Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Washington's been out of the yard for how long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

goatface posted:

Washington's been out of the yard for how long?

Commissioned 15 May 1941.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

HannibalBarca posted:

the last pilot flying the last plane drops kamikazes the last bomb to sink the last ship carrying the last marine

I think I see our plot for this world's take on Peace on Earth

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Velius posted:

I don't think the CLAA was a better target than the battleships - late war those things are absolutely devastating in shore bombardments and the fast battleships do a great job absorbing bombs for fleet CVs. The US get something like 14 fast battleships for the duration, including 4 Sodak, 4 NC, 4 Iowa, and Alaska/Guam CBs. What's the total battleship sunk tally now?

Hitting those CLAAs early means less risk of losing half a wave of planes for every other ship in that fleet, though.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

50mm is 2 inches, which would be quite a sight. (.50 cal is 12.7mm)

Battleship Liberator is a terrible anime in this timeline.

Velius posted:

I don't think the CLAA was a better target than the battleships - late war those things are absolutely devastating in shore bombardments and the fast battleships do a great job absorbing bombs for fleet CVs. The US get something like 14 fast battleships for the duration, including 4 Sodak, 4 NC, 4 Iowa, and Alaska/Guam CBs. What's the total battleship sunk tally now?

Ah, CBs. America's experiment with battlecruisers except worse in every possible way and 10 years too late.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

50mm is 2 inches, which would be quite a sight. (.50 cal is 12.7mm)

It would be a hilarious sight in War Thunder that's for sure.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

mllaneza posted:

Two of them ! With a low muzzle velocity and 80 rounds each ! So not so much as you'd think.

Hm so you're saying they'll eventually run out of bullets

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Danann posted:

It would be a hilarious sight in War Thunder that's for sure.

Sam Hall posted:

Here's a fun one; Tupolev ANT-23 from 1931. 2 engines in a push/pull configuration, twin boom tail. The tail booms are 76mm recoilless rifles.

Unfortunately it had terrible flying characteristics, suffered from poor airflow over the rear engine, and had no way to stop the rear prop spinning if the pilot needed to bail out in a hurry. Also the only time it tried to fire its guns while airborne one of them exploded. Amazingly the test pilot actually managed to land what was left of the plane safely, for which feat he was awarded the Order of the Red Banner and not sent to Siberia with the gun's designer.
There you go, it's even Russian.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay dead BB! What's next is probably to avoid losing lots more planes to killing the other. But wow, congrats on getting another Battleship kill.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
50mm guns on a liberator would be like the AC130 gunship a few decades early.

Dangeresque
Dec 6, 2008
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, had a 75mm gun specially designed to go in the B-25. The Germans also had a flying version of their 50mm antitank gun. So it did happen.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dangeresque posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, had a 75mm gun specially designed to go in the B-25. The Germans also had a flying version of their 50mm antitank gun. So it did happen.
The Germans actually had a flying 75mm, same as the Americans.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Dangeresque posted:

I'll take your 75mm and raise you a 355mm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonderger%C3%A4t_SG104_%22M%C3%BCnchhausen%22

Never got all the bugs out though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Its easy to forget the Dutch are still in this war.

Bringing down a Liberator.

drat, a battleship made port.

We're mostly picking off the dregs now.

Some still have troops on though.

Others are barely worth the bombs.

I'd love to see how this kind of thing is reported in the newspapers.

We bring down another battleship – and cripple the AA cruiser!

The RAF continue to supply me with training opportunities.

Another good day! Although you can see the damage that AA cruiser has been doing!

Glug.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:toot:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Seems like a rip-off that you don't get to see the battleships in your sunk ships screen even when they're reported on the same day.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
at this point I would guess that American newspapers are being ruthlessly censored

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

9 April 1943

Japanese destroyer Isonami, torpedoed by US submarine Tautog southeast of Celebes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You've killed a lot of useful stuff like that APA as well.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is the BB a harder or easier target in that port?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Under 300 point score shift.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is the BB a harder or easier target in that port?

Easier to hit but you may lose more aircraft to flak defenses and if you don't outright sink the ship it stands a much better chance of being repaired. Depending on the supplies at Efate those Cruisers should be back in action and mullering planes in short order.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Would it be possible for the Allies to raise that BB from the bottom of the harbour and repair it? If yes, would it be feasible, or would it be something like "for that much effort and expense we could just build a new one"?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mikl posted:

Would it be possible for the Allies to raise that BB from the bottom of the harbour and repair it? If yes, would it be feasible, or would it be something like "for that much effort and expense we could just build a new one"?

A bunch of the Pearl Harbor battleships were refloated but it took until 1944 for a couple

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor#Battleships

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mikl posted:

No, WITP doesn't model refloating "sunk" ships.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

TildeATH posted:

No, WITP doesn't model refloating "sunk" ships.

Well, it does respawn US ships sunk before a certain date though doesn't it? :v:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

HannibalBarca posted:

Well, it does respawn US ships sunk before a certain date though doesn't it? :v:

No apparently they took that out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HannibalBarca posted:

It only counted for specific ship types, Battleships were not one of them.

Also, :rip: ZekeNY

goatface posted:

Under 300 point score shift.

South Dakota is worth 217

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So low? I thought they were well on the far side of 250, but I guess that's only carriers?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

So low? I thought they were well on the far side of 250, but I guess that's only carriers?

Only the Yamatos seem to be above 250

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

TildeATH posted:

No apparently they took that out.

I'm still sad about that. No second wind challenge! At this rate whenever a pair of Essexes come out they'll suicide out alone into enemy battleships and carriers.

Fun, but not as fun as another decisive battle or two.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

RA Rx posted:

I'm still sad about that. No second wind challenge! At this rate whenever a pair of Essexes come out they'll suicide out alone into enemy battleships and carriers.

If, and it's still a big if, Grey ends up taking the AI to town, I hope he has the manly fortitude to not take auto-victory and instead shoot for conquering India or Australia or Alaska or all of them.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

TildeATH posted:

If, and it's still a big if, Grey ends up taking the AI to town, I hope he has the manly fortitude to not take auto-victory and instead shoot for conquering India or Australia or Alaska or all of them.

Yes, please Grey, keep sinking Essexes through 1946 and make Australia and NZ cry.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Does the Yamato fit in the Panama Canal? We'll send the flagship to DC to accept Truman's surrender :getin:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

Does the Yamato fit in the Panama Canal? We'll send the flagship to DC to accept Truman's surrender :getin:

Unfortunately, the Yamato is about 5 m too wide for Panamax, gonna have to take the long way around. Edit: too wide for the original locks, looks like the Yamato could do it after New Panamax locks were completed last year.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 10, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

CannonFodder posted:

It'd be pretty epic to see Grey defeat the Soviet army (somehow) and go up against nukes, rocket bombardment and an ever increasing stream of Midway-class carriers like Terran marines in a Lurker killzone. Actual Japanese survival in January 1950!!!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 10, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RA Rx posted:

Considering the paucity of Japanese CV reinforcements, the awfulness that is Japanese damage control, the steady decline of Japanese pilot quality, and the sheer number of Essexes that will eventually come into play, it's still a die roll whenever the KB goes up against a single American CV, and there are so drat many that we need every edge we can get.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Considering the paucity of Japanese CV reinforcements, the awfulness that is Japanese damage control, the steady decline of Japanese pilot quality, and the sheer number of Essexes that will eventually come into play, it's still a die roll whenever the KB goes up against a single American CV, and there are so drat many that we need every edge we can get.

CVs aren't for killing carriers, BBs are.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grey cancelling the carriers due in '45 would make an extended campaign quite painful unless we get a few (lot) more bizarrely one way naval battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Another BB! Nice. You going to keep up the KB in the area to remain after them or at this point going to probably pull them back due to the Allies scattering everything in the area?