Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
MGS2 also. And of course, the stealth suit is basically the Major's thermoptic camouflage​. It's in both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I also remember an interview with some Japanese movie set designer on a scifi movie set some time in the future and he talked about deliberately changing most of the signs to Chinese so there was a subtle sense that the language had evolved and changed but I can't remember which film that was.

Also Firefly/Serenity, background signs a mix of English and Chinese and the occasional Chinese swear word tossed in.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gibson's Neuromancer was set in Japan but the first US hardcover edition had Chinese street signs in the cover art:

I have never seen that book cover before, and I feel that I have been deprived.
That is possibly the most perfect cover for the story.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FuturePastNow posted:

Also Firefly/Serenity, background signs a mix of English and Chinese and the occasional Chinese swear word tossed in.

There's a bunch of sites that say that this graffiti in Blade Runner says "Americans are bad people" and "The future belongs to the Chinese"

... but apparently that's not correct and the words are just meaningless gibberish. Dang.

Schwarzwald posted:

I have never seen that book cover before, and I feel that I have been deprived.
That is possibly the most perfect cover for the story.

Here's the full wraparound art:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's definitely the version that Julia Stiles read on Ghost Writer.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

There's a bunch of sites that say that this graffiti in Blade Runner says "Americans are bad people" and "The future belongs to the Chinese"

... but apparently that's not correct and the words are just meaningless gibberish. Dang.

Kind of like that Chinese tattoo urban legend, except now instead of actually making fun of complacent white people, it's fans who desperately want to believe the filmmakers weren't complacent white people.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

Kind of like that Chinese tattoo urban legend, except now instead of actually making fun of complacent white people, it's fans who desperately want to believe the filmmakers weren't complacent white people.

I think the implication was that the filmmakers were complacent white people who hired some Chinese guys to paint hanzi all over their set and weren't aware of what they actually wrote, but it turns out they were just complacent white people who got an intern to look up a bunch of Chinese symbols and paint them everywhere in random order.

And they sure went to town:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think the implication was that the filmmakers were complacent white people who hired some Chinese guys to paint hanzi all over their set and weren't aware of what they actually wrote

I dunno. Seems to me that graffiti talking poo poo about America in Chinese would be perfectly appropriate for a dystopian future background. If that actually is what the graffiti says, I'd assume it's what the filmmakers wanted, unless they say otherwise.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If I want subversive graffiti in another language spray-painted on walls in the background, I'll just watch Homeland.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

If I want subversive graffiti in another language spray-painted on walls in the background, I'll just walk around my neighborhood.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I could almost see it saying 美国人不好, which means "Americans are bad" but its not really in a straight line nor is it the obvious order of characters, and the characters themselves are kinda blurry.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snak posted:

MGS2 also. And of course, the stealth suit is basically the Major's thermoptic camouflage​. It's in both games.

You forgot Tactical Old Man rear end Metal Gear Solid 4...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mantis42 posted:

I could almost see it saying 美国人不好, which means "Americans are bad" but its not really in a straight line nor is it the obvious order of characters, and the characters themselves are kinda blurry.

The only possible bu is down in the bottom left, looks like gibberish to me, definitely nonsense left to right but that left column is hard to read for up down.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Here's the full wraparound art:

I'm like, 90% certain that's Emilio esteves used as a reference.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, somebody at Forbes did a decent article The Live-Action 'Ghost In The Shell' Movie Failed Because It Did Not Understand Its Source Material. A choice quote from the article that I want to talk about.

quote:

The latter point is also something I want to highlight and that is if you buy an intellectual property like Ghost in the Shell, then you need to appease its fans first as they will evangelize the film once it is released.

With that in mind, here is a recent interview at CBC with Kyle Davies from Paramount, where he says the following:

quote:

You've got a movie that is very important to the fanboys since it's based on a Japanese anime movie. So you're always trying to thread that needle between honouring the source material and make a movie for a mass audience. That's challenging, but clearly the reviews didn't help.

There’s a lot to unpick in that single quote but there are two main things that stand out here as being obvious issues.

The first is that Ghost in the Shell started out as a manga and not an anime movie. The second is that demeaning fanboys indicates an obvious cultural problem in Hollywood currently.

The reason why most movie adaptations tend to be awful is often because the people that understand the source material are regarded as social outcasts within places like Hollywood. That means their expertise is dismissed.

While that sounds like the biggest loving nitpick, it has some truth. The source material is not concerned, but the anime film's visual language is what's copied. I'm not sure if I've ever broken it down, but the key scenes that are in the Oshii film were reinterpretations of incidents in the manga: Motoko's fight with the garbage man doesn't happen in a reservoir, it happens right in the marketplace, the hacker uses a "hypno-voice" to cause the crowd to attack the Major and he gets the drop on her when Togusa shoots and incapacitates him. The tank scene is like two similar scenes from two different GITS manga:

The thing is that Oshii read the manga, and reinterpreted these elements into a his own rendition. In the new film, his rendition is used as if it's sacrosanct.

I had some flashback to Spike Lee's Old Boy remake and them claiming that it was an adaptation of the original manga and it turns out it's an almost shot-for-shot remake of the Korean film and what Lee did add was offensively extraneous. I'm wondering if Lee, Sanders, etc thought this was an easy job, just rip off the original film with English-speaking actors and put your name on it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Young Freud posted:

The thing is that Oshii read the manga, and reinterpreted these elements into a his own rendition. In the new film, his rendition is used as if it's sacrosanct.

I had some flashback to Spike Lee's Old Boy remake and them claiming that it was an adaptation of the original manga and it turns out it's an almost shot-for-shot remake of the Korean film and what Lee did add was offensively extraneous. I'm wondering if Lee, Sanders, etc thought this was an easy job, just rip off the original film with English-speaking actors and put your name on it.

...but ripping off the original manga with English-speaking actors would be somehow different?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the 95 film is way better than the Manga. "Most original" doesn't mean best.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They draw poo poo from Shirow's manga as well, they were very aware of it. They clearly just preferred Oshii's movie and thus drew more from it (Because it's a billion times better.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So Hulu has Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex , Ghost in the Shell 2.0, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Laughing Man. Which of these are really good? I watched 5 minutes of 2.0 and turned it off though cause that poo poo was atrocious CGI.

edit : Actually it looks like they have all of them. Which do I start with I saw Ghost in the Shell Anime rather recently.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 9, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hollismason posted:

So Hulu has Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex , Ghost in the Shell 2.0, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Laughing Man. Which of these are really good? I watched 5 minutes of 2.0 and turned it off though cause that poo poo was atrocious CGI.

2.0 is a lovely "special edition" of GitS95. Same movie but with pointless dated CG inserted and some dumb sound effect remixes.

You want to watch the original GitS, and then depending on time either SAC or The Laughing Man (the first is a tv series, the second is the same series condensed into a film). Ignore 2.0, track down Innocence later if you like GitS95.

Edit: To clarify, The Laughing Man is a condensed version of the first season of SAC. The second season is called SAC 2nd Gig, and also has a condensed version. I think it was called Solid State Society?

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 9, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah there are 5 "movies" on there Ghost in the Shell 25th anniversary (WTF 25 years), 2.0, Solid State Society , The Laughing Man, Individual 11.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

2.0 is a lovely "special edition" of GitS95. Same movie but with pointless dated CG inserted and some dumb sound effect remixes.

You want to watch the original GitS, and then depending on time either SAC or The Laughing Man (the first is a tv series, the second is the same series condensed into a film). Ignore 2.0, track down Innocence later if you like GitS95.

Edit: To clarify, The Laughing Man is a condensed version of the first season of SAC. The second season is called SAC 2nd Gig, and also has a condensed version. I think it was called Solid State Society?

Individual 11 is the 2nd Gig compilation. Solid State Society comes after both seasons of SAC.
https://i.imgur.com/QiY1SCP.jpg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait they also have the entire Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex Series. Are these the same thing? The series is like 52 episodes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
myotd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbAP6IGBax0

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Wait they also have the entire Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex Series. Are these the same thing? The series is like 52 episodes.

Each season of SAC is 26 episodes so that should be it. The compilation movies don't add anything so you can skip them if you choose to watch the series. Solid State Society only exists as a movie. And it had been 25 years since the compilation manga came out when the 25th anniversary edition was released.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I thought the side episodes were entertaining, so I recommend watching the entire SAC series. It's so good I'd even recommend it over the 95 film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Young Freud posted:

Except we've already established that Sanders did not merely copy the 1995 film, and we have what's really an entirely different narrative.

Every scene 'copied' from the 1995 film is altered to have the opposite effect. The diving scene stands for safety instead of risk, the tank represents Mira's future incarnation instead of her present, she rejects Singularity bullshit instead of embracing it, etc. You can go on like this. The first scene of the 1995 film is the last scene of this one.

Consequently, the chief complaint is that the movie wasn't just more of the same.

Even the basic message is inverted. Where 1995's Major was designed to be completely average, and becomes desperate for escape; Mira is designed to be a hated outsider, but finds a place in society ('I don't want to leave this world').

These are much larger changes than just condensing a longer narrative.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Steve Yun posted:

I thought the side episodes were entertaining, so I recommend watching the entire SAC series. It's so good I'd even recommend it over the 95 film.

Me too. SAC is really, really good.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:agreed:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't really recommend the compilation movies, because the timeline feels all awkward. The stories unfold over the course of a season, so the compilation movies are editing together scenes that happen days or weeks apart in some cases and it really jacks up the sense of what's going on. Plus it's not like they an easily digestible size of films, they're still like 3 fuckin hours long.

Solid State Society is instead of a thirds season and comes after 2nd Gig.

SAC is my favorite GitS, but it's got a bit of a rough start and there a few dud episodes. Overall I highly recommend it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The title cards in SAC have either STAND ALONE or COMPLEX as a supertitle. I think they're also color-coded blue and green.

The Laughing Man stuff is in the Complex episodes. It's the slow burn that deals with CyberbrainSclerosis, The Laughing Man as a Hacker/incident/social movement, and a few other things.
One-off stories which don't really have an over-arching plot are your Stand Alone episodes.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I think season 2 did that stuff a lot better, though. Most of the "filler" episodes still had something to do with the main plot one way or another (and if not, they were usually character stuff).

I need to watch Solid State Society at some point.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Season 2 is superior just for getting rid of that awful costume the major wears in Season 1. Really out of place when everyone else is dressed like a normal person. The black solid snake style suit is much cooler.

Don't get me started on the boob army lady from Arise...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The "standalone" vs "complex" episode in SAC distinction should NOT be seen as a guide to which episodes you can skip. Part of the gimmick of the title and theme is that even the individual parts are essential to the whole.

Escape From is labelled a standalone episode, but it develops the characters of the Tachikomas, and you get to see as one gains sentience it starts exercising self-determination by breaking rules and running away. Machine Desirants is also labelled a standalone episode, but in it the Tachikomas are debating the nature of God and pondering what the experience of death is like. When the climactic episode comes, the repercussions of a robot being able to disobey rules and understanding the full meaning of death are critical to the finale's impact.

In the second season, the Taxi Driver homage episode is labelled as a standalone episode, but it gives a lot more weight to the villain's scheme. The bad guy is a government agent who is attempting to radicalize refugees by making their lives terrible in Japan. He hopes that he can drive the refugees to crime and terrorism, turning public opinion against the refugees and helping usher in his nationalistic/militaristic political agenda (a plot uncomfortably resembling real life). This scheme feels more real when you follow one refugee's life for a whole episode.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah, why would you NOT watch every episode of SAC? There aren't that many, and the show's great. The only anime I can watch dubbed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

In the second season, the Taxi Driver homage episode is labelled as a standalone episode, but it gives a lot more weight to the villain's scheme. The bad guy is a government agent who is attempting to radicalize refugees by making their lives terrible in Japan. He hopes that he can drive the refugees to crime and terrorism, turning public opinion against the refugees and helping usher in his nationalistic/militaristic political agenda (a plot uncomfortably resembling real life). This scheme feels more real when you follow one refugee's life for a whole episode.

This is where I come in and say that most of the refugees come from "the Peninsula" or "the Mainland", which are euphemisms for Korea and China, two countries where immigrants to Japan have historically been mistreated. And it's not like being an American where they turn you away from most places, Japanese folks have almost genocided them in the past for the flimsiest of excuses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
From my last watch through, I remember exactly one lovely episode. That episodes is s2e18 "DI: Angel's Poem – TRANS PARENT". (It's not about trans people). It's really boring. Especially for how late in the season it comes. It feels like complete filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snak posted:

From my last watch through, I remember exactly one lovely episode. That episodes is s2e18 "DI: Angel's Poem – TRANS PARENT". (It's not about trans people). It's really boring. Especially for how late in the season it comes. It feels like complete filler.

Yeah, like literally "Transparent Parent". I think "Ghost Dad" was already taken. That girl's dad who is a wanted criminal, visits her in thermoptic camo while Batou watches, also in thermoptic camo, in the lamest homage to Wings Of Desire.

• Locked thread