Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ApplesandOranges posted:

Make sure it's empty of customers (listen in on them to drive them away).
I love that, true to life, you can harass customers in a coffee shop by looming over them until they get so uncomfortable that they leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think I'm in love with everything to do with Palace 6. The music, the visuals, the plot, the special mechanics. Just amazing all around, first palace to beat out 1 for me.

It's the best dungeon in the game. The following one is okay, but Palace 6 is so strong.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Baal posted:

It's the best dungeon in the game. The following one is okay, but Palace 6 is so strong.

It also helps that I'm very excited about the fact that I'm level 50. One more level and I'll be able to unlock TRUE ULTIMATE POWER.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

We
Are
Not
Worthy

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Also I just started mementos l and I'm in the rare group that loves everything about it. Even the music that loops forever. Cruisin' in the cat van crashin in to shadows is great

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Luna Was Here posted:

Also I just started mementos l and I'm in the rare group that loves everything about it. Even the music that loops forever. Cruisin' in the cat van crashin in to shadows is great

People hate mementos? what the gently caress

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's fine the first couple times. But man is it samey and long.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Things that are bad amount Mementos:

- It's explicitly just loving Tartarus. Again. They didn't even try to obfuscate it with this repeat.
- That music is an 8 second loop comprised of 7 notes in the most dull manner imaginable; it sounds unfinished really.
- The subway design was interesting at first but it's clearly never changing and it got old really quick
- It exists as a place to grind but isn't even good for that since you unlock things to grind on AFTER they stop being useful!
- It doesn't even give good vendor trash as a way to get quick and easy money.
- It can't make up for that with Treasure Demons because there's no Awareness meter AND no random things to break to make them spawn
- Good luck getting Negotiation Cash out of it, since you're so far ahead of the curve for the things you unlock as a matter of requirement you'll be banking on something getting scared and wanting to negotiate out of random chance.
- The third path, at least, combined bad aesthetics with an awful color palette. Oh boy, piss yellow levels and That Music is like a miniature, semi-personalised hell.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Captain Baal posted:

I really liked the music at first but it began to get a little bit annoying, although I could say the same thing with most palaces.
Palace 6 in seemed like an apology for Palace 5. I don't even care that the boss was boring as hell and reflect physical kills any chance it has at beating you.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Things that are good about Mementos:

-The Reaper getting the flu and dying of despair
-Your party members can say cute things as you drive around

Well, that's about it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mementos would be a good way to make it so you don't blow open Confidants if it had benefits beyond putting on auto attack for money while you climb through boring rear end randomly generated floors with bad music. As it stands it's a waste of time that could be better spent on doing social stuff and is unfortunately mandatory, so you MUST climb through its boring rear end structure at some point and Futaba's dungeon scan doesn't trigger consistently enough for you to just R1 through it when you're near the end of the game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dragonatrix posted:

Things that are bad amount Mementos:

- It's explicitly just loving Tartarus. Again. They didn't even try to obfuscate it with this repeat.
- That music is an 8 second loop comprised of 7 notes in the most dull manner imaginable; it sounds unfinished really.
- The subway design was interesting at first but it's clearly never changing and it got old really quick
- It exists as a place to grind but isn't even good for that since you unlock things to grind on AFTER they stop being useful!
- It doesn't even give good vendor trash as a way to get quick and easy money.
- It can't make up for that with Treasure Demons because there's no Awareness meter AND no random things to break to make them spawn
- Good luck getting Negotiation Cash out of it, since you're so far ahead of the curve for the things you unlock as a matter of requirement you'll be banking on something getting scared and wanting to negotiate out of random chance.
- The third path, at least, combined bad aesthetics with an awful color palette. Oh boy, piss yellow levels and That Music is like a miniature, semi-personalised hell.

I've honestly found Treasure Demons WAY the gently caress easier to find in Mementos. Even keeping my alert level high in dungeons they seemed extremely elusive, whereas they can just pop up as encounters in Mementos. The design also DOES change somewhat, eventually. Also I think it's less a place to grind (though it is also that) and more of a place to have sidequests take place.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Momentos felt like it had a point during palaces 1-3 where the experience and money you gained was tangible.
Beyond that it's a lovely roadblock to Confidants and I hate it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's also attached to the worst Confidant, Yuuki, who has some of the necessary benefits so even if you aren't doing it for Mission Gates on other confidants, you're doing it to do more of his lovely storyline where he is the worst so you can get EXP boosts.

It is at least more possible to see treasure demons there, so that's something, I guess.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Baal posted:

It's also attached to the worst Confidant, Yuuki, who has some of the necessary benefits so even if you aren't doing it for Mission Gates on other confidants, you're doing it to do more of his lovely storyline where he is the worst so you can get EXP boosts.

It is at least more possible to see treasure demons there, so that's something, I guess.

You know, I disliked Mishima at first, but finishing his S.Link made him actually kinda okay to me. He's definitely miles better than the worst links in the previous games.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

You know, I disliked Mishima at first, but finishing his S.Link made him actually kinda okay to me. He's definitely miles better than the worst links in the previous games.

He's no persona 3 Moon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone get the scene with Kamoshida's mom after the first dungeon? It's a good bit of worldbuilding to have her crying drunkenly about her son being a monster,, but in my game she had a young man's model. Not sure if that was just an offchance glitch or if every copy is like that, and not sure if it was introduced in the localization or if the jp version had that problem.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Sea Sponge Run posted:

He's no persona 3 Moon

Just moonwalk into the Beef Bowl shop like you own the place.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Sea Sponge Run posted:

He's no persona 3 Moon
angrygourmetking.png

Man, I've really hosed up my time management on this playthrough. I'm in December already and still haven't maxed out all my social stats :eng99: I blame the cat for not letting me do things for extended periods of time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P4 Temperance is bottom of the barrel for me because the only emotion it evokes for me is apathy. I might dislike things like P4 Tower or P3 Moon, but at least they get a reaction.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sea Sponge Run posted:

He's no persona 3 Moon

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I really dislike a few of the slinks in this game but P4 had some on a whole other level of trash. P3's selection is so bizarre and clunky and rough overall that I feel like a lot of the questionable ones wrap back around to charming

Please wait warmly until I finish this game for the official slink review though

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

ApplesandOranges posted:

P4 Temperance is bottom of the barrel for me because the only emotion it evokes for me is apathy.

I'm kinda glad that you can remain apathetic. Temperance wireds me the poo poo out.
The fact that the main benefit of her quitting moonlighting as a maid is to get personal massages by her in a maid outfit seems contradictory.
Also you can romance her. I have no idea why anybody would but it's an option I guess. If her benefits weren't absolutely mandatory for time maximization I would have handled her last.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

Anyone get the scene with Kamoshida's mom after the first dungeon? It's a good bit of worldbuilding to have her crying drunkenly about her son being a monster,, but in my game she had a young man's model. Not sure if that was just an offchance glitch or if every copy is like that, and not sure if it was introduced in the localization or if the jp version had that problem.

I'm... Not 100% sure if you're joking or not, but that's just a drunk guy who constantly thinks he's someone related to the current plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm... Not 100% sure if you're joking or not, but that's just a drunk guy who constantly thinks he's someone related to the current plot.
I only saw that one scene so I thought it was a messed up tl or glitch, I didn't realize it was a running gag. That is a weird joke.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

P4 Temperance is bottom of the barrel for me because the only emotion it evokes for me is apathy. I might dislike things like P4 Tower or P3 Moon, but at least they get a reaction.

Eri is really boring, for sure, but she stands out in my memory because of that. She's so out of place with her problem being "im a stepmom!" in comparison to everyone else and it's just uninteresting in how its dealt with that it makes her more interesting conceptually. It doesn't help the link at all, mind, but it makes her more memorable than Devil Nurse or Saki's Brother Hanged Man at least.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Gorp posted:

I'm kinda glad that you can remain apathetic. Temperance wireds me the poo poo out.

P4 Temperance, not P5.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Like the main thing about P5 is that every S.Link is at least memorable in some way, if only because they all gameplay integrated into them. I'll probably not forget about any of them later, while like half the goddamn P3 S.Links have been lost to time and quite a few P4 ones too. Really, I think P5 might not have the highest highs in the series, but it has the most consistently good cast of S.Links so far.

If this is what they learned from P3 and P4, I have to say I'm dying to see what they learn from P5 when they get around to P6 in a decade or so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want to romance sadayo because she has good hair and just wants to get paid, which is the kind of initiative i like in a girl

edit: also with the engine and stuff hammered out I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly quick turnaround on a P6. The director of P3-P5 is working on a new fantasy RPG now and brought some of the Persona staff with him to that project, but they could get some fresh blood in.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Like the main thing about P5 is that every S.Link is at least memorable in some way, if only because they all gameplay integrated into them. I'll probably not forget about any of them later, while like half the goddamn P3 S.Links have been lost to time and quite a few P4 ones too. Really, I think P5 might not have the highest highs in the series, but it has the most consistently good cast of S.Links so far.

If this is what they learned from P3 and P4, I have to say I'm dying to see what they learn from P5 when they get around to P6 in a decade or so.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Keisuke sure did exist.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Uh hang on I got this uhhh I think he was Fortune and he was... A musician, maybe? I vaguely recall flutes being involved?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Uh hang on I got this uhhh I think he was Fortune and he was... A musician, maybe? I vaguely recall flutes being involved?
you're thinking of the flute girl from p4, keisuke was a doctor

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

He's the SL for the Art/Music/Photo Club, so the dude picked the Music Club.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

I swear I remember him having some sort of music-related dilemma. Maybe it was him deciding between music and doctoring? I remember flute girl, no one can possibly forget flute girl, if only so you remember to never ever take music. Daddy issues drama girl might not be great but it's better than MY SELF ESTEEM girl.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He also is one of the more forgettable S. Links from P3. You can poo poo on Gourmet King all you want, but you see that face and it strikes terror in you. Keisuke just makes you go "gently caress, I have to do this boring rear end Link to get Orpheus Telos?"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I actually literally forgot about him entirely for quite a while. Like a few months ago I was linked to him and was taken completely off-guard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Everything he looked at suffered horrible accidents or cardiac arrest. It's like the dude pissed off a sorceress or something.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Gourmet King is at total bro. Or at the very least the best bro out of the original social links.
Now if you want to talk about walking vacuums of apathy, you can't forget the P3 Star, aka statistically the least viewed social link of all time.

Endorph posted:

It was a trombone, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

I really dislike a few of the slinks in this game but P4 had some on a whole other level of trash. P3's selection is so bizarre and clunky and rough overall that I feel like a lot of the questionable ones wrap back around to charming

Please wait warmly until I finish this game for the official slink review though

But how do you feel about P4's Hanged Man? I think everybody hates him but I never did him so i'm unsure why