Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kurtofan posted:

Justin McElroy of the McElroy brothers did that lovely review of Nier? What a small world

I knew he was the worst brother.

Fangz posted:

I'm fairly sure I've seen moose attack machines. I don't think enemies have friendly fire, I think animals are just a different faction.

Some enemies hurt other enemies most don't. I've never paid enough attention to infighting to figure out what does what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Oh gently caress I never knew you could grab onto Pod when you fall, I always just ate the damage and healed up afterwards. :psyduck:

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Nuebot posted:

Some enemies hurt other enemies most don't. I've never paid enough attention to infighting to figure out what does what.

a lot of people did lovely reviews of nier back then, to the point where its easy to ignore them...
though a few still annoy the crap out of me, mostly those that legitimately call the story bad (hell, if I recall correctly, Sage of anime abandon called it one of the worst games he ever played, calling the story crap and even complaining that the loading screens with yonah's diary where bad)
though it does serve as a sort of metric for me to personally judge how bad of a reviewer someone is ( never bothered to play far enough in the game? average reviewer really; Played most of the game and still found it in themselves to call the story bad? there is something DEEPLY wrong with that person's judgment)

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

Moose are dangerous as hell if provoked for a few reasons:

That reminds of Gothic 3 where in a world full of orcs and skeletons and dragons the most deadly enemy were boars. Stunlocking bastards...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

There are four enemies in the game that can potentially be Level 99. Two are optional super bosses. One is a moose.
[/list]

I love this game so much. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

There are four enemies in the game that can potentially be Level 99. Two are optional super bosses. One is a moose.
Let me guess: there's an ending tied to beating and/or dying to the Level 99 moose, isn't there?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Even in real life moose vs car often ends in a tie so being extremely dangerous to androids the size of a petite human isn't that surprising. Don't gently caress with moose.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
If the optional superbosses are also animals I will lose it.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Alavaria posted:

If the optional superbosses are also animals I will lose it.

I'd hope there'd be a superboss boar just to reference how bullshit the boar quest was when you could first get it in Nier 1.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

endolithic posted:

Even in real life moose vs car often ends in a tie so being extremely dangerous to androids the size of a petite human isn't that surprising. Don't gently caress with moose.

Back when I was learning to drive, my dad laid things out very clearly. "If you hit a deer, the car is damaged and the deer is dead. If you hit an elk, the car is busted and the elk walks off, probably to die later. If you hit a moose, the car is totaled and you're lucky to have a chance to *wonder* about what damage you did to it."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
No moose drifting!? 3/10 :colbert:

A Magical Lamp posted:

I'd hope there'd be a superboss boar just to reference how bullshit the boar quest was when you could first get it in Nier 1.

:stonk: That must be why Moose cannot drift... Because the optional Boar Superboss is a Moose Riding a Boar, doing sick Tokyo Drifts in your face!
With explosions!

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

EponymousMrYar posted:

No moose drifting!? 3/10 :colbert:

:stonk: That must be why Moose cannot drift... Because the optional Boar Superboss is a Moose Riding a Boar, doing sick Tokyo Drifts in your face!
With explosions!

Dear god... :stonk: Could even Caim and Angelus defeat such a thing?! (My money's on: probably, but it'd be a hell of a fight.)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Skylight posted:

Dear god... :stonk: Could even Caim and Angelus defeat such a thing?! (My money's on: probably, but it'd be a hell of a fight.)

That's the optional superboss. It involves Guitar Hero mechanics.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That's the optional superboss. It requires a Guitar Hero controller.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Nuebot posted:

Was he the guy who wrote the review that Id read aloud in the Nier LP, or were there two separate people who were beaten by the big red X

(I had that problem when I first played too, because I am an idiot. I looked it up though)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There are at least two different features in this game I'm convinced were implemented specifically in response to that guy's review, and one of them is the big pop-up at the start telling you "If you're lost, FOLLOW THE RED THING ON YOUR MINI-MAP."

Anyway, this game is good.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Kurtofan posted:

Justin McElroy of the McElroy brothers did that lovely review of Nier? What a small world

I've said it once, I'll say it again. The McElroy Brothers are not experts, and their advice should never be followed.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That's the optional superboss. It involves Guitar Hero mechanics.

I'll admit that if this game doesn't have a boss where you Guitar Duel a moose while racing boars I will be extremely disappointed.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Beat the game in anticipation of this thread! I might have to go back and try to get 100% though, since there are obviously things I missed.

I haven't played the first Nier to compare, but the companion AI is pretty decent. Doesn't get in the way too much and can tank some robos for you.

EDIT: Was it someone in thread that recommended Bokurano, because holy poo poo.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 9, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Neopie posted:

I've said it once, I'll say it again. The McElroy Brothers are not experts, and their advice should never be followed.

Not emptyquoting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neopie posted:

You mean I shouldn't name my chinchilla business "Chin Deep Exotics"?

Bruceski posted:

Back when I was learning to drive, my dad laid things out very clearly. "If you hit a deer, the car is damaged and the deer is dead. If you hit an elk, the car is busted and the elk walks off, probably to die later. If you hit a moose, the car is totaled and you're lucky to have a chance to *wonder* about what damage you did to it."

When I was younger a family friend actually died to a moose. He was on a motorcycle and it was pregnant. He hit it so hard he died and it gave birth in the middle of the road.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Now I've got this mental image of this guitar hero looking fight where you're essentially playing the boss monster in one of those "dodge the obstacles, reach the boss" segments, only you're moving backwards, laying mines or bombs and the moose-riding boar is drifting around them trying to get to you.

Glimpse posted:

No, mantling, or to mantel is a climbing (and videogame) term for 'get up on top of a thing', a thing being like a shelf, a shelf in a vertical climb being like a fireplace mantel. I've seen it spelled both mantel and mantle.

Huh, I'd looked up the word beforehand just in case and didn't see anything like that. Even now with the alt spelling, nothing like that in dictionaries. Had to actively search "mantle climb" to get a wiki glossary of climbing terms.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Did they ever put Nier on PS4? I didn't have time between picking it up and selling my PS3 to finish the drat thing and I'm missing it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A Magical Lamp posted:

Did they ever put Nier on PS4? I didn't have time between picking it up and selling my PS3 to finish the drat thing and I'm missing it.

There have been hints that the success of Automata is prompting a port. But no, there isn't one currently.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

oath2order posted:

I'm only a bit further in the game than TDI is, and I'm super suspicious about these city ruins. I'm also not so sure how old they're supposed to be. They look more "normal" than the ruins from Nier, even though they're supposed to be older than any human ruin still standing today? Or, were they build later, in the 1500 years between Nier's near-apocolypse and the Alien Invasion. Or, was there a period during the 14 machine wars where human built these structures. Have the machine's been building and repairing structures? It's not impossible.

The part that actually sticks out to me is the wrecked cars you see in one of the shots. They're still visibly recognizable as cars - there is absolutely no way a car's body is going to still be there (let alone recognizable) after thousands of years. It's immediately suspicious as hell.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

LordAba posted:

Mohiro Kitoh is like Yoko Taro without the latter's charm, humor, range, or optimism.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

LordAba posted:

That was me. Sort of. It's an interesting ride of a series.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Does obsessive and pedantic annotation of all of the OPs typos happen in every thread in this forum?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

Does obsessive and pedantic annotation of all of the OPs typos happen in every thread in this forum?

Nah, it's so he knows what to go back and fix. I think he actually asks people to do this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Under the vegetable posted:

Id's threads attract a special type of idiot, though I think he's actually fine with grammar corrections.

For example, I recall multiple people essentially writing fanfiction combining various games Id has played in the Drakengard 3 thread.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
TDI actually asks and thanks people for pointing out his spelling errors, sooo

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Mohiro Kitoh is like Yoko Taro without the latter's charm, humor, range, or optimism.

Now, now, Mohiro Kitoh is perfectly capable of writing anime about cute girls doing cute things (on bicycles) when the mood takes him. That's like range.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

bman in 2288 posted:

Nah, it's so he knows what to go back and fix. I think he actually asks people to do this.

It would make sense if he asks, yeah. I tend to miss things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GeneX posted:

Id's threads attract a special type of idiot, though I think he's actually fine with grammar corrections.

For example, I recall multiple people essentially writing fanfiction combining various games Id has played in the Drakengard 3 thread.

You remember wrong. There were just a few pages where people recycled all the old memes he creates in his RE LP's and so on.

It's weird but kind of understandable since he's like the OG screenshot LP'er and there's a lot of nostalgia built up about his stuff (because his RE4 LP was over 10 years ago and we're OOOOOLLLLLLLD)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Oxxidation posted:

You remember wrong. There were just a few pages where people recycled all the old memes he creates in his RE LP's and so on.

It's weird but kind of understandable since he's like the OG screenshot LP'er and there's a lot of nostalgia built up about his stuff (because his RE4 LP was over 10 years ago and we're OOOOOLLLLLLLD)

I'm pretty sure there was was a whole lot of stuff about how Caim would react to X or Y, but whatever, I might be mixing things up with a different LPer with a minor cult.

E: oh wait I think it was SGF

Jen X fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 9, 2017

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

GeneX posted:

I'm pretty sure there was was a whole lot of stuff about how Caim would react to X or Y, but whatever, I might be mixing things up with a different LPer with a minor cult.

This couldn't have been an actual derail, because Caim has exactly one reaction to any given situation (it's murder)

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
If we're talking about a level 99 moose riding a boar that drifts and needs Guitar Hero/Rock Band controls to win, they'd make us do something like Through Fire and Flames or Painkiller.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My first reaction to being left on top of a roof was to test fall damage, and I immediately proceeded to laugh my rear end off at the free fall pose. I go EVERYWHERE on Boarback, BoarDrifting is the only way to destroy the machine scourge. I got a boar to stand stably on a tiny platform half its size, it took 20 minutes, yes I'm proud. I made it a rule to kill all moose, not because they killed me, but because I got 2 animal bait before going to the resistance and the fuckers didnt let me ride them after I gave it to them.
I remember there being an article saying we can ride other things besides animals, Is it a spoiler to ask what they are, because my friend that beat the game says he never found them. Also I would pay for the ability to ride that superboar.

All I remember is that I read 2 old LP Threads before buying my account. One was FF7 by Elentor and one was Drakengard 3 by Id, both involved people getting their wisdom teeth pulled out and this discussion continuing for like 3 pages.

Since it was mentioned I actually read the entire Resident Evil 4 and 1 Lps, and holy poo poo dude, somehow ID took a game genre I've always despised and made me enjoy it, that takes alot of bad jokes. Speaking of Resident Evil 4, this is a thing someone is making that I learned about today.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or be terrified.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

MythosDragon posted:

Since it was mentioned I actually read the entire Resident Evil 4 and 1 Lps, and holy poo poo dude, somehow ID took a game genre I've always despised and made me enjoy it, that takes alot of bad jokes. Speaking of Resident Evil 4, this is a thing someone is making that I learned about today.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or be terrified.

There's no "SUPLEX" option, 0/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

VolticSurge posted:

There's no "SUPLEX" option, 0/10.

For Ashley or Leon? Either way I'd play it with that option.

And seriously, what is with Japan and boars? I'm looking at the Tales Of series; there's boar-type enemies in every game, and at least two of the games (Graces and Xillia) have a boar boss that can easily compete for the Game's Toughest Storyline Boss title, to make no mention of any optional boar bosses.

• Locked thread