Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Regy Rusty posted:

After all those recent videos about improving the goomba stairs strategy he just goes and bypasses it entirely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQaZ7PMdVVE

holy poo poo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Here's a play-by-play of what I do to collect the 5th secret coinless. First, I grab a fake bob-omb and use it to clone that bob-omb as it respawns. I then kill 2 of the 3 goombas near the launching point, since their unloading would affect which object slot I end up holding during the launch. Then I release the bob-omb so that it walks towards the launching point. Next I pick up the nearby cork box and place it right at the launching point. I linger a bit to allow the bob-omb to walk closer (note: I could have avoided this step by dropping the bob-omb closer initially, but since the cork box is on a timer anyway, it wouldn't save any time). Then I make my way over to the water bomb spawner on the other side of the course, and spawn a water bomb. Without doing this, a water bomb would spawn while I navigated to the tree, ultimately messing up which object slot I end up holding during the launch. By spawning a water bomb now, I make it so that the next time I'm close to the water bomb spawner, it will go through its refractory period first rather than instantly spawning a new water bomb. I then ignite the fuse of a bob-omb. This bob-omb's coin will unload right after I pick up the fake cork box, letting me hold a more ideal object slot. Then I generate speed by BLJing on the elevator, and maintain this speed as I navigate over to a nearby tree. I then use speed conservation to glide through the air, land on ground, double jump onto higher ground, and go into C^ mode in order to store my vertical speed of 334. I then grab the cork box right as it unloads, and soon after the bob-omb pushes me off the ledge, thereby activating my stored vertical speed. This launches me into the air way above the 5th secret. As I fall down, I end up cloning the 5th ring's upper coin, and I release the clone prematurely. With the upper coin out of the way, I strategically fall so that I just touch the secret's hitbox without touching any of the coins.

i love this man

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
The water bomb spawner's refractory period.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Caithness posted:

The water bomb spawner's refractory period.

Soral
May 30, 2009

pannenkoek using the A button is like when goku took off the weighted clothing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

http://m.imgur.com/a/zcMBt

my wheelhouse
Nov 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

:popeye:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Blowing bubbles from a pipe* Ah, yes.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

*looking at this at work and everyone thinks I'm a genius*

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

*looking at this at work and everyone thinks I'm a genius*

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

marois foot gets big when he kicks :D

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Oh Don Piano posted:

marois foot gets big when he kicks :D

when he headbutts people he has a rams head for a moment

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iT_0hPF_98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5xwUBy0Pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI-GXEQgfA4

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

[begins to really believe theres a racist toad]

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b_U9xQlDnc

He's so close to the 0 A-press dream (for 70 stars)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh man

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b_U9xQlDnc

He's so close to the 0 A-press dream (for 70 stars)

I explain all about the remote lava boost (RLB) and how we’ve tried (unsuccessfully) to use it to get past the pole 0x in BitFS to save that A press.

The remote lava boost is a technique where Mario can initiate a lava boost while being way above the lava. It had long been theorized, since there are other floor-related phenomena that can be experienced from way above the floor (e.g. steepness, quicksand death, water extinguishing burning). However, we weren’t able to experience a lava boost in this same way, and so we believed it to be impossible. But recently, I stumbled upon a comment from user “Ocarina of Masks”, who directed me to this twitch clip [https://www.twitch.tv/sgib64/v/108070950] by twitch user SGib64. Comment for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbQeZ.... As soon as I saw the clip, I knew the trick had potential, and so I let others know. Soon after, many SM64 TASers and glitch exploiters were on the case, trying to replicate, dissect, and utilize the remote lava boost. In particular, Peter Fedak, Tyler Kehne, and Dane Bouchie all played important roles in determining how the remote lava boost works and why, namely by looking into the game's code.

To do a remote lava boost, Mario must be:
(1) already in a lava boost state
(2) currently above lava
(3) about to enter a pedro spot, i.e. a floor with a ceiling slightly above it
Pedro spots have interesting properties, since the floor hitbox allows Mario to land, but then the ceiling hitbox attempts to cancel this landing. This results in a sort of "partial landing" that has unintended effects. If one attempts to enter a pedro spot from midair, Mario will simply remain in midair - he doesn't fall down (since the floor keeps him up) and he doesn't land (since the ceiling prevents him from moving laterally). In this case, we attempt to enter a pedro spot while in a lava boost state and above lava. From the game's point of view, Mario both landed and is above lava, hence triggering a lava boost without actually touching the lava.

Unfortunately, this technique doesn't seem to allow us to get past the pole 0x, which all of us had been hoping for. Tyler determined that we need a 2+ unit gap between the floor and the ceiling for it to work, thereby concluding that the hypothetical pedro spot on the edge of the seesaw platform should not be able to exist. Dane also used an automated brute force tester to test having Mario move into the edge of the seesaw platform at varying positions in order to check for pedro spots, but did not find any. And so for now, this is just another dead end.

Additional Notes
(1) Thanks to 1ted59 for making me aware of the remote quicksand death. Thanks to Tyler Kehne for making me aware of the remote ability to have water extinguish burning.
(2) This experience is a testament to just how capable the SM64 community is of figuring out how glitches work, so long as the glitches can be replicated. Indeed, as soon as we have a glitch in recorded inputs that we can play back, we can dissect the game's code to determine exactly what causes it. This is in stark contrast to the TTC upwarp, for which we have no replications available, and thus nothing to go on to figure out how it works.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i hope that president trump addresses the 0 A press

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i believe in him

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

the TTC upwarp was a cosmic ray.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If he accomplishes it, it will be the greatest achievement since a perfect score in Pac Man was achieved, and will only be eclipsed when someone manages to compile a full set of gifs for every way that Pac Man can die in Pac Man 2: the New Adventures.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

that ivy guy posted:

the TTC upwarp was a cosmic ray.

Yea

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNvNdw1yCXo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

god this is awesome

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

mario jumping on a wall back and forth until he phases through reality

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

did make me wonder why you cant just clone every star lol

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I did not know about that wall kick thing. :aaa:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

extremebuff posted:

you can't clone stars that are in boxes or which spawn based on events, for one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

extremebuff posted:

That level he cloned the star in is basically the only one you can do it because it's the only place where there is a loading zone you can carry objects through. Since you can only clone an object as it loads, most stars in the game aren't cloneable because they are always loaded or only load when you complete the objective that spawns them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DoctorWhat posted:

you can't clone stars that are in boxes or which spawn based on events, for one.

You can totally clone stars in boxes (though only after you break the box). The stars you can't clone are the ones that are always loaded in--it has to load during the course of the level to be cloneable.

Regy Rusty posted:

That level he cloned the star in is basically the only one you can do it because it's the only place where there is a loading zone you can carry objects through.

You can do it in Wet Dry World too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

You can do it in Wet Dry World too.

Ah yeah right in the pipe to the other town

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

That level he cloned the star in is basically the only one you can do it because it's the only place where there is a loading zone you can carry objects through. Since you can only clone an object as it loads, most stars in the game aren't cloneable because they are always loaded or only load when you complete the objective that spawns them.

oh wow, ty for the breakdown i didnt know

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

pannenkoek is one of the most win people alive and he should do more commentated videos

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

extremebuff posted:

pannenkoek is one of the most win people alive and he should do more commentated videos

sadly he's still reeling over how memed-on he got from Watch for Rolling Rocks 0×. the internet is loving brutal

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the villainous pole cloud

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

that ivy guy posted:

sadly he's still reeling over how memed-on he got from Watch for Rolling Rocks 0×. the internet is loving brutal

Which is bullshit cause he's surprisingly easy to follow and great at explaining these mechanics to the naive which seems like a baffling trait to have with a man whose mind is a steel trap

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
He's explained himself somewhere (I think the profile for UncommentatedPannen?). Basically, he refuses to lower the bar on his "professional" videos once it's been raised, and 99% of the time he's not feeling in a positive enough headspace to produce commentation up to his own standards.

Which is crazy, because in a just world nobody as awesome as Pannenkoek would ever be anything other than completely jubilant at all times.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you read his google doc he pretty much just says it's because making stuff like the commentated rolling rocks video takes a million hours. And stuff with subtitles and 25 minutes of menu music loop is informative and easier to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i just want him to be happy