Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

STAC Goat posted:

Clearly Hydra murdered all the woodland creatures of extra evil points.

To be honest, I'm a little confused as to why Jemma's body wasn't decomposed like her grave-mate. I'm not clear why Aida gave her an intact body at all instead of just writing her as vaporized.

But comic book, so I'll move past it.

I figure it's just the framework making sense of a paradox. gently caress Hydra for camping the spawns.

"Player 2 has entered the game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Clearly Hydra murdered all the woodland creatures of extra evil points.

Did Ward shoot the woodland creatures?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe Aida forgot to include animals in the Framework?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe Aida forgot to include animals in the Framework?

Yet another Aida AI flaw. She failed to understand why humans care so much about animals who would eat them if they were hungry enough.

She also cursed them to vegetarianism because its healthier and food is for fuel, not enjoyment.

It turns out Aida posts prolifically online.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Doggles posted:

Did Ward shoot the woodland creatures?

He just talked to them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ward will turn out to have the only pet dog in the framework, that he rescued from the great animal purge.

But he's got a super unhealthy relationship with it, overfeeds it so its really fat, and its kind of messed up and traumatized by Ward's obsession.

Ward continues to confound the audience.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Daisy mentions in the episode that Hydra records state Jemma is buried in England which is when she says that actually she woke up in a mass grave.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I missed that, but yeah, it basically confirms that Hydra covered up her death and gave a fake body or an excuse why there's no body so they could hide the body with the incriminating evidence.

Were those marks on her sweater gunshot wounds? So they dumped the bodies so they could lie and say it was an accident or inhuman attack (I missed it).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The CineD thread on generic comic book movies is too bloated for me to read through. Anyone else watch that Thor Ragnarok trailer? Pretty neat, huh?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The CineD thread thinks it was too grey and should be more like The Office.

I think it was really cool.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm more excited about Ragnarok than I have been for a film in years. Maybe more than I was for Civil War and for GotG. That shot of Hela destroying Mjolnir was just orgasmic. Talk about raising the stakes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phase 3 in general seems to be heavy about lots of crossovers and escalating massive universe wide elements. They seem to be swinging for the fences with Civil War and Ragnarok, all probably building up to Infinity War. Spider-Man and Black Panther will probably be more stand alone introduction movies like Doctor Strange and Ant-Man but the established franchises are just going for broke with the MCU.

Its a shame they never really found a way to connect to Agents of Shield since as good as its been it feels very disconnected from an every connected universe. But its probably for the best since AoS is doing well in its own little bubble, as I think the Defenders are.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Its a shame they never really found a way to connect to Agents of Shield since as good as its been it feels very disconnected from an every connected universe. But its probably for the best since AoS is doing well in its own little bubble, as I think the Defenders are.

If by "doing well" you mean "teetering on the verge of cancellation, saved only by streaming views" then yes AoS is doing well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was speaking creatively but for the record I do actually consider four seasons with a reasonable chance for a fifth to be "doing well."

Like, if I have a choice between a four season series with some good stories and a 6 season series with a lot of forced and disjointed movie crossovers I choose the former.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

Phase 3 in general seems to be heavy about lots of crossovers and escalating massive universe wide elements. They seem to be swinging for the fences with Civil War and Ragnarok, all probably building up to Infinity War. Spider-Man and Black Panther will probably be more stand alone introduction movies like Doctor Strange and Ant-Man but the established franchises are just going for broke with the MCU.

Apparently, the recent word is after both Infinity War movies they'll be gearing back for a long while and doing standalones and team-ups. (Ragnarok is kind of a test with the team-up thing.)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

Anyone else watch that Thor Ragnarok trailer? Pretty neat, huh?

Even though I knew it was coming, I marked out at the end reveal, and pretty much had the same reaction as Thor, but louder.

Also, Jeff Goldblum is in it. :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It makes sense. Phase 1, 2, and 3 were built around 3 Iron Man movies, 3 Captain America movies, and 3 Thor movies plus 3-4 Avengers movies. So assuming there's a shelf life on that first generation of actors/characters Phase 4 should be about establishing a new generation of characters and building on the ones introduced in Phase 2 and 3. Then maybe a second version of Avengers if it all works out.

Like, you gotta assume you can't build movies around Robert Downey Jr and Sam Jackson forever for obvious reasons.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

STAC Goat posted:

Like, you gotta assume you can't build movies around Robert Downey Jr and Sam Jackson forever for obvious reasons.

Eh, we're almost there. Rogue One had two dead people in it and they already have that Digital Downey from Civil War.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

pee out my butt posted:

Eh, we're almost there. Rogue One had two dead people in it and they already have that Digital Downey from Civil War.

There was a some newsbit a while back that RDJ may have already licensed his likeness to Disney and/or may be willing to just phone in voiceover. This works especially well if whatever the appearance is is just him in the suit.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jackson kind of got lucky in that Marvel signed him early and kind of at a peak of popularity. I don't think Jackson is the big get he was nearly 10 years ago.

RDJ's star has risen a lot, and I think Marvel would happily throw tons of money at him for him to keep appearing in stuff, even if only on an occasional basis.

Not really sure about the others.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rumor is, when Marvel decided to make Ultimate Nick Fury black, they wanted to make him look like Samuel L. Jackson. They asked him for permission, and he said yes, provided that if they ever made a live action movie with Nick Fury in it, he would be cast in the role. No idea if that's true or not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ultimate Nick Fury was 100% Samuel L. Jackson and there's no chance in hell that didn't directly play into him being cast into the role.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Apparently, the recent word is after both Infinity War movies they'll be gearing back for a long while and doing standalones and team-ups. (Ragnarok is kind of a test with the team-up thing.)

Can't be that recent, they've been saying Infinity War is only going to be one movie for almost a year.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

notthegoatseguy posted:

RDJ's star has risen a lot, and I think Marvel would happily throw tons of money at him for him to keep appearing in stuff, even if only on an occasional basis.

It seems that RDJ indeed wants to get out of full commitment type no matter the cost. Chris Evans is also signalling wanting to leave but has said he might stay on with a bigger offer.

Kheldarn posted:

Rumor is, when Marvel decided to make Ultimate Nick Fury black, they wanted to make him look like Samuel L. Jackson. They asked him for permission, and he said yes, provided that if they ever made a live action movie with Nick Fury in it, he would be cast in the role. No idea if that's true or not.

Looks like neither are true according to this: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Nick-Fury-Ended-Up-Looking-Like-Being-Played-By-Samuel-L-Jackson-71136.html

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Can't be that recent, they've been saying Infinity War is only going to be one movie for almost a year.

You're being pedantic. I meant Infinity War and UNTITLED AVENGERS FILM.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 11, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the 2019 Avengers movie may not be Infinity War Part 2 anymore but its still almost certainly going to be a continuation of whatever cliffhanger Infinity War stops at a year earlier.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They've said that Infinity War and the 4th Avengers Film will be stand alone films in that they are not direct sequels, but the second will build on the first. Infinity War starts on earth and ends in space, so I figure 2019 will start in space and end on earth. If I have to guess, Stark finds out something bad is going on in space, and they have to go find it. He either builds a ship or the Government has an alien ship, the Avengers go to space in it, piloted by Carol Danvers, and that's when they meet up with The Guardians. They have some Adventure that involves Thanos's agents, and then realize they're stuck in space. Second movie starts with them on Nowhere and they find out they have to go back to earth because Thanos is headed there.

And I've heard that Black Panther and Captain Marvel will be the focuses in the next round of films, but i think that was because they were the more prominent characters at the time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Captain Marvel is the only movie between the two, so it would be weird to introduce her in the first Avengers movie and leave her stranded in the middle of a scene. It would sort of make more sense to give her a soft intro in the first, build her up in her own movie, and then make her a feature player in the second. Basically the same treatment they gave Spider-Man (or I assume, I have no idea what his role in Infinity War will be).

But yeah, the Avengers will meet Thanos in the first film but defeat him in the second. Or they'll defeat Thanos in the first only to discover a larger threat to deal with in the second. Or they'll deal with a smaller threat in the first while Thanos is building up and then they'll finally meet up at the end and have the real fight in the second.

Something like that. Its not 1 movie in 2 but its still two directly connected films like in a trilogy (but you know, 2 movies).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kheldarn posted:

This is 100% fan made up bullshit.

STAC Goat posted:

Ultimate Nick Fury was 100% Samuel L. Jackson and there's no chance in hell that didn't directly play into him being cast into the role.

Actually no. When Ult Nick Fury first appeared it was in Ultimate X-Men. He showed up in a white suit and had a full head of hair. It wasn't until the Ultimates series came out and Bryan Hitch used SLJ as a visual reference that he got his known look. Sam didn't even know about it until months after the book was out. It probably did have something to do with him getting the role though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not saying that there was some deal in place before the comic, just that there's absolutely no way you can convince me that somewhere during the casting process someone didn't go "We have to get Sam Jackson becasue look at this comic, hes already Fury!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying that there was some deal in place before the comic, just that there's absolutely no way you can convince me that somewhere during the casting process someone didn't go "We have to get Sam Jackson becasue look at this comic, hes already Fury!"

Everything that's known about the casting says otherwise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, you can say what you want and you may have all the information in the world to back you up but I just can't be convinced that sometime during the pre-production meetings when they were asking "Who do we want to cast?" that there wasn't someone sitting there with a comic book saying "uhhhh... duh."

I just won't hear it.

Not at all.

lalalalala

:)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BTW, this is what he looked like initially

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Even though I have read the earlier Ultimate and Ultimates comics many times, I had honestly forgotten about that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

twistedmentat posted:

They've said that Infinity War and the 4th Avengers Film will be stand alone films in that they are not direct sequels, but the second will build on the first. Infinity War starts on earth and ends in space, so I figure 2019 will start in space and end on earth. If I have to guess, Stark finds out something bad is going on in space, and they have to go find it. He either builds a ship or the Government has an alien ship, the Avengers go to space in it, piloted by Carol Danvers, and that's when they meet up with The Guardians. They have some Adventure that involves Thanos's agents, and then realize they're stuck in space. Second movie starts with them on Nowhere and they find out they have to go back to earth because Thanos is headed there.

And I've heard that Black Panther and Captain Marvel will be the focuses in the next round of films, but i think that was because they were the more prominent characters at the time.

I'm guessing that Infinity War will end with the defeat of the Avengers and Thanos becoming a universal threat. A sorta Empire Strikes Back sort of moment where the bad guy wins, the earth is only just safe, and the team is reeling from their defeat. Someone may die.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

kayakyakr posted:

I'm guessing that Infinity War will end with the defeat of the Avengers and Thanos becoming a universal threat. A sorta Empire Strikes Back sort of moment where the bad guy wins, the earth is only just safe, and the team is reeling from their defeat. Someone may die.

It'll be Hawkeye since they faked it out last time. :D

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Edmund Lava posted:

They did. Remember the drunken master fight? That was directed by Kevin Tancharoen, same dude who did the May vs May fight and Skye's gun-fu in season two of AoS.

And amazingly it was the only fight scene that didn't suck!

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 11, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ It was easily the best fight scene in the whole series.

Rhyno posted:

BTW, this is what he looked like initially

Yeah, him being in a suit is almost kind of James Bond-ish, which honestly makes sense since Fury is usually known for being a super spy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

homullus posted:

If by "doing well" you mean "teetering on the verge of cancellation, saved only by streaming views" then yes AoS is doing well.

It's also kept a consistent audience, which ABC has had trouble with. Especially shows they've put into the one AoS now has. Remember that series about the Bible that was all sexy-like that they put on? Of Kings and Prophets? Cancelled after two episodes. Before that they had Wicked City, which lasted three episodes.

AoS has kept an audience for the Tuesday at 10pm slot where a lot of other series have failed. It might not be the largest audience, but that combined with how it does streaming along with the Marvel name and improvement in quality mean that ABC would be pretty dumb to cancel it now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Codependent Poster posted:

It's also kept a consistent audience, which ABC has had trouble with. Especially shows they've put into the one AoS now has. Remember that series about the Bible that was all sexy-like that they put on? Of Kings and Prophets? Cancelled after two episodes. Before that they had Wicked City, which lasted three episodes.

AoS has kept an audience for the Tuesday at 10pm slot where a lot of other series have failed. It might not be the largest audience, but that combined with how it does streaming along with the Marvel name and improvement in quality mean that ABC would be pretty dumb to cancel it now.

Yep. With something like AOS what usually happens with high streaming/DVR counts, and steady but low weekly ratings is they maybe up the product placement (How cool of Jemma to drive this HONDA ACCORD, and EAT AT SUBWAY while sneaking around in this Hydra simulation) like Fringe, and Chuck did. If they find a show with better ratings they will probably move AOS to the friday slot when it's time for it's last few or final seasons since it's just a Stream heavy and DVR show so timeslot means less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AOS just isn't even being subtle about commentary now and I love it.

Preview clip for tonight: https://www.facebook.com/AgentsofShield/videos/1394380403960137/

• Locked thread