Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Can't progress on chin ups further than 3x10 with 10kg weight, if I go to 12.5kg I can only get 8 reps on my second set, been stuck here for weeks. Should I try reverse pyramid sets, maybe start with 6 reps at 15, and then move to 8 for 12.5 and then 10 for 10?

Help we swolefriends, you're my only hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Steroids or salami, it is your choice

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

I wish steroids were available in salami form. :(

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:stare:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
have u thought about 11kg or losing weight urself?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

JFairfax posted:

have u thought about 11kg or losing weight urself?

I'm not quite twink weight, I'm trying to get bigger. Actually I might get some micro plates to take to the gym with me for this. Thanks! :)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i wish someone woulda told me when I was a young goon that you can't ever get rid of fat cells. Those fuckers just shrink when you lose weight but they're still there, just waiting for you to make a single mistake like the Predator waiting for Arnold and his men to fall into a trap

I imagine that's why its harder for some people to keep lean, cuz they used to be heavier at some point. While, if you've always been in shape or naturally lean, there aint many fat cells around to make you get fat in the first place. You have to gain a lot of weight for new fat cells to form which is why i imagine that naturally lean folk can eat quite a bit but as long as they don't do it over a long period of time they will just stay lean

While a guy who used to be soft or fat will balloon up real quick

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

i wish someone woulda told me when I was a young goon that you can't ever get rid of fat cells. Those fuckers just shrink when you lose weight but they're still there, just waiting for you to make a single mistake like the Predator waiting for Arnold and his men to fall into a trap

I imagine that's why its harder for some people to keep lean, cuz they used to be heavier at some point. While, if you've always beein shape or naturally lean, there aint many fat cells around to make you get fat in the first place. You have to gain a lot of weight for new fat cells to form which is why i imagine that naturally lean folk can eat quite a bit but as long as they don't do it over a long period of time they will just stay lean

While a guy who used to be soft or fat will balloon up real quick

I know that feeling. I used to be almost 100kg when I was a teen, hit 58kg at my lowest and am now at 67kg, trying to add muscle and worrying that it's all just fat.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

I'm not quite twink weight, I'm trying to get bigger. Actually I might get some micro plates to take to the gym with me for this. Thanks! :)

this is so simple you probably already tried, but have you tried going to 12.5 and starting with less reps? Like do it 7 -7 -7. next time do 7-7-8, 7-8-8, etc until you slowly build up. I've always felt like pull ups were a thing you can gently caress yourself over if you go close to amrap on the first set and tire yourself out

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

Can't progress on chin ups further than 3x10 with 10kg weight, if I go to 12.5kg I can only get 8 reps on my second set, been stuck here for weeks. Should I try reverse pyramid sets, maybe start with 6 reps at 15, and then move to 8 for 12.5 and then 10 for 10?

Do a better rep scheme like 3x5 or heavy singles.

If you want to bodybuild use machine pulldowns or whatever so it's easier to get the right weights.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zzulu posted:

Are steroids vegetarian

asking for a friend

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Steroids are everythingtarian.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I heard steroids are organic as well, so they can't be bad for you!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
just eat one costco rotisserie chicken per night

imho

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cows take steroids and they're (usually) vegetarians.

naem
May 29, 2011

Chinatown posted:

just eat one costco rotisserie chicken per night

imho

I would literally never stop pooping

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

naem posted:

I would literally never stop pooping

sounds delightful

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

sassassin posted:

Do a better rep scheme like 3x5 or heavy singles.

If you want to bodybuild use machine pulldowns or whatever so it's easier to get the right weights.

Yeah, might bear that in mind, my main focus is hypertrophy right now rather than pure strength, so I'm doing the 5/3/1 BBB.

Also today is leg day. The 5x10 deadlifts are so brutal I've switched to Romanian dead lifts, which don't seem to wreck me quite as much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You'll get some nice hams from romanians

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

I like hams.

More than salami!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Controversial.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zzulu posted:

Can confirm that this is The Truth

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

Yeah, might bear that in mind, my main focus is hypertrophy right now rather than pure strength, so I'm doing the 5/3/1 BBB.

That's a powerlifting routine.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Pesmerga posted:

This sentence makes no sense at all

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Pesmerga posted:

I'm pretty much the weighted chin up boss, but i dont find that the reps scale well when i add more weight. The reps drop off quickly, especially after the first set. If I stay in the 5reps and less range I can keep adding weight. At higher weights, I'll do lots of sets of 3-5. For lighter days, I'll aim for sets of 8. Not sure how/if this fits in your regime.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

sassassin posted:

That's a powerlifting routine.

Really? I've read the book and it was recommended as a way of putting on a lot of muscle mass rather than being purely strength focused - do the 5/3/1 sets, and then the 5x10 work at 60% of your training max. Have I completely misunderstood it?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
GENERALLY Speaking, doing low rep/high weight is almost entirely for strength development. It's not like you won't gain muscle doing 5 /3/1 tho and if you do stuff in the 10 rep range as well which seems like you are, then it's fine

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

It's primarily powerlifting but gently caress it.

I always figured if you can bench alot you probably gonna look like you can bench alot.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Acelerion posted:

I always figured if you can bench alot you probably gonna look like you can bench alot.

I dont know about benching, but I've seen dudes who can lift the poo poo out of deadlifts and squats and they didn't really look like they went to the gym at all

Some people are just insanely strong without having bulgin muscles

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

GENERALLY Speaking, doing low rep/high weight is almost entirely for strength development. It's not like you won't gain muscle doing 5 /3/1 tho and if you do stuff in the 10 rep range as well which seems like you are, then it's fine

True, I figured the 5/3/1 set was for the strength base and the BBB bit (high reps/lower weight) would constitute hypertrophy.

Acelerion posted:

That'd be nice, although I fee like I could look bigger for the amount I can lift, but that's body dysmorphia for you! :frogbon:

But yeah, for chin-ups progression I'm going to follow everyone here, reduce the number of repetitions and see if that works better.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zzulu posted:

I dont know about benching, but I've seen dudes who can lift the poo poo out of deadlifts and squats and they didn't really look like they went to the gym at all

Some people are just insanely strong without having bulgin muscles

A big part of that is weight loss though

Like it doesn't really matter how big your muscles are if you look like a walking chicken nugget

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The one true way to build muscles is to go to failure

Go to failure in every set, every exercise, when you're bulking, when you're pooping, go to failure in every aspect of life

Of course this brings its own set of problems because your immune system is going to go "fuuuuuck this" but you'll die loving swole like Mike Mentzer

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

True, I figured the 5/3/1 set was for the strength base and the BBB bit (high reps/lower weight) would constitute hypertrophy.

If your focus is hypertrophy as you say then a powerlifting routine with generic "size" volume thrown in the end is an odd way to go about it.

If strength is your focus but you also care about being big then that routine is the right idea.

What I'm saying is do steroids and a proper split.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sassassin posted:

What I'm saying is do steroids

I got the message

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i had a dream about being at the gym last night

all the benches were occupied and i got real salty

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Chinatown posted:

i had a dream about being at the gym last night

all the benches were occupied and i got real salty

sorry about your nightmare :angel:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

MikeCrotch posted:

A big part of that is weight loss though

Like it doesn't really matter how big your muscles are if you look like a walking chicken nugget
It matters to me!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ruzihm posted:

sorry about your nightmare :angel:

its bench day today :twisted:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chinatown posted:

its bench day today :twisted:

lol implying there are days other than bench day #gainz #brolife #bodydysmorphia #pump #gtl #gymrat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

lol implying there are days other than bench day #gainz #brolife #bodydysmorphia #pump #gtl #gymrat

well i mean i do incline and close grip bench on other days

always be benching