Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Cars & Coffee this morning, pretty decent turnout. These were my favorites in attendance

Holy poo poo, a Torana A9X look-a-like in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
poo poo that is the States, I just assumed it was Australia without looking at the poster. That's insane.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo, a Torana A9X look-a-like in the US

He had import papers and stuff. Is there a tell that it's not legit?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rhyno posted:

I'm not sure those seats are legit, I think they only have one vertical line of stitching up through the headrest.

edit: actually, there was two trim levels, LXA9XINT and LXA9XINT2. The second one had multiple vertical lines. So not sure based on those photos. :shrug:

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 9, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I'm no expert so I took him at his word. He had a tiny little model of the car on the dash as well. It sounded great too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Memento posted:

Very nice.

This was in the drive-thru at the local on Sunday, grabbed a quick snap as I was heading off. Click for huge.

I've really taken a liking to the Torana sedans lately. They're just super sharp little cars.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

Cars & Coffee this morning, pretty decent turnout. These were my favorites in attendance

These were so goddamned clean. I was in love.

Was that at Bigby Coffee in Georgetown? I meant to get over there but I'm still traveling back from spring break in Siesta Key. Hoping to make the next one with my new RS once it gets here at the end of the month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Was that at Bigby Coffee in Georgetown? I meant to get over there but I'm still traveling back from spring break in Siesta Key. Hoping to make the next one with my new RS once it gets here at the end of the month.

This was up at the Auctions America park in Auburn. We're doing our first real meet at Biggby at the end of the month but we've moved it to the Dupont and Lima location because the parking lot at Georgetown is a crumbling hole.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Rear disc brakes. The LX hatchback doesnt have them - what a lot of people who build lookalikes dont know is the A9X is in fact a UC floorplan as the correct disc braked rear end doesnt fit in a LX and nor does a shitload of suspension detail.

There's a few other tip offs but some of themm are actually resonably easy to fake but with a bit of looking you can tell. Depending on the trim level and factory option the drop tank is a good one to look at - there a few detail items that give away an aftermarket from a real drop tank. All SS Toranas are dual system exhaust to get around the drop tank if they had them or not. The body kit has been faked convincingly over and over again.

It doesnt have the orginal wheels so that's a red flag but not a biggie. They look like resonably rare wheels still

But basically, the way to pick an A9X from a LX SS is you look for UC Torana underpinnings..... if the rear disc brakes and Salisbury diff are there, that's when you get interested.

The one thing that I see that would make me look more carefully is the seats are higher than a normal LX and the paint looks correct. This is a A9X specific thing. Pretty interesting at the least a LX SS escaped to the USA. If that's a real A9X..... holy poo poo thats a mind gently caress, those things are one of the two most wanted Bathurst cars and are seriously expensive. The only one that command more money would be a Phase III GTHO Falcon.

More photos if you have them.

Edit : Actually there is one car that is more collectable than a Phase III GTHO and that's the Phase IV. But LOL just LOL if you will ever extract one of the three survivors from their owners. The green Phase IV especially, that thing is the only road version and lord knows what the value of that one is. Three were built for Bathurst, one was the road pre rpoduction. One was destroyed in rallying, so there are two race built and the aforementioned green road car left.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 9, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have no more pics but I will ask around. We were talking about in a FB chat and the dude has been pretty upfront about it to others.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I have no more pics but I will ask around. We were talking about in a FB chat and the dude has been pretty upfront about it to others.

I would want pics of the rear end / rear brakes. As I said, the Salisbury rear diff is THE big telltale. Rear disc brakes = get REAL interested.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd have more pics but I got swept up in talking to the GTI owners and the Holden dude took off.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Someone is praying a lot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"oh god, please start"

I saw the light

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 9, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Mopar shares a lot with religions. Lots of promises but most of them empty.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This poo poo is crazy... So much butchery and bodgery, it's great :v:

"...this is what they call a Cuban IV, there's no petrol tank, this is the petrol tank..."

https://youtu.be/ZJPqe1baowA

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This poo poo is crazy... So much butchery and bodgery, it's great :v:

"...this is what they call a Cuban IV, there's no petrol tank, this is the petrol tank..."

https://youtu.be/ZJPqe1baowA
It's impressive how it's basically exactly the same as when Clarkson did a Motorworld episode out there 20+ years ago. Also, MCM have really gone up a notch in their production there.

One thing it would have been cool if they'd found/done a clip on David Soul restoring Hemingway's old Chrysler.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

InitialDave posted:

One thing it would have been cool if they'd found/done a clip on David Soul restoring Hemingway's old Chrysler.

These are three names I did not expect to see in the same sentence.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It sounds crazy, but no, really. Ernest Hemingway had a '55 Chrysler New Yorker in Cuba, and David Soul has long been involved in a project to restore it. No joke or bait and switch, yes, it's that Hemingway and that David Soul.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't give up on him, baby.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not even mad. That's amazing.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not even mad. That's amazing.

I bought my daughter a power wheels jeep yesterday. Funny enough, it's easier to haul large objects in my Abarth Cabrio than my Ford CMax, thanks to being able to just drop poo poo into the back seat with the roof down.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

InitialDave posted:

Also, MCM have really gone up a notch in their production there.

because its a sponsored add for fast and furious 8 they just don't tell you outright. Still is an interesting watch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wargames posted:

because its a sponsored add for fast and furious 8 they just don't tell you outright. Still is an interesting watch.
So was the FF8 cars behind the scenes. And the Dominic Corvette video. The Mod Max stuff was clearly sponsored as well.

I suspect it's more that with them getting stuff on TV, they're mindful of what will "sell" well.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

InitialDave posted:

So was the FF8 cars behind the scenes. And the Dominic Corvette video. The Mod Max stuff was clearly sponsored as well.

I suspect it's more that with them getting stuff on TV, they're mindful of what will "sell" well.

I forgot they had the discovery deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're still doing down to earth poo poo, the tv deal just lets them expand their profile to do even more poo poo.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

They're still doing down to earth poo poo, the tv deal just lets them expand their profile to do even more poo poo.

Ah yes, The Cayenne Factor.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

You would be surprised how little they care about getting stuff on TV plus what sells well and more about "Hey we got to do something that for us was cool!". Both of them would rather be working on cars in the driveway truth be told.... but they do have the opportunity to step the game up so yeah, why not?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Why You Should Love Hydrocarbons | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQlbiQj_49o

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vanagoon posted:

Peak :australia:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Vanagoon posted:

Wrong thread and I say this as someone who loves burning fuel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eyebeem posted:

I bought my daughter a power wheels jeep yesterday. Funny enough, it's easier to haul large objects in my Abarth Cabrio than my Ford CMax, thanks to being able to just drop poo poo into the back seat with the roof down.

Abarth stickers on a power wheels jeep? gross.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Abarth stickers on a power wheels jeep? gross.

They're not *that* distantly related...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You would be surprised how little they care about getting stuff on TV plus what sells well and more about "Hey we got to do something that for us was cool!". Both of them would rather be working on cars in the driveway truth be told.... but they do have the opportunity to step the game up so yeah, why not?
It wasn't a criticism.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They're not *that* distantly related...

Both based on a Fiat Panda.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

Both based on a Fiat Panda.

Hello. Is it me you're looking for.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

IronDoge posted:

Hello. Is it me you're looking for.

I JUST TODAY saw those being off loaded at the Jeep dealership next door to my shop wondering what the gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks like someone was trying to sculpt a jeep out of clay and kept loving up, so they kept trimming until it was more or less even.

Guess they missed the lesson where you can add clay to repair errors.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Someone is praying a lot.

Jesus Chrysler can only do so much. The true god of the road is Traffikus, the god of Street and Strip. Blessed be he who keeps the trackday holy.

I have a whole sermon written out if anyone cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The renegade is based on the Fiat 500L/500X platform, which is noticeably larger than that of the 500/Panda etc.

Original 80s Panda 4x4s are the best. :3: