Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Correct. The first half is remembered so much because it contains so many memorable lines, but the second half is the one with a solid, powerful story.

The whole movie is a solid, powerful story, really; it does a very good job of pointing out how god awful war actually is, what it does to people, and how nobody really wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I guess I really don't get it. They're fine, it's catchy pop music. But their songs were repetitive, their lyrics banal and all the stuff I really liked from them came after the split.
I can't get behind being obsessed with them and thinking they're music's end-all.

I hate to be that guy but you never really listened to the Beatles did you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjvdZm-Tu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Apr 9, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Pls/. tell me about your breeding opinions

Or rather dont

Its not about who should breed. It just seems to be true that the more educated you are the less kids you tend to have. Isnt that statistically true? For me its anecdotally true.

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's actually possible that the chocolate in Reese's cups isn't even chocolate anymore. I forget what they're making it out of but apparently a lot of candy bars these days are made with some kind of oil concoction that tastes about like chocolate and a poo poo load of sugar. It's much cheaper and we as Americans are disgusting pigs that just buy whatever is cheapest and sweetest.

I don't know about Hershey's, but Palmer's brand chocolate is basically chocolate flavored shortening at this point.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Coming back to music discussion I think Swan Lake's album Beast Moans is the best album of the 2000s and I get all the criticism of it but drat that album is the poo poo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Joanna Newsom's Ys is second

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Mosquito by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs had a couple decent tracks on it. It's Blitz has some loving pop bangers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGNo8RL5kM

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jastiger posted:

Idiocracy is more true than we want to believe re: breeding.
It really isn't.

Jastiger posted:

Its not about who should breed. It just seems to be true that the more educated you are the less kids you tend to have. Isnt that statistically true? For me its anecdotally true.
Even if it is true, education is not a genetic trait.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

There's also a correlation between how much sex you have and how many kids you have. Anyone who has kids has had sex. People who have never had sex won't have children. You wont ever have children. No doubt because you are very smart and well-educated.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

It really isn't.

Even if it is true, education is not a genetic trait.

Obvioualy it isnt, its a class issue. Folks that dont practice family planning tend to.have more children. Folks that look upon the world and plan and plan and worry about things have less kids because they are woried about the children's future and their own economic stability.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
What you are talking about Jastiger, is mainly about social class being inherited, because of poor kids going to bad schools, and not having a good environment in general, and not genetics. We are still a long ways off from poor people genetically differentiating to a different subspecies.

It can be fought with leftist social programs that give the children of poor people the chance to get an education and rise in class.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Mosquito by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs had a couple decent tracks on it. It's Blitz has some loving pop bangers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGNo8RL5kM

Their first three albums (and EP) are all rock solid but they never topped It's Blitz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjPFAV1foU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not a die hard Yeah Yeah Yeahs fan but Dull Life is one of the best songs ever.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

What you are talking about Jastiger, is mainly about social class being inherited, because of poor kids going to bad schools, and not having a good environment in general, and not genetics. We are still a long ways off from poor people genetically differentiating to a different subspecies.

It can be fought with leftist social programs that give the children of poor people the chance to get an education and rise in class.

I wasn't even talking about genetics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So you were just talking about nothing then. I guess that falls in line with most of your posting.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh cool, it's been a few weeks since we had someone advocate eugenics in this thread.

This is why I hate Idiocracy. The entire movie's argument is basically "eugenics is a good thing and stupid people breeding must be stopped".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The entire movie's argument is basically "eugenics is a good thing and stupid people breeding must be stopped".

Nah

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Isn't Idiocracy about cultural retardation rather than genetics?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No my phuo is that all these educated liberals need to have more kids, but tend not to because they focus on their careers or have a lifestyle they dont want to change. On the other hand, folks further down thr economic ladder tend to have more children because of the factors mentioned before.

Those that would make the best parents and/or stewards of the future tend to take that mantle less often than others

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My opinion is that instead of encouraging the privileged to have more children and outweight the unwashed masses, every child should receive a good education and have access to decent living conditions and nutrition, with government's help if necessary, so all children can grow up to be well adjusted adults.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

No my phuo is that all these educated liberals need to have more kids, but tend not to because they focus on their careers or have a lifestyle they dont want to change. On the other hand, folks further down thr economic ladder tend to have more children because of the factors mentioned before.

Those that would make the best parents and/or stewards of the future tend to take that mantle less often than others

The "educated liberals" can become teachers and influence hundreds of kids over their lifetimes, rather than just their own gaggle.

You don't "steward the future" 2.4 children at a time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

My opinion is that instead of encouraging the privileged to have more children and outweight the unwashed masses, every child should receive a good education and have access to decent living conditions and nutrition, with government's help if necessary, so all children can grow up to be well adjusted adults.

Creationism and pizza is a vegetable.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If you ever find yourself wondering what Jastiger is trying to get at, just assume it is "I hate poor people" because that's basically all of his opinions at the root.

steinrokkan is right, the answer isn't breeding out the poors, it's making it so they don't have to live in those conditions. Getting a college degree and being liberal and having money doesn't mean you are inherently a better parent. There are good and bad parents on both sides.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Isn't Idiocracy about cultural retardation rather than genetics?

This is how the movie starts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzbWXgM0ygU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Getting a college degree and being liberal and having money doesn't mean you are inherently a better parent. There are good and bad parents on both sides.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Why not both?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I haven't watched it in years I just remember the president talking about what plants crave.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

it's like everything i despise about the sloppy pop science understanding of evolution that seems so common in people whose knowledge is mostly second-hand, all neatly wrapped up in one short intro

it actually uses a picture of beethoven, a common man whose family was largely picked off by disease who also loved and was loved by socialites but never married because of class restrictions and so died childless, to unironically reinforce the sentiment that natural selection once worked as intended and favored propagation of humanity's noble traits

it even juxtaposes its fictions so the audience will lament the football jock for outfucking the nebbish hi-IQ nerd :allears:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What a shame that the educated better classes aren't passing down their superior genes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The one ding on an otherwise great movie. I wonder if Mike Judge ever regretted setting it up like this. It could have been achieved in a lot of ways that weren't so outright classist.

I don't think it's supposed to be as heavy as people treat it though and it is pretty funny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The one ding on an otherwise great movie.
I don't think it's that good a movie - it's fine, just not as great as people make it out to be - but yeah, it would be way better without that intro.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's actually possible that the chocolate in Reese's cups isn't even chocolate anymore. I forget what they're making it out of but apparently a lot of candy bars these days are made with some kind of oil concoction that tastes about like chocolate and a poo poo load of sugar. It's much cheaper and we as Americans are disgusting pigs that just buy whatever is cheapest and sweetest.

Much like Wyngz, if you ever see anything that's "chocolat(e)y" (like hot chocolatey powder or chocolaty chip ice cream) it's not actual chocolate. Yes, even chocolaty milk.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love Mike Judge and it was my least favorite thing from him when it came out, but it really does feel prophetic at this point so it's really grown on me.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

mojo1701a posted:

Much like Wyngz, if you ever see anything that's "chocolat(e)y" (like hot chocolatey powder or chocolaty chip ice cream) it's not actual chocolate. Yes, even chocolaty milk.

And ever since the name change, mtn dew doesn't even come from real mountains any more!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I love Mike Judge and it was my least favorite thing from him when it came out, but it really does feel prophetic at this point so it's really grown on me.

lol a universally loved black president is definitely prophetic

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've never seen Idiocracy because I've always gotten bad vibes from what I've heard about it, I assume it's basically the social satire of Demolition Man, but a whole movie of nothing but that?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

I've never seen Idiocracy because I've always gotten bad vibes from what I've heard about it, I assume it's basically the social satire of Demolition Man, but a whole movie of nothing but that?

It's not that at all, Demolition Man was clever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whatever. Idiocracy is funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3boy_tLWeqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUNPMPrxvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkPGlVqqEP0

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Apr 9, 2017

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

What a shame that the educated better classes aren't passing down their superior genes

that opening was so bad i had to double-check to make sure that it wasn't itself a satire of the things meek computer engineers who were bullied in high school might tell themselves about the value of their IQs; unfortunately it wasn't that kind of parody even tho it actually flashed a picture of Einstein, a man who had to flee a government that tried to ensure that noble human traits (as arbitrarily defined by the state) were still being selected for by getting rid of the 'bad' ones, as a symbol of ideal selection

like, you can't set up that kind of pairing without meaning to right? or the suggestion that the anxious dude with the low gamete viability and early onset heart disease would always have been favored by natural selection but modern science just isn't letting nature take its course anymore?

i'm sure this film does have its own merits and is probably very entertaining, maybe even insightful, but after seeing how it introduced itself i can't see these clips without a south park style This Is What Technerds Actually Believe Will Happen If They Don't Get Laid Nonstop flashing at the bottom

vvv: i know, i know but look it up: it actually takes its anti-consumerism and critiques against anti-intellectualism and declining competence very seriously even if humor is the main vehicle for delivering the point

hard counter has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm not sure how an intro in which the smart people are so up tight the guy literally dies of a heart attack while masturbating somehow means that the makers were totally serious about the idea behind the movie.