Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SpannerX posted:

Simmons was the way Felicity show be on arrow always.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

"The character of Felicity Smoak on the CW show Arrow should strive always to be more like Marvel's Agents of SHIELD's Jemma Simmons."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

"The character of Felicity Smoak on the CW show Arrow should strive always to be more like Marvel's Agents of SHIELD's Jemma Simmons."

Especially that time Simmons was dead in a hole in the ground.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

But her character is to look super nerdy while wearing skin tight couture dresses all the time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Regarding Terrigen and Daisy, didn't they say the one dude that Ward punched was "secretly funneling Terrigen to Inhumans"? My guess is that will be key to Daisy leveling up in the Matrix, finding his supplier and getting in on that sweet, sweet Terrigen action.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They should have her turn out to have completely different powers if that happens. She throws her arms out to create a shockwave and, I don't know, super powerful silly string erupts from her fingernails instead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wonder if they're going to use the simulation to explain, what, exactly, Vijay's powers are.

(And that way it gives the characters a leg up on him when they encounter him again in the real world).

Also, there's a non-zero chance that Skye or another sympathetic character is going to end up in that machine. Bonus points if it's Simmons, and being tortured by Fitz is the only way she can get access to him (in order to snap him out of his false identity or whatever, nothing weird.)

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Sorry, was phone posting last night.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

Regarding Terrigen and Daisy, didn't they say the one dude that Ward punched was "secretly funneling Terrigen to Inhumans"? My guess is that will be key to Daisy leveling up in the Matrix, finding his supplier and getting in on that sweet, sweet Terrigen action.

That one dude is Vijay Nadeer, Senator Nadeer's brother, whom she killed, and dumped in the ocean, only for him to cocoon up again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

That one dude is Vijay Nadeer, Senator Nadeer's brother, whom she killed, and dumped in the ocean, only for him to cocoon up again.

Yeah I knew who it was, just couldn't remember his name because I'm probably racist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing I most enjoyed was that Simmons was having nothing to do with "good guy" Ward. She just immediately recognized that he was still a selfish, backstabbing psycho.

You and me, Jemma. We will resist the Ward rehabilitation attempt.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Phylodox posted:

Rhyno posted:

Especially that time Simmons was dead in a hole in the ground.

:perfect:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

In a recent episode of Legends of Tomorrow Felicity was a vigilante in an alternate timeline.

She broke her ankle jumping off a ledge and Damian Dahrk snapped her neck.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Kheldarn posted:

I don't remember the him cocooning again. Did I miss it?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

LongDarkNight posted:

I don't remember the him cocooning again. Did I miss it?

It was after the "we'll return in a moment" prompt in that episode. You see him sink until he hits the bottom of the lake, then he starts to cocoon.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It's fine, doesn't bother me, but hope you guys know the word cocoon does not work that way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

It's fine, doesn't bother me, but hope you guys know the word cocoon does not work that way.

As a verb? Yes, it does.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bio347 posted:

There was a clip of her in the Framework at the end of that episode, and she was very definitely not Madame Hydra.

Just in case there's any doubt, from the new Jessica Jones comic -

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Floppychop posted:

In a recent episode of Legends of Tomorrow Felicity was a vigilante in an alternate timeline.

She broke her ankle jumping off a ledge and Damian Dahrk* snapped her neck.

*Dum Dum Dugan for the MCU crowd.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Phylodox posted:

As a verb? Yes, it does.

Yeah, it's a verb, but I don't think it really applies when the cocoon itself is doing the work. So it'd be the cocoon cocooned Vijay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

She was also called Madame Hydra in the newspaper article about Radcliffe that you couldn't actually read unless you took a screen grab.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fitz also called her "Madame" at the start of the scene.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Medullah posted:

He was referring to the fact that we saw the actual woman Aida was based off of in the framework and she wasn't Madame Hydra, not that the character isn't called Madame Hydra.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We have no idea what Aida did with the human she was based on, but they really don't have anything to do with each other besides Radcliffe being a creeper and Aida being insecure. She could be chilling somewhere with Radcliffe or dead because Aida's a vindictive god. Aida's Madame Hydra is separate from her (and the clear implication was that that's real Aida monitoring the framework/living out her jollies and not just a simulated program like most of the people presumably are).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

The thing I most enjoyed was that Simmons was having nothing to do with "good guy" Ward. She just immediately recognized that he was still a selfish, backstabbing psycho.

You and me, Jemma. We will resist the Ward rehabilitation attempt.

There's no way Ward is not a triple agent in deep cover. Even if May's different events changed things, it still wouldn't change Ward's upbringing and loyalties.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

There's no way Ward is not a triple agent in deep cover. Even if May's different events changed things, it still wouldn't change Ward's upbringing and loyalties.

Except, we're not dealing with a Ward in any way based on the real Ward.

This Ward is almost positively based on season 1 Ward's act; taken from Daisy's memories back when she thought he was a real good guy and was leaning towards him romantically. Since he's created from the memories of the "good parts" of Ward, and the "painful parts" were removed by Aida, it's likely he's sincerely basically season 1 milk toast hero Ward.

ED: If the show manages to get picked up (Come on ABC, Jesus, at least the show is doing very well with critics) for another season I would be 100% good with an LMD of good guy Ward.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 9, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: If the show manages to get picked up (Come on ABC, Jesus, at least the show is doing very well with critics) for another season I would be 100% good with an LMD of good guy Ward.

I've read an interview with Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancheroen aren't planning on stopping the show this season; that they've not written a series finale, but rather a typical season finale (presumably coming complete with a cliffhanger, though I don't think they said that; I can't find the actual interview now). I'm not sure whether that decision is coming straight from Perlmutter or if it's an informed one of their part. I like to think it's because the show's had a hundred episodes (or ideally five seasons) already paid for, which might explain why the show went into early syndication back in its third season. I also think Marvel is unlikely to leave a show on a cliffhanger without a renewal, simply out of the need for brand loyalty when you've got so many new shows premiering in the next year. You don't want potential fans pissed at you when you're trying to sell them on several new things, particularly with fan loyalty cooling on Netflix Marvel. At the very least you'd want some sort of a transition (and they must realise that a big part of their audience is comprised of overseas markets and cord cutters).

Otherwise, I've got little in the way of hope here -- the ratings are a big deal, despite everything else I said.

That said, it's not clear how the potential upcoming writer's strike could affect the show, though going off past evidence, it seems likely to tip the balance in favour of a renewal while simultaneously dooming all potential upcoming pilots. But again, it's unclear.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I thought Perlmutter had been out for awhile?

And I don't know about the world cooling on Marvel movies and TV...

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Once I heard about the LMD storyline, I kind of assumed that somehow a recurring character would end up being one. It was kind of crappy to think that one of the main characters would die and become one for successive seasons. LMD Ward allows the conceit because he gets to be dead (for good reason) and then gets to be 'alive' again as a slightly different version that was redeemed in some manner.

It's probably not the best outcome but once they let the LMD genie out of the bottle, it's hard to go back.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Longbaugh01 posted:

I thought Perlmutter had been out for awhile?

And I don't know about the world cooling on Marvel movies and TV...

Perlmutter was cut out of the movies after the whole Edgar Wright Ant-Man fiasco, he still has full reign over tv shows. It's why Inhumans are still a big part of the show.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Once I heard about the LMD storyline, I kind of assumed that somehow a recurring character would end up being one. It was kind of crappy to think that one of the main characters would die and become one for successive seasons. LMD Ward allows the conceit because he gets to be dead (for good reason) and then gets to be 'alive' again as a slightly different version that was redeemed in some manner.

It's probably not the best outcome but once they let the LMD genie out of the bottle, it's hard to go back.

I'm hoping if ward does become an LMD that they handle it just like Season 2 Flash did with Harrison Wells, and have everybody constantly hating on him for things his double did.

Or a whole episode of "Mistakes were made..." "by you" "...and people got hurt" "by you": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jOz5WY6Z4c

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Ward's whole character was that he was raised to be super loyal to one person. That person WAS Garrett, who died (and is almost certainly dead in this world, too, for unfortunate reasons :smith:). He never had any kind of ideological stake in Hydra, he just followed whoever would take him. He always had a 'person.' In early Season 2, that person was Daisy, and him joining up with Hydra was partly an attempt to get her closer to her father and by result get closer to her. When he realized that would never happen, his new person became Kara (I think that was her name? Agent 13? May-face?) and he became obsessed with getting her revenge on people who wronged her, turning against Hydra and going after Bobbi. Once she died, he tried to avenge her, and did his own thing for a while, but he kinda sucked as a leader and eventually latched onto Powers Boothe as his new person, who filled his head with pseudo-religious crap and turned him into a Hive-worshipper. Then Coulson caved his chest in.

The only thing that's changed in this world is that Skye/Daisy is now Ward's 'person' and Hydra Skye didn't reject him violently via gunshots to the back. So he's loyal to her. He has no ideological stake in the Resistance or Hydra-- he has no ideology at all basically. He's still the same character, still the same hollowed out loser waiting for someone to fill him up. He just has a different person filling him now. :downs:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ward even comments to Raina in S1 after the betrayal but before the team finds out that he can pretty much be anybody to anyone

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Medullah posted:

Did they tint her eyes green for this? I don't remember them being green in the show.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

I also think Marvel is unlikely to leave a show on a cliffhanger without a renewal, simply out of the need for brand loyalty when you've got so many new shows premiering in the next year. You don't want potential fans pissed at you when you're trying to sell them on several new things, particularly with fan loyalty cooling on Netflix Marvel. At the very least you'd want some sort of a transition (and they must realise that a big part of their audience is comprised of overseas markets and cord cutters).

I hope you're right, but Peggy Carter might disagree.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Yakmouth posted:

I hope you're right, but Peggy Carter might disagree.

Agent Carter was in an odd place: the streaming rights for the show were such that it had limited availability overseas (maybe only Netflix UK) and never on Netflix. The only way to watch was to watch it live or watch the last 5 episodes on Hulu. Beyond that, the show might as well not exist.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

kayakyakr posted:

Agent Carter was in an odd place: the streaming rights for the show were such that it had limited availability overseas (maybe only Netflix UK) and never on Netflix. The only way to watch was to watch it live or watch the last 5 episodes on Hulu. Beyond that, the show might as well not exist.

Season 1 is available on DVD now (i believe), but I think I'm missing your overall point. I was just pointing out that ABC isn't entirely unwilling to let a Marvel show die unresolved if the ratings are poor. That it had bad overseas distribution seems orthogonal to that.

Is AoS available on Netflix in some countries? It isn't in Canada... I've only ever watched the show live.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yakmouth posted:

Is AoS available on Netflix in some countries? It isn't in Canada... I've only ever watched the show live.

AOS is on Netflix in the US. Like most broadcast network shows on Netflix, the old season gets posted a few weeks before a new season launches.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

notthegoatseguy posted:

AOS is on Netflix in the US. Like most broadcast network shows on Netflix, the old season gets posted a few weeks before a new season launches.

Lucky bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So I just hate Ward (I mean, I loved to hate Ward, but I hate him) and will never accept any kind of "good guy" Ward. I'll be the rear end in a top hat constantly fighting against the thread tide because drat that crazy, psycho, evil fucker just because NOW his crazy, psycho obsession is Daisy/Skye.

But I don't really get why anyone would want "Good Guy Ward" as a LMD since that's the guy who sucked and the one everyone likes is "Crazy Villain Ward." If a LMD Ward escaped and then went evil (because that is his true nature) over rejection by Daisy or something that I'd accept even if I'd still curse his name. But a "good" Ward in SHIELD? Icky and boring.

• Locked thread