Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aliquid posted:

*sees thread title*

*reads eight hundred posts*

*sighs*

Office Pig posted:

you have no one to blame but yourself and the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

crazy cloud posted:

i'm not eating lunch, i'm investing in poop futures

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Counterpoint, Gorsich gets sworn in today

dems should be obstructing everything forever over this, pretty sure stealing a Supreme Court seat by just refusing to hold hearings is unprecedented

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
someone really shouldve given that poor man a raspberry on his lil tum tum as he was getting dragged off that plane

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im a soybean future tycoon

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Gorsuch

And yeah he'll love to vote against anything that hurts Capital

Btw I bet Kennedy retires soon so the only semi sorta maybe swing vote will be gone. I bet he gets replaced by Bill "actually insane" Pryor.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is after it transform from Power Rangers Frankenstein right (100% more horrifying).

quote:

ATLANTA — When Michael Fitzgerald, a local Republican leader, took a break from packing up the signs after a candidate forum here last week, he appeared momentarily flummoxed about the state of his party under President Trump.

Early voting has already begun in a closely watched special House election to replace former Representative Tom Price, who became Mr. Trump’s health secretary, but in the suburbs north of Atlanta, few seem quite sure what exactly the party stands for now.

“There are shades,” Mr. Fitzgerald finally said as he considered what it now meant to be a Republican. “Can I point to an individual and say, ‘Here’s your ideal conservative’?” He did not answer his own question, but he did not need to.

Mr. Trump’s takeover of the Republican Party has blurred the bright-line ideological distinctions that defined the right for the past eight years. Driven more by personal loyalty and a ravenous appetite to win than by any fixed political philosophy, the deal-cutting president has been received warmly by some mainstream conservatives. At the same time, even ideological hard-liners who share the president’s pugilism but not his pragmatism have stuck by him because Mr. Trump has made the right enemies — and gleefully ridiculed them with public insults rarely heard from a president.

These loyalties have upended the Tea Party-versus-establishment divide, which has dominated fratricidal primary seasons since 2010 but increasingly has the air of fins on the back of a car, a quaint relic from an earlier era. With Mr. Trump in charge, the political market for purity on the right has been devalued.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/09/us/politics/as-georgia-vote-nears-gop-asks-if-ideological-purity-matters-anymore.html

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

if thats what theyre willing to say in public then holy fuckin poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

Dems need to send aides to fill every available toilet for a mile radius around the Hill every time McConnell needs to poop. That'll show him

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

crazy cloud posted:

i'm not eating lunch, i'm campaigning for the democraps

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zegermans posted:

Gorsuch

And yeah he'll love to vote against anything that hurts Capital

Btw I bet Kennedy retires soon so the only semi sorta maybe swing vote will be gone. I bet he gets replaced by Bill "actually insane" Pryor.

theres always a swing vote, the kinds of cases people bring to the court are affected by the courts composition

the new swing vote would be uuuuuuh roberts?????? :whitewater:

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Joementum posted:

you'd think after trying it for seventy years now people would have woken up to the limitations of air power

The US can do a real good job of bombing hundreds of thousands of civilians houses and churches, but has trouble when it comes to blowing up anything more complicated than a hospital. It's almost like air war vs guerillas is ineffective!

Also, I was expecting joke answers to my question about probations and negative reinforcement. Day crew has no chill.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!

oh my god i love this

world leaders making fun of tormp publically (esp ones that own a ton of our debt) probably bother him like nothing else

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

yep

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tenderjerk posted:

oh my god i love this

world leaders making fun of tormp publically (esp ones that own a ton of our debt) probably bother him like nothing else

yeah thatll certainly make him inclined to address the debt ceiling

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i have learned nothing n will continue to learn nothing until someone pays me

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Dems need to send aides to fill every available toilet for a mile radius around the Hill every time McConnell needs to poop. That'll show him

operation ninja turtle sewer lair

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Al! posted:

i saw your mom get dragged out of an old country buffet like that BOOM

I only took her there to sprinkle some of her ashes in the buffet IT WAS HER FAVORITE PLACE.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

AmericanBarbarian posted:

The US can do a real good job of bombing hundreds of thousands of civilians houses and churches, but has trouble when it comes to blowing up anything more complicated than a hospital. It's almost like air war vs guerillas is ineffective!

Also, I was expecting joke answers to my question about probations and negative reinforcement. Day crew has no chill.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Squizzle posted:

theres always a swing vote, the kinds of cases people bring to the court are affected by the courts composition

the new swing vote would be uuuuuuh roberts?????? :whitewater:

I'm still hoping Gorsuch is a stealth-Souter

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!

:stare:

i'm glad i was watching taz-mania or w/e was on at the time b/c this would have messed up my child brain

Apr 7, 2003

zegermans posted:

I'm still hoping Gorsuch is a stealth-Souter

I have some bad news for you

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

forgot to ask: did everyone have a fun weekend? anything fun happen?

My hangover

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!

Squizzle posted:

I'm confident he will once someone explains to him what that is

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Good lord how many forms did that thing have

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tingfinder posted:

Me too, but at least it helped me decide that i wanna work with culture. Just gonna design cute animated characters for the rest of my life, so i don't have to think about politics, then get drunk every day until the bombs hit.

Me too but then my mind will wander and I'll start animating the cute characters being murdered horribly and the story will become a psychological horror and deeply political

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

I figure he will never do anything good except possibly by accident, so I just want things to happen that will make him unhappy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

uh mike, i don't mean to be the bearer of bad news bud but nothing has really changed about your party, it's just being honest now

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Well, this was a runway, which is a pretty simple target except that unless you secure the airfield with ground troops, you can't prevent it from being rebuilt. It's why it's surprising to see people still thinking that we can bomb our way to victory even after watching it fail dozens of times.

Even Ronald Reagan knew this when he bravely fought a war to prevent airfield construction.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Iron Crowned posted:

Do you think the other justices will make Gorsuch the official Scotus bitch cause he only got 52 Votes to confirm? Trump would.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

everyone knows that if you dont have sandworm cavalry ur fuct

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Augus posted:

Me too but then my mind will wander and I'll start animating the cute characters being murdered horribly and the story will become a psychological horror and deeply political

Well we could always use more Paranoia Agent, honestly

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Do you think the other justices will make Gorsuch the official Scotus bitch cause he only got 52 Votes to confirm? Trump would.

only until they concur with him in a case, probably.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, we made it through the weekend without dying!

gently caress YES

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Philthy posted:

Holy poo poo, we made it through the weekend without dying!

gently caress YES

Alcohol acts as a preservative!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

So was there even a conversation before this? It looks like he just walked up and grabbed the guy.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

lol how is united even a thing like get up and book another flight for real

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

HURRY UP PLEASE IT'S TIME

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Social media and discussion forums are the most prevalent form of modern discourse.
The President of the United States is an illiterate reality television star and billionaire real estate mogul.
Said President uses a social media platform to both issue decrees and insult political and personal enemies alike.
This President was elected with the smaller share of the popular vote, in an election widely believed to be decided by foreign actors.
Said election was most likely compromised my cyber-attacks.
Broad-based surveillance and metadata collection are now taken for granted as a general part of American life.
Warfare is heavily based around remotely operated drones.
Modern culture is almost fully integrated with the internet, resulting in the formation of unbreakable echo chambers.
Corporate power and wealth inequality are at all time highs.
Automation dominates manufacturing industries, and now threatens to destroy jobs in many other industries as well.
The 24 hour news cycle has dominated our worldview.
Virtual and augmented reality interfaces are becoming commonplace.
Electronically produced music dominates the pop music genre.
Sub-cultural clades rise and fall at an unprecedented pace.
Internet propaganda wars decide the fate of entire nations.
Memetic warfare is a thing that happens now I guess.
Soft AI has become commonplace, with Hard AI seemingly on the horizon.
Space travel and exploration as private industries are budding.
Climate change threatens to change everything.
Media consumption is the national pastime.
Racial and religious tensions are the highest they've been in decades.
The urban-rural divide has become nearly unshakable.
The USD has become a fiat currency based on debt, and in an attempt to combat this, cryptocurrencies have become more and more commonplace in online transactions.
You can buy nearly anything over the internet and have it shipped directly to your doorstep.
Religious extremism is prevalent in every country and corner of the globe.
Private civilian drones and remotely operated robots, while still rare, are becoming more and more a part of the cultural zeitgeist.
Conspiracy theory is a popular past-time.
News media is not only extremely biased, but openly so.
Everyone is a political junkie.
Obesity and inactivity among the populace are at an all time high.
Cash has become a rarity, with nearly every transaction occurring via plastic or digital authentication.
Drug use is also extremely commonplace, both in a legal and illegal context.
Mega-cities are a reality.
We seem to be on the brink of World War 3.
Marxism and Anarchism have seen a resurgence among the youth on the left.
Right wing youth, on the other hand, are generally either Neonazis or brainwashed religious zealots.
We are locked in a forever war.
Nearly everyone carries a smartphone capable of accessing the internet, and by extension almost all information known to man.
Mass incarceration and slave labor are ubiquitous.

We have truly entered the Dark Cyberpunk Timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Conservatism definitely isn't a brain disease, I say. Now I'll check out my "reform conservatives" Twitter list while taking a big drink of water....

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/851442886772228097

• Locked thread