a record quarter or something the board would be all for this ~high-energy sales environment~

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My uncle and aunt are involved in all sorts of terrible with money conspiracy theory/"natural" medicine schemes. He recently had some kind of air purifier system installed in his house to filter out toxins and chemtrails from the air because they live a mile away from an airport.

Now they are shilling some program on Facebook that is like Blue Apron for crazy people. They mail you seeds and freeze-dried meals that have never been exposed to soil/air with "contaminants" in it.

It's about $80 a week per person for freeze-dried cans of beef. They order enough for two people. That's a little over $650 a month in freeze-dried beef cans.

The website they are linking to on Facebook is... something else.

https://freezedryguy.com/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My uncle and aunt are involved in all sorts of terrible with money conspiracy theory/"natural" medicine schemes. He recently had some kind of air purifier system installed in his house to filter out toxins and chemtrails from the air because they live a mile away from an airport.

Now they are shilling some program on Facebook that is like Blue Apron for crazy people. They mail you seeds and freeze-dried meals that have never been exposed to soil/air with "contaminants" in it.

It's about $80 a week per person for freeze-dried cans of beef. They order enough for two people. That's a little over $650 a month in freeze-dried beef cans.

The website they are linking to on Facebook is... something else.

https://freezedryguy.com/

Click the link, am immediately assaulted by a giant low res ad for ammo and a nuclear bomb blast. This site's a definite winner.

e: Ask them if they've bought any of Jim Bakker's Buckets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyxTG1mucfs

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nail Rat posted:

Worked for Enron up to the point when the executives forgot to flee the USA by cover of night.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Krispy Kareem posted:

If the 5k employees fired were smart they'd do a class action since there's plenty of evidence now that you'd get canned for speaking out or not making impossible quotas.

Betting their employment contracts had mandatory binding arbitration clauses in them to prevent employees trying for a class action.

(gently caress mandatory binding arbitration.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Betting their employment contracts had mandatory binding arbitration clauses in them to prevent employees trying for a class action.

(gently caress mandatory binding arbitration.)

Probably. But it sure would be swell if Wells Fargo had to pay out or even rehire the people it tried to blame the whole mess on. It's not like those employees were innocent or should be rewarded, but if you didn't play the game you got fired and that was a tough pill to swallow during the recession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/26/investing/wells-fargo-fake-accounts-worker-lawsuit/

Last year says hello

• Locked thread