Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're below the ATK soft cap (700), an element boost is worth about 40 ATK, and 170 ATK above it. And it doesn't matter where the stats come from.

I thought it was a 10% increase in ATK is worth an elemental boost, until you hit the soft cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

Don't be afraid to wait till the last minute or so to do it either. If you already haven't. The more you learn might change your mind about which one. You don't need to worry about who you've unlocked because they hand out the stuff to unlock them like halloween candy.

Guess it's time then to actually start looking into poo poo a bit more to figure out what characters/abilities I actually want to use.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

U-DO Burger posted:

You're not going to get much sympathy from older players. Back in the day damage and action taken medals were so bad that you would often have to quit the app to restart a battle with trash because, before you even got a turn, one of them used an AoE move that hit your party for like 700, and that was enough to lose both damage medals and cost you mastery. Realm dungeons were insanely tough to complete

The EX bosses in events could do big gently caress you attacks in the first round as well. Remeber the joys of restarting a fight dozens of times until you got mitigation up and everyone was still alive? :shepicide:

Combo posted:

Also once you start getting some decent hones in aoe abilities (blade blitz, ruinga) trash gets easy again.

I never made Bladeblitz. :smuggo:

As soon as Lifesiphon was added I made 4 of them at r4 and used that to clear trash. My 4 attackers would always have 2-3 SB uses for the bosses and said boss fights ended in a hurry. I never took on the Lunasaurs and other elite subterranean fights until after Shout came out and they all died in 1-2 rounds.

Roland Jones posted:

Thanks. And, given the above edit to my post, would a +element from armor stack with one from a weapon?

They do. I use saintly excalibur and the white mage robe(iii) for exactly this reason. Without realm synergy I have over 510atk with Orlandu and two holy boosts. Saint's Cross puts the hurt on things. As does his OSB and BSB.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

They do. I use saintly excalibur and the white mage robe(iii) for exactly this reason. Without realm synergy I have over 510atk with Orlandu and two holy boosts. Saint's Cross puts the hurt on things. As does his OSB and BSB.

Great to hear. I guess Beatrix and Orlandeau are never unequipping those shields then, unless I happen to get other armor SBs for them. Then probably equipping the shields again unless those things also have +Holy and better stats.

I wonder who my third person to have their cap raised to 99 should be. Beatrix and Orlandeau are both given, but I have one more MCIII. Eiko seems like the most obvious option, since a healer with a BSB is always useful and it'll help her get marginally less fragile, but Tyro's a possibility too. Or Cloud since I also have his OSB I guess, but, eh.

Anyway, man, the IX event was really easy. Only thing that gave me any trouble was the very last bit, and that still only took like two restarts due to mitigation the first time and Eiko getting silenced early the second. Unless I want to give the U+ another go with only IX characters (tempting; I can swap in Quina and Steiner and bring back Zidane and have a pretty solid party to try to get those Holy orbs, albeit one without an OSB to OHKO Mistodons with), I'm done with that now.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

The trash waves get a lot more manageable with shell and protect. I have Memory of a Prayer on top for a regen as well.

Yeah, White Mage RM2 and FuSoYa RM2 are both perfect for harder elite dungeons, since they mean you can keep a proshellga up throughout the entire thing without any need to hone the skills up.

As a bonus, you get White Mage RM2 by just keeping White Mage alive through Burmecia Elite, which should be pretty easy compared to the stuff you're tackling now. (FuSoYa's is a random drop, sadly, and I think it might be realm-specific too, but since it's FF4 that means you can just churn Mist Cave until it drops, which is the best way anyway for grinding RM drops)

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I am using the petrify trick for farming exp/orbs in the fest events and it's getting really frusterating. I have the four 20% EXP RM's and using four characters, I feel like I should be getting at least one to proc about 60% of the time.

I have gotten two procs over the course of the last two days worth of mythril.

RNG is loving awful.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 9, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, White Mage RM2 and FuSoYa RM2 are both perfect for harder elite dungeons, since they mean you can keep a proshellga up throughout the entire thing without any need to hone the skills up.

As a bonus, you get White Mage RM2 by just keeping White Mage alive through Burmecia Elite, which should be pretty easy compared to the stuff you're tackling now. (FuSoYa's is a random drop, sadly, and I think it might be realm-specific too, but since it's FF4 that means you can just churn Mist Cave until it drops, which is the best way anyway for grinding RM drops)

I tend to prefer the second stage of events since they don't drop junky 1-star trash items that you have to go sell every once in a while.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I tend to prefer the second stage of events since they don't drop junky 1-star trash items that you have to go sell every once in a while.

I've gotten trashy 1-star items from events. :confused: Or are you saying "use the 3 stamina one instead of the 2"? If so, I might need to try that some time.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Tried a last ditch effort pull for Beatrix's Shield (for the Holy boost) and Quina's relics.

Can't even be mad with 3/11, no dupes, and mostly 4* items :toot:. I wanted an Imperil Dark so Kuja's BSB is great, and an Enwind for Freya works well when she can Wrath spam and I have her BSB. I'm mostly excited about Beatrix OSB for the MND stats and how it makes having both Beatrix and Agrias BSBs more relevant.

Sorry Quina, it wasn't meant to be. I have every item on the banner now but Beatrix's Shield and Quina's relics. Edit: Now back to Cloud USB/fest saving and saving for the Steiner/Vivi banner.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 9, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

I've gotten trashy 1-star items from events. :confused: Or are you saying "use the 3 stamina one instead of the 2"? If so, I might need to try that some time.

Yeah, the second stage. Just costs a mite more stamina.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

U-DO Burger posted:

You should get Ramza because Shout is insanely good.

3 and 4 star items aren't trash until you get at least five 5* weapons and armor for every realm. Remember, all equipment gets a stat boost when you're in its corresponding realm. I've got twice combined 4* FFV axes that are stronger than anything else I've got when I'm doing FFV levels

I think that "keep 3* stuff until you get all realm 5*" philosophy is out of date. Off realm stuff is getting really power creeped. No 3* mage weapon, even Reforged, would match that blood sword in any realm.

Pander fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 9, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

3* stuff yeah, 4* stuff fully combined with synergy seems to break about dead even with 5* stuff with no synergy so if you've got the time and patience to do that it could be worthwhile but :shrug:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Pander posted:

I think that "keep 3* stuff until you get all realm 5*" philosophy is out of date. Off realm stuff is getting really power creeped. No 3* mage weapon, even Reforged, would match that blog sword in any realm.

True for new players, but somewhat ironically not for more established players. 3 and 4 star relics with +element on them for certain elements are actually quite valuable. For example, the 3 star Poison Rod is one of two items in the entire game, including everything up to Japan's current event, which has all-realms +bio on it, and you can certainly reach the magic cap with Quistis without needing a strong weapon. Other examples are the 3 star Icebrand, 4 star Trident, 3 star Ice Rod, 3 star Flame Rod, 3 star Storm Spear, and 3 star Flametongue.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cowcaster posted:

3* stuff yeah, 4* stuff fully combined with synergy seems to break about dead even with 5* stuff with no synergy so if you've got the time and patience to do that it could be worthwhile but :shrug:

Many 4* star, especially like the Crystal Helm VI absolutely hold their own when combined and ideally reforged. 10-gallon hat in VIII, that axe in V, plenty of worthwhile items. And yeah, 3* with +element are worth at least consideration.

But just on an ATK/MAG/DEF/RES basis, 3* stuff, no matter how combined, isn't worth inventory slots after you've got a reasonable stable of 5* weapons and armor.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Zurai posted:

True for new players, but somewhat ironically not for more established players. 3 and 4 star relics with +element on them for certain elements are actually quite valuable. For example, the 3 star Poison Rod is one of two items in the entire game, including everything up to Japan's current event, which has all-realms +bio on it, and you can certainly reach the magic cap with Quistis without needing a strong weapon. Other examples are the 3 star Icebrand, 4 star Trident, 3 star Ice Rod, 3 star Flame Rod, 3 star Storm Spear, and 3 star Flametongue.

Definitely for physical weapons, but it's a little more iffy for Mages from the higher cap and running straight into the buff softcap.

I was doing the math for Maria and the Gaia Rod, and she reaches under the MAG softcap when she hits the buff softcap with the 3+++ Gaia Rod and the FFV Gaia Gear. It helps if your armor also gives ATK/MAG (which for Maria means pulling for Rinoa's Model), and if you can spare your Accessory slot for just MAG, which is risky with status effects and piercing attacks.

That said, this is pre-Legend Dives and I only have one SSB+ for Maria, so I might recheck the math when I'm actually at home. Elements other then Earth, Poison and Ice have other options for equipment too.

(Edit: The Quistis option works because she can get good MAG on her armor as there are no Poison-boosting armors to replace it with in the first place.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Eh. You need 416 magic to hit the magic soft cap with buffs totaling to just over the buff soft cap. If you can get even to 400 equipped magic with the 3 star+++ weapon, it's going to be better than anything except maybe a synergy 6 star rod. 400 gets you to 1015 adjusted magic with 3 30% buffs and Burst Mode. A legend dive, synergy magic armor, synergy magic accessory, and having a lot of SSB+ relics for the character all contribute. I can get Raines to 372 with a Poison Rod+++ in a no-synergy situation, and I only have his BSB.

I listed the Flame Rod specifically because Terra, unfortunately, can't use staves, so she's cut off from some of the +fire mage weapons (like Vivi's BSB). +Fire swords are also quite rare; there's one generic 5 star Flametongue, two 6 star weapons Global doesn't have yet, and then the 3 star Flametongue. Physical all-realm +fire weapons in general are actually not that common; in addition to those I just listed, there are two daggers, one spear, and four fists (one of which, Rubicante's SSB, is a magic-primary weapon)

Zurai fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 9, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The EX bosses in events could do big gently caress you attacks in the first round as well. Remeber the joys of restarting a fight dozens of times until you got mitigation up and everyone was still alive? :shepicide:

Good times. Remember when Intimidate was one of the most valuable abilities for achieving mastery? I'm kinda sad I shattered it

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

U-DO Burger posted:

Good times. Remember when Intimidate was one of the most valuable abilities for achieving mastery? I'm kinda sad I shattered it

I just shattered mine the other day too. It was a weird feeling.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Ok couple questions.

when you master an SSB/OSB/USB whatever and get the stat bonus is that bonus permanent? IE can you take off the item and start mastering something else and still keep the bonus ?

question two is, whats the ATK / MAG / MND soft cap I keep hear about?

Third question is a long one

Ive got a dilemma I never thought Id run into. I have too many heavy hitters on my enholy team. I threw caution (and money) to the wind and did one last 11 pull on the phase 4 banner even tho I blew all my mithril on it first time around, I got a third onion knight SSB staff (so now its 7* and my un-relic dived OK is fricking ridiculous with like 340 ATK, 415 MAG 380 MIND) and I got TG Cids holy/thunder OSB sword.

Problem is I was running

Onion knight staff SSB / gauntlets BSB
Beatrix with her holy boost / enholy BSB sword / platinum shield (for double holy boost) she hits like a god drat truck and 9999x2's even the hardest difficulty things
Minfilia for fullbreak and her Curtana BSB sword for stacking holy damage debuffs and her holy shield just cause
Agrias has ragnarok holy OSB sword and his venetian shield

now I was running Y'shtola who is fully relic sphere dived and has every soul break except the really good one I want asylum ... but shes my main healer with stoneskin II, medica II, aethrial whatever? the shell prot regen one ...

I want to swap out Y'shtola for TG Cid and his Saintly Excalibur Holy/Thunder OSB

the question is, in a few weeks when the OK event rolls back around, if I delve into white mage first and unlock 5* white mage can I make due with OK and realm warrior as my only real support ?
I mean once the bars are full and beatrix drops her enholy BSB and starts taunting everything on to her and Minfilia drops her burst and all her attacks debuff mag and atk things hit like wet noodles anyway and melt like hot buttery wet noodles but I still feel skeptical not having a dedicated white mage.

Thoughts ??

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The game needs to add Estinien from FFXIV so I can make a gimmick team of Dragoons.

Ricard
Kain
Estinien
Core Dragoon*
I dunno some healer loser.

* There are "better" dragoons, yeah, but none of them wear the signature armor, and thus are losers.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The game needs to add Estinien from FFXIV so I can make a gimmick team of Dragoons.

Ricard
Kain
Estinien
Core Dragoon*
Mog

* There are "better" dragoons, yeah, but none of them wear the signature armor, and thus are losers.

FTFY

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Weekly friendly reminder that the ffrk Discord is filled with helpful goons, and regular Hot MP Action

https://discord.gg/bx475KD

If you're just getting started or don't know what the hell to do with all your shiny new anniversary relics, come ask

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Hi posted:

Ok couple questions.

when you master an SSB/OSB/USB whatever and get the stat bonus is that bonus permanent? IE can you take off the item and start mastering something else and still keep the bonus ?

question two is, whats the ATK / MAG / MND soft cap I keep hear about?

Third question is a long one

I have too many heavy hitters on my enholy team. I threw caution (and money) to the wind and did one last 11 pull on the phase 4 banner ... and I got TG Cids holy/thunder OSB sword.

Thoughts ??
1. Yes.
2. As I understand it, the soft caps are where the benefits from stats taper off greatly. I don't know the numbers though.
3. I would swap Agrias out for Orlandeau as her OSB is just an OSB while Orlandeau's gives him a buff to keep the damage going

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

If you're like me and don't check Cid's Missions much, there are fifteen or so Mythril in there for various "complete using a party of X, Y and Z" dungeons that expire today :downs:

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Wooo beat Boundless Nemesis. Didn't master it though, since he died from a Deployment Tactics Armageddon that wiped out a bunch of my guys.

I don't have Sentinel Grimoire or Onion Knight OSB like I see a lot of people beating it having, but I did have quite a few luxury items seeing me through. Here's what I used

Terra (OSB) Power Breakdown/Wrath RM: True Past (Ashe RM3)
Cid Raines (BSB) Magic Breakdown/Power Breakdown RM: Lionheart
Eiko (USB) Curaja/Shellga RM: Dr. Mog
Y'shtola (BSB/Stoneskin II) Ultra Cure/Wrath RM: Mako Might
Rosa (SSB Divine Heal) Protectga/Wrath RM: Knight's Charge
RW: Deployment Tactics

General thoughts:
I only brought Cid as someone who could boost magic while also putting debuffs on. I have Penelo's burst; I could have conceivably used her instead, but I probably needed the plinky damage Metamorphose was doing.
Terra was the engine of damage, outside of Deployment Tactics. She was doing between 50-60k, depending on debuffs. I probably hit him six times.
I don't think I could have done it without Eiko's USB. I wasn't even fishing for it; I was trying to get a Blitzball so I could have a fun Blitzbball for my FFX sharpshooters to use!
I have Vanille's BSB, but never used it because I needed my healers to do other stuff like put up Wall and Magic Blink and Hatega and Last Stand
I don't think I actually did enough counterable attacks to make him to Counter Ultima.

I may try again to master it with maybe a physical team. The physical OSBs I have that can do non-elemental damage are Agrias's and Zidane's. I also have Firion's BSB. I'd probably want Edward's BSB, which is super-underrated, for debuffs, but I really feel like I needed to three heal it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ricard
Kain
Estinien
Core Dragoon*
I dunno some healer loser.

I kind of wonder how they're going to handle the post-50 and Heavensward (and Stormblood) stuff for FF14.

Mostly I hope that Steps of Faith will be in as a multiplayer fight.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

oh yeah, I still need to do Apocalypse Kuja.

... That was actually easier than the Ultimate+ Kuja because it took longer to hit his weak phases, so I built up more SB. Probably should have slowed my roll on the Ult+, huh.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
How much magic does Raines need to hit the soft cap if I'm running his BSB, Vessel of Fate, and another +30%? And what magic would he need with those and memento mori? Or is memento mori just gratuitous at that point?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MM would definitely be worth it, since doom increases the damage of his burst entry. It also means that you wouldn't need to use his burst command 2 for the buff, so you could start chaincasting command 1 immediately. With burst mode, the burst buff, VOF, and MM, you'd have 2.63x MAG, which is just over the buff soft cap of 2.5x. With all that you'd only need about 420 MAG to hit the stat soft cap.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mithross posted:

How much magic does Raines need to hit the soft cap if I'm running his BSB, Vessel of Fate, and another +30%? And what magic would he need with those and memento mori? Or is memento mori just gratuitous at that point?
Keep in mind the buff softcap is 250%; Raines reaches about 200% through Burst mode, entry buff and command 2 buff. Another 30% boost actually puts him at about 260%.

With that in mind, the magic softcap is 1,055. Divide that by 2.5 and you're going to need 422 magic with Vessel of Fate or Memento Mori. Anything beyond those values - 422 magic, 250% magic boost - is going to give you minimal gains.

EFB

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 9, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Keep in mind the buff softcap is 250%; Raines reaches about 200% through Burst mode, entry buff and command 2 buff. Another 30% boost actually puts him at about 260%.

With that in mind, the magic softcap is 1,055. Divide that by 2.5 and you're going to need 422 magic with Vessel of Fate or Memento Mori. Anything beyond those values - 422 magic, 250% magic boost - is going to give you minimal gains.

EFB

To be more precise, Raines can self-buff from 416 Magic to the soft cap, using Memento Mori (1.3), BSB entry (1.3*1.3=1.69), Burst Mode itself (1.69*1.2=2.028), and BSB command 2 (2.028*1.3=2.63; 2.63 turns into 2.5384 after adjusting for the soft cap). 1056/2.5384 = 416.01. The soft cap is actually between 1055 and 1056, so 416 does actually hit the cap, not come just short.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Raines with MM is so drat good. He can slot into any party and he doesn't even need any synergy. Doesn't hurt that you can get him two items that buff dark damage and still hit the cap pretty easily.

He is completely self sufficient and he makes all of your other mages better. The doom counter doesn't even matter because 4x9999 instant cast just destroys most targets.

I give him the double cast RM because he doesn't need +% MAG and usually hits the damage cap without +elemental (but I am giving him +40% dark with gear).

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 9, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KPC_Mammon posted:

Raines with MM is so drat good. He can slot into any party and he doesn't even need any synergy. Doesn't hurt that you can get him two items that buff dark damage and still hit the cap pretty easily.

He is completely self sufficient and he makes all of your other mages better. The doom counter doesn't even matter because 4x9999 instant cast just destroys most targets.

I have a mostly physical team going right now as I have Shout and Agrias with both her BSB and OSB.

Raines sits on the bottom spot, gets incidental Imperil Holy from Agrias (on the off chance he needs it) and requires no other support to do his job. It's great.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Now just wait until he gets his Legend Dive and in addition to all the stat buffs that gives, he also gets +15% holy/dark damage and 35% chance to doublecast holy/dark abilities (yes, including his BSB commands).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zurai posted:

Now just wait until he gets his Legend Dive and in addition to all the stat buffs that gives, he also gets +15% holy/dark damage and 35% chance to doublecast holy/dark abilities (yes, including his BSB commands).

What is a Legend Dive?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It's essentially a further extension of Record Dives (Record Spheres in Global) that gives a ton of stats to a character and also opens access to two special character-specific Legend Materias which equip into separate Legend Materia slots on the character. Not every character gets one at launch (they start with 2 from each realm), but every event since the first one has added 3 or so new Legend Dives so it's filling out fairly rapidly.

Global should get it sometime in around 2 months, because that's when the first event with the special 5 star Fragments for them and the Legend Materia Relics (which grant Legend Materias you don't need to Dive the character for) should come. The event which gives Cid Raines his Legend Dive isn't the first one (that's FF6), but it's in the first few afterwards. I'd have to check a list of events to be sure how soon, but it should be within 3 months from now.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Zurai posted:

I thought his legend dive was 30% increased buff duration, which sounded godawful. When does he pick up the 35% doublecast?

Ah, his LM is the underwhelming one, but he can dive for 35% doublecast? Sounds good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

I thought his legend dive was 30% increased buff duration, which sounded godawful. When does he pick up the 35% doublecast?

That's his Legend Materia Relic, and it is awful (possibly the worst in the game). His dive is 15% damage and 35% doublecast.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Oh, neat. I guess I should get to the point where I can do the second tier of Record Spheres then. I still don't have many 4* spheres but I imagine it's just a matter of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Events start giving a ton of 4 star orbs very soon.

• Locked thread