Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

This owns, I hope it turns out to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Limited playable maybe? Rubble makes bounce effects stick for a bit longer.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Siivola posted:

Limited playable maybe? Rubble makes bounce effects stick for a bit longer.

It's potentially constructed playable. Counter spell on opponent's T3, keep all their lands tapped T4 (or wait until later). This is the type of thing that can let control decks get to a late game. They need to accumulate card advantage without getting too far behind on board.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I like how the name of the second part would suggest it destroys lands but lol of course we can't have that in standard

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Wurzag posted:

I like how the name of the second part would suggest it destroys lands but lol of course we can't have that in standard

Pairing land destruction to this would be incredibly dumb.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you want to see Haumph utterly failing at piloting a deck and most likely get timed out check out his stream. He may be worse at this ironworks deck that anyone else alive.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Siivola posted:

I'm kinda hoping they'll ban the Felidar and nothing else. Just to see if a T2 deck manages to rise up to challenge Mardu Good Stuff.

I beat Mardu Vehicles literally 99.9% of the time using 4C Energy TurboFog.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Pairing land destruction to this would be incredibly dumb.

What if it said destroy target tapped land?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pull from tomorrow makes Jeskai Shaeeli great again.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Siivola posted:

I'm just shitposting. Two devs left the design team for unspecified reasons, but I think both Stoddard and Hayes are still on the payroll: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/amonkhet-down-business-part-1-2017-04-03

my completely speculative read on this was that they were pulling their more experienced devs onto whatever the big 25th anniversary stuff is gonna be that they've been hinting at

Eikre
May 2, 2009

It's too bad they already used "Reduce to Ashes" in SoI because the stay-tapped function would make a lot more sense as a cloud of stifling grit than actual ruin.

And they could have illustrated it with the would-be fireball getting dispersed into a whirlwind of soot instead of generic blue swirl #54.

EDIT: And, for gently caress's sake, the double-wide depiction of the top half of these stupid things is ideal for depicting both spell-casters in a the confrontation, for once. If they're going to have this stupid looking frame then why not play to its loving strengths??

Eikre fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 10, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

I beat Mardu Vehicles literally 99.9% of the time using 4C Energy TurboFog.

somehow i don't beleive you've played 1000 games with the deck

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Well, Jeskai control was a thing for a little while. Maybe this will help kickstart that again?

E: silly me, that also slides nicely into Grixis control :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Don't diss my FNM testing yo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I haven't been updating my spreadsheet but are the people that think this is good, the same people that think new Force Spike is bad?

Because if so, lol.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

InterrupterJones posted:

Well, Jeskai control was a thing for a little while. Maybe this will help kickstart that again?

How will any control deck ever exist when we've got the powerful Dynavolt Tower pushing them out of the meta?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mandatory lesbian posted:

at least in the 700 range

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
someone post these decklists!

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/34890_Todd-VS-Ross-UR-Dynavolt-VS-WB-Aggro-Featuring-Amonkhet.html

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I only ever hear two things about SCG Premium:

1) Complaints about it being a rip off
2) Requests for the contents

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

odiv posted:

Occasionally there's an interesting idea or two. BUUUUUT the overwhelming majority of content is absolute dreck that you can get from mtgs forums just as easily.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

How will any control deck ever exist when we've got the powerful Dynavolt Tower pushing them out of the meta?

Pull is a better win condition than Tower....

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

odiv posted:

Maybe the people who request the content should consider buying the content

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

I haven't been updating my spreadsheet but are the people that think this is good, the same people that think new Force Spike is bad?

Because if so, lol.

You can't it a new force spike if it costs more than U, this is the law.

Abstruse Interference, Spell Snip, Runeboggle, Stymied Hopes, Frightful Delusion, all of those counter unless the player pays 1, but no one's called those new Force Spikes, so accept that it's just a shittier Miscalculation, or never darken my rumpus room again!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You can't it a new force spike if it costs more than U, this is the law.

Abstruse Interference, Spell Snip, Runeboggle, Stymied Hopes, Frightful Delusion, all of those counter unless the player pays 1, but no one's called those new Force Spikes, so accept that it's just a shittier Miscalculation, or never darken my rumpus room again!

Daze, a new force spike :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's potentially constructed playable. Counter spell on opponent's T3, keep all their lands tapped T4 (or wait until later). This is the type of thing that can let control decks get to a late game. They need to accumulate card advantage without getting too far behind on board.
I'm a bit iffy on Rubble because it's three mana to keep three mana tapped. You draw, land, play Rubble, they draw, land, pass. To get any real value out of this you kinda need some kind of advantage already on board.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

ThePeavstenator posted:

I mean, for Jeskai there's always Fragmentize. Otherwise, control will play like it always does: draw go style, now with some cheaper spells rolling in from Amonkhet that they'll probably like.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sampatrick posted:

Maybe the people who request the content should consider buying the content

You must not follow the thread very much

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I played a lot of Mistbind Clique but "tap your lands" and "your lands don't untap next turn" are similar enough effects that they excite me.

In a rare intelligent move, the land lockdown being a Flashback effect means they can't be recurred for stasis shenanigans.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Siivola posted:

I'm a bit iffy on Rubble because it's three mana to keep three mana tapped. You draw, land, play Rubble, they draw, land, pass. To get any real value out of this you kinda need some kind of advantage already on board.

That's what Planeswalkers are for. Chandra and Gideon are still around and still obscenely powerful.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Madmarker posted:

Occasionally there's an interesting idea or two. BUUUUUT the overwhelming majority of content is absolute dreck that you can get from mtgs forums just as easily.

Gotta love that CFB has better players, better content, a better appearance, and is free. Plus more reasonable prices if you're feeling guilty and not ordering from tcg.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's what Planeswalkers are for. Chandra and Gideon are still around and still obscenely powerful.

For bonus points a turn 5 Chandra nets you the flashback if you haven't missed a land drop

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

odiv posted:

I don't have the correct password for the shared account or I would just post it.

SCG articles are absolute poo poo. I only ever read it when me and friends use up the free premium from IQ's. Far too often the requested content isn't worth the copy and paste for whoever wants it.

To tell you the truth, most mtg articles are incredibly bad these days. Pros don't want to give up their edge and instead post the bare minimum to get paid or keep their contract. The only people who want to tell you everything they know are medium players at best.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

Pull is a better win condition than Tower....

InterrupterJones posted:

I mean, for Jeskai there's always Fragmentize. Otherwise, control will play like it always does: draw go style, now with some cheaper spells rolling in from Amonkhet that they'll probably like.

The joke is that Tower is not a good deck but we keep hearing about it because WotC is huffing their own farts insisting that this format isn't just 2 decks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

I don't have the correct password for the shared account or I would just post it.

SCG articles are absolute poo poo. I only ever read it when me and friends use up the free premium from IQ's. Far too often the requested content isn't worth the copy and paste for whoever wants it.

To tell you the truth, most mtg articles are incredibly bad these days. Pros don't want to give up their edge and instead post the bare minimum to get paid or keep their contract. The only people who want to tell you everything they know are medium players at best.

This has been true for a while and it's sad because there are many skills that high-level magic players have that require practice and training and can't just be imparted in an article such that top players should really worry less about "giving away their secrets." Mediocre players are going to suddenly be able to read the opponent or play well under pressure just because you wrote about it in an article and your deck tech is going to be public as soon as the event is over.

Also "knowing the rules" is a key skill that many, many players just do not have because they never actually read them.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
What is the best way to sell off my collection? I got really lucky with my pulls from MM3 and wound up with liliana, goyf, and an Arid mesa. I keep seeing the "value" of these cards on sites, but I only ever play limited. I looked into selling on tcg and they pay less than I expected. Also tried to sell in a Facebook group in my area, no takers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ThePeavstenator posted:

The joke is that Tower is not a good deck but we keep hearing about it because WotC is huffing their own farts insisting that this format isn't just 2 decks.

The point at which you could tell they were lodged firmly up their own rear end was when they posted the infamous Tower Triangle:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Roshambo posted:

What is the best way to sell off my collection? I got really lucky with my pulls from MM3 and wound up with liliana, goyf, and an Arid mesa. I keep seeing the "value" of these cards on sites, but I only ever play limited. I looked into selling on tcg and they pay less than I expected. Also tried to sell in a Facebook group in my area, no takers.

Well, it can be a little complicated. Try out the buy/trade/sell thread on this forum, I am sure someone has the link. Other goons should be willing to buy those cards.

If you want to sell your collection in bulk, the best options are going to a gp or convincing someone local to buy it on facebook.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

may this shared account never die

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

may this shared account never die

Yeah that wasn't worth the trouble, but good on shaneb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Well, it can be a little complicated. Try out the buy/trade/sell thread on this forum, I am sure someone has the link. Other goons should be willing to buy those cards.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

• Locked thread