Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

Yeah, my thought process as I figured that photo out was:

"drat, look at those clouds!"
"Wait that's a mountain."
"I wonder if anyone's ever flown into a mountain because it looked like clouds to them."
"I'll post this exact thought process because if someone has, a goon will definitely know about it."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_flight_into_terrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ApathyGifted posted:

Yeah, my thought process as I figured that photo out was:

"drat, look at those clouds!"
"Wait that's a mountain."
"I wonder if anyone's ever flown into a mountain because it looked like clouds to them."
"I'll post this exact thought process because if someone has, a goon will definitely know about it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MVDY8o7Bs

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
"Say...what's a mountain goat doing way up here in a cloud bank?"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Here, have it in 1920x1200, it's really worth a look:

This is awesome.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

A) Holy. gently caress. :catstare:

B) What the hell type of piston engine plane were they in that could run with an L-39?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Neither this, CFIT, or the Venezuelan flight mentioned are even close to the situation I was talking about. Air New Zealand is the closest, but even that was a matter of being a whiteout.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a Beechcraft Bonanza, I think. And the L-39 isn't exactly a fighter jet...it's got pretty straight wings and according to 5 seconds of googling stalls at around 90KIAS. The L-39 has the potential to be a lot faster obviously but both planes share part of their envelope.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Sorry about the Facebook video, but check this out. Any idea who these guys are?

https://www.facebook.com/10millionpicsofficial/videos/1366852736741432/

Al Fursan, the aerobatics team of the UAE Air Force.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gorilla Salad posted:

Here, have it in 1920x1200, it's really worth a look:

What mountain is this, anyway?

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

Nebakenezzer posted:

What mountain is this, anyway?

Bryce3D Peak.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

This is a better mountain

edit:
Since I have the folder open anyways:

this one is credit to someone in this thread.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 9, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Jonny Nox posted:

Since I have the folder open anyways:

I'm generally not a big fan of the all-over flag or design mural paint jobs, but the Dutch ones always look amazing. The Canadian ones are usually pretty good too.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm generally not a big fan of the all-over flag or design mural paint jobs, but the Dutch ones always look amazing. The Canadian ones are usually pretty good too.

Yeah, I have this pic as part of my references for the Revel model of this paint scheme. It's actually really subtly done. One of my favorite models.

Canada does okay too I guess:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jonny Nox posted:

This is a better mountain

The navy really hates multiple airframes, don't they?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

The navy really hates multiple airframes, don't they?

Well, the Prowler is dead now too.

Is the Greyhound?

RIP dead navy airframes

etc.

edit 2:
last one. Promise. It's just.... uuuuuuuunnnggggggg

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 9, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I swear the Vigilante was probably designed thinking aircraft carriers were just going to keep getting bigger.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I swear the Vigilante was probably designed thinking aircraft carriers were just going to keep getting bigger.

It was built around the mk28 nuclear bomb. Literally

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boeing’s 737 had its maiden flight fifty years ago today.

This date of this flight is closer to Great War than to the present day.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 9, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jonny Nox posted:

Well, the Prowler is dead now too.

Is the Greyhound?

RIP dead navy airframes

etc.

edit 2:
last one. Promise. It's just.... uuuuuuuunnnggggggg

Greyhound isn't dead but is being phased out by the V-22 as of 2014. However E-2 is here to stay and C-2 and E-2 share a lot of commonality so V-22 adds another airframe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Greyhound isn't dead but is being phased out by the V-22 as of 2014. However E-2 is here to stay and C-2 and E-2 share a lot of commonality so V-22 adds another airframe.

And its called the CMV-22 which has to be the silliest designation currently active.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:btroll:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ApathyGifted posted:

Neither this, CFIT, or the Venezuelan flight mentioned are even close to the situation I was talking about. Air New Zealand is the closest, but even that was a matter of being a whiteout.

Air New Zealand wasn't even a normal whiteout if I understand it correctly (A normal whiteout being when you are in severely limited visibility restrictions due to snow). Because the airplane wasn't where the crew thought it was, they thought that the gigantic white thing in front of them was just an ice shelf down on the ocean, when in fact the ice shelf was behind them. The clouds made the white of the mountain blend in to the point where they just couldn't make out the shape of it.

They apparently had excellent visibility, it's just that everything they could see was white, and they were in the wrong place.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Well, the Skywarrior *was* designed thinking aircraft carriers were going to get bigger, since the USS United States was still scheduled for construction while it was under development.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

charliemonster42 posted:

B) What the hell type of piston engine plane were they in that could run with an L-39?

Like Sagebrush said, it's not a really fast plane, despite its sleek look. One time my flight school did a photo shoot of one, and I flew the camera ship, an Extra... also not a fast plane. We didn't even have to use flaps on the 39 (so it didn't look slow in the photos) but it would have made things easier.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

Like Sagebrush said, it's not a really fast plane, despite its sleek look. One time my flight school did a photo shoot of one, and I flew the camera ship, an Extra... also not a fast plane. We didn't even have to use flaps on the 39 (so it didn't look slow in the photos) but it would have made things easier.

300x202? What the gently caress is this, 1995?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

It's a Beechcraft Bonanza, I think. And the L-39 isn't exactly a fighter jet...it's got pretty straight wings and according to 5 seconds of googling stalls at around 90KIAS. The L-39 has the potential to be a lot faster obviously but both planes share part of their envelope.

Fair point. Just looked like the L-39 was flaps up and cruising pretty good, but they could be just after takeoff. It might not be a fast jet but it'll still cruise at above 300ktas, which was the first thought that popped into my head.

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 10, 2017

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

56k warning! Lots of pictures! Long load time!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JayseDavid/status/851223662976004096

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus^

:stare:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/united-passenger-forcibly-removed-flight-refusing-give-seat-134930951.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
How may we re-accommodate you today?

https://twitter.com/united/status/851471781827420160

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 10, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh jesus

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/united-airlines-flight-overbooked-1.4063632

quote:

Bridges said the airline was forcing paying customers to give up their seats so that they could be given to airline employees flying stand-by who needed to work a flight in Louisville on Monday.

The loving backlash they'll rightfully receive it would have been cheaper to charter or deadhead one of their own ac for their staff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'mma reaccomodate your rear end outa your office

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

If I were that passenger, my only response to anyone from UAL trying to talk to me would be "Talk to my lawyer"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

evil_bunnY posted:

I'mma reaccomodate your rear end outa your office

https://twitter.com/PRWeekUS/status/842484619744178176

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
"Talk to my team of top flight lawyers who airdropped onto my lawn 15 minutes after this was posted to Twitter."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

They just have to keep sweetening the offer until people start to take it. Eventually it will become appealing enough for the people that realize they didn't have to be there if there was enough cash in it and maybe a free flight anywhere or something in the mix..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

"Talk to my team of top flight lawyers who airdropped onto my lawn 15 minutes after this was posted to Twitter."

You mean re-accommodated midflight to his lawn.

edit: supposedly republic never offered cash, just flight certificates. $800 in flight certs is nice but people flying Sunday night probably need to burn a PTO day to take the offer.