Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

White Rabbit posted:

Ok! I dont own the game and I've never played a Persona / SMT game ever. Barely ever touched the FF series either. Still I'm very interested in any game that gathers such great opinions so I'm just about to give P5 a try.

So I'm not a JRPG enthusiast but I do like me a HARD game, love skill walls in Souls games, love roguelikes. I dont expect perma-death in P5 but tell me, is the game difficult or is it more of a grind through story/dungeons/fights at a steady pace? Is there a game over screen and how often do you see it? is the difficulty based on skill and knowledge of how the game works or min-maxing stats based on player guides?

Basically I understand this is story driven but will I find an honest challenge in it?

cheers

I'm playing on Hard and I would say go for that if you really want a "HARD" game. There's no stat min-maxing or anything, just expect a lot of moments where half your party is dead and you end up sitting in the battle menu for three minutes scrolling through every available option trying to squeeze out a victory. The game does give you a ton of tools and gameplay aspects to get out of bad situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bardeh posted:

I can see gifts in shops but I've never gotten a tutorial about using them so I assumed they were gated or something. But I've just finished the 3rd palace and still haven't gotten any indication that I can use them yet. Are they only for later ranks in slinks or should I buy some now?

You can use em during non-progress S.Links for some a couple characters. Like when you're just hanging out without a scene, but do have some dialog. I'm pretty sure I've only been able to gift to chicks but that may be a coincidence?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

"super salty" thanks localization team. Someone knows their audience.
Japanese Futaba has a running gag that's a reference to some anime nerd meme that doesn't work in English, and I'm very excited to see how the hell they got themselves out of that one.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

White Rabbit posted:

Ok! I dont own the game and I've never played a Persona / SMT game ever. Barely ever touched the FF series either. Still I'm very interested in any game that gathers such great opinions so I'm just about to give P5 a try.

So I'm not a JRPG enthusiast but I do like me a HARD game, love skill walls in Souls games, love roguelikes. I dont expect perma-death in P5 but tell me, is the game difficult or is it more of a grind through story/dungeons/fights at a steady pace? Is there a game over screen and how often do you see it? is the difficulty based on skill and knowledge of how the game works or min-maxing stats based on player guides?

Basically I understand this is story driven but will I find an honest challenge in it?

cheers

There's definitely scope for skill to make the game easier, but it's more along the lines of experimentation with the Personas and their various skills and enemy weaknesses than any real mechanical skill. Grinding is possible and will make the game easier, but it can feel like some deaths are just RNG bullshit when you miss an important attack and then the enemy crits you/hits your Personas weakness for a free attack and then wrecks you with no possible recourse. It's rare that stuff like this will lead to a game over, but it does happen.

The game is also extremely story/cutscene heavy, and while there is plenty of dungeon-delving action, its split up sometimes by an hour+ of talking that is barely interactive. I don't say this because I dislike it, don't get me wrong. This is my first persona game and I'm absolutely loving it, but the examples you gave in your post led me to think that it might be a dealbreaker for you.

Having said all that, I would probably recommend this game to anyone because the more you play it the more you realize the absolutely ridiculous amount of talent and hard work that has gone into it, and I've never played anything quite like it.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 9, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hyphz posted:

The thing where the whole party dies if Joker dies, even if you have Revive items in inventory, is straight up rear end. It makes the enemy's apparently-random target selection become critical to party survival.

Also, for the first palace, has the plot been changed/censored from the Japanese? It's bizarre that the latter half of the dungeon is overtly sexual (as in "FFS I'm fighting a severed penis head that's called Torn King of Desire") but in fact there's no suggestion Shiho was raped - just beaten up - and the coach's final confession had nothing to do with sexual mistreatment.
Uh, did you miss the part where he explicitly says he sexually abused girls in his confession?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
so is there a place to get homunculi? I'm starting up the fourth dungeon and have heard some things about it...

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

The thing where the whole party dies if Joker dies, even if you have Revive items in inventory, is straight up rear end. It makes the enemy's apparently-random target selection become critical to party survival.

Also, for the first palace, has the plot been changed/censored from the Japanese? It's bizarre that the latter half of the dungeon is overtly sexual (as in "FFS I'm fighting a severed penis head that's called Torn King of Desire") but in fact there's no suggestion Shiho was raped - just beaten up - and the coach's final confession had nothing to do with sexual mistreatment.

The fact that he's been sexually harassing the girls is repeated again and again, so I'm not quite sure where you're coming from with this. It's deliberately ambiguous as to whether Shiho was actually raped or not, but by the point she attempts suicide the nitty gritty of his individual crimes aren't the point. He's a predator who's been preying on young girls with an obviously sexually motive.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm coming up on my first romance option, and so far the result of going full P4 harem style appears to be:
* You get an extra scene
* You miss an item that lets you rank up a single girl faster in NG+

Am I wrong on this? Is there any further reason to not go for full scumbag glory?

Endorph posted:

Uh, did you miss the part where he explicitly says he sexually abused girls in his confession?

Granted I may not be remembering correctly, but I heard "harassed". That wording matches up with what the other characters are saying. Give it another week and I'm pretty sure he'd be confessing to both, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not like the specifics of whether she was or not is the deal breaker between making that dude a piece of poo poo or a decent fella. It doesn't need spelling out.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Even if he didn't rape Shiho, he DID also confess very explicitly to attempting to rape Ann, which then gets repeated about a half-dozen times, so you really have to not be paying attention to miss that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

o you not know what sexually harassed means

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How is this not clear

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 10, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that Ryuji was real hesitant to kill Kamoshida which like, yeah fair I guess, but the second Shiho tries to kill herself and he get Ann's side of the story, it just all goes full Ivan Drogo "If He Dies.....He Dies"

Also I'm still only in May but Ann just standing there with Carmen appearing behind her to just incinerate Shadow Kamoshida is the hypest poo poo

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I wish I had realized sooner that finishing encounters with talking gives less exp than using the all out attack. I was wondering why my level wasn't going up much when fighting groups of enemies.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Uh, spoilers?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

maybe I'm misremembering how Persona 4 was but I'm only into late May and all anyone texts me about is the loving Palace every god dang day. Was it this was in the previous game where you couldn't really do stuff with the rest of your buddies until a bit later? I don't think I've had the opportunity to do a single social link with Ann even once.

Also Yosuke > Yusuke what a loving weirdo

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Negotiation gives you the EXP for that demon and nothing else. If you kill everything except one and then negotiate, you get the full EXP and only miss out on the yen and drop attempt of the last one, which doesn't matter that much in practice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

maybe I'm misremembering how Persona 4 was but I'm only into late May and all anyone texts me about is the loving Palace every god dang day. Was it this was in the previous game where you couldn't really do stuff with the rest of your buddies until a bit later? I don't think I've had the opportunity to do a single social link with Ann even once.

you can hang out with people even when they're texting you about the palace, a lot of the time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MinibarMatchman posted:

You don't need people to text you to go hang out with them, but also I get texts from Ryuji and Ann like every dang day to do stuff. Like one time Ryuji texted after I went to sleep to do something. Ann in particular needs Rank 2 Kindness I think to start so that might be what's holding you up there

Also Tae texts me all the time in class and it feels inappropriate, please stop ma'am

e: also I thought the Yusuke thing would be so much worse given the way people were talking about it, but was relieved it was just Yusuke being a weird art dude cause he's lived in this lovely artist hovel with a lovely artist man for fourteen years

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wanna say they were called blazers because they were made out of hemp, but I don't want to miss out on that knowledge boost.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Moltrey posted:

You don't need people to text you to go hang out with them, but also I get texts from Ryuji and Ann like every dang day to do stuff. Like one time Ryuji texted after I went to sleep to do something. Ann in particular needs Rank 2 Kindness I think to start so that might be what's holding you up there

Also Tae texts me all the time in class and it feels inappropriate, please stop ma'am

Where does everyone stay, I don't see them on the map. I think Ryuji is in a school hall but I've never seen Ann anywhere.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ryuji's by the stairs just outside your classroom, yeah. Ann's in the Underground Mall at Shibuya; just quick travel there and she's right in front of you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

Where does everyone stay, I don't see them on the map. I think Ryuji is in a school hall but I've never seen Ann anywhere.

the op has good information

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Ann's either in class with you or she's in the Shibuya Underground Mall, checking out one of the stores.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

I've read that if you haven't actually finished the palace yet, your team members may be less likely to show as available to hang out. I believe it was similar for P4 if someone was trapped in the TV, people would potentially not be available on scheduled days.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part of me honestly misses the Persona 3 "Oh sorry, can't go to Tartarus today because I got a test tomorrow or I'm sick or w/e" like it was super dumb actually, but I like the idea that idk Akihiko's got stuff going on outside of just climbing a tower with me

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wanna say they were called blazers because they were made out of hemp, but I don't want to miss out on that knowledge boost.
420 wear a uniform every day

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

g0lbez posted:

I'm playing on Hard and I would say go for that if you really want a "HARD" game. There's no stat min-maxing or anything, just expect a lot of moments where half your party is dead and you end up sitting in the battle menu for three minutes scrolling through every available option trying to squeeze out a victory. The game does give you a ton of tools and gameplay aspects to get out of bad situations

To be fair, this has mostly been my experience on normal too. Like all SMT games, every battle has the capacity to utterly gently caress you if you get a stroke of bad luck, and boss fights get very punishing if you bring in the wrong party member. I'm thinking of the fourth Palace boss specifically on that one.

EDIT: Of the 3 "new age" Persona games, I'd wager to say that 5 has thus far been the hardest. P4 gets pretty manageable once you clear the castle, and by the time you beat the Bathhouse you've unlocked a good amount of S-links, Personas and skills to be able to address much of the game's challenges up to and through the final dungeon, where the difficulty spikes a little bit in anticipation of the final boss. The big bosses also remained pretty hard.

P3 is really loving hard at times, but it's hard to rank it fairly because a lot of its difficulty came initially from the fact you can't control your party members. The PSP version's direct control makes some bosses way too easy, but they also compensated for this by adding a poo poo ton of bonus bosses that are really high level.

Come to think of it, as well, the Answer is probably the hardest Persona content we've gotten.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 9, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

idk Akihiko's got stuff going on outside of just climbing a tower with me

maybe not, tbh

also looking back at this, just look at the progress made on the UI front. god-drat.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I see Akihiko has yet to grasp the real question to be asked.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
7th Palace: A hearty lmao at Akechi asking Makoto what could possibly have driven Sae to become this way and then when Makoto explains it and reveals a bunch of personal information he just goes, eh, not really the time to be getting sentimental and moves on.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shinjiro is best Persona 3 boy

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Someone told me they have a Rise poster in their room and I need to know how to get ASAP

All I have for room decorations is a fake bowl of ramen Ryuji gave me....

Josuke Higashikata posted:

maybe not, tbh

also looking back at this, just look at the progress made on the UI front. god-drat.
god that textbox is so.....so just absolutely nothing

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i just realised i failed to romance takemi because i made the wrong dialogue option....three hours ago

:psyboom:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Moltrey posted:

Someone told me they have a Rise poster in their room and I need to know how to get ASAP
Raise social link with Ann and go to Shinjuku iirc

It's fun when you clutter your room up with gifts from friends and the Phantom Thieves are having a serious mission while you have a chocolate fountain spouting off in the corner

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Moltrey posted:

Is that the poster of the schoolgirl looking all pensive? Ann gives it to you if you go with her when she invites you for a day out at some point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I gotta appreciate how many opportunities they give you to poo poo on Yuuki.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harlock posted:

Raise social link with Ann and go to Shinjuku iirc

It's fun when you clutter your room up with gifts from friends and the Phantom Thieves are having a serious mission while you have a chocolate fountain spouting off in the corner

Dan Didio posted:

Is that the poster of the schoolgirl looking all pensive? Ann gives it to you if you go with her when she invites you for a day out at some point.
Ah rad, I'm like Rank 5 with Ann.

Apparently you can get like Jack Frost dolls at the arcade but I aint wasting time at the arcade to MAYBE get a Jack Frost doll

Harlock posted:

have a chocolate fountain spouting off in the corner
wait what

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Moltrey posted:

wait what

That's another Ann one, if you take her back to the place where you had the big buffet to celebrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
jesus christ ann

"hey for being cool friends with me, i got you this idol poster and an actual chocolate fountain"