Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wolrah posted:

Rufus has a EFI driver that attempts to add support for NTFS to any EFI, but it is not secure boot compatible so it won't work on systems with that enabled.

In theory you could sign it yourself and load it from the Secure Boot shim if you wanted to go down that path, but for purposes of installing Windows I'd just temporarily disable Secure Boot and then re-enable it on the first reboot when I didn't need to boot from the USB stick anymore.

edit: Ok this is cool, the author of Rufus has apparently converted GRUB's filesystem drivers to EFI so it's not just NTFS, it's basically any filesystem that matters and a lot that don't. http://efi.akeo.ie/
Correct. Use Rufus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
This is the stupidest simple problem and I don't know where it's gone wrong. I've managed to make a thin client RDP configuration which works perfectly, particularly the sound quality which is great and softphone quality is great, so I took a backup of the config to a usb stick and E-mailed another copy to myself then went to get dinner. I come back to test it again and sound isn't working at all :smith:

I don't get it as I didn't change anything afterwards, and it's just RDP there's only so many toggles you can change.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Try not to drink TOO much.

:frogout:

I don't think you get IT.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MF_James posted:

the pile of poo poo will never disappear

New thread title right there.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

poo poo that pisses me off:

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Jeoh posted:

:byodood:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Jeoh posted:

:wtc:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Jeoh posted:

:banjo:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Jeoh posted:

Ugh that's disgusting.

Replace those zip ties asap.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Index and match has got me far but I am now looking looking at having to rewrite the data format.

I currently need to look for the correct column, look down the column for number then look across that row for the value in the first column. Can this actually be done without vbs?

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ugh that's disgusting.

Replace those zip ties asap.

:master:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Index and match has got me far but I am now looking looking at having to rewrite the data format.

I currently need to look for the correct column, look down the column for number then look across that row for the value in the first column. Can this actually be done without vbs?

I feel like this could be done with just about any scripting language :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I think there is an Excel thread over in CoC, but I can't see why it couldn't be done. Do the lookups across multiple cells. A1 finds the column index, A2 finds the row index, A3 searches the row?

Edit: If you dare download Excel files from random people on the internet, here's something that may be useful.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 7, 2017

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jeoh posted:

I will be the one to ask; is that flypaper with dead bugs?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On the topic of Excel, why the gently caress didn't they implement a switch function until 2013? I'm on 2010, and I'm stuck figuring out how to handle this without nesting a ton of IFs. I'm having to restart a count of numbers depending on the row, and the formula is already completely illegible. The parentheses seem to match up, but when it tells me there's an error, it just highlights the entire thing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

I will be the one to ask; is that flypaper with dead bugs?

It's mostly rat poo poo. Technician opened it up, went "Nooope", and called people to clean that poo poo up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CFO guy: Can you make our customers 'taxable' for states X, Y, and Z? We forgot to last month lol

Me: Can you tell me which customer codes we should be charging tax on? Commercial, etc

(sends him customer list with their codes)

CFO Guy: Here you go!

(sends back Excel spreadsheet with the ones he wants taxable, highlighted)

:argh:

I asked which codes so I can just say "UPDATE CUSTOMERS SET TAXABLE = 'Y' WHERE TYPE IN ('C', 'C2', 'E' ..."
Our coding system is all hosed up anyway.

Wevel
Aug 22, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Is something like this what you're after?

Data:
code:
       A                     B                C
1     heading1        	heading2	    heading3
2     a	                2	                1
3     b	                3	                2
4     c	                4	                3
5     d	                5	                4
6     e	                6	                5
7     f	                7	                6
8     g	                8	                7
10 heading3            4                     =INDEX($A$1:$A$8,MATCH($B$10,INDEX($A$1:$C$8,,MATCH($A$10,$A$1:$C$1,0)),0))

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Any specific reason you want to avoid Vba? For stuff more complicated than index/match it might be a good idea.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

CFO guy: Can you make our customers 'taxable' for states X, Y, and Z? We forgot to last month lol

Me: Can you tell me which customer codes we should be charging tax on? Commercial, etc

(sends him customer list with their codes)

CFO Guy: Here you go!

(sends back Excel spreadsheet with the ones he wants taxable, highlighted)

:argh:

I asked which codes so I can just say "UPDATE CUSTOMERS SET TAXABLE = 'Y' WHERE TYPE IN ('C', 'C2', 'E' ..."
Our coding system is all hosed up anyway.

It's highlighted in excel? You can filter in excel to only show things with certain formatting and delete everything that isn't formatting that way (or is, but you could have the formatting just be unformatted to delete) It's been years since I've done it but it wasn't that bad to get via google last time. That should save you some data entry and hopefully give you some nice excel code to reuse when this happens again next month.

edit: this blog looks like exactly what you want http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2015/01/15/delete-rows-with-conditional-formatting-color/
Only instead of conditional formatting someone formatted it ahead of time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pixaal posted:

It's highlighted in excel? You can filter in excel to only show things with certain formatting and delete everything that isn't formatting that way (or is, but you could have the formatting just be unformatted to delete) It's been years since I've done it but it wasn't that bad to get via google last time. That should save you some data entry and hopefully give you some nice excel code to reuse when this happens again next month.

edit: this blog looks like exactly what you want http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2015/01/15/delete-rows-with-conditional-formatting-color/
Only instead of conditional formatting someone formatted it ahead of time.

The problem is I asked him 'which customer codes are not taxable', and he sent me back the list of customers and add 'Y' or 'N' to them in a new column

I wanted him to say 'CS, BC, C, C2 ... should all be taxable" and I could just update them in a SQL statement, not just go through this arbitrary list. I explained to him what I wanted and he fixed it.

The problem is a million years ago we used the fields to mean different things. Like a customer can be government, and commercial (think of a grocery store on base like a PX), or they can be 'international commercial', instead of having fields for things like 'international' (the software doesn't support countries other than the US, one of the many reasons we are moving away form it).

So instead of 'taxable' being a field and YES/NO, there's a 'tax code' field. Government, Yes, No, Reseller, Other, just a bunch of bullshit all mashed into one. I ended up using the customer field and then just checked the customer name for 'commissary' and it got within 5 out of 1822 of his original spreadsheet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Why aren't you just using a third party tax API that handles everything for you?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Why aren't you just using a third party tax API that handles everything for you?

We were!

However, the product was 'moonlighted'. The guy that did the integration into our lovely ERP software is doing a thing where he imports tax tables from Reuters into the software that is no longer getting updates, and it works out great. I have him scheduled to 'convert' us in a few weeks. We previously downloaded a tax file from the company every month or whatever, and the software we're using with the new system is an API-based service and it works splendidly. We also re-classified our customers in way that makes sense.

Either way, we still have to have a way to flag the correct customers as taxable, as it's not simply every customer in a given state that we have nexus in.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Not pissing me off: getting promoted :unsmith:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:cheers:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Some IP-connected camera we have was having problems and I wound up having to dig through the web page's source to figure out why it was only working on IE (the answer: it uses VLC media player's plugin, which requires NPAPI and hasn't been updated in like four years :gonk: ). There were some other interesting finds such as "Hello, world!" javascript functions and a bunch of comments in Chinese, so at least now I know where the vendor offshores their software development to and why their vague "we'll totally get it fixed!" target date is Christmas 2017.

Are there any camera or DVR vendors whose products aren't complete pieces of junk?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Axis are pretty good

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The featureset is limited and they don't have a complete line of cameras, but I've been really happy with Ubiquiti UniFi (formerly branded AirCam). If your needs are fairly basic they work well. The official DVR appliance is running a basically unmodified Debian Linux install preloaded with their DVR application, so it's easy to secure and maintain, or you can run their app for free on any major OS (warning: Java), or of course anything that supports RTSP can just connect to the camera directly.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

Axis are pretty good

Agreed. Though milestone leaves a lot to be desired, especially the mobile server component.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Not pissing me off: promotion from "only overworked employee in this country who is doing internal IT, project engineering and all levels of helldesk" to "Lead R&D goon on our flagship project".

My time is now 100% booked by this project. The timeline depends on me actually doing this job. I have full backing from my manager and the Ops director to basically tell anyone who asks me to do anything related to my old job to gently caress right off - all requests must be routed to them, and they WILL be denied.

Our only other IT staffer here is a first / second line guy who's two weeks into the job.

I can't wait for someone to ask me to do something and then see the look on their face as I say no and despair sets in.

(I would've left sooner but the new role is actually pretty great, and they're helping me relocate. I don't want to remain in my home country for much longer.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Woogles posted:

Not pissing me off: promotion from "only overworked employee in this country who is doing internal IT, project engineering and all levels of helldesk" to "Lead R&D goon on our flagship project".

My time is now 100% booked by this project. The timeline depends on me actually doing this job. I have full backing from my manager and the Ops director to basically tell anyone who asks me to do anything related to my old job to gently caress right off - all requests must be routed to them, and they WILL be denied.

Our only other IT staffer here is a first / second line guy who's two weeks into the job.

I can't wait for someone to ask me to do something and then see the look on their face as I say no and despair sets in.

(I would've left sooner but the new role is actually pretty great, and they're helping me relocate. I don't want to remain in my home country for much longer.)

They're going to cry to the CEO as their department crumbles into ruin, and your director will be overruled.

Dehumanize yourself and look towards unpaid overtime.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get on an early access preview to a new feature of a service we use (and receive clear communication about it being a preview that you might want to participate in), ignore it for two months, decide to move a load of your departmental data into it at the end of last week without consulting anybody else, find out that it doesn't really work how you want it to, and then try and make it my problem on a Sunday to resolve?

Haha, good one!

:fuckoff:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Woogles posted:

I love that you believe any of that is going to happen.

That's adorable. :allears:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Ignore requests from everyone

Except these people and this group and this other guy and wait this person needs it done now and you aren't busy right?

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Make no mistake; I could've left at any time but there's a very specific reason I stayed.

I've put up with crap to further my own agenda but now have other parties who could assist me with it. So I'm under no obligation to do what they ask; I can quite comfortably walk out on the spot.

And will, if they try me.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Microsoft Outlook - what genius thought "Clutter" was a good idea?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Emergency ticket came in on Saturday evening -

:) need you to disconnect a phone
:( no they are owned by BT. I don't know where the cabling is even if I wanted to help sorry, let me call the helpdesk and see if they have any options.
BT-Helpdesk: we cant really help with what you are asking (what a surprise, although it might just be miscommunication)
:( I've called BT, they cant really help.
:) never mind the issue has resolved itself we don't need anything

Ok well, thanks for disturbing my Saturday night because you had a panic about something you were able to resolve within 10 minutes, I suppose I will claim 4 hours for 10 minutes of calling people.

Anyway, fast forward to this morning - the people who are responsible for sorting issues with the phone system asked the maintenance manager if he can work out what we should do if this happens again.
Stupidly, he says ok I'll sort that because he wants to please everyone. He also forgets he is not my boss so I am more than happy to point out if I don't support it and my boss hasn't agreed to me doing it, I wont be doing it.

The correct response from him at this point should have been 'ok I will call security and ask them to sort their own poo poo out' but he kind of just ignored me which means he will ask again in the near future.

I've escalated this to my boss so when the inevitable 'be a team player' stuff starts happening I can point out, as I already have, that we don't support this system!!!!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Came in to work this morning and my coworker has forgotten his laptop so he decided to log on to my workstation before heading off to a meeting. For whatever dumb reason group policy here disables the ability to force-logoff another user as administrator.

Oh well I'll just power cycle it, his loss if he left anything open.

*reboot*

"Non system disk or disk error."

:saddowns:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Collateral Damage posted:

Came in to work this morning and my coworker has forgotten his laptop so he decided to log on to my workstation before heading off to a meeting. For whatever dumb reason group policy here disables the ability to force-logoff another user as administrator.

Oh well I'll just power cycle it, his loss if he left anything open.

*reboot*

"Non system disk or disk error."

:saddowns:

You left a floppy in the machine? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spent ages trying to figure out why a server cert wasn't appearing in NPS properly before I figured out that it ignores the friendly name completely, and the cert had been installed the whole time.