Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

TheLoser posted:

You can date multiple girls. There's no gameplay consequences for it. However...something will happen.

Are there any special scenes I'll miss out on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the christmas scene. if you're dating multiple girls, you don't get any of the one-on-one scenes, i believe.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

glad I committed to Makoto then

was gonna go for Futaba originally but the context of her relationship with you kind of made me less inclined to go for her

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
WELP better bang as many as I can this playthrough then

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Yusuke scene during fireworks festival when those people approach him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Farg posted:

its bullshit we can't social link with lala escargot

:yeah:

Captain Baal posted:

He's bad and boring

It's kinda weird how I love basically every other character and social link, but Mishima is just real lame. I enjoy how many options you get to mess with him or insult him, but otherwise he's easily the weakest character so far.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Arist posted:

glad I committed to Makoto then

was gonna go for Futaba originally but the context of her relationship with you kind of made me less inclined to go for her
Good taste on all three accounts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I really appreciate this game's hatred of plagiarism and acknowledgement of underpaid and unappreciated teachers. Just sayin

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

You know, it is kind of hosed that the game will let you date your teacher after the whole situation with Kamoshida

I mean I'm still gonna do it though

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How are people even doing the second Palace boss on Hard? The elemental attacks are just bulldozing my team. It's pretty annoying that I'll have to bump down to Normal again.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Supremezero posted:

It's actually even more ridiculous, since in mainline they're your demons, and have no reason to stick around if you die. While in Persona, they're all your friends, and can't revive you because reasons.

While in Persona 1, and 2, if the MC dies, the rest of your party can still fight. I understand why for Persona 3 but for 4 and 5, I don't get it.

Edit: Well, dying for 1 and 2 but still.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What's so different about Persona 3?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really appreciate this game's hatred of plagiarism and acknowledgement of underpaid and unappreciated teachers. Just sayin

This game does cool and good things, even though the haze of occasionally very shoddy translation quality

On that note, while I know some people are complaining, the sequence in July with Futaba is giving me

feelings.

That's a good word, I think

-

edit: Though actually, since I'm starting to get to the point where I can think about getting a girlfriend to max rank: does P5 do anything to address my biggest bugbear of the previous games, in that once you max out a girlfriend, outside of Christmas and Valentine's there is literally no reason to interact with them at all? That always, always felt awkward as hell and I thought it would be cool if hanging out with a girlfriend could get you, say, points in social stats you're deficient in or some extra points in various S-Links that need leveling still.

I'm getting the impression that nothing was really done on that front and it bums me out.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 9, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Something like (spoiler for the over 10 years old game) releasing death and summoning nyx, and thus the apocalypse early. Not really the best explanation, but at least that's the only reason I've ever seen given for it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dan Didio posted:

It's suggested by the game that the MC dying will release a pretty bad thing out into the world. So uh yeah, him dying is pretty much a game over not just for him.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's still pretty silly, because it's not like anyone else in the party dies for real if they're knocked out in battle.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I've paused 4 times in the scene where you go into that place, and its dark, and stuff happens.

Someone called out and things are about to get super ugly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Persona 4 giving you a game-over upon MC death might be because the MC's being used as a gamepiece by a goddess who is just itching for any excuse to end the world. "Oh dear he fell unconscious for a few minutes, FOG FOR EVERYONE FOREVER."

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I just finished the 4th Palace and Futaba owns

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
aint read nothing since i p much got the game b/c afraid of any spoilers but i gotta say too many freakin best girls in this thing

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
how many playthroughs i gotta do so i aint breaking any hearts? like 9? drat

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need some help and... I'm not sure if I can actually recover from this Mementos boss

I challenged the cult leader dude Shadow Fukurai and was greeted to him turn 1 brainjacking my entire team. He then nuked the hell out of us like a bastard and each time it wore off he'd just rejack the entire team with a 100% success rate. What the gently caress am I supposed to even do in this situation?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
What does Surrounded mean, anyway? It keeps popping up in skills, but I still have no idea what it means.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Supremezero posted:

What does Surrounded mean, anyway? It keeps popping up in skills, but I still have no idea what it means.

When the enemy ambushes you

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dr Pepper posted:

When the enemy ambushes you

Oh.

Well, that's terrible.

I was thinking this Thermopylae skill might be neat, but apparently not with that being it's pre-req!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need some help and... I'm not sure if I can actually recover from this Mementos boss

I challenged the cult leader dude Shadow Fukurai and was greeted to him turn 1 brainjacking my entire team. He then nuked the hell out of us like a bastard and each time it wore off he'd just rejack the entire team with a 100% success rate. What the gently caress am I supposed to even do in this situation?

This fight is so stupid. I really have no idea what's expected.

I can protect the main character with some items I have but that doesn't protect everyone else and they just heal him for everything I do. Is there a party wide status heal for brainjack I should retreat to make or something?

This is frustrating.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Okay, what do you do about the Okumura/the executive robot's big bang attack? in the fifth palace boss fight? I've survived it once by guarding, but then I get hunger cast on me and everyone dies instantly the next time, regardless of wether I guard or heal up and cure the hunger.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Gruckles posted:

I just finished the 4th Palace and Futaba owns

gently caress i was about to make this exact post

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Two questions:
1. Do I need to clear out all available requests before Mishima comes back to hang out? I keep looking for him but after giving me his desperation he's just not showing up.
2. Can I give gifts during 'rank up' conversations or are those only for when you're doing a non-scripted hangout?

I just finished the Third Palace and am not sure what I'm focusing on yet. Temperance, Sun, Death, Moon and Ryuji and then I'll probably do Makoto I guess, maybe after hanging out with Yusuke once more just to get him Baton Pass.

Thing is that I'm not sure I even have an Empress persona lying around, and additionally, I'm not sure what my best action is on a day when Hierophant won't rank up, Sun isn't available, Temperance isn't available, and I can't find Mishima.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Two questions:
1. Do I need to clear out all available requests before Mishima comes back to hang out? I keep looking for him but after giving me his desperation he's just not showing up.
2. Can I give gifts during 'rank up' conversations or are those only for when you're doing a non-scripted hangout?

I just finished the Third Palace and am not sure what I'm focusing on yet. Temperance, Sun, Death, Moon and Ryuji and then I'll probably do Makoto I guess, maybe after hanging out with Yusuke once more just to get him Baton Pass.

Thing is that I'm not sure I even have an Empress persona lying around, and additionally, I'm not sure what my best action is on a day when Hierophant won't rank up, Sun isn't available, Temperance isn't available, and I can't find Mishima.

If you're looking for stuff to do at night start the Star social link. It gives really good abilities and Hifumi is cool. Like a day after you beat dungeon 3 you should get a text from the gang that opens up Kanda as a place to go, and you should be able to start the confidant by going there at night though you need a charm of 3 and Hifumi's not there every day.

You could also start the Devil Confidant by visiting Ohya at Crossroads again, I don't think it requires anything and it gives a big charm boost like Tora which is pretty useful.

Edit: Also, i'm pretty sure Mishima's link is gated behind certain quests he gives you. Not all of them, but a couple. And he changes his location from Shibuya to Shinjuku around dungeon 3 which may have tripped you up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Okay, what do you do about the Okumura/the executive robot's big bang attack? in the fifth palace boss fight? I've survived it once by guarding, but then I get hunger cast on me and everyone dies instantly the next time, regardless of wether I guard or heal up and cure the hunger.

Nevermind I just survived it twice where I died before and won. I don't understand why, but I'm not complaining.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I am dragging Arsene all the way to end game because he is the loving raddest starter persona ever. Good thing you can savescum in the velvet room so you can fully customize anything with the treasure demons.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

He's bad and boring

Blue Kenji yet even more boring because he's not a milflover

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
September to Oct vague character skill spoiler rant: I cannot believe the last 2 characters show up with the tier 2 single target spells and not the tier 1. They are essentially worthless thanks to the sp consumption. The slink situation is also pretty dire. One of them will be great on bosses though so there's that!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Failboattootoot posted:

September to Oct vague character skill spoiler rant: I cannot believe the last 2 characters show up with the tier 2 single target spells and not the tier 1. They are essentially worthless thanks to the sp consumption. The slink situation is also pretty dire. One of them will be great on bosses though so there's that!

Huh, do people normally... Not upgrade the damage spells? I always do that first thing, seems like an obvious thing to do and I haven't really had too many SP concerns after the first dungeon. I am playing on Normal though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I beat the bad boss. I went back and got super prepped. Went and fought it and it decided to ignore it's gimmick and just die as a huge middle finger. Haha gently caress you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

By the time they show up Tier 2 spells should not be a serious SP concern for you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the person who decided crafting should have RNG stat gain should git tae fook

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

By the time they show up Tier 2 spells should not be a serious SP concern for you.

Playstyle choice perhaps, I only really care about knocking things down for the all-out attack that will kill them regardless of which damage spell I used. More efficient sp use allows for longer dungeon forays which allows for more experience and cash etc. I like having the t2 and higher spells for boss fights where all outs aren't typically available but for getting through dungeons? Eh.

I should maybe also note that the last time I went through Mementos I went through about 25 floors so maybe I am just a crazy person.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Failboattootoot posted:

Playstyle choice perhaps, I only really care about knocking things down for the all-out attack that will kill them regardless of which damage spell I used. More efficient sp use allows for longer dungeon forays which allows for more experience and cash etc. I like having the t2 and higher spells for boss fights where all outs aren't typically available but for getting through dungeons? Eh.

I just don't see how you have room for both types. Skill slots are so incredibly limited...