Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

seravid posted:

No, it's mostly gray. As usual.

Turn on your monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He stood alone at Gjallerbru

gently caress YES

Omg I missed this. Amazing.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CelticPredator posted:

I didn't know Snyder patented slow motion stylish shots.
Ehhh, I mean I definitely lack the eye for this type of stuff, but if you can think of a better comparison than Snyder for what's happening at 1:52 or so on that trailer, I'm all ears.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Killing some valkyries, it looks like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm just tried of everything here being compared to Snyder.

And when I say everything, I said it like Gary Oldman.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He stood alone at Gjallerbru

gently caress YES

See that's what I mean. Great moment in the comics, you see it on film and it's like what the hell is that?

Electromax posted:

Killing some valkyries, it looks like.

This part looks cool.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

GotG uses its ideas to very lame effect. An example is how the heroes are dangerous outlaws, but they end up fighting to defend the blandly liberal Good Planet that they have no real stake in. All of its ideas and themes were executed far better by MoS. This is partly because GotG is a decent-looking movie, but MoS tells a much better story with its visuals.

Outcast hero:

(the semi-recurring joke about his nom de guerre is funny)

Villain expresses loss:

(it's in voiceover)

Villain declares his intent to destroy a planet:

Yeah, those ideas are expressed just fine. Different movies do things differently!!! Oh, no!!! Humorous movie expresses its character humorously while self-serious movie does not!!! What?!?

Also, yes, the outcast characters fight and risk their lives to protect the good planet they have no personal stake in. That really seems to stick in your craw. Maybe just get over it?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Codependent Poster posted:

Turn on your monitor.

Hilarious, good sir. Most of trailer showcasing strange new worlds is shot in an Earth-like overcast, with colors muted and shadows so light there's no black anywhere. Once again, Marvel takes an interesting premise and makes it look as dull as humanly possible.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That looks like fun. I like the Thor movies, they've got this thing about them where they feel different enough but still fit with the rest of the MCU stuff. And it looks like they're going hard into the Asgard is just really technologically advanced as opposed to mystical sort of thing with spaceships and stuff which I like.

Immigrant Song in a trailer is cheating though. :colbert: That will always hype me up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
"God, this movie is so ugly!"

*posts a bunch of great looking screenshots*

"See?"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, those ideas are expressed just fine. Different movies do things differently!!! Oh, no!!! Humorous movie expresses its character humorously while self-serious movie does not!!! What?!?

You seem to be missing that those shots come from the same dramatic contexts - both Quill's and Superman's arrest are humorous. Those two pairs of shots with Zod and Ronan meanwhile are both serious scenes with promise of death and apocalypse. It's not a question of an action-comedy and a superhero epic doing things differently.

Phylodox posted:

Also, yes, the outcast characters fight and risk their lives to protect the good planet they have no personal stake in. That really seems to stick in your craw. Maybe just get over it?

It's a very lame conflict, for all the reasons mentioned. It's a very bland setting that represent very little beyond being bright and liberal, and thus Good. Them fighting to protect Xandar shows that despite all the potentials of a sci-fi setting, the creators went for the least interesting conflict possible. The comics had way more impressive setpieces.

Honestly, it looks rather decent, like GotG.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 10, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
BravestOfTheLamps do you literally have autism? You seem utterly incapable of reading things on a non-literal level. I bet you even think a cigar is sometimes just a cigar.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

seravid posted:

Hilarious, good sir. Most of trailer showcasing strange new worlds is shot in an Earth-like overcast, with colors muted and shadows so light there's no black anywhere. Once again, Marvel takes an interesting premise and makes it look as dull as humanly possible.

Maybe you just need your eyes checked? Thanks for posting images contrary to what you're saying!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

You seem to be missing that those shots come from the same dramatic contexts - both Quill's and Superman's arrest are humorous. Those two pairs of shots with Zod and Ronan meanwhile are both serious scenes with promise of death and apocalypse. It's not a question of an action-comedy and a superhero epic doing things differently.

Yeah, and both movies do what they do effectively. Guardians of the Galaxy is a straight-up action comedy. Its humour is up-front. Man of Steel is se-e-e-e-e-e-erious, so even its humorous moments (the ones that don't stick out like a sore thumb, at least) are low-key. The scene of Superman in handcuffs isn't laugh out loud funny. It's "hmmm, yes, quite absurd" funny.

quote:

It's a very lame conflict, for all the reasons mentioned. It's a very bland setting that represent very little beyond being bright and liberal, and thus Good. Them fighting to protect Xandar shows that despite all the potentials of a sci-fi setting, the creators went for the least interesting conflict possible.

No, it's a fine conflict. It would be lame if the Guardians were likewise bland and bright and good, but they're not. They're outcasts. Xandar is what they've been cast out from. Rather than be bitter and angry about it, they choose to risk their lives to save it, because, despite its flaws, it's home to families and people and innocents and all kinds of good stuff, embodied by Corpsman Dey and his happy family.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Phylodox posted:

"God, this movie is so ugly!"

*posts a bunch of great looking screenshots*

"See?"

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe you just need your eyes checked? Thanks for posting images contrary to what you're saying!

I genuinely look forward to you guys telling me what's great about those shots.

Also, compare the Karl Urban shot with the comic posted above.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The person I feel worst for in Guardians is Quill's Grandpa. Holy poo poo, he's at his daughter's death bed and his grandson runs away and then is literally gone, which he likely feels personally responsible for.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wouldn't have shot that guy with the two machine guns at that angle. You can barely make out the second gun since they both blend in with his armor.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

seravid posted:

I genuinely look forward to you guys telling me what's great about those shots.

Also, compare the Karl Urban shot with the comic posted above.

What?

That's pretty close without going, like, full-on Sin City and doing hyper-stylization, which I'm fine with them not doing.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I wouldn't have shot that guy with the two machine guns at that angle. You can barely make out the second gun since they both blend in with his armor.

Didn't even notice the second gun until this post.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think Thor Ragnarok looks great but I'm not sure how much of it is because of Immigrant Song. Let's remember what it did to Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, and both movies do what they do effectively.

Well as I pointed out, the scenes of Ronan are very unimpressive. GotG is an adequate movie that's eclipsed by good action-comedies - movies like Fifth Element and Hot Fuzz that are both much funnier and much more serious at the same time. GotG's humour has that MCU problem where it tends to extremely low effort despite being in a vast sci-fi/fantasy universe, and it's cringe-worthy to boot because it depends a lot on bad dialogue. So a prisoner declares his intent to rape Quill, but Groot puts his fingers up the prisoner's nose and Rocket declares that Quill is their bitch. It doesn't even reach the heights climbed by the Ratchet & Clank games.

Phylodox posted:

No, it's a fine conflict. It would be lame if the Guardians were likewise bland and bright and good, but they're not. They're outcasts. Xandar is what they've been cast out from. Rather than be bitter and angry about it, they choose to risk their lives to save it, because, despite its flaws, it's home to families and people and innocents and all kinds of good stuff, embodied by Corpsman Dey and his happy family.

That would be interesting if there was any meaningful conflict between the Guardians and the Xandar - the extent of their relationship is that four of the five Guardians were arrested there. It's no Wreck-It Ralph.

e:

Phylodox posted:

That's pretty close without going

Not really. Like the comic panel has Skurge as a dominant figure head-on, with monochromatic colours and over-the-top gunflares to emphasize the mood. The trailer is two thirds serene sunset sky with a constipated-looking Skurge.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 10, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Well, all photography, if properly exposed, hovers around 18% grey, so I guess they're doing OK.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Well as I pointed out, the scenes of Ronan are very unimpressive. GotG is an adequate movie that's eclipsed by good action-comedies - movies like Fifth Element and Hot Fuzz that are both much funnier and much more serious at the same time. GotG's humour has that MCU problem where it tends to extremely low effort despite being in a vast sci-fi/fantasy universe, and it's cringe-worthy to boot because it depends a lot on bad dialogue. So a prisoner declares his intent to rape Quill, but Groot puts his fingers up the prisoner's nose and Rocket declares that Quill is their bitch. It doesn't even reach the heights climbed by the Ratchet & Clank games.

You just keep saying things like "unimpressive" without actually providing any actual content. Everything you say basically ends up translating to "I don't like it". Which is fine, but stop pretending that somehow makes it objectively better or worse than anything in the entire world.

quote:

That would be interesting if there was any meaningful conflict between the Guardians and the Xandar - the extent of their relationship is that four of the five Guardians were arrested there. It's no Wreck-It Ralph.

Yeah, you really do seem incapable of grasping any kind of nuance. Xandar represents everything the Guardians have been denied, and Rocket's first scene is used to be emblematic of their bitterness towards that, but because Xandar didn't, like, literally gently caress them up somehow, it's boring. Whatever, dude.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

That's one of my least favorite songs of all time, and using that song in a trailer or anything commercial is so cliche. The movie itself looks OK, and I like the cast a lot, but drat, that trailer sucks.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Phylodox posted:

What?

That's pretty close without going, like, full-on Sin City and doing hyper-stylization, which I'm fine with them not doing.

Yes, we wouldn't want "style" ruining our comic book space adventure.

Still looking forward to you explaining me how/why the shots I posted are great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wouldn't call them great, but saying that it's not colourful is just dishonest.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

seravid posted:

Yes, we wouldn't want "style" ruining our comic book space adventure.

Still looking forward to you explaining me how/why the shots I posted are great.

This movie looks like it's got style out the rear end. Just maybe not your kind of style, I guess? The screen captures you posted show good composition and colour (despite what you said, the use of colour to make certain things "pop" is great). Not everything has to be super-contrasty. Maybe that's your personal taste, but it's not everyone's.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

parallelodad posted:

The person I feel worst for in Guardians is Quill's Grandpa. Holy poo poo, he's at his daughter's death bed and his grandson runs away and then is literally gone, which he likely feels personally responsible for.

It's OK, he still has his loving wife May and their nephew they both take care of.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grendels Dad posted:

It's OK, he still has his loving wife May and their nephew they both take care of.

And that's why they renamed him Peter! Of course!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Phylodox posted:

This movie looks like it's got style out the rear end. Just maybe not your kind of style, I guess? The screen captures you posted show good composition and colour (despite what you said, the use of colour to make certain things "pop" is great). Not everything has to be super-contrasty. Maybe that's your personal taste, but it's not everyone's.

CineD needs a one-question gate before you can post. It should say "I understand that people's tastes vary, and things I dislike are not automatically without value". If you don't check the checkbox, you can't enter.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

CineD needs a one-question gate before you can post. It should say "I understand that people's tastes vary, and things I dislike are not automatically without value". If you don't check the checkbox, you can't enter.

THIS IDEA IS BAD AND poo poo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I agree with Hundu that the one particular shot of the "he stands alone" guy was lovely, but the rest of it looked good (if a little green-screeny, but the movie isn't out yet and that kind of thing generally improves).

I don't think "why are these shots good" is very helpful. It's better to say why a shot is good or bad, then to haughtily ask someone else to prove the reverse.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...I love this shot in particular:

Look at the framing on this motherfucker! The soldiers are in the foreground and dominate the frame, but it's clear that they're overmatched by Hela just by the way it's composed. Her nonchalant stance, the fact that everything in the frame is directing the eye towards her, the light streaming down around her, even the more colourful background draws the eye towards her. That's a good shot!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

seravid posted:

Once again, Marvel takes an interesting premise and makes it look as dull as humanly possible.

This is one of the recurring jokes of What We Do in the Shadows, which is wonderful. Like, you have a masquerade ball of vampires, witches, and zombies, and it's not the nightclub from Blade 2, it's just a bunch of folks hanging out in a rented-out rec center.

Not that we see it being played for a joke in the trailer, nor does it seem quite ordinary enough to work as a joke. But I'm holding out hope that this thing is less knock-off Guardians than it seems, and that Marvel is less inclined to advertise it being like the movie that made $6 million and more inclined to present it like the one that made more than a hundred times that.

That said, the stuff with Cate Blanchett going all Maleficent does look pretty, and the "We know each other! He's a friend from work" bit gives me some hope.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is one of the recurring jokes of What We Do in the Shadows, which is wonderful. Like, you have a masquerade ball of vampires, witches, and zombies, and it's not the nightclub from Blade 2, it's just a bunch of folks hanging out in a rented-out rec center.

Yeah.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd be happiest if the tone was more like the short that they'd released about a half year ago :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_v76eV55B8

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Discarding my opinion by painting me as a contrast extremist who opposes "everyone's" taste is very cool of you.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'll have to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

seravid posted:

I'll have to check it out.

It's great, a real gem of a movie.

• Locked thread