Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What a wide man he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That really does look like those parodies of 90s superheroes that showed up in Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. All he's missing is a glowing eye and a Gambit headsock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, this is what Mr. Huge did before Buttlord GT

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Class 25 if he could move. So class 0 then?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

These Handbook entries are good for their attributes and stuff but they lack a small "What's their deal?" section. What's the Power Broker's deal? What does he get up to? When I saw his name I remembered that character from the BBC show The Misfits who was literally a broker of superpowers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's hard to tell from the bio if this is the same guy, but there was a Power Broker who was involved with the underground super-wrestling league, and he would give his wrestlers, and later random crooks, super-powers, usually generic super strength and toughness. He's the guy who gave D-Man his powers, and a couple of nobody villains owe their origin to him. The bio certainly does seem to imply it's the same guy, and I guess he used the D-man treatment on himself to the nth degree to turn into that slab of meat.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The Power Broker was a dude who gave people super-strength in exchange for money. D-Man, USAgent, Battlestar, Ms. Marvel II, a whole bunch of random D-list bad guys, they all got their powers from the Power Broker. Usually he also then blackmailed them and/or hooked them on drugs while he was at it, just in case he wasn't being a big enough dick.

Then his operation got attacked by Scourge and he tried to give himself super-powers only things went wrong and he ended up so muscular that he couldn't, you know, move. Thus, the weird-rear end exoskeleton thing.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Isn't there a whole thing with how some of their treatments didn't work and instead turned the subjects into horribly disfigured monsters?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
What are "tongue controls"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RandallODim posted:

What are "tongue controls"

Something like this, I imagine:

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Something like this, I imagine:

That's loving awesome

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What if you need to press A+B at the same time? Do you have to learn circular breathing like a didgiridoo player?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I really don't understand how an exoskeleton helps him move if the problem is him being too musclebound/bulky.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It provides enough additional power to move all the mass. His gait is probably hella funny though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm working my way through Gruenwald's Captain America primarily because of this thread, and while it doesn't make a ton of sense in the comic either, Power Broker's exoskeleton in the comic was a lot more like... I guess the power loader thing in Aliens? The "hands" were not mapped directly to his big beefy hands, but sort of an extended robotic hand past his that allowed him to work machines and pick things up. His big beefy legs couldn't walk, he just had little rocket boots. I don't know how he moved his arms though.

And yeah, the weird set-up of Power Broker's Power Giving was basically:

Some people would get super powers and some people would get turned into monsters (as seen on the cover of this issue I bought as a very little kid)

Unbeknownst to all of the successful powered-people, the "failed" power-ups just got dumped into the sewer.

All of the people who got powers were told they had to take a special pill from the Power Broker to keep their powers stable, let they turn into rampaging brutes, because this whole thing was set up to be a weird allegory for steroids in professional wrestling initially.

Later in GruCap it's revealed that actually you can have Power Broker powers forever just fine, the pill was some sort of... I don't know what, but it was just a drug entirely unrelated to the powers that he made everyone take so they'd have heroin-withdrawal style freak-outs if they didn't come back to get it from him on the regular, but this allowed all of the people powered-up by him (which was like half the supporting cast of GruCap at that point) keep being superheroes after they take him down.

Then there was a follow-up story where a bunch of the Z-listers with Power Broker powers got kidnapped to be used as depowering-guinea pigs to "get it right" when Power Broker gets depowered. Most of them turned into misshapen (but mentally intact) jelly blobs and poo poo, but then USAgent bursts in, makes PB/Malus turn them all back into normal humans off-panel, then smashes the machine to poo poo before Power Broker can cure himself. Because USAgent was kind of an rear end in a top hat even after he stopped being insane.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh poo poo, I just remembered that USAgent got his powers from the Power Broker too. He was a pro wrestler in Power Broker's league, and then decided to become a patriotic superhero for the publicity and money, under the name Super-Patriot. I think his buddies, Battlestar, Right-Winger and Left-Winger got the same deal, too.

TripleU
Jun 25, 2013
In the Gruenwald Cap run, there were some backup stories about Battle Star getting kidnapped and depowered, but eventually breaking out of Power Broker's dungeon and repowering himself to break everyone else out. But I don't think anyone remembers Battle Star.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

From the BSS Movie thread:

Lobok posted:

You should probably do Starhawk as a Handbook entry then!

OK!

Day 48: Starhawk

Starhawk is an original member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. The version from far in the future. He is the son of Quasar and Ayesha/Kismet/Her that you may remember from the Adam Warlock entry. Or at least a future version of those characters. He also weighs 450 lbs according to this sheet.

Oh and more recently sometimes he's a woman. Not to be confused with his sister Aleta who is also sometimes known as Starhawk.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So his adopted sister is his wife, and also fused with him into a single being?

That is some advanced level fuckery.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Ok, True Believers! Don't Miss Next Issue! Captain America is Destroyed Forever! No Tricks! No Fooling! No Refunds!"

*Starhawk's ship Captain America blows up*

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

goatface posted:

I hear that's the plot of Flash Season 5.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

"Ok, True Believers! Don't Miss Next Issue! Captain America is Destroyed Forever! No Tricks! No Fooling! No Refunds!"

*Starhawk's ship Captain America blows up*

I always found it neat how the far future guardians of the galaxy were inspired by classic Marvel heroes, especially Cap.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

TripleU posted:

In the Gruenwald Cap run, there were some backup stories about Battle Star getting kidnapped and depowered, but eventually breaking out of Power Broker's dungeon and repowering himself to break everyone else out. But I don't think anyone remembers Battle Star.

He was just in Sam's Captain America book. He showed up to wrestle D-Man at a special anniversary reunion show.

I always kind of appreciated how Battle Star has consistently just been a Good Dude in everything he shows up in. I was paranoid they were going to kill him when he appeared in Marvel Zombies Supreme, but he made it through.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

X-O posted:

I hear that's the plot of Flash Season 5.
Is that why my mom just shakes her head when I ask how that show is going?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

That is some advanced level fuckery.

Jim Starlin...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Fun fact, I don't think Jim Starlin ever wrote the character of Starhawk, or Guardians of the Galaxy. But I don't remember Starhawk's hosed up history enough to know if all of this was part of Steve Gerber's early run, something weird Jim Valentino cooked up as a retcon, or something some other weirdo the used them in between.

Definitely not Starlin though.

Also TripleU come on, Lurdiak and I explicitly mention Battlestar (ex-BUCkies, Bold Urban Commandos) in the posts directly above yours, I even specifically mention the story you cited.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I feel like "sub-light speed flight" is too general and too specific at the same time

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Power Broker was responsible for so many people getting powers that I've knkwn about the name for ages. Never seen him before though. It's a look, I'll give him that.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Edge & Christian posted:

Fun fact, I don't think Jim Starlin ever wrote the character of Starhawk, or Guardians of the Galaxy. But I don't remember Starhawk's hosed up history enough to know if all of this was part of Steve Gerber's early run, something weird Jim Valentino cooked up as a retcon, or something some other weirdo the used them in between.

Definitely not Starlin though.

It was Steve Gerber.

The first comic I ever owned was Marvel Presents #10, which was part 2 of Starhawk’s origin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 49: Squadron Supreme

I think most are familiar with the concept of Squadron Supreme and how they are analogues to the Justice League. The 12 issue series from Gruenwald is still one of my favorite Marvel books from that era.

Skylark is based on a combination of Black Canary and Hawkgirl
I couldn't find an individual entry for her.

Shape is based on Plastic Man

Dr. Spectrum is based on Green Lantern

Hyperion is based on Superman

Power Princess is based on Wonder Woman

Whizzer is based on Flash

Haywire is based on Vibe

Moonglow is based on Gypsy

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 10, 2017

TripleU
Jun 25, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Also TripleU come on, Lurdiak and I explicitly mention Battlestar (ex-BUCkies, Bold Urban Commandos) in the posts directly above yours, I even specifically mention the story you cited.

I ain't got my glasses on but I ain't see it -- just mentions of Left-Winger and Right-Winger. My bad! Loving this thread, regardless.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Day 49: Squadron Supreme

I think most are familiar with the concept of Squadron Supreme and how they are analogues to the Justice League. The 12 issue series from Gruenwald is still one of my favorite Marvel books from that era.

Nightbatmanhawk is conspicuously absent from that lineup. Did they want to avoid confusion with the 616 Nighthawk? (aka the only OG Squadron Sinister member that ever went sort of anywhere)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Why the hell would you name a piss yellow guy Whizzer? Or if the name came first, why make him piss yellow?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe they were taking the piss?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lurdiak posted:

Nightbatmanhawk is conspicuously absent from that lineup. Did they want to avoid confusion with the 616 Nighthawk? (aka the only OG Squadron Sinister member that ever went sort of anywhere)

A lot of characters died at the end of the 12-issue miniseries, including Nighthawk, and that lineup seems to only consist of the survivors.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

He's no longer on this iteration of the team. He resigned and is opposed to them in the series. Both Nighthawks are in the Handbook though and we'll get to them eventually. I only included the ones on the team here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's actually a double-reference. Note he's credited as Whizzer II - this is because The Whizzer was one of Marvel's original golden age heroes who was also the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (until his babies were retconned into being still births so Magneto could be Quicksilver's dad because they both had similar hair). Piss yellow whizzer is a legacy character.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

Skylark is based on a combination of Black Canary and Hawkgirl
I couldn't find an individual entry for her.

Note that Skylark was originally Lady Lark, a more direct Black Canary clone, who was involved with the Squadron's Hawkman clone; when he died, she took his wings as an homage to him and became Skylark.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Note that Skylark was originally Lady Lark, a more direct Black Canary clone, who was involved with the Squadron's Hawkman clone; when he died, she took his wings as an homage to him and became Skylark.

Yeah when she was Lady Lark she was also with Golden Archer. I'm sure you all can guess who he was based on.

There's lots of other members like Tom Thumb, Nuke, Amphibian, etc. This is basically the team as it was at the time of the Handbook printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Yeah when she was Lady Lark she was also with Golden Archer. I'm sure you all can guess who he was based on.
Ronald McDonald?

• Locked thread