Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Toast Museum posted:

You all get that the question was about the television props and not the in-story technology, right?

Yeah but for a hot second I thought Iron Man existed in The Expanse universe. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm starting to wonder where this season is going to end book-wise.

Are they going to cut Prax's Go-fund-me campaign storyline and go straight to Io? I kind of hope so. The Kickstarter storyline was pretty dumb.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Snuffman posted:

Are they going to cut Prax's Go-fund-me campaign storyline and go straight to Io? I kind of hope so. The Kickstarter storyline was pretty dumb.

Yeah it was stupid but it set up the Prax/Amos heart-to-heart after his ex wife accused him of abusing Mei. I haven't seen the most recent episodes but it seems like that's getting cut which is a shame because I love that scene :(

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Snuffman posted:

I think the episode titles give away the Ganymede-area events, they're going to close that out.

Avasarala on Mao's ship is going to have some unrealistically abbreviated travel time or the plot changes. Venus either punts to next season with a cliffhanger or advances suddenly.

It's still possible for them to finish all the big action beats of the second book.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Snuffman posted:

The cliffhanger is going to be BOOK SPOILER HOLY poo poo, IT'S ON THE SHIP.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

AlternateAccount posted:

To me at least the episode title "The Monster and the Rocket" is the obvious place for that to happen, and that's only the second-to-last episode. Still hoping against hope that the season cliffhanger is gonna be that line I mentioned earlier.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Crazycryodude posted:

To me at least the episode title "The Monster and the Rocket" is the obvious place for that to happen, and that's only the second-to-last episode. Still hoping against hope that the season cliffhanger is gonna be that line I mentioned earlier.

I dunno, might be right, but here are some pretty vague descriptions that could point either way:

12 Apr 12, 2017 The Monster and the Rocket
A discovery pushes Naomi and Holden apart and sets the Roci crew against each other.

13 Apr 19, 2017 Caliban's War
The Roci crew must fight to save the ship.

A picture from:

Not sure, that could be the station on IO just as easily as the Roci cargo bay.

Not sure what the DISCOVERY would be or what would lead to internal fighting.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Not sure what the DISCOVERY would be or what would lead to internal fighting.

Holden is a cylon

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The discovery will be Mei is alive on Io, along with many protomonsters. Holden will want to nuke it from orbit anyway, its the only way to be sure.

Actually, (TV only speculation): Holden could instead discover Naomi didn't destroy that bit of protomolecule. Not sure why it would come up now, except that scientist dude has been floating around since his escape from Tyco with some ability to sense it. Dawes is due for an appearance.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 10, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
[spoler]Maybe we should finally tell them the big secret. That all the chimps we sent into the protomolecule came back super intelligent.[/spoiler]

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Actually, (TV only speculation): Holden could instead discover Naomi didn't destroy that bit of protomolecule.
I'm assuming this is it, hence the rocket of the episode title.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm assuming this is it, hence the rocket of the episode title.

That would be a hilarious fake out to book people.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Elentor posted:

That grenade scene was fantastic.

The only problem I have with the scene is the grenade being a square with blinking red lights. It looks like a restaurant buzzer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bubbacub posted:

The only problem I have with the scene is the grenade being a square with blinking red lights. It looks like a restaurant buzzer.

Believe it or not, there is a good reason for that.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Platystemon posted:

Believe it or not, there is a good reason for that.

Care to explain?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Care to explain?

BOOK SPOILER I think they’re using one of the grenades designed to be implanted in the monster for self‐destruct purposes. They want those grenades and their imminent explosion to be obvious.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I wanted to make a grenade that just sort of plops in the next room or maybe it's magnetic for use in zero-g it would probably look like that.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Mine would look like a dick.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd make grenades that looked like donuts, or cupcakes or something that you want.

It's starting to look like a Nixon white house transcript all in here.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

twistedmentat posted:

I'd make grenades that looked like donuts, or cupcakes or something that you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeD2gF9jUo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

See, totally works.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Baronjutter posted:

If I wanted to make a grenade that just sort of plops in the next room or maybe it's magnetic for use in zero-g it would probably look like that.

How come no one present or future has invented Halo-style sticky grenades? Would help prevent a lot of tactical oopsies.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

How come no one present or future has invented Halo-style sticky grenades? Would help prevent a lot of tactical oopsies.

How do you make it sticky only after you throw it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Talorat posted:

Gyroscope-sensitive stickiness-secreting nozzles?

We already have things like munitions that won't arm themselves until they've gone a certain distance, spiraled a certain number of times, and reached a certain velocity. The hard part is the making it sticky.

Edit: vvv Oooh, poo poo, combine that with a fuse like above so the shell automatically drops away instead of needing to drop it and throw it by a handle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Talorat posted:

Electrostatics?

Or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_bomb

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

BOOK SPOILER I think they’re using one of the grenades designed to be implanted in the monster for self‐destruct purposes. They want those grenades and their imminent explosion to be obvious.

iunno, that grenade seemed like more of a frag grenade than a super high temp thermal grenade to burn up every bit of protomolecule in range. amos' counter-throw didn't go that far, but it only takes a few fragments to damage the anesthetic gas dispenser on the monster to wake it up

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Talorat posted:

You put some fins or feathers on one end like a shuttlecock so that it always flies in the same orientation. Then you put the sticky stuff on the front end.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Naomi is really starting to grind my gears. She's operating at like 33% Skylar and rising with every episode. Thank god Bobbie and Avasalara still own.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Snowman Crossing posted:

Naomi is really starting to grind my gears. She's operating at like 33% Skylar and rising with every episode. Thank god Bobbie and Avasalara still own.

:rolleyes:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

bobfather posted:

The books describe at length about how much of the food belters eat on the stations like Ceres are basically fungi-based. Like fungi-whiskey, fungi-noodles, and so on.

I think the obvious thing here would be that your pizza would consist of a fungi-based crust, with fungi-based cheese, topped off with mushrooms.

God everything about the belt is awful from the south african accents, bad tattoos, and apparently fungus laden diets.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The only good thing about the belt is that they're not space libertarians.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'd get sick of not having green vegetables, but mushrooms are about the only thing I could completely replace meat with and be ok

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Blackchamber posted:

When the show first came on my coworker and I were both really excited by the prospect of seeing the Ganymede fight, and I REALLY wanted to see the mech.

When do we get to see that drat drone footage? I'm assuming that's something Ashur will be getting off the tablet Bobbie stole.

my guess is (big Caliban's War spoiler)she will study the drone footage to prepare for her big showdown on IO.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 11, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

This is more like "gently caress Saturn" really...

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

AlternateAccount posted:

I called it first from the season 2 trailer

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'd get sick of not having green vegetables, but mushrooms are about the only thing I could completely replace meat with and be ok

A lot of it comes down to how much money you've got. There's aquaculture and vat-grown meat in the Belt that's supposed to be really good, but it's not cheap. Rice and legumes seem pretty widely available. Beer and spirits are almost always based on fungi.

Traditional Belter food/poor folks' food is largely made with an eye toward not making a mess in null gravity with unexpected accelerations: dense, partially dehydrated food that won't make crumbs. It's eaten with a little spatula and is literally called kibble.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Longbaugh01 posted:

This is more like "gently caress Saturn" really...

It was the first result on GIS and I liked that it was a planet that had a belt on it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

unlawfulsoup posted:

It was the first result on GIS and I liked that it was a planet that had a belt on it.

To be fair, you'd need an infinitely sized image to properly communicate "gently caress Space!" :D

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

unlawfulsoup posted:

Those are rings, not a belt. "Belters" refers to people who live in the asteroid belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Cojawfee posted:

Those are rings, not a belt. "Belters" refers to people who live in the asteroid belt.

Rings, belt, all just debris floating in space.

• Locked thread