Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

School Nickname posted:

17 pale tongues and I can't take any more ganks, BKGs and fight clubs tonight. Gonna Play EVE Online, gatecamp and watch chaturbate. It's so much easier.

Try the dragon barracks. Its quite busy and has a pretty high mortality rate, and it's not known for gank squads at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Try the dragon barracks. Its quite busy and has a pretty high mortality rate, and it's not known for gank squads at all.

+1 to this and the Archives

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
If you're just looking for tongues, the two darkwraiths in Farron have a pretty decent drop rate with the gold serpent ring +3 and a rusted coin.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Are the Blue Sentinels bugged? Half the time, I don't get a proof of concord kept.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sapozhnik posted:

If people are looking for another Kay Plays style run of DS1 then check out laurentheflute on youtube

hampig posted:

Yeah this is good because she's a lot more literate than your average reddit lore poster, but the backseating is out of control holy poo poo.

The guy who monitored DSCM until he saw her steam tag so he could always appear in her connections, open shortcut doors as an invader and appear in her videos as a bonfire ghost :stare:

This is from a few pages back, but I'm catching up with her videos now and uggggggghhhhh I had forgotten how awkward that guy is :suicide: I tried calling him out on it once and he got super defensive. He really shows up at every single bonfire, and because the delay of the stream and nature of DS multiplayer you just know that he's standing there spamming emotes and showing off his endgame weapons and armor until it shows up on stream. For like 4 hours. Every streamer has these sorts of people, but laurentheflute definitely seems to attract a lot of them. During the previous games there was that GG Chrono guy who showed up in every single stream and kept constantly telling her what to do (to the point where I covered chat because it drove me nuts), but I guess he doesn't have any interest in DS. :whitewater:

That said, I like her playthrough. It's interesting to see Dark Souls from the perspective of someone who's not very good at (action) video games but really enjoys the lore aspects. If she's ever gonna complete the game it's gonna take probably a year though :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Node posted:

Are the Blue Sentinels bugged? Half the time, I don't get a proof of concord kept.

Are you actually killing the invader? Cause if they just crystal out then you don't get anything.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vermain posted:

The controls handling like a tugboat can be overlooked in DS1 because it's a very slow paced game that's largely about pattern recognition, whereas DS3 is about split-second reflexes to dodge the outrageously fast beginnings of multi-hit combos from enemies that may as well have no recovery frames. I think Champion Gundyr is a great example of this progression: he's doing loving Roman cancels while you're trying to make your character not execute a dodge command that happened 3 seconds in the past. Not only do the poor controls make the game feel bad to play when you're up against enemies like that, it makes you feel like a chump when every enemy seems to be able to do much cooler movement and attacks compared to you.

I mean, you're kinda supposed to feel weak in these games? Like, Bloodborne is about being a total badass who could tear monsters to shreds in a second, but Dark Souls has always created the feeling like the odds are completely stacked against you.
A lot of enemies in this game seem like they are walls of constant outgoing damage but actually leave plenty of openings in between their attacks. The Cathedral Knights for example are very intimidating at first, they hit fast and constantly and don't stagger easily. They don't leave many wide openings, but they do leave a ton of small openings. So you might not be able to do any combos against them, but you can establish a rhythm of dodge-hit-dodge-hit. This racks up damage faster than you'd expect, because the openings are small but they are everywhere. Champion Gundyr is also a nice example, because whether he continues his combos or not depends on your position or actions. Getting in close and attacking makes him try and hit you back. So you bait out his attacks, dodge, and hit, thus baiting out another attack that you can be ready for since you know it's coming. Freide seems like an unstoppable whirlwind but many of her moves have her pause for a moment afterwards, you need to recognize these moves, dodge them, and then counter immediately afterwards without waiting for the opening that you already know is coming.

There are some outliers in the mix that I've mentioned in other posts, but generally most of damage you'll take in this game is fair and avoidable. Usually what gets you killed is getting nervous and hesitating or panicking. Observing enemies' patterns closely, learning their openings and how to dodge their attacks, and then acting confidently is what gets you through. This was always the case with past Souls games but this game punishes you for trying to play it safe more than ever.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

I mean, you're kinda supposed to feel weak in these games? Like, Bloodborne is about being a total badass who could tear monsters to shreds in a second, but Dark Souls has always created the feeling like the odds are completely stacked against you.
A lot of enemies in this game seem like they are walls of constant outgoing damage but actually leave plenty of openings in between their attacks. The Cathedral Knights for example are very intimidating at first, they hit fast and constantly and don't stagger easily. They don't leave many wide openings, but they do leave a ton of small openings. So you might not be able to do any combos against them, but you can establish a rhythm of dodge-hit-dodge-hit. This racks up damage faster than you'd expect, because the openings are small but they are everywhere. Champion Gundyr is also a nice example, because whether he continues his combos or not depends on your position or actions. Getting in close and attacking makes him try and hit you back. So you bait out his attacks, dodge, and hit, thus baiting out another attack that you can be ready for since you know it's coming. Freide seems like an unstoppable whirlwind but many of her moves have her pause for a moment afterwards, you need to recognize these moves, dodge them, and then counter immediately afterwards without waiting for the opening that you already know is coming.

There are some outliers in the mix that I've mentioned in other posts, but generally most of damage you'll take in this game is fair and avoidable. Usually what gets you killed is getting nervous and hesitating or panicking. Observing enemies' patterns closely, learning their openings and how to dodge their attacks, and then acting confidently is what gets you through. This was always the case with past Souls games but this game punishes you for trying to play it safe more than ever.

I agree with feeling like the odds should be stacked against you, but I also feel like that's extremely accomplished by having a regular sized human being fighting gigantic insane monsters. Everything you say about how fights work is true, but that's true for each of the dark souls games. DS3 is the one with the highest pressure setting. There was a move by the Boreal dancer that I have no idea how you're supposed to counter it other than by being away from her when she does it. THe spinny attack move where she moves forward several times spinning. Trying to roll through that is like ugh. It's a death sentence. The outrider knight just kept coming at me, with no pause long enough for my sorcery character to even get off a cast, if I wanted to be alive afterwards. In DS2 there were the big black armored knights at the dragon temple, the ones with the giant maces were the closest to this whirlwind style of attack. It's very ugh to deal with. I got good at rolling in DS2, but im finding it hard to get good at rolling in DS3.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So I'm finally starting Dark Souls 3, after playing 1 a few times, and after playing for a few hours I'm thinking of starting over "for real," since that's usually how I play games like this. Any tips that aren't exactly "spoilers" but would also spare me some problem from making awful decisions? Like, objectively bad starting classes,
classes which are the best for pursuing various play styles due to their stat allocation, best/worst starting gifts?

What I'm saying is, I don't consider being warned against trap choices or being told tips about game mechanics spoilers. Right now I'm a knightm and am mostly okay with the playstyle. Mostly I'm just overwhelmed by the speed of this post-bloodborne system, and the decreased input lag and the necessity of increased aggression since most things have no poise anymore.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SHISHKABOB posted:

There was a move by the Boreal dancer that I have no idea how you're supposed to counter it other than by being away from her when she does it. THe spinny attack move where she moves forward several times spinning. Trying to roll through that is like ugh. It's a death sentence.
Forgive me if I mix up which spinny move you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure that one has a distinct rhythm to her spins. Dodging in time keeps you safe, and at worst you only need to dodge twice or so to move yourself behind her, then you can back up out of range of the rest of the spins while letting your stamina recharge.

quote:

The outrider knight just kept coming at me, with no pause long enough for my sorcery character to even get off a cast, if I wanted to be alive afterwards. In DS2 there were the big black armored knights at the dragon temple, the ones with the giant maces were the closest to this whirlwind style of attack. It's very ugh to deal with. I got good at rolling in DS2, but im finding it hard to get good at rolling in DS3.

I can't really say much about the experience of a sorcery character, but yeah it's no secret that this game is not friendly to casters at all. Outrider Knights are one of the ruder enemies in the game where it legitimately is really hard to find a chance to attack them or to heal. Their ice breathe attack is safely punishable at least.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

Forgive me if I mix up which spinny move you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure that one has a distinct rhythm to her spins. Dodging in time keeps you safe, and at worst you only need to dodge twice or so to move yourself behind her, then you can back up out of range of the rest of the spins while letting your stamina recharge.

I can't really say much about the experience of a sorcery character, but yeah it's no secret that this game is not friendly to casters at all. Outrider Knights are one of the ruder enemies in the game where it legitimately is really hard to find a chance to attack them or to heal. Their ice breathe attack is safely punishable at least.

Yeah, those weren't really legitimate grievances. I'm glad there's only two of them in the game. I think. Were there five or four Knights, I don't remember. Vordt, Dancer, Road of Sacrifices, Castle Lothric and... ? Is there another one?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So I'm finally starting Dark Souls 3, after playing 1 a few times, and after playing for a few hours I'm thinking of starting over "for real," since that's usually how I play games like this. Any tips that aren't exactly "spoilers" but would also spare me some problem from making awful decisions? Like, objectively bad starting classes,
classes which are the best for pursuing various play styles due to their stat allocation, best/worst starting gifts?

What I'm saying is, I don't consider being warned against trap choices or being told tips about game mechanics spoilers. Right now I'm a knightm and am mostly okay with the playstyle. Mostly I'm just overwhelmed by the speed of this post-bloodborne system, and the decreased input lag and the necessity of increased aggression since most things have no poise anymore.

If you hold down on the D-pad for changing your item, it automatically switches to your item in the first slot. So you can put your estus there, and always be able to go straight to it even if you have a million things on your belt.

You can access a respec thing at like I think a third of the way through the game, so I don't think stat choices are really gonna trap you. If they even do in the first place.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 9, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
warrior and knight for melee classes, which is better depends on what youre going for really. pyromancer for pyromancers and some sorc or faith builds. sorc and cleric are bad unless you really heavily go for specific builds, they waste a lot of points in luck so your build needs to be very special that it makes up for those wasted points.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah, those weren't really legitimate grievances. I'm glad there's only two of them in the game. I think. Were there five or four Knights, I don't remember. Vordt, Dancer, Road of Sacrifices, Castle Lothric and... ? Is there another one?

If you hold down on the D-pad for changing your item, it automatically switches to your item in the first slot. So you can put your estus there, and always be able to go straight to it even if you have a million things on your belt.

You can access a respec thing at like I think a third of the way through the game, so I don't think stat choices are really gonna trap you. If they even do in the first place.

Theres one in archives. so 5 total including the bosses

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Don't go full spell slinging wizard. Magic isn't a very good option for pure DPS even if you do have an ashen estus flask for your MP now. If you do want to go a caster build be it pyromancy, miracle or sorcery you're best off picking a weapon that fits into your build and either buffing or infusing it and using magic as extra damage or nukes to kill tough dudes and bosses.

SHISHKABOB posted:

You only get 5 respecs as well.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The assassin starts with the Estoc which I heard is pretty good.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah but I only get 6 of those or Not-Gwynevere turns me into a testicle monster bean bag chair

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Theres one in archives. so 5 total including the bosses

Oh yeah I remember that one now. Illusory walls are usually fun but that one... :yikes:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Faith is a support stat and has extremely limited utility until endgame, and extremely limited offensive utility until forever. That being said get access to respeccing fairly early on. And you can still level Faith and have the game be perfectly doable, you'll just need to spend a while using a Raw-infused weapon for damage which is surprisingly not that terrible. Trying to go pure mage will generally make the game much more difficult.
That's really it in terms of "trap" builds, just make sure you don't neglect Endurance and Vitality too much or you'll find yourself getting bodied a lot more.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man I just booted up DS1 again and I had forgotten how awkward so many of the animations feel. Also I looked through the different weapons and armor and remembered why I haven't played more DS1, there's so few (especially viable) things to play with :qq:

Someone suggest me a fun DS1 build so I don't get stuck doing the same old BSS run as I usually do.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

Man I just booted up DS1 again and I had forgotten how awkward so many of the animations feel. Also I looked through the different weapons and armor and remembered why I haven't played more DS1, there's so few (especially viable) things to play with :qq:

Someone suggest me a fun DS1 build so I don't get stuck doing the same old BSS run as I usually do.

Go get the zweihander.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Int/fth build. Crystal-infused something (longsword is a good solid choice) or titanite catch pole if you get lucky -> velka's rapier and/or moonlight butterfly horn -> moonlight greatsword, with as much magic as you feel like thrown in. Faith is for added utility and wrath of the gods, and I guess the Astora's straight sword if you really want to use it (it's not that great in DS1 aside from the catacombs).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Augus posted:

I mean, you're kinda supposed to feel weak in these games?

My primary complaint is that the unresponsive nature of the controls doesn't contribute to the sense of you being against the odds - it only contributes to frustration. The lengthy storage time of the action queue is the primary culprit, because the combos that certain enemies like Friede and Pontiff can do come out so quickly that they necessitate two-three dodge rolls in a row. If you gently caress up on the first one slightly and get hit, you're almost guaranteed to get hit on the second one, because the second stored roll will come out delayed (unless you're really holding it until the last possible second) and your iframes will likely end mid-hitbox. This wasn't a problem for DS1 or DS2's bosses, because the time between swings was generous enough that you almost never needed to dodge back-to-back to avoid something. You could dodge, pause for half a second, dodge, and repeat, which meant that dodge roll spamming wasn't necessary. Bosses like Friede, Pontiff, and Gael break this mold significantly, and not, I would argue, in a good way.

I don't think a long storage time and the necessary clunkiness that comes along with it is necessary for either punishing panic mashing or creating a sense of you being against the odds. You can make the action queue's storage time much shorter and compensate by making iframes tighter, requiring more deliberate use of the dodge key, or you can simply stick with bosses that adhere to the DS1/DS2 format of providing reasonable pauses between their swings. Both of these work fine for the basic combat system of DS-style games.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So I just finished the new DLC. What's the deal with giving the soul to the painting lady? Literally the only take away I can think of from this is that it's some sort of teaser for another From Software game or something. Otherwise, what the hell is the point?

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Vermain posted:

My primary complaint is that the unresponsive nature of the controls doesn't contribute to the sense of you being against the odds - it only contributes to frustration. The lengthy storage time of the action queue is the primary culprit, because the combos that certain enemies like Friede and Pontiff can do come out so quickly that they necessitate two-three dodge rolls in a row. If you gently caress up on the first one slightly and get hit, you're almost guaranteed to get hit on the second one, because the second stored roll will come out delayed (unless you're really holding it until the last possible second) and your iframes will likely end mid-hitbox. This wasn't a problem for DS1 or DS2's bosses, because the time between swings was generous enough that you almost never needed to dodge back-to-back to avoid something. You could dodge, pause for half a second, dodge, and repeat, which meant that dodge roll spamming wasn't necessary. Bosses like Friede, Pontiff, and Gael break this mold significantly, and not, I would argue, in a good way.

Weird. I find that the queue issues matter a lot less here than they did back in Dark Souls. It's still absolutely something that shouldn't be in the game, but they still matter less both because fewer things trigger them and because individual actions matter less.

BlackFrost posted:

So I just finished the new DLC. What's the deal with giving the soul to the painting lady? Literally the only take away I can think of from this is that it's some sort of teaser for another From Software game or something. Otherwise, what the hell is the point?

It's sort of an alternate take on a lot of the game's themes- mixing together fire and darkness to create something new, rather than either linking the fire at the dark's expense or casting the world into darkness at the fire's expense. Also one last, depressing O. Henry/Gift of the Magi style twist, where it turns at that Gael sacrificed himself to see the painting completed when Gael was the person she was creating a painting to provide a home for.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 9, 2017

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

BlackFrost posted:

So she can paint a new world that will be a goodly home. She uses the dark soul pigment to create a new world without the undead curse that has plagued all 3 DS universes.

What are the essential sorceries for a high int caster? I'm trying out sorcery for a change of pace and it's so far pretty good. I was able to respec pretty high in INT right away with 43 points. I have the crown of dusk, bellowing dragoncrest ring, sages ring, magic clutch, and sages ring for all the DPS bonuses I can muster. Got a crystal infused long sword to +9 which gives me A scaling in INT for melee backup. Right now I only have homing crystal soul mass, farron dart, and great heavy soul arrow while I level up my attunement for more FP.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Ah, I didn't pick up on that when I did it. That makes a lot of sense, though. Kinda nice that the game just sort of ... ends. No bombastic cutscene or anything. Feels appropriate, though I do wish there was a bit more. Weird sendoff for the series.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Well the DLC is really a side story. I don't know why anyone expected it to add a new ending beyond what we got from the Soul of Cinder.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's a thematic resolution, not a plot resolution

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BlackFrost posted:

Ah, I didn't pick up on that when I did it. That makes a lot of sense, though. Kinda nice that the game just sort of ... ends. No bombastic cutscene or anything. Feels appropriate, though I do wish there was a bit more. Weird sendoff for the series.

A weird sendoff for a weird series :v:

I think it was great, and anyone who expected otherwise surely hasn't played enough Dark Souls.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Well the DLC is really a side story. I don't know why anyone expected it to add a new ending beyond what we got from the Soul of Cinder.

I think people just expected more out of the ending because it's likely going to be the last piece of Dark Souls content we ever get, at least for some time. With all the mention of "the dark soul" and the furtive pygmy and revisiting old locations, it really felt like it was going somewhere a bit more significant.

Granted, I found it satisfying. Gael is a really fun fight, with maybe just a smidge more health than he should have, and I'm glad the series ended on a high note with him. Midir wasn't too bad either, though I was only playing on NG and I imagine he's a complete nightmare on NG+ and up.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackFrost posted:

I love it because it invalidates all those people who thought we'd get answers from the dlc instead their obscene/weird lore theories about Velka and Gwynevere actively mocked at by projected heal's description.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You don't understand man, Velka is behind, like, everything

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gologle posted:

You don't understand man, Velka is behind, like, everything

It was me all along, I'm the Velka.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Your Computer posted:

Yeah I watched a old video and was cringing at the malformed club whatever animations in ds2. Everyone says there was a ton of builds in that but I managed to stumble into every trap one I guess, so I know the feeling that there's so little to work with. The DLC has really helped the builds in 3

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BlackFrost posted:

Ah, I didn't pick up on that when I did it. That makes a lot of sense, though.

It was also meant for Gael, so all your labors were for nothing. :darksouls:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nuebot posted:

It was me all along, I'm the Velka.

Yo you guys hear about Gwynevere? I heard she balled a dragon. How whack is that?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
God drat it DS1, literally the first Balder Knight I kill drops the Side Sword :arghfist::qq:

e: screw it I'm CE'ing this thing into a Catch Pole. Never used one of those before and they look cool. The DS1 halberd miss animation is the most awkward thing in the entire series though, what an awful animation.

FauxGateau posted:

I love it because it invalidates all those people who thought we'd get answers from the dlc instead their obscene/weird lore theories about Velka and Gwynevere actively mocked at by projected heal's description.

This is the second best thing about the DLC (you know what the first is) :allears:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 9, 2017

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Rejoining the thread to post this. Been running up a new char, and had a weird glitch during the Abyss Watchers fight. Check it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV9VchPa6rg

So I am bumping thru the first half with a summon, and you can see he's trying to line up a backstab right as I land the last blow before phase two. As we come back from the cutscene is where it gets weird.

Anyone ever see that happen before?

This was on PS4.

We both kinda look like "did that just happen?" :D

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
do you guys like greatswords and faith builds? I do. Apparently the drakeblood sword got a Raw buff with this latest patch. On my lovely pure faith build (18str/16dex/60fai) I get about 574 AR (305phys/134mag/134lite) vanilla. But when buffed with the sunlight straight sword WA and lightning blade/darkmoon blade it jumps up to 901 AR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

7c Nickel posted:

Because by comparison, The Old Hunters expansion was the final and missing chapter that nicely wrapped up Bloodborne. Sure there are still some mysteries but they don't really matter and the direct plot involving the main actors is explored at length pretty well. Given how fragmented DS3 felt, expectations were high.

Overall not a bad resolution but not nearly as sastisfying as Bloodborne's last few extra bits