Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

iKon posted:

I solo queue'd competitive Overwatch for a while, stupidly thinking that if I just got to the next tier the players would finally stop being toxic assholes. It's me, I'm the idiot. Spoiler: they're all loving terrible even at the very high tiers.

Which tier are we talking? I found that the guys in diamond are usually pretty chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i played overwatch like 3 times and felt bad about spending money on it

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
They are usually chill, and you're right, it does definitely get better the higher up you go. But even above that I've run into people that didn't feel they were being listened to so they casually threw the match. And there's absolutely nothing built into the system to discourage people from doing so (besides SR loss). Unless that's changed with whatever season they're on now.

I should probably go back to it and just stick to Quick Play, because realistically I'm not going to six stack to get the ideal Overwatch experience.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I want to like overwatch but it's not fun to play without friends, even in quick play.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

OK so a little bit of derpface still going on but the animations did get cleaned up. People actually close their mouths and lips when they're done speaking so it's not teeth all the time. They also appear to have fixed some of the most heinous lines- in the "my face is tired" dialogue Addison does a little frustrated facepalm while pinching the bridge of her nose now. Combat definitely still needs cleanup, especially just coming off of ME3. It's pretty boss that nova scatters enemies but I'm used to stuff actually dying when it gets shotgunned to the face.

RIP Claymore

I thought that Addison just had a touch of the 'tism and just went back to colonizing and teaching alien women how to loooove.

I mean there's a lot janky with the game but for someone you speak to maybe 3 times they caught a lot of heat for that.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
PS4 remote play is really good.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Two Finger posted:

Pretty much the only viable combat strategy is melee everything with the Vanguard shield drain on melee perk. It's hosed given that me3 had so many options. Oh and get a vanquisher

I feel kinda bad about this cause it's basically what I did in ME3. Though I was a Batarian and would shoot a net at baddies and power fist their face off so it was kinda expected of me rather than being the whole crux of winning a match.

It was especially satisfying punching those sneaky cloaker types or the big rear end banshees in the face.

Also Overwatch is alright but I haven't played in a while as the devs are listening to the absolute wrong people when it comes to balance so welp.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Capn Beeb posted:

I feel kinda bad about this cause it's basically what I did in ME3. Though I was a Batarian and would shoot a net at baddies and power fist their face off so it was kinda expected of me rather than being the whole crux of winning a match.

It was especially satisfying punching those sneaky cloaker types or the big rear end banshees in the face.

Also Overwatch is alright but I haven't played in a while as the devs are listening to the absolute wrong people when it comes to balance so welp.

Yeah but the difference in me3 was that to one degree or another anything was viable. In Andromeda guns except sniper rifles are garbage, tech and biotic explosions do gently caress all damage, and powers are not damaging enough in their own right. Leaving punching and snipers as your only real options.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
ELI5: Persona hype.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

ELI5: Persona hype.

I guess the Persona series is legitimately good. P5 looks fun. But a game that takes 80-100 hours to beat the main plot is a serious negative.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Persona 4 was goon hyped creep anime poo poo

I tried it, also repetitive as gently caress

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the persona series is basically the one jrpg i can actually enjoy playing these days

lots of side stuff to do, battles are way more status-driven then normal rpgs, also theres like 100+ persona to catch or create by mixing them

its beyond anime but the games are fun and the music is usually really well done.

p5 is really good so far imo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

so far i beat the gym teacher who was molesting the girls at school and beating up the volleyball team and i cleaned my room

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the persona series is basically the one jrpg i can actually enjoy playing these days

lots of side stuff to do, battles are way more status-driven then normal rpgs, also theres like 100+ persona to catch or create by mixing them

its beyond anime but the games are fun and the music is usually really well done.

p5 is really good so far imo

Are personas like Pokémon? You can combine them into new stats or whatever for combat?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I played a SMT game on the DS that was alright, it was a space themed one, it was only kind of anime, instead of super anime. I tried P4 Arena, and I don't even know WTF that was trying to be.

I would play P5 but I'm a good two or three years out from catching up to the current crop of games. Also lol at 100 hours of playtime.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

cowboy elvis posted:

Are personas like Pokémon? You can combine them into new stats or whatever for combat?

you combine them to make new pokemon and you can transfer the spells you want

also you can resummon whatever ones you want again by paying some cash

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

don't forget to go to school, gym practice, and focus on your social connections in persona!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you combine them to make new pokemon and you can transfer the spells you want

also you can resummon whatever ones you want again by paying some cash

That's cool. What's the turn-based combat like? Do I have to min/max to beat poo poo or can I enjoy stuff without all that attention to detail?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone else playing Steel Division: Normandy '44? poo poo's real good, yo.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Anyone else kind of amped for Yooka-Laylee? Banjo-Kazooie style collectathon by old Rare developers. I love those lovely games from the N64 era so I'm ready for a new one.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

cowboy elvis posted:

That's cool. What's the turn-based combat like? Do I have to min/max to beat poo poo or can I enjoy stuff without all that attention to detail?

basically as you beat enemies you'll find out what weaknesses they have (fire weak to ice, etc) and it tells you when you fight them what spells work after you figure it out

no random battles, you can avoid them if you want, but you do need to somewhat level. everyone has a meele weapon and a gun, and their own persona with spells- theres a fire user, ice user, electric user, etc. main character is special because they're a persona trainer and can switch and collect them all.

also if you use a spell an enemy is weak to, they get stunned and you get to do another attack. stun all enemies, and you hold them up. you can do an all-out attack by pressing x, which everyone on your team waffle stomps the mobs, or you can demand they join you as a pokemon or you can demand money/items from them

also if you want everyone to just do melee attacks and blast through the fight asap you can press option and it'll fast forward to the end

i min/maxed in persona 4 golden- got all the persona, maxed out all the social links in a playthrough, collected all the cards, killed the secret bosses and read all the books and caught all the fish and did every sidequest. i still dont have the plat trophy

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ok that sounds fun. I will buy anime personal game next week and will spend five years beating it.

Thank you, n4butts

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Sounds interesting. I'll hold off to see if Andromeda's story pays off :negative:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

cowboy elvis posted:

Ok that sounds fun. I will buy anime personal game next week and will spend five years beating it.

Thank you, n4butts

np enjoy your anime high school simulator

be forewarned that the first 5-6 hours or so is pretty much handholding story stuff. it opens up way more after that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

np enjoy your anime high school simulator

be forewarned that the first 5-6 hours or so is pretty much handholding story stuff. it opens up way more after that.

Cool.

I still wanna play Nier: Automata. Sniper Ghost Warrior 4 or whatever comes out soon. I hope it's good.

Too many bideo james

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bengy81 posted:

I tried P4 Arena, and I don't even know WTF that was trying to be.

it was ArcSys (who make BlazBlu and Guilty Gear) making a more beginner-friendly fighting game. Story mode was hilariously bad but it was a legit fighting game that was actually really fun and got a sequel

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not gonna tell you that Persona 4 and 5 ain't anime but they're not nearly as egregious about the pedophilia, shrieking girls and gross poo poo that anime fans are into.

I'm 20 hours into Persona 5 and just got to the second dungeon. So far I don't think the characters are as charming as in 4 but the game is definitely a lot more polished.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

I'm 20 hours into Persona 5 and just got to the second dungeon. So far I don't think the characters are as charming as in 4 but the game is definitely a lot more polished.

im almost done in the second dungeon and i agree. Game is gorgeous.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

heres one of the persona you get btw

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Two Finger posted:

Yeah but the difference in me3 was that to one degree or another anything was viable. In Andromeda guns except sniper rifles are garbage, tech and biotic explosions do gently caress all damage, and powers are not damaging enough in their own right. Leaving punching and snipers as your only real options.

Right, every class could hold their own with their own bag of tricks. I miss games like that :(

Also biotic explosions were loving awesome and it saddens me to know they're useless now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

fyi there's a Persona 5 thread

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nice.

So standard RPG stuff? Cool side quests and main quests?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

fyi there's a Persona 5 thread

fyi gently caress posting in games

cowboy elvis posted:

Nice.

So standard RPG stuff? Cool side quests and main quests?

yeah, lots of side stuff and statbuilding poo poo to do.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cool. What other dope stuff or good to know info should I know about P5?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

cowboy elvis posted:

Cool. What other dope stuff or good to know info should I know about P5?

you can hit the touch button during the game to see what other paths people took, who they hung out with or what they spent their free time doing

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you can hit the touch button during the game to see what other paths people took, who they hung out with or what they spent their free time doing

Neat.

This is a good Persona 5 GiP thread we have going.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Buca di Bepis posted:

I'm not gonna tell you that Persona 4 and 5 ain't anime but they're not nearly as egregious about the pedophilia, shrieking girls and gross poo poo that anime fans are into.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

:mensch:

e: whoops, dunno how i missed this gem

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so far i beat the gym teacher who was molesting the girls at school and beating up the volleyball team and i cleaned my room

mmhmm, tell me more about how it isnt creepy as gently caress anime bullshit

Kung Fu Fist Fuck fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 10, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

cuz someone other than me liked it, ergo its good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its beyond anime