Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
On a serious note, I feel like that system doesn't really tell you anything about what you want to watch. For example, if I watch the new Dave Chapelle standup, it will assume I like stand up comedy and start recommending absolutely everyone, from guys who lost their touch to people who were never funny (to me) in the first place.

I noticed that I've been turning off a lot more movies 1/3 of the way through lately, and I guess that has something to do with their rating system.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I never really used the Netflix reccomendations to find something to watch, I pretty much only used it to rate things I had no desire to watch 1 star so they'd stop showing up. Though now it's pretty much just "Here's all of our Netflix original programming oh and Hellraiser"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Well, it turns out that if you'd bothered to accurately rate everything you'd watched the predictions would've been almost entirely accurate and you're why we can't have nice things.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pseudorandom name posted:

Well, it turns out that if you'd bothered to accurately rate everything you'd watched the predictions would've been almost entirely accurate and you're why we can't have nice things.

I dunno I just very rarely found myself randomly finding something on Netflix to watch. I'd be using threads like these and other places to find what was recommended. I don't think there were many jewels that I just happened upon without knowing about them first. I did spend hours and hours going through and rating every movie that popped up that I'd seen before a while back, I just never really rated anything after I watched it unless it was horrible or I absolutely loved it.

I would say that Hulu leads me to other stuff a lot more often, due to repeated commercials. I never would have considered watching You're the Worst just from a basic premise read of it, but Hulu kept hammering me with commercials so I finally said "FINE HULU I'LL WATCH THE SHOW ARE YOU HAPPY" and now it's one of my all time favorites.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I used to just browse Netflix for stuff to watch but their selection kept getting worse / less reliable so I stopped

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Netflix browsing will always be useless until they add the most desired feature - "Never show me this again"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

my summer at fat camp posted:

Netflix browsing will always be useless until they add the most desired feature - "Never show me this again"

We were told this would never happen "because of licensing agreements," I guess because Netflix paid for it and the copyright holder gave it to Netflix to put it in front of people so you're drat well going to see it's available, basically.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Except Netflix, for as terrible as it is at recommending things to me, was very good at predicting how many stars I'd give something and this will flush that down the toilet. Such a binary choice will be poo poo at recommendations.

Yeah as much poo poo as I give the Netflix System, it was usually spot-on with its guesses.

The new system is... not so spot-on. It says that Rectify, my favorite TV show of all time, is a 73% match. For reference, Sons of Anarchy is a 75% match. :suicide:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

precision posted:

Yeah as much poo poo as I give the Netflix System, it was usually spot-on with its guesses.

The new system is... not so spot-on. It says that Rectify, my favorite TV show of all time, is a 73% match. For reference, Sons of Anarchy is a 75% match. :suicide:

You'd probably need to rate thousands of movies for it to really start working accurately. Reminds me of the Criticker "users with similar taste" function.

Of course my Criticker is useless to me now because I filled all that poo poo in when I was, like, 19. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to mention: there's a Nick Cave documentary on the making of his latest album, on Prime, called One More Time With Feeling

It is so fuckin good!

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

david_a posted:

Hulu has some Black Mirror wannabe called Dimension 404. Anybody watched it yet?

I watched the first two episodes. They both suffer from an obnoxious in-your-face attempt at comedy. I think lacks the terrifying bleakness of Black Mirror. I will say, my best friend HATES Black Mirror because she says it makes her feel cold and sad inside (which yes, it does) and she likes this show. The second episode had a somewhat clever concept, but the retro-hipster uncle character was just lame. I won't be continuing this series. I think when you take the despair out of Black Mirror, you lose its essence.

Did anyone else watch The Path on Hulu?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The trick is to watch everything or else how will you know you hate it?

Btw, still trying to figure out wtf death race is

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The Shining has a 60% match for me and 83% for Iron Fist and 90% for Flubber.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Even though they claim the problem was that people were using it wrong, I wonder if the reason for switching was that the star system emphasized how bad their library has become. They'd probably rather show people how many movies they'll think are worthy of a thumbs up rather then explicitly say "you'll think all of our movies are ok but not great". In other words, I think the real issue is that the system would accurately predict that many people would now have zero five star movies available that they hadn't already seen, and people would become disinclined to watch 3 star movies that were available.

I recently cancelled Netflix, though, so I haven't tried the new system yet.

Edit: I also wonder if they'll try to slowly phase out the recommendation system entirely in a way that doesn't draw too much attention.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 10, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Not that I want to do anything with this info (because better people than me already do), but does anyone know what technical wizardry Netflix uses to protect from just downloading the movie off them? I would think no movie companies would ever liscence anything to them if they didn't show at least an attempt to stop piracy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's streamed in tiny segments (I think) that make it difficult to use downloader browser extensions. You could probably screen record, if your thing is making tons of huge files that take hours to master and export.

mystes
May 31, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Not that I want to do anything with this info (because better people than me already do), but does anyone know what technical wizardry Netflix uses to protect from just downloading the movie off them? I would think no movie companies would ever liscence anything to them if they didn't show at least an attempt to stop piracy.
I think for iOS/Android the files are encrypted with the key sent separately so you can't just intercept the stream. I don't know what they use on desktop computers now (flash still?) but they've said they won't support HTML5 video until it has DRM.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Jack Gladney posted:

It's streamed in tiny segments (I think) that make it difficult to use downloader browser extensions. You could probably screen record, if your thing is making tons of huge files that take hours to master and export.

It isn't that difficult to see the streams - you can use tcpdump on your computer while you watch a netflix stream and watch the packets come in. You'll see stuff like this:
code:
22:33:30.019112 IP6 ipv6_1.cxl0.c391.ord001.ix.nflxvideo.net.https > secretv6ip: Flags [.], 
seq 2871439:2872867, ack 3079, win 2050, options [nop,nop,TS val 3211101571 ecr 737328360], length 1428

22:33:30.019783 IP6 ipv6_1.cxl0.c391.ord001.ix.nflxvideo.net.https >secretv6ip: Flags [.],
seq 2872867:2874295, ack 3079, win 2050, options [nop,nop,TS val 3211101571 ecr 737328360], length 1428

22:33:30.019786 IP6 ipv6_1.cxl0.c391.ord001.ix.nflxvideo.net.https > secretv6ip: Flags [.],
seq 2874295:2875723, ack 3079, win 2050, options [nop,nop,TS val 3211101571 ecr 737328360], length 1428
And you can just capture them and look at the contents if you're really curious. It's encrypted, though, so it doesn't do any good.

If you're using chrome, you can even see a nice graph of total traffic. Go to:

chrome://net-internals/#timeline

Close everything else, then fire up a netflix stream. Clear off everything but bytes received, and you can see the stream come in in real time. I fired up the first few minutes of Gremlins and got this:

Big spike at the beginning of the stream, initial buffering, then maintenance packets as necessary. There are dips - netflix is smart enough to know when the tab is in the foreground, and can cut the bitrate if you've backgrounded the thing.

It's cool to see your own traffic in action, basically.

EDIT: Your ISP is trying really hard to get accurate measurements of this stuff across their routers because they freak out about their netflix ratings.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 10, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

K. Waste posted:

Death Race 2050 owns, and is possibly the best Death Race film.

2050 was much better than I had expected with scattered surprisingly sharp humor (the Bechdel Bar). It's years better than Deathsport (the first pseudo-sequel), but I'll still favor the original Deathrace if it comes to a rewatch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

my summer at fat camp posted:

I'll be happy if they just give me a "just play something, I don't know what I want" button

Ratatozsk posted:

2050 was much better than I had expected with scattered surprisingly sharp humor (the Bechdel Bar). It's years better than Deathsport (the first pseudo-sequel), but I'll still favor the original Deathrace if it comes to a rewatch.

:same:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll be happy if they just give me a "just play something, I don't know what I want" button

If it pulled from your list, I'd love this.

And let you specify Movie or Show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

If it pulled from your list, I'd love this.

And let you specify Movie or Show.

Channel-surfing mode would be a game changer.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Friday is mst3k day. I'll spoil the first episode for you as someone who loves mst3k.

Mst3k is back and it was funny and warm. Do enjoy.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
In the not too distant future, Friday the 14th...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hear the MST3K revival is really funny but a bit "try-hard". That's to be expected though, even with the existence of Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax people still assign special significance to the MST3K brand.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

precision posted:

I hear the MST3K revival is really funny but a bit "try-hard". That's to be expected though, even with the existence of Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax people still assign special significance to the MST3K brand.

Dude consider it the pilot episode, and as one it was 90% hits 10% misses. As for CT and RT its got most of both working on the new season.

Mst3k is one of the rare few shows that felt like the people making it wanted to make it rather than it being a career stop or a paycheck.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to mention: there's a Nick Cave documentary on the making of his latest album, on Prime, called One More Time With Feeling

It is so fuckin good!

It is indeed excellent (saw it twice in theaters, bought the Blu-ray the day it came out), but bear in mind it's also somewhat depressing, as the narrative throughline is Cave powering through to finish the Skeleton Tree album after his 15-year-old son fell from a cliff and died. If memory serves, Cave personally financed the documentary (as he did the album itself) because he didn't want to do any media interviews to promote the album. Cave hates doing interviews and enjoys loving around with reporters, but he didn't want to do any promotion for Skeleton Tree because he knew that the press would just ask him about Arthur instead of the music.

Junkie Disease posted:

As for CT and RT its got most of both working on the new season.

Yep. The only people not involved with the new MST3K are Mike Nelson, Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junkie Disease posted:

As for CT and RT its got most of both working on the new season.

Uh, what? :psyduck: To my knowledge literally nobody from the old show except Joel came back, and Joel is only producing. It's all new writers and all new actors.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Uh, what? :psyduck: To my knowledge literally nobody from the old show except Joel came back, and Joel is only producing. It's all new writers and all new actors.

Bill Corbett (Brain Guy), Mary Jo Pehl (Pearl Forrester) and Kevin Murphy (Professor Bobo) all appear in this season.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Bill Corbett (Brain Guy), Mary Jo Pehl (Pearl Forrester) and Kevin Murphy (Professor Bobo) all appear in this season.

Oh poo poo, I had no idea! Last I'd heard, Corbett and Murphy hadn't even been contacted about it and Pehl was up in the air. That's good news, at any rate.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Outside of Mike saying no as to hes got his own show now, I expect Trace and Frank just need time in their busy schedule to get in season 2.
That said there is no cameo in episode one. This isn't a reboot or a throwback this is a new season.
Much of the old dna is in there with new dna.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Junkie Disease posted:

Outside of Mike saying no as to hes got his own show now, I expect Trace and Frank just need time in their busy schedule to get in season 2.
That said there is no cameo in episode one. This isn't a reboot or a throwback this is a new season.
Much of the old dna is in there with new dna.

Mike flat-out wasn't interested, and from some reports from the Mads Are Back touring shows, Trace either wasn't asked / has some bad blood towards Hodgson. (If anything, it would be over residuals; Nelson is on record as saying he's made basically nothing from the show ever since it was canceled.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really digging Fargo season 2 on Hulu so far.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Timby posted:

Mike flat-out wasn't interested, and from some reports from the Mads Are Back touring shows, Trace either wasn't asked / has some bad blood towards Hodgson. (If anything, it would be over residuals; Nelson is on record as saying he's made basically nothing from the show ever since it was canceled.)

I have no idea how to search for old tweets but Trace said like a month ago they do get residuals.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

I could have sworn Frank was set to appear also but all I can find is this:

quote:

But when we were starting, right before the Kickstarter, I was planning on [original villains] Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff being part of it. We were planning on doing the Kickstarter video and we were actually planning their travel and I had written them into the script for the Kickstarter and so, it was going to be Forrester and Frank and Kinga—and also Mary Jo Pehl, who played Pearl. They were more like an ensemble and Kinga was more of a reluctant super villain-in-training.

And just before we shot the video, for different reasons, they couldn’t be part of the Kickstarter. Trace, Frank, Maru Jo, etc.

So that's interesting. Murphy and Corbett seem like such all-around cool guys that nobody could ever stay mad at them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

if frank and trace dont show up at some point in the future its gonna be weird.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Frankly, MST3K already had a pretty bad hit-to-miss ratio, so there's really no room for disappointment. There are a select few episodes which have the right combination of host segments and riffing that treads the line between parodying the experiments and (the more important part) retroactively making them into good comedies. But then there's all the rest, which is basically anti-comedy and dense referential humor that sometimes gets so specific you wonder if someone who got it would even find it funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Junkie Disease posted:

if frank and trace dont show up at some point in the future its gonna be weird.

I think they kind of have to unless there is seriously bad blood or they hate money. That interview definitely didn't seem like Joel was opposed to it though.

K. Waste posted:

Frankly, MST3K already had a pretty bad hit-to-miss ratio, so there's really no room for disappointment. There are a select few episodes which have the right combination of host segments and riffing that treads the line between parodying the experiments and (the more important part) retroactively making them into good comedies. But then there's all the rest, which is basically anti-comedy and dense referential humor that sometimes gets so specific you wonder if someone who got it would even find it funny.

Yeah I have to agree, even as someone who's watched every episode at least 2 or 3 times (I tend to leave it on in the background while I do other stuff). It's quite hard to sit down and watch a whole episode unless the movie itself is hilarious on its own merits (Mitchell, Time Chasers, The Beatniks, Girls Town, stuff like that).

I think the popularity of MST3K, or at least I know this was why it was popular with people I knew when it was airing on whatever CC was called in the early 90s and when the "MST3K Theater" thing was on local FOX affiliates, the appeal was you'd get home late at night or stay up late drinking/smoking weed and then when the show came on it was an event.

Now that you can just pull literally any episode up on YouTube you lose that and it's a lot easier to be like "eh, this isn't all that funny".

Related, have they ever officially released the Theater episodes with Mike Nelson in old-man makeup doing the intro/outro for each hour of movie? Those were hilarious segments.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

precision posted:

Related, have they ever officially released the Theater episodes with Mike Nelson in old-man makeup doing the intro/outro for each hour of movie? Those were hilarious segments.

This explains a lot of the rest of the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I apologize for my alternate sense of humor?

e: I mean, keep in mind I haven't actually seen any of them since literally 1994 so it's entirely possible I only thought they were funny because I was drunk