Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

Presumably the final two-parter.

Yep. The Cybermen aren't really a big deal in the episode itself. Much like DiH and DW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of course they're not.

Why would they be

This is why we haven't had a good Cyberman story in near 50 years.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

Wait they let the Forest of the Night guy write another episode?

Nice, that was a decent episode. Looking forward to his new one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I mean...Forest of the Night wasn't horrible....up until the "Hey kids, don't take medications!!" moral.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one girl's sister randomly showing up at the end was weird.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one girl's sister randomly showing up at the end was weird.

That's kinda par for NuWho, I've found. Every so often we just get a really saccharine moment like that.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

I mean...Forest of the Night wasn't horrible....up until the "Hey kids, don't take medications!!" moral.

Yeah I know, I just love how irrationally angry Burkion gets over that slight misstep.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That's a bit more than a "slight misstep"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

Yeah I know, I just love how irrationally angry Burkion gets over that slight misstep.

The defoliant agent stuff is also pretty loving dire if you weren't aware

Look up Agent Orange Affect On People if you'd like to know why

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Agent Orange, the only defoliant.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep. The Cybermen aren't really a big deal in the episode itself. Much like DiH and DW.

Very disappointed. Hopefully Chibnall will immediately correct the need Moffat has to throw everything and the kitchen sink into finales. RTD got that way as well, IIRC.

Either Multi-Master OR Mondasian Cybermen are alone enough to hang a 2 parter finale on!!!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

PriorMarcus posted:

Moffat raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

Agent Orange, the only defoliant.

I was going to do a non effort spoiler joke about how all defoliants are dangerous to expose to anyone or anything, but instead gently caress it.

Here's the problem with that sentiment. Agent orange is and remains one of the most potent defoliant agents in the world, if not the most.

To do what they said they were going to, you would need a herbicide defoliant mix at least half as strong as Agent Orange to do anything.

Now, the fun part is, Agent Orange is not illegal. Anywhere. Because it's technically not a chemical weapon, that would be the most logical and likely thing to use if they weren't just being cute about dropping literal poison on every major city of the world.

If it isn't Agent Orange, well I hope you brought your gas mask, not that it's going to help you any, because you're going to be breathing poison as it rains down over your city and contaminates your water supply.

If it is Agent Orange, well basically they'd get a lower body count using loving Sarin Gas, because Agent Orange has killed ten times as many people as any chemical weapon.

400,000 dead, 500,000 birth defects, only from the direct exposure. This is not counting people who were exposed to it second hand and got cancer like my grandfather.

To so lazily include that as a plot point, to even throw that idea that ANY GOVERNMENT would be that totally stupid, is equally as stupid as saying "Okay we'll just nuke the trees, right over your heads."

It's horrendous writing and offends me personally.

And then the anti medicine bullshit gets to rear its loving head.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Is anybody commenting on the fact that two of the episode titles are Big Finish titles or are we all just having a fit about trees or whatever

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Like Forest of the Night was bad but its inaccurate depiction of defoliants is the single least interesting part of a very boring episode

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

and got cancer like my grandfather.

To so lazily include that as a plot point, to even throw that idea that ANY GOVERNMENT

1, apologies, that sucks.

2. but have you met our governments?

3. and yeah, we've already discussed the poo poo out of the medicine bit.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Prediction: the person who dies in episode 11 will be Missy. The poem the title comes from is called "To His Coy Mistress".

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

cargohills posted:

Is anybody commenting on the fact that two of the episode titles are Big Finish titles or are we all just having a fit about trees or whatever

Thin Ice and...?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Thin Ice and...?

Extremis/Excelis confusion?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

Thin Ice and...?

World Enough and Time was also the name of the C. Bakes story from Diary of River Song 2

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I can't wait for George Takei's guest appearance in episode 11

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Forktoss posted:

I mean yeah it's a literary reference so the show reusing the title doesn't mean anything, it's just funny that it's going to the same well so quickly given River Song 2 only came out a few months ago. Or at least that's the deepest I'm thinking about it.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Kilo147 posted:

Well, I'm worried now. Moffat is claiming "Brain melting revelations" this season. That can't be good.

we are gonna find out that it was bill who tried to blow the tardis up in season 5

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've been pondering this morning if I could avoid finding out who the new Doctor is until I see the on-screen regeneration.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I've been pondering this morning if I could avoid finding out who the new Doctor is until I see the on-screen regeneration.

When are they most likely to announce it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

When are they most likely to announce it?

Considering the regeneration shot in the trailer, it could be sooner rather than later, although it's probably/likely a fakeout. I'm hoping there's not a huge deal made about it like last time.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I am so ready for this new season :party:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

Considering the regeneration shot in the trailer, it could be sooner rather than later, although it's probably/likely a fakeout. I'm hoping there's not a huge deal made about it like last time.

It's Moffat's last regeneration scene, and (if they do what they did with Tennant turning into Smith) possibly the last scene he gets to write. It is going to be the hugest of huge deals.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It'll be a puzzlebox. Thing back into cracks, silence, etc

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

"My name's Doctor Who."
gently caress oooofffffffffff

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The problem with the tree episode, no matter how you feel about the morality involved, is that it was boring; none of the threats felt real and the pacing was off.

A lot of the other writers had some good stuff, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what Sarah Dollard does with an episode that isn't quite as bound up in the seasonal continuity as her last one was. Mathieson's should be worth a watch, Toby Whitehouse and Mark Gatiss are hit or miss, but their hits are solidly fun, and Rona Munro's should be interesting.

Szmitten posted:

gently caress oooofffffffffff

Let's not care about the little things.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bicyclops posted:

The problem with the tree episode, no matter how you feel about the morality involved, is that it was boring; none of the threats felt real and the pacing was off.

A lot of the other writers had some good stuff, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what Sarah Dollard does with an episode that isn't quite as bound up in the seasonal continuity as her last one was. Mathieson's should be worth a watch, Toby Whitehouse and Mark Gatiss are hit or miss, but their hits are solidly fun, and Rona Munro's should be interesting.

Let's not care about the little things.

I also had a problem with the implication that everyone would just forget that one time the entire planet was covered by trees for part of a day. People would never stop talking about that poo poo.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Forktoss posted:

It was driving me CRAZY why I was under the impression that that was a TOS episode title, so thank you, haha.

(Rifftrax riffed on that episode, so I've seen it with jokes overtop.)

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

The_Doctor posted:

2 - Smile (Written by Frank Cottrell-Boyce and Directed by Lawrence Gough; Guest Star: Ralph Little)

"Between here and my office, before the kettle boils, is everything that ever happened, or ever will. Make your choice."

In the far future, at the edge of the galaxy, there is a gleaming, perfect city. This brand-new human settlement is said to hold the secret of human happiness - but the only smiles the Doctor and Bill can find are on a pile of grinning skulls. Something is alive in the walls, and the Emojibots are watching from the shadows, as the Doctor and Bill try to unravel a terrifying mystery...

I'm worried by this one, I found Boyce's previous episode quite dull and it had a worrying message. What really worries me though is the use of emojis, the Bad Wolf double parter suffered due to the use of Anne-Bot and Trinny & Susannah, I think Emoji-Bots will date in a similar way.

The_Doctor posted:

7 - The Pyramid at the End of the World (Written by Peter Harness and Steven Moffat and Directed by Daniel Nettheim)

"Fear is inefficient. We must be loved."

A 5,000-year-old pyramid stands at the centre of a war zone, where the Chinese, Russian and American armies are about to clash. There are many problems with that, but the one that intrigues the Doctor is this: there wasn't a pyramid there yesterday. The Doctor, Bill and Nardole face and alien invasion unlike any other - before conquest can begin, these alines need the consent of the human race.

This episode may have a hamfisted idiot writing it but I wonder if Moffatt is adding arc relevant material to the episode. As soon as I saw mention of the Russians, Chinese and Americans though, I feared the worst. I don't trust message episodes in the hands of such a clumsy writer.

The_Doctor posted:

9 - The Empress of Mars (Written by Mark Gatiss and Directed by Wayne Yip)

"It's a simple choice, Iraxxa. The oldest one in the book. We must live together. Or die together."

The Doctor, Bill and Nardole arrive on Mars and find themselves in an impossible conflict between Ice Warriors... and Victorian soldiers. As the Martian hive awakes around them, the Doctor faces a unique dilemma - this time the humans, not the Ice Warriors are the invaders. When Earth is invading Mars, whose side is he on?

I am curious to see how a Victorian army can be a threat to the Ice Warriors. On the down side, it is written by Gatiss, who is a bit of a hack, he is reliable but none of his work enthuses me. Also I expect Saint Winston may make an appearance in his journalist persona (If set in the late 1800's)

I also have the feeling I will find Bill very irritating.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I also had a problem with the implication that everyone would just forget that one time the entire planet was covered by trees for part of a day. People would never stop talking about that poo poo.

Hey, at least that sort of thing has calmed down since the RTD years. How many alien attacks did London endure that everyone just forgot about? I sort of wish they'd stop with "The companion lives a normal life in the present day and goes with the Doctor sometimes" stuff, because the world repeatedly forgetting about mass invasion is baggage that comes with that. I recognize it does allow them to help develop companions by giving them family and friends, but it often makes it feel like it takes a solid two seasons for the relationship between the Doctor and the companion to really cement.

Sad King Billy posted:

Why? All the early reviews have singled her out as being one of the strongest aspects of the new season and there's not a ton of other information we have on her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

echoplex has said on several occasions she's the loveliest person, and I trust him.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

The_Doctor posted:

echoplex has said on several occasions she's the loveliest person, and I trust him.

Just going from what I have seen of the trailers, I know that they don't always give the full picture and my instincts aren't 100% accurate but that is my impression from the brief glimpses I saw.

Not a slight on the actresses acting skills, I'm sure she will be better than Clara, then again Adric was better than Clara.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Sad King Billy posted:

Just going from what I have seen of the trailers, I know that they don't always give the full picture and my instincts aren't 100% accurate but that is my impression from the brief glimpses I saw.

Not a slight on the actresses acting skills, I'm sure she will be better than Clara, then again Adric was better than Clara.

You either hate Clara a lot more than is considered healthy, or else you never had to live through the Adric episodes. And no, getting to skim them on netflix (or whatever) is NOT the same as seeing original serialized episodes, even on PBS (the only way to see them in N.America in the 80s). The episodic format back then meant that Adric episodes were like 4X longer than any modern episode. Think nails on a chalkboard for an eternity.

Also (and a bit weird), they killed Clara a whole bunch of times, but they only had to kill Adric once and he stayed dead. ;-)

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

sunnyboy posted:

You either hate Clara a lot more than is considered healthy, or else you never had to live through the Adric episodes. And no, getting to skim them on netflix (or whatever) is NOT the same as seeing original serialized episodes, even on PBS (the only way to see them in N.America in the 80s). The episodic format back then meant that Adric episodes were like 4X longer than any modern episode. Think nails on a chalkboard for an eternity.

Also (and a bit weird), they killed Clara a whole bunch of times, but they only had to kill Adric once and he stayed dead. ;-)

That was Adric's plus point, he stayed dead, at least outside of Big Finish.

Hate is too strong a word, dislike yes but hate is a little excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I thought Clara lacked character for her first season with Matt Smith and for a bit of the beginning with Capaldi, but that she was actually pretty good after that, whereas there is nothing redeeming about Adric. I don't know who I would say my least favorite New Who companion is. Mickey, probably (Adam doesn't count). He was just a huge chip in a shoulder for way too long. (I'm also not a big fan of Dodo, Harry Sullivan and, don't kill me, Tegan or Peri, although with Peri, it stems almost entirely from the weird choice to make her struggle through an American accent all of the time).

• Locked thread