Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Ah, Elks. They jump!

When falling, 2B spreads her limbs as far as she can. I think it also contains her skirt wildly flaring around for quite short view, but don't remember exactly. There's exactly one place where you can do that for any kind of long...

Also, Pods won't pet themselves. But you would get an opportunity to do so soon, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Currency is nuts and bolts, you have a pod buddy with a hover function: are we sure this isn't actually a Ratchet and Clank sequel?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
In any other game, I'd think it's lazy design that the ruins are actually in remarkably good shape for being thousands of years old; that looks more like 20ish years of neglect, with occasional landscaping.

This being a Yoko Taro joint, I am instead suspicious of the ruins' condition.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The city ruins were overall pretty boring because, like TDI said, you basically already explored it in The Last of Us. I was hoping for a more inspired backdrop for a game that takes place in like 12000 AD

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The ruins aren't so great, but their music is nice. I wouldn't say the ruins are bad either, they give you a nice play area for your navigation abilities, but yeah, pretty run of the mill overall.

Moose are probably one of the few enemies in the game that are straight up dangerous even on Normal. You don't gently caress with them on Hard mode.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 8, 2017

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The ruins aren't so great, but their music is nice. I wouldn't say the ruins are bad either, they give you a nice play area for your navigation abilities, but yeah, pretty run of the mill overall.

Moose are probably one of the few enemies in the game that are straight up dangerous even on Normal. You don't gently caress with them on Hard mode.

You could take like 1 rear hoof to the face, but the charge 1 shots you when you first meet them. Not fun times.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Tendales posted:

In any other game, I'd think it's lazy design that the ruins are actually in remarkably good shape for being thousands of years old; that looks more like 20ish years of neglect, with occasional landscaping.

Clearly the machine lifeforms did it while hopping about.

Or... something worse like a massive white giant thing's dust works as fertilizer and general cleaning agent.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What makes the animals really dangerous is that their eyes don't flash before they attack like machines' do, so you get an antler to the face with no warning.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
How and why are moose so dangerous? Why is a charge from a moose more dangerous than a giant buzz saw thing? Do androids have some secret vulnerability to organic life forms or what?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

go fight a moose irl and see how it goes

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
After the original cataclysm that faced humanity boars did become the strongest, dominant species on Earth and moose are their cohorts.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hypothesis: "The slow antler penetrates the--" *gets gored by a moose*

(Moose are p. big, man.)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I hear Moose is pretty good eatin. Too bad 2B would be gored to death by one.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
A moose once bit my sister.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Justin McElroy of the McElroy brothers did that lovely review of Nier? What a small world

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Stephen9001 posted:

How and why are moose so dangerous? Why is a charge from a moose more dangerous than a giant buzz saw thing? Do androids have some secret vulnerability to organic life forms or what?

To give you a non-sarcastic game mechanic answer, the moose has a very, very painful charging headbutt that has a ridiculously huge hurtbox and pretty much no telegraphing animation, so if you are right on top of it hitting it with your melee weapon you are probably going to get hit for over half your life total with no warning.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Justin McElroy of the McElroy brothers did that lovely review of Nier? What a small world

Explain it for those of us who don't know what that means.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Tendales posted:

I'm only a bit further in the game than TDI is, and I'm super suspicious about these city ruins. I'm also not so sure how old they're supposed to be. They look more "normal" than the ruins from Nier, even though they're supposed to be older than any human ruin still standing today? Or, were they build later, in the 1500 years between Nier's near-apocolypse and the Alien Invasion. Or, was there a period during the 14 machine wars where human built these structures. Have the machine's been building and repairing structures? It's not impossible.

I have no idea if the game answers these things or not.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I miss Weiss :(

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Alavaria posted:

Or... something worse like a massive white giant thing's dust works as fertilizer and general cleaning agent.

Watchers' brand White Powder is an all-purpose powder which can be used to remove all sentient life from planets, give magic powers, immortality, and more!

Watchers' brand White Powder has been known to cause: impalement, white chlorination syndrome, red eyes, end of civilization, drunk androids, soul/body dissociation, wolf attacks, life in the sands, endless daylight, unfortunate misunderstandings, stopping, shithogs, being retroactively erased from existence, and death. Do not use Watchers' brand White Powder if pregnant or under 14 years old.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
The Moose
WHAT A MAJESTIC BEAST

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

HR12345 posted:

Explain it for those of us who don't know what that means.

He got stuck on the fishing tutorial and wrote a statement that he won't review the game because he can't finish it way back.

The McElroy brothers are popular or something these days

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Okay yes, I accept that moose are huge and dangerous in real life I'm just wondering, why are they more dangerous than a giant oil rig robot? Did Taro Yoko just think it would be funny, did he want to punish people for attacking wildlife or what?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Stephen9001 posted:

Okay yes, I accept that moose are huge and dangerous in real life I'm just wondering, why are they more dangerous than a giant oil rig robot? Did Taro Yoko just think it would be funny, did he want to punish people for attacking wildlife or what?

Because they're moose.

Moose are loving terrifying, guy.

Chicks dig giant robots, but they're terrified of Moose.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The moose in N:A are the descendants of moose that have survived for thousands of years in a world with giant oil rig robots running around. The moose that CAN'T fight a sentient excavator to a standstill all died out, only the hardest remain.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I wish Pod called you an idiot more often. It's not the same without the snark

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Tendales posted:

The moose in N:A are the descendants of moose that have survived for thousands of years in a world with giant oil rig robots running around. The moose that CAN'T fight a sentient excavator to a standstill all died out, only the hardest remain.

This seems about as reasonable an answer I'll get, so I'll take it!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I assumed the androids just built a city during one of the lulls, and it got razed when the war started up again. Remember, this war's gone on longer than recorded human history and both sides have tech that can probably speed up construction an awful lot.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hey I'm not saying it's inconsistent or a plot hole. I just don't think the ruined city looks all that interesting

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Can't really argue with that. I've got a weakness for exploring ruined cityscapes in games, but this isn't one of the more expansive or detailed ones.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
IMO the design of the environments in this game are deliberately downplayed to give room for the music to take the foreground, and I think it works for me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rangpur posted:

Can't really argue with that. I've got a weakness for exploring ruined cityscapes in games, but this isn't one of the more expansive or detailed ones.

I came to this game after Breath of the Wild and was constantly infuriated by the number of "giant gaping hole in this building that you could easily walk through but it's an invisible wall so lol nope" situations

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
When I saw this thread was up, I did the only sensible thing; immediately bought the game and marathoned the goddamn thing because I knew that eventually I was gonna start having to deal with this thread.

I mean I was gonna buy it sometime anyway, I just moved up my plan, is all.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Fedule posted:

When I saw this thread was up, I did the only sensible thing; immediately bought the game and marathoned the goddamn thing because I knew that eventually I was gonna start having to deal with this thread.

Luck you got the money/time to do that. I'm SOL on both regards.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Fedule posted:

Thank you for your service. Glory to goonkind.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I haven't been overexposed on ruined cityscapes yet, but I am a little disappointed that their architecture is basically the same as present day stuff, even though an entirely different culture built them. If you didn't have the time cards telling you and lacked knowledge of the games you probably wouldn't really guess this wasn't like a century or few after the intro of the first Nier game.

The Dark Id posted:

2B will automatically mantle any platforms she edges near while jumping around

That’s not to say they’re remain non-combative

There’s no somewhat alarming use coloring book or old toy

Pretty sure mantle isn't the right word, maybe "mount" or "vault"?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Moose are dangerous as hell if provoked for a few reasons:
  • They do NOT have a tell for any of their attacks. They don't do any eye flashes before clobbering 2B. They're moose. That'd be weird.
  • They have a charge attack that comes out instantly, hits like a truck, and has a hitbox extending about 3 feet in front of and five feet on either side of their antlers. This charge can juggle 2B into the shadow realm.
  • They do not respect the camera position based de-aggro other enemies do. You bop a machine lifeform and run away, you're in the clear. They'll quickly give up. You bop a moose and stay on ground level? It will run down and murder your rear end.
  • Outside of a few sidequests (which still have static levels) all enemies in the game have levels based on story progression that are reasonably within parameters of where the player should be. Moose do not. Moose don't give a gently caress. Their levels scale with 2B regardless of what point in the game it is. They will always be a threat. There are four enemies in the game that can potentially be Level 99. Two are optional super bosses. One is a moose.
  • Do not pursue Lu Bu moose.
  • All of this also applies to boars.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 9, 2017

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

Pretty sure mantle isn't the right word, maybe "mount" or "vault"?

No, mantling, or to mantel is a climbing (and videogame) term for 'get up on top of a thing', a thing being like a shelf, a shelf in a vertical climb being like a fireplace mantel. I've seen it spelled both mantel and mantle.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Moose are dangerous as hell if provoked for a few reasons:
  • Outside of a few sidequests (which still have static levels) all enemies in the game have levels based on story progression that are reasonably within parameters of where the player should be. Moose do not. Moose don't give a gently caress. Their levels scale with 2B regardless of what point in the game it is. They will always be a threat. There are four enemies in the game that can potentially be Level 99. Two are optional super bosses. One is a moose.

Do enemies have friendly fire enabled? Can you aggro a moose and chase it through a robot mob with hilarious results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Do enemies have friendly fire enabled? Can you aggro a moose and chase it through a robot mob with hilarious results?

I'm fairly sure I've seen moose attack machines. I don't think enemies have friendly fire, I think animals are just a different faction.

• Locked thread