Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that Dishonored 2 tells me the screen ratios in the resolutions list. Seems like an obvious thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

RoboRodent posted:

One of the collectibles is ancient coffee mugs. The guy you trade them in for a reward is convinced the ancients used them for ceremonial shaving. Little touches like that.

That sounds really great and just made me hate Fallout 4 even more with the Baseball guy who talks about the game being about gladiatorial murder.

Does War for the Overworld have a torture chamber? I'll admit that I'm a sick gently caress and I loved all the unique animations in the first game.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

Does War for the Overworld have a torture chamber? I'll admit that I'm a sick gently caress and I loved all the unique animations in the first game.

It does indeed. Most of the DK1 staples are there in one form or another.

The best addition is the construct you can use to replace walls you've dug out.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I finished NIght in the Woods, really great game. I like that the miracle rats I've been taking care of have multiplied like crazy and have infested the entire town.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

Good thing we got the Force Unleashed games where you're basically playing a guy with a colored baseball bat that can perform combos against enemies. With a Lightsaber.

gently caress Force Unleashed.
The lightsaber combat and story are incredibly forgettable, but holy hell were the Force Abilities fun to use

Except when the game grinds to a halt by throwing people who are somehow immune to the Force at you and you are forced to smack them with your glowstick until they die of shame

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

QuietLion posted:

I'm very late to this game, but Psychonauts is just so fantastic and weird at the same time. I've only completed up to Levitation training, but all the campers have so much personality. Plus Kitty has a lot of
good insults for Raz. :allears:

I truly hope that by the end of the game, I get to see Mikhail wrestle the mystery bear-thing in the woods.

Psychonauts is great from start to finish, I hope the sequel's good.

Content : All the references to fallout 1 and 2 in New vegas are really standing out to me, more so than when I first played NV, the old lady in novac (who was once in the enclave) mentions crashing a vertibird in Klamath which made me smile.
Also Marcus turning up and talking about looking for a geck with a tribal was cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Psychonauts is great from start to finish, I hope the sequel's good.

Also Marcus turning up and talking about looking for a geck with a tribal was cool.

I had to kick him out of my party because he kept gunning down my team mates.
Ended up just using a bunch of dogs instead.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Are they doing that to keep their K/D ratio?

Games really should punish that poo poo. If you alt-f4 at less than 10% health it should count as a loss and you get the "whiny piss baby" tag added to your name for 30 days as a warning to others.

Was talking to a guy at work about this and he says that for Virtua Fighter 5 each player would have a face icon next to their name that was based on their connection history, which functioned like a reputation. If you kept dropping out of fights because of your connection or because you were a ragequitting wuss, either way you'd end up with a face icon that was sad (or red, whatever the exact system was I dunno) so that other players knew you were a risk to start a match with.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

scarycave posted:

Either that or he was half the map away when a fight broke out, because he didn't have a goddamn run animation so he was always lagging way behind.

gently caress that guy, Cassidy and Sulik bros4lyfe

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

scarycave posted:

Ended up just using a bunch of dogs instead.

Yeah it's a shame they didn't make mutants the right kind of fast till new vegas, Cassidy was always my fave but he was modded in right? (so hard to remember what's modded and what's vanilla in any fallout game lol)

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Cassidy was the bar/store owner with a heart problem that would close up shop and follow you in FO2.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah it's a shame they didn't make mutants the right kind of fast till new vegas, Cassidy was always my fave but he was modded in right? (so hard to remember what's modded and what's vanilla in any fallout game lol)

It always surpruses me how much NV supermutants can just haul rear end. Theyre se goddamn fast and their charge attacks cover a distance of anywhere->right up to your face.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dr Snofeld posted:

It does indeed. Most of the DK1 staples are there in one form or another.

The best addition is the construct you can use to replace walls you've dug out.

They basically have everything and just change the models. So the Dark Mistress is now the Succubus. The Imp is now a Gnarling, etc.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It always surpruses me how much NV supermutants can just haul rear end. Theyre se goddamn fast and their charge attacks cover a distance of anywhere->right up to your face.

Just how they should be, classic lumbering mutants are good but they're outclassed by their sprinting superiors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
In Persona 5, the standard loading animation is a black screen with a picture of the protagonist's head, with a hand on his chin in a thinking pose in the bottom-right corner of the screen. While you're spending time with your girlfriend, however, it has pink love hearts floating off of it :allears:.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
All of the loading screens in Persona 5 are amazing. From the Palace transitions to the "in the present day" fast forwards... Extremely well done.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The persona games always had a unique aesthetic to their UI but 5's is so drat good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

RagnarokAngel posted:

The persona games always had a unique aesthetic to their UI but 5's is so drat good.

I'm wondering, is this because of something they specifically do differently? Like, is the UI designer more explicitly part of the art team than they are in, say, a Final Fantasy game?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Do you also still have to deal with people cheating onto inaccessible rooftops? :v:
You have a drone that can drop bombs.

RoboRodent posted:

HZD has very quickly become a favourite game of mine. I think it's kind of a shame it's been overshadowed a little. Everything about it is just very satisfying for me. The combat is tight, the story is wonderful. I wasn't expecting such a lovely little bit of sci fi.

One of the collectibles is ancient coffee mugs. The guy you trade them in for a reward is convinced the ancients used them for ceremonial shaving. Little touches like that.

Even the vendor loot is neat.

Keigel posted:

He doesn't go inside. He doesn't talk to the owners or another agent. He is making this offer to the building itself. I don't think thats how real estate works; but then, Kiryu owns many buildings, and i own none. What do I know?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPqszue4pys

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I'm wondering, is this because of something they specifically do differently? Like, is the UI designer more explicitly part of the art team than they are in, say, a Final Fantasy game?

The UI in P5 is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else in the series. I think that Atlus figured that, since turn-based RPG's have become almost a novelty and they weren't going to innovate the actual gameplay all that much, they'd might as well go for broke on style in this particular entry.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Since Persona takes place in the "real world" and deals with a lot of collective unconscious stuff in its themes it can do a mishmash of art styles that give it just this utterly bizzare but familiar feel. Same goes for the catchy pop music.

Another little thing I like about Persona 5 is how it indicates if you already own a demon or not. If it's a demon you own then it's name appears when you target them in battle, if you dont have them yet it will just give a generic description like "weird floating dog" or "holy avenger".

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lobok posted:

Was talking to a guy at work about this and he says that for Virtua Fighter 5 each player would have a face icon next to their name that was based on their connection history, which functioned like a reputation. If you kept dropping out of fights because of your connection or because you were a ragequitting wuss, either way you'd end up with a face icon that was sad (or red, whatever the exact system was I dunno) so that other players knew you were a risk to start a match with.

What game was it only allowed frequent ragequitters to play with other frequent ragequitters?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Agents are GO! posted:

What game was it only allowed frequent ragequitters to play with other frequent ragequitters?

It's not related to disconnects, but Max Payne 3 had a Cheaters Pool for multiplayer: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/35441/taking-aim-at-cheaters-in-max-payne-3.html

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Agents are GO! posted:

League of Legends (cursed be it's name) also silently drops you into the rear end in a top hat pool if you get too many negative reports.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've also just started psychonauts (three hours in). Oh man that secret room milla's mind scared me. I hope I can go back and help her through it :ohdear:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Greatbacon posted:

League of Legends (cursed be it's name) also silently drops you into the rear end in a top hat pool if you get too many negative reports.

I think most MOBAs have something like this - DOTA 2 has the low priority pool where people who get too many negative reports on their play are forced to play with other poor performers, and also take longer to find games.

This results in people selling accounts which have good standing and high match making ratings so that instead of having to do well and earn the rank to play with a particular level of players, you can just buy into that level.

I've never understood the ego surrounding these games - recently I played a game where someone on the other team abandoned the game, which forfeits the match for that team. All except one member of that team left the game, and the other person insisted that our team leaves so that they don't get a loss on their play record.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 10:35 on Apr 9, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

ilmucche posted:

I've also just started psychonauts (three hours in). Oh man that secret room milla's mind scared me. I hope I can go back and help her through it :ohdear:

Oh god just wait till the end, the horrifying imagery gets cranked up a lot.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
One of the interesting things about how psychonauts depicts mental health is that it's more about the management of mental trauma rather than the lack of it. You could have a reasonable debate (not in this thread) about how truly "healthy" Milia's party-all-the-time or Sasha's fixation on order and control are as coping mechanisms are as long as they do the job of keeping things managed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Greatbacon posted:

They actually don't do that, for a couple of good reasons. Something something, everyone's an rear end in a top hat in MOBAs, etc.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm pretty sure Overwatch also nudges you toward other assholes (reported and muted players) during matchmaking.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

John Murdoch posted:

They actually don't do that, for a couple of good reasons. Something something, everyone's an rear end in a top hat in MOBAs, etc.

Read as: they don't want reported players to quit playing and stop giving them money.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RyokoTK posted:

Read as: they don't want reported players to quit playing and stop giving them money.

Well according to goons literally everything Riot does is in the name of $$$ so what else is new.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Nier: Automata

I'm pretty sure I just witnessed a Fatal Frame 2 reference in Ending B.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

Nier: Automata

I'm pretty sure I just witnessed a Fatal Frame 2 reference in Ending B.

There's an explanation for what you saw.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Guy Mann posted:

Normally doing the same boss battle four times in a row in rapid succession with only minor variations would be tedious, but Raz's stupid little victory dance made me look forward to each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdOyBG-VK1c

I love that victory dance.

I think Milkman Conspiracy and Milla's level (the one where most of it was on the levitation ball) were my favorites.

Dammit, now I think I'm going to need to play Psychonauts again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

m2pt5 posted:

I think Milkman Conspiracy and Milla's level (the one where most of it was on the levitation ball) were my favorites.

Dammit, now I think I'm going to need to play Psychonauts again.

i love steve blum's deadpan delivery for all the neighbors in the milkman level

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

John Murdoch posted:

Well according to goons literally everything Riot does is in the name of $$$ so what else is new.

Is there any game company this isn't true of?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

m2pt5 posted:

I love that he stole it from the bully near the start of the game.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

2house2fly posted:

Well..yes. For some it is a passion, that they get paid to do what they love is certainly a perk of course. Undertale and Stardew Valley's creators both spring to mind as examples of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

2house2fly posted:

Well I'd like to think it's the majority of them, though certainly not all.

Though I also don't mean "company likes to make money off their game" so much as "a red light blinks urgently in China (for that is where Riot's not-so-secret corporate overlords are located) indicating that sales of skin X are down, so Riot is instructed to immediately buff that champion and, perhaps for good measure, nerf their counters too". The reverse must also surely be true: When Riot says "this champion was overpowered, so we nerfed them" only a fool would take that at face value. What they actually mean is "when this champion gets played, the other 9 players buy fewer skins, so we had to do something about it".

If you put on those glasses from They Live, League of Legends and everything surrounding it would just say BUY SKINS over and over.