Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

feedmyleg posted:

They tried to set up Jeremy Renner when Hollywood was attempting to make him a terrible leading man instead of a great character actor.

That's two failed attempts at having Renner take over a franchise.

3 if you cheat and include the fact that he hasn't had a solo Marvel film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Hawkeye couldn't carry a film.

Now a Netflix series based on the Matt Fraction comic, that would be amazing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Jeremy Renner looks like a slightly deflated Nathan Fillion, which is really distracting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

They tried to set up Jeremy Renner when Hollywood was attempting to make him a terrible leading man instead of a great character actor. And now he's not even going to be in this one, shows how well that went. Now they seem to be setting up Henry Cavill as the torch-bearer moving forward. Which is great, because if Man From U.N.C.L.E. is anything to go by, Caville has really pulled the short straw far too many times in his roles and is primed for a role in a good franchise that lets him show his charm and magnetism.

I'm cool if Cruise wants to keep making these but takes more of a patriarch role and lets Cavill take over.

Tom Cruise is going to do it forever, he's cleared all his body thetans and has thus stopped aging.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Jeremy Renner looks like a slightly deflated Nathan Fillion, which is really distracting.
He also doubled down on his dumb "black widow what a whore amirite bruh" comment during the Age of Ultron PR blitz, which just makes me think he's a dick when I see his sad droopy dog face.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Hawkeye couldn't carry a film.

Now a Netflix series based on the Matt Fraction comic, that would be amazing.

At this point I don't trust the Marvel TV folks to do a drat thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Tom Cruise is going to do it forever, he's cleared all his body thetans and has thus stopped aging.

If It were proven I could age like Tom Cruise if I joined Scientology Id be signing up for the 6 billion year soul commitment in a heartbeat.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

feedmyleg posted:

They tried to set up Jeremy Renner when Hollywood was attempting to make him a terrible leading man instead of a great character actor. And now he's not even going to be in this one, shows how well that went. Now they seem to be setting up Henry Cavill as the torch-bearer moving forward. Which is great, because if Man From U.N.C.L.E. is anything to go by, Caville has really pulled the short straw far too many times in his roles and is primed for a role in a good franchise that lets him show his charm and magnetism.

I'm cool if Cruise wants to keep making these but takes more of a patriarch role and lets Cavill take over.

Henry Cavill as in "charisma of a wet paper bag Superman" Henry Cavill?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

No, Henry Cavill as in "the entire movie is a sexy cologne commercial" Henry Cavill.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Strontosaurus posted:

No, Henry Cavill as in "the entire movie is a sexy cologne commercial" Henry Cavill.

That's a good way to describe the new Aquaman, too.

No wait Aquaman, you're not supposed to drink it!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
God, he's really hot though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Grendels Dad posted:

That's a good way to describe the new Aquaman, too.

No wait Aquaman, you're not supposed to drink it!

I really don't know why people poo poo on the Snyder movies. You'll never see anything like that at all in a Marvel flick.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I really don't know why people poo poo on the Snyder movies. You'll never see anything like that at all in a Marvel flick.

I swing the other way but a lot of my man seeking friends got really light headed at the helicopter grappling scene in civil war.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The whole Marvel film/TV continuity is seriously rife with beefcake.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's the only redeeming feature.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

I really don't know why people poo poo on the Snyder movies.

it's because most of them are not well made.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

feedmyleg posted:

At this point I don't trust the Marvel TV folks to do a drat thing.

The only show that was bad was Iron Fist and it's still better than like half the other poo poo on TV.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The only show that was bad was Iron Fist and it's still better than like half the other poo poo on TV.

Iron Fist is like if they sat everybody down in front of Daredevil season one and said, ok, see that? Do all of that on the first take because that's all the time and money we have. It's worse that the bad werewolf show from a few years back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

My opinion is a different opinion than this.

raditts posted:

He wasn't exactly given a lot to work with. If you haven't seen Man from U.N.C.L.E. check it out - great film, and shows off what Cavill can do if actually written a proper character.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Iron Fist is like if they sat everybody down in front of Daredevil season one and said, ok, see that? Do all of that on the first take because that's all the time and money we have. It's worse that the bad werewolf show from a few years back.

Hemlock Grove loving sucks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Hemlock Grove loving sucks.

It's bad in the exact same way Iron Fist is.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wow, I guess I'm literally never watching the rest of it then.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jose Oquendo posted:

Snyder's movies have great visual direction and great visual setpieces.

Their actual content is slapdash and poor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah. I mean, I've only seen about two episodes of each, but I can see that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will say that I watched the entire first season of Hemlock Grove (it's only like 6 episodes or something) because I found it so amusing. Iron Fist, so much less so.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

But even Daredevil season 1 has the problem that its best fight by far is in the first episode and then 3/4ths of the show becomes about Kingpin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dont even fink about it posted:

But even Daredevil season 1 has the problem that its best fight by far is in the first episode and then 3/4ths of the show becomes about Kingpin.

Well, keep in mind that I wasn't saying that Daredevil was any good in particular, it just represents the high watermark for the Netflix Marvel stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Second episode, and Daredevil also had the cool Ninja fight pretty late in the season where the dude set himself on fire.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I will say that I watched the entire first season of Hemlock Grove (it's only like 6 episodes or something) because I found it so amusing. Iron Fist, so much less so.

I think the fact that the show was so mind-numbingly boring while the transformations were pretty cool made me legit mad at Hemlock Grove.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't know, I've been really enjoying having Iron Fist on in the background as I play Stellaris. It's very chill. I really like how so many of the fights are people just shoving each other a bit. Might be my favorite MCU/Netflix series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was reading so many old school Iron Fist comics in prep for the show and then the reviews started coming in and... let's just say I'm still enjoying all the old school Iron Fist comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opinions from people who didn't actually watch the show are pretty useless.

Edit: That was directed at the guy who played video games while watching the show, not the guy who likes reading the comics, because I assume he's not playing a video game while reading comics.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 9, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I was joking, I actually got sucked in pretty quick and started watching it straight. The relatively low-key fights are pretty novel compared to doing a bad job at something more extravagant.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I made it seven episodes into Iron Fist and I can watch almost anything. Second half Luke Cage had some bad moments but even that was good compared to any scene Danny Rand is in.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

What, a cologne commercial?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

What, a cologne commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pov4qMSfg9w&t=95s

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm fairly certain that the only reason I made it to the end of iron fist is that I jumped in six episodes in

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

PJOmega posted:

I swing the other way but a lot of my man seeking friends got really light headed at the helicopter grappling scene in civil war.

I remember audible gasps from women in the audience when he switches grips during this scene.

Same thing whenever Thor was shirtless.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Uh the hallway fight is episode 2

Skwirl posted:

Second episode, and Daredevil also had the cool Ninja fight pretty late in the season where the dude set himself on fire.

Unfortunately they leaned hard into ninjas in the second season and it was lame, in accordance with the law of inverse ninja strength.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

raditts posted:

Unfortunately they leaned hard into ninjas in the second season and it was lame, in accordance with the law of inverse ninja strength.

Terrible what passes for a ninja these days.

• Locked thread