Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish I could find the article where Dave is praised by "legitimate" sports reporters for how good he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Frank Deford loves Dave and he is/was the most respected sportswriter of the past like 40 years.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 9, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Demtor posted:

gently caress JBL forever.

This whole situation makes me want to not support the wwe at all anymore. Dave is right to be pissed. How everyone else is handling the situation is just atrocious.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

CascadeBeta posted:

This whole situation makes me want to not support the wwe at all anymore. Dave is right to be pissed. How everyone else is handling the situation is just atrocious.

Not to bite MRT's gimmick but they've been trash monsters forever

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, if anything the only thing that's different here is ESPN and other outlets/reporters are actually being called out for washing their balls and looking the other way re: taking them to task for not punishing JBL

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Not to bite MRT's gimmick but they've been trash monsters forever

Yeah you have to either sit down and admit they are a garbage company and stop supporting it at all, or just admit you don't mind supporting a garbage company.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I didn't realize how garbage they were. I naively thought it was mostly in the past, even with the Bill DeMott stuff.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Mad Dave was great. I know he has plenty of other stuff that he could get mad about but probably doesn't for various reasons, but that he just sort of let himself go full speed San Jose Steamroller was really special.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

St Evan Echoes posted:

I really thought Dave was about to review the schoolyard fight for a second

Me too!!

Man Dave was great today. The WWE is awful.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CascadeBeta posted:

I didn't realize how garbage they were. I naively thought it was mostly in the past, even with the Bill DeMott stuff.

Imagine a company so lovely that freezing Danielson's contract for months because they wouldn't clear him isn't even in the top 5 of lovely things they've done recently.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Imagine a company so lovely that freezing Danielson's contract for months because they wouldn't clear him isn't even in the top 5 of lovely things they've done recently.

Hell, there's at least an argument that that was PARTLY from a good place in the sense of protecting his health (on top of protecting their image if something bad happened AND stopping ROH or New Japan from profitting off of 'their' star)

On a different note, I was clearing off my computer and found the TIJ with Matt in full kayfabe Broken mode so I loaded it up to listen again for fun, and there's something amusing to me about how the original Broken angle hinged around Matt owning Jeff's IP, given what's happened with the whole Broken character lately.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
New Between The Sheets!

https://soundcloud.com/btspod/ep-89-april-5-11-1999/

Kris & David are guestless this week, discussing the week that was April 5-11, 1999. We talk about the possibility of RAW & Nitro running Atlanta on the same night going down the drain, a pretty fun New Japan Tokyo Dome show featuring Atsushi Onita, Lance Storm getting urine thrown on him, Mr. Corey loving Michael Hayes in Power Pro, and an epic WCW section filled with WCW stupidity at it's finest. This show is filled with greatness so listen now!!!!!

Timestamps:
0:00:00 WWF
1:06:26 Japan: AJPW, NJPW, MUGA, BJPW, IWA Japan, Arsion, JWP, Pride, & UWA
1:59:58 Classic Commercial Break
2:02:46 Housekeeping & The Amazon Game
2:47:43 Mexico: AAA, EMLL, IWRG, & Tijuana
3:02:57 Northeast USA: JAPW, ECW, & MCW
3:40:29 Southern USA (OVW, Memphis Power Pro, & IWAMS) & Potpourri
4:37:16 WCW

To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!

You can also support the show by shopping with our Amazon referral link at TinyURL.com/BTSAmazon — Nothing extra comes out of your wallet, but Amazon gives us a kickback for referring you to them.

To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Refusing to pay for MRIs https://twitter.com/RealSummerWWE/status/849077298393485315

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The last time Emma was on TV was like a month ago! :stare:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I listened to Stone Cold's review of Mania today. I'm not a regular listener so I don't know who that co-host of his is, but when he went on his big rant about how Bray's ring projection thing was stupid it really pissed me off. A lot of people think its stupid because it's dumb and goofy, which I can respect, but thinking it's stupid because its nonsensical for the wrestler to have this magical power and its obviously just some thing the guys in the truck do with projectors that only little children could find exciting is the opinion of an rear end in a top hat. Did he think that Kane's fire in the ringposts was a poo poo gimmick that ruined the character because it was obviously the ring workers stuffing flash paper down in there not Kane actually having fire powers? Considering how much that same guy was fellating Undertaker for having one of the greatest gimmicks and characters in wrestling history later in the show, I'd love to hear him tell Steve that the time Taker crucified him was the dumbest segment in Raw history because obviously that whole thing was the work of WWE's crane operators and effects crew rather than anything Taker was doing.

I'm sick of this double-standard that pundits apply to Bray's gimmick. Say that it doesn't work because he's not over enough or his credibility has been damaged by his poo poo booking or the writing or Bray's performances are failing to sell the character, but don't shovel poo poo about how Bray isn't acceptable to wrestling fans because its too hokey on the same PPV where 70,000 people payed homage to the retirement of a Zombie Wizard and the biggest pop of the night was for a dimension-hopping supervillain and his mind-slave brother.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it's really weird that of all things that's what you took away from it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The maggots were stupid as gently caress though. I've never laughed that hard at wrestling in my life.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

seriously even by supernatural wrestling gimmick standards it was bad. if undertaker or kane had done that exact thing in the past it would be remembered as a joke.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Does anyone have the timestamp for when Dave talks about the JBL stuff?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I really liked the maggots in theory; I just felt like that should have been the finish. Doing it multiple times was done and ruined the effect. If he'd done it once, it distracted Orton and he'd been able to hit Sister Abigail and win it would have been fine. Doing it more than once and having it not lead to the finish was what killed it for me.

Complaining about how you know it's the work of the guy in the truck, that's dumb.

I haven't listened to Stone Cold's podcast in a while, when did he get a cohost? Also the problem you're describing is not uncommon where these unknown cohosts end up talking over the person you're trying to listen to on a show.

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's right at the beginning, maybe 5-10 minutes in.

Cardboard Box posted:

seriously even by supernatural wrestling gimmick standards it was bad. if undertaker or kane had done that exact thing in the past it would be remembered as a joke.

Still better than the time Taker hung Bossman with the help of the Brood, which I bring up because that was at a Wrestlemania.

Also the time Undertaker had his Batman inspired entrance, that's probably the lamest UT thing I can think of.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 10, 2017

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cardboard Box posted:

it's really weird that of all things that's what you took away from it

I thought Steve's critiques of Bray were quite on-point, particularly in the style of his ringwork and overplaying the laughing maniac without getting menace across. I thought Whoever Guy had some smart things to say about Orton and what he should be doing and what he's not capable of doing in the overall structure of the promotion. But the guys' remarks about Bray's worm projections were bullshit because he framed them in terms of wrestling fans being able to see through fantastical gimmicks as a thing the guys in the trucks do instead of a thing the wrestler does in the same show he was jacking off Undertaker for having an all-time great gimmick. There's also how he brought up Bray not "protecting the character," vis a vis social media when he's better at that then almost anyone else on the roster, including loving Kane who advertises his real estate business on his twitter. It's a bullshit double-standard that puts the failures of the Bray Wyatt character on the very concept of characters like him not being viable when there is a mountain of evidence debunking that notion, instead of putting the blame where it belongs, on lovely booking and writing that undermines the character instead of supporting it. I don't like it and it pisses me off.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

Starts about 11 minutes in.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

I haven't listened to Stone Cold's podcast in a while, when did he get a cohost? Also the problem you're describing is not uncommon where these unknown cohosts end up talking over the person you're trying to listen to on a show.

Austin usually invites Wade Keller on for big show reviews.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

KoldPT posted:

Austin usually invites Wade Keller on for big show reviews.

Ahh that's not so bad. I think it was Flair's podcast that had a really boring cohost that talked too much, or maybe Piper's? It certainly happened a lot on some of the MLW shows.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
WOR today didn't cover the Flair incident.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite Undertaker entrance is when he returned at Judgement Day in 2000. (I liked Bikertaker, shut up.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQR9Cs6If8

Edit: Shawn's shorts are still funny.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rovert posted:

Flair incident?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

rovert posted:

What did he do now?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

What did he do now?

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/851289118931771392 The bar staff aren't sources so Meltzer won't go to bat for them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Flair incident?

he got kicked out of a bar in 5 minutes for calling the bartender a fatass

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I thought Steve's critiques of Bray were quite on-point, particularly in the style of his ringwork and overplaying the laughing maniac without getting menace across. I thought Whoever Guy had some smart things to say about Orton and what he should be doing and what he's not capable of doing in the overall structure of the promotion. But the guys' remarks about Bray's worm projections were bullshit because he framed them in terms of wrestling fans being able to see through fantastical gimmicks as a thing the guys in the trucks do instead of a thing the wrestler does in the same show he was jacking off Undertaker for having an all-time great gimmick. There's also how he brought up Bray not "protecting the character," vis a vis social media when he's better at that then almost anyone else on the roster, including loving Kane who advertises his real estate business on his twitter. It's a bullshit double-standard that puts the failures of the Bray Wyatt character on the very concept of characters like him not being viable when there is a mountain of evidence debunking that notion, instead of putting the blame where it belongs, on lovely booking and writing that undermines the character instead of supporting it. I don't like it and it pisses me off.

that's fair. in bray's defense with regards to social media i think that's wwe fully embracing kayfabe being dead and having "reality" associated with their brand, i don't really put that on him.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dunno what exactly you want Dave to say rovery, nor what your point is. But you keep being you

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

Dunno what exactly you want Dave to say rovery, nor what your point is. But you keep being you

This old forum chestnut of yours. Flair is a bully but a source/friend too so he gets the "Ric being Ric" treatment.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nobody cares if he got thrown out a bar

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
He got thrown out of a bar for BULLYING BEHAVIOR (allegedly namecalling the bartender) which is exactly the same as the WWE/JBL situation because

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bryan Alvarez making a pretty clear, and good, argument that Okada is the Most Outstanding Wrestler of 2017 and it isn't even close. It's April and he's already had three five star matches with three different opponents who all wrestle different styles.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
"If Okada has a five star match with Bad Luck Fale ..."

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

rovert posted:

This old forum chestnut of yours. Flair is a bully but a source/friend too so he gets the "Ric being Ric" treatment.

Aside from all the other things like Ric not being in the locker room or a Vince puppet, there is a huge difference for Ric getting thrown out of a bar for a singular verbal altercation and JBL being an ongoing source of workplace harassment.

Yeah, he might not going after Ric that hard in this instance, but acting like the two stories are anywhere close to comparable is ridiculous.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PaybackJack posted:

Aside from all the other things like Ric not being in the locker room or a Vince puppet, there is a huge difference for Ric getting thrown out of a bar for a singular verbal altercation and JBL being an ongoing source of workplace harassment.

Yeah, he might not going after Ric that hard in this instance, but acting like the two stories are anywhere close to comparable is ridiculous.

Hello and welcome to rovert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Sanguinia posted:

I listened to Stone Cold's review of Mania today. I'm not a regular listener so I don't know who that co-host of his is, but when he went on his big rant about how Bray's ring projection thing was stupid it really pissed me off. A lot of people think its stupid because it's dumb and goofy, which I can respect, but thinking it's stupid because its nonsensical for the wrestler to have this magical power and its obviously just some thing the guys in the truck do with projectors that only little children could find exciting is the opinion of an rear end in a top hat. Did he think that Kane's fire in the ringposts was a poo poo gimmick that ruined the character because it was obviously the ring workers stuffing flash paper down in there not Kane actually having fire powers? Considering how much that same guy was fellating Undertaker for having one of the greatest gimmicks and characters in wrestling history later in the show, I'd love to hear him tell Steve that the time Taker crucified him was the dumbest segment in Raw history because obviously that whole thing was the work of WWE's crane operators and effects crew rather than anything Taker was doing.

I'm sick of this double-standard that pundits apply to Bray's gimmick. Say that it doesn't work because he's not over enough or his credibility has been damaged by his poo poo booking or the writing or Bray's performances are failing to sell the character, but don't shovel poo poo about how Bray isn't acceptable to wrestling fans because its too hokey on the same PPV where 70,000 people payed homage to the retirement of a Zombie Wizard and the biggest pop of the night was for a dimension-hopping supervillain and his mind-slave brother.

Sanguinia posted:

i dont care

• Locked thread