Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Elysium posted:

Is there a goon recommendation for a cordless drill for various DIY house projects? The rest of the internets suggests Dewalt or Milwaulkee, although this list suggests Bosch. Most of that list also is the smaller 12v drills, and not the 18v ones. I get that they are lighter and cheaper, but should I get an 18v one just in case I do something that needs more power? Is it worth it to also get a dedicated driver?

I've got a bunch of Makita 18V tools that I love, and the driver probably sees the most use by a factor of two or three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

While we're talking about lawns and landscaping, I want to complain about the previous owners of our house. They tore out a considerable amount of landscaping done by the previous owners, probably valued around $4000 to $6000.

On top of that, they dumped soil and mulch on the existing rock landscaping. I only found that out while weeding the front beds. I'm going to have to pay someone to redo the entire thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

While we're talking about lawns and landscaping, I want to complain about the previous owners of our house. They tore out a considerable amount of landscaping done by the previous owners, probably valued around $4000 to $6000.

On top of that, they dumped soil and mulch on the existing rock landscaping. I only found that out while weeding the front beds. I'm going to have to pay someone to redo the entire thing.

The former is potentially a good move depending. I've seem some really really bad poo poo. In fact, back in the day when I did that kind of thing for a living I did some really, really bad poo poo. But you do what they ask so you get the check.

The latter......that's not okay.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Droo posted:

I would get a 20V Dewalt one - and the driver has been almost useless to me as a homeowner, but I do use a hammer drill occasionally for concrete and steel so you might consider just buying a hammer drill in the first place. Something like this kit I guess (I haven't researched which 20V hammerdrill is best though) https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCD98...0V+hammer+drill

I have mostly Dewalt 18V XRP tools, but they are killing off the 18V line so they aren't worth buying.

Does "driver" mean impact driver? Even if you don't really "need" one to do whatever you're doing they're a lot nicer to use if you're driving tons of screws because they don't cam out as easily.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

brugroffil posted:

I've got a bunch of Makita 18V tools that I love, and the driver probably sees the most use by a factor of two or three.

Another vote for Makita here, my dewalt set was getting old and my wife got me a few Makitas last Christmas after doing some really OCD research and they're my favorite by far.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The charger can play different songs when you plug the battery in and when it's done charging!

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Does "driver" mean impact driver? Even if you don't really "need" one to do whatever you're doing they're a lot nicer to use if you're driving tons of screws because they don't cam out as easily.

Yeah I was talking about an impact driver, useless was a strong word - I have used mine occasionally but as a homeowner doing small stuff I pretty much just predrill and then just switch the bit on the same drill I grabbed when I started.

If I was building decks or installing closets all day I would use it all the time I'm sure.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Nodelphi posted:

Another vote for Makita here, my dewalt set was getting old and my wife got me a few Makitas last Christmas after doing some really OCD research and they're my favorite by far.

So this, perhaps? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9YL77C/

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

Has anybody gotten their dirt floor crawl space encapsulated? I had an estimate done with a quote of $3,000-4,000 to cover 900sqft and that seemed pretty insane. Since all I care about is setting up a moisture barrier I was considering doing it myself with some plastic sheeting but I don't know if there's some other aspect to it that I'm missing.

Is encapsulation the same as just the plastic vapor barrier on the ground/walls?

I got it done for free because I income qualified (!!!) for a home energy overhaul. That said, I don't think anything they did was valued that highly. I think it's just plastic sheeting that overlaps and is attached up the concrete walls.

I'm not crazy about my ~3 ft crawl space, but I'd spend an afternoon down there rolling plastic before I spent a fraction of that. Bug bomb it a week before and hook up a flood light.

I honestly can't say how much if a difference it made since it was done alongside other changes and more insulation. I imagine it's more important in some climates than others.

My crawl space is always bone dry, so I can't imagine being in one of these climates where you are pumping out several inches of water or whatever.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hex shank or bust for light/medium home use, especially if you're buying all new.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have you been into your crawlspace before? How much room to move is there? The ones I've been in have had maybe a couple of feet of clearance above my head, and I would really not relish the thought of trying to crawl around in one, on bare dirt and rocks, with just portable lamps for illumination, trying to maneuver a big, unwieldy sheet of plastic and a stapler.

Some jobs are expensive not because they're complicated but just because they're really unpleasant to do.

If they're leveling the dirt floor and turning it into a usable space I could believe it. These guys were talking about 20 mil+ thick plastic sheeting covering the floor and going 4ft up the wall with an under layer with little water channels so you could use the crawlspace as a clean storage area. I'll call around some more and see what a basic set it & forget it solution looks like.

Thesaurus posted:

Is encapsulation the same as just the plastic vapor barrier on the ground/walls?

I got it done for free because I income qualified (!!!) for a home energy overhaul. That said, I don't think anything they did was valued that highly. I think it's just plastic sheeting that overlaps and is attached up the concrete walls.

I'm not crazy about my ~3 ft crawl space, but I'd spend an afternoon down there rolling plastic before I spent a fraction of that. Bug bomb it a week before and hook up a flood light.

I honestly can't say how much if a difference it made since it was done alongside other changes and more insulation. I imagine it's more important in some climates than others.

My crawl space is always bone dry, so I can't imagine being in one of these climates where you are pumping out several inches of water or whatever.

I'm in Colorado so moisture isn't really *that* much of an issue. The whole area is pretty high in radon but my place is literally just across the threshold of 4 pCi/L (at 4.1) so I'm wondering if this could help nudge me under.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 11, 2017

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Holy poo poo, my buddies own a house with decramastic (metal + chip tile) roofing, this was apparently common in NZ in the 70s. They got home last night to find that someone had waterblasted all the chip off their roof, presumably having gone to the wrong house.

So there's bitumen chip spread all over their property. Which, after testing, turns out to contain asbestos.

Insurance company is talking about it being a major contamination, demolition-and-remove-all-the-soil-and-rebuild situation, with the police still trying to track down the crew that did it.

It's a hell of a nightmare situation - at least the insurance side is being very helpful.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xiw posted:

Holy poo poo, my buddies own a house with decramastic (metal + chip tile) roofing, this was apparently common in NZ in the 70s. They got home last night to find that someone had waterblasted all the chip off their roof, presumably having gone to the wrong house.

So there's bitumen chip spread all over their property. Which, after testing, turns out to contain asbestos.

Insurance company is talking about it being a major contamination, demolition-and-remove-all-the-soil-and-rebuild situation, with the police still trying to track down the crew that did it.

It's a hell of a nightmare situation - at least the insurance side is being very helpful.

:stonklol:

I don't even know where I'd start on that.

Content:

You shall be avenged, tacky-bass mailbox. Not even something as terrible as a bass mailbox deserves this.

Godamned kids.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No, that mailbox definitely deserved that

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I really hope it played music like those stupid motion sensitive wall hanging fish things from the 90s.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Elysium posted:

Is there a goon recommendation for a cordless drill for various DIY house projects? The rest of the internets suggests Dewalt or Milwaulkee, although this list suggests Bosch. Most of that list also is the smaller 12v drills, and not the 18v ones. I get that they are lighter and cheaper, but should I get an 18v one just in case I do something that needs more power? Is it worth it to also get a dedicated driver?

Buy into a cordless line that has a good variety of tools, such as Makita or Milwaukee. I'd also get the 18v line over the 12v, simply because there's more tools and innovation going on there. DeWalts 20v is just peak charging voltage marketing wank, it's the same 18v cells as everything else. Dewalt is ok, just not as many options available. I personally own a shitload of Makita tools and they are phenomenal, I don't think I would ever buy another corded tool if there's a decent battery alternative, just simply no need (excluding high discharge stuff like angle grinders).

I would also buy a five pieceish kit, so you start out with a couple of batteries and a drill, driver, circular saw, sawzall kinda deal. Also, I would look at the Makita subcompact line if you don't need heavier duty stuff, that line looks pretty spiffy in my opinion, especially for the kinda stuff it sounds like you'd be doing.

E: Also, I wouldn't be buying five amp hour battery stuff, three amp hour is a nice sweet spot between weight and longevity. I've got the 3 amp hour batteries, and I can cut down several sheets of plywood with my circular saw or use my trimmer for an hour no problem. I've spent all day on projects and had plenty of capacity to do everything I needed to, and swap out and recharge as needed.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 11, 2017

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Motronic posted:

The former is potentially a good move depending. I've seem some really really bad poo poo. In fact, back in the day when I did that kind of thing for a living I did some really, really bad poo poo. But you do what they ask so you get the check.

The latter......that's not okay.

It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't tear out the bushes along the side of the house and fence and eliminated the symmetry of the original owners' landscaping. We're planning on replanting bushes at the very least, but the landscaping beds? Completely shot. I can't even get rid of the dandelions because of the rocks directly underneath them.

Otherwise, anyone have advice on DIY landscaping?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

I can't even get rid of the dandelions because of the rocks directly underneath them.

2,4D. It will take a couple of weeks, but they will be gone. If you can be selective about only hitting the beds you can even use glyphosate in this situation, but you could hit your lawn with the 2,4-D to get rid of the dandelions there without killing the grass.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Yeah the only shortcoming my Makita Driver has was the bits I bought it with, but I've shipped myself a hex shank set that I'm optimistic about.

I put together my grill with it in about an hour last night, I love it. (The grill, the drill, everything.)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

DJCobol posted:

I really hope it played music like those stupid motion sensitive wall hanging fish things from the 90s.

Take Me to the River or Mr. Postman? Why not both!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DTaeKim posted:

I can't even get rid of the dandelions because of the rocks directly underneath them.

Sounds like 2-4D is your best bet, but you should be able to yank out the dandelions and get the taproot. If you don't already have one, get the Fiskars weed remover, it's just phenomenal and incredibly satisfying to use

I just used it to yank dandelions out of my yard yesterday, and only had a couple of shovelfuls worth, compared to the multiple five gallon buckets I collected last year, and these were mostly along the periphery of my yard where there's nothing else growing. By pulling out the taproots last year my yard is in great shape this year.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

MrYenko posted:

:stonklol:

I don't even know where I'd start on that.

Yeah I'll try and get some pics today - heading down to take their cat to a cattery since they'll be out for a while and the timing is awful as one's overseas and one can't drive!

It's right up there with 'oh we accidentally demolished your house while you were at work' for nightmare scenarios.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

What's everyone budget for their yearly household maintenance separate from emergency fund? Like, 1% of purchase price per year?

What do you end up using to draw it down? I was going to use it to cover my lawn care over the summer, but didn't want to miss anything dumb.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What's everyone budget for their yearly household maintenance separate from emergency fund? Like, 1% of purchase price per year?

What do you end up using to draw it down? I was going to use it to cover my lawn care over the summer, but didn't want to miss anything dumb.

Don't draw it down, the whole idea is that some years you may have <$500 maintenance, and some years you will have >$20k.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I made a long effortpost about this recently, but I'll summarize: how much your maintenance will cost varies massively with the condition, size, construction style, and (especially) age of your home, and the cost of labor and materials where you live. There is no general rule of thumb that will be useful to everyone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm planning to put away about 0.5% annually, but I live in an expensive area and I seeded the account with about 2% when I moved in last year. Voluntary expenses (small renovations, furniture for moving in, lawn care, etc) come out of general funds.

E: my house is 7 years old, and built to match the one the builder built for himself next door. My contractors have all remarked on how well it was put together. Nonetheless, we get weather and poo poo happens.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

And you keep a separate, running account for this purpose different from your all-purpose emergency fund?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We've got an emergency fund, a medium term savings fund that would cover things like a roof replacement, new A/C or furnace, etc., and a shorter term house maintenance fund that covers all the little poo poo: batteries, yard tools, landscape supplies, lightbulbs, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I will take general emergency money out of non-registered investments. I admit that I'm not too worried about emergencies. I keep maintenance money separate for now, because I expect to draw it down more frequently.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Found the post I made (in the home buying thread)

Leperflesh posted:

10% annually in maintenance costs is way too high for a home that isn't so bad it's close to being condemned. 1-2% annually is a much more reasonable budget for a reasonably modern and decent condition house.

However, a one-time 10% charge is totally possible. The issue is, it's 1-2% annually on average for a properly maintained home made from normal materials and up to code, over the span of decades. You may go for many years only needing to do minor repairs and maintenance, and then have a year where you need a new roof, new sewer system, new driveway, or all three.

As an aside, the cost of a roof replacement is highly dependent on the complexity of the roof. A 3000 square foot house with a very complex roof could easily cost $25k or more. My 1200 square foot house with a very simple roof would cost less than $10k. This is equally true of most other numbers you'll see. A simple run of 100 feet of wooden fence replacement by a local handyman with no permits needed might cost as little as $1k. 100 feet of nice new fencing on a sloped yard with three corners and a gate, done by a contractor, with permits required, could cost five times that.

A simple sewer line that can easily be excavated and replaced could be done for maybe $5k. Or, as for my parents, a collapsing ceramic line below grade under a driveway that requires demo of the driveway and a segment of sidewalk and some of the street, engineering of a new line, replacement of the driveway and sidewalk piece and street, $30k is a possibility.

The lesson here is that any "rule of thumb" about what percentage of home replacement cost or property value or whatever, is nearly useless. You need to pay attention to the age, condition, construction style, and particulars of any property and make a sober assessment of what the maintenance and repair costs are likely to be. When house hunting, focus less on the specific nice-to-have features you like (ooh this house has a double vanity in the master bath, but that house has a sink in the island in the kitchen) and more on the "bones" of the house and its situation (this house has drainage problems right next to the foundation, while that house has suspicious looking stains on the basement walls, and this third house was built in 1910 so it probably still has knob-and-tube wiring). For newer construction, look at the complexity of the roofline, how much fencing it has, how well the windows are holding up, whether the house is in a floodplain. It goes on and on. Your pre-purchase inspection is intended to identify specific deficiencies in the property, but it's not intended to inform you that your roof skylights and complex gutter configuration is nearly doubling the cost of the roof replacement you'll be needing in 10 years.

This was one of the value-adds we got from our excellent realtor, by the way. There is a lot of anger in this thread directed at useless super expensive poo poo realtors, and deservedly so because it's a bad industry full of bad actors; but a really good realtor can help you out a lot if he or she bothers to point out features and issues you might not have noticed or considered, while house hunting. Ours taught us to notice things like sloping floors, steep yards that might erode or slump when its wet, finding the location of the sewer cleanout (if you can't find one, that's not a good sign), peeking into the main circuit panel to see if it's new or old, noticing if most of the outlets are grounded or not, noticing if you're stepping up a half inch when you go into the kitchen because it has three or four layers of different floorings layered on top of one another, all kinds of things like that that we weren't really looking at at first.

So tl:dr, take any guess or rule of thumb about maintenance costs as being very, very flimsy. The specifics of a house's condition, age, construction, and the lot configuration massively overwhelm any general rule.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Thanks for reposting that, LF. That's where I got the hang of "1% annually," but I see clearly now how you've arrived at it.

We live in a modest house built in 2005 in a relatively inexpensive part of the country with an exceedingly simple roof.

The materials inside are slightly shabby but the home is new enough that nothing major has caught up with the home yet.

I don't really know what I expect to fail, but we have the cash that we could float any repair short of a 100% structural replacement immediately.

I'll budget for the lawn care and take into account other expenses as they manifest.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm looking at having a professional service perform two fairly significant tasks for my home:

1. Complete an electrical panel upgrade, which includes the following:
- Wire a 150A "all in one" service. This is to replace my current panel, which is only 100A, to support the AC unit.
- Wire a new circuit, btw 31-50ft.
- Pull the relevant permit

Total, including parts, labor, material, outside GFI if needed: $2,600

2. Install a 3 ton Bryant 13 SEER rated model, which includes the following:
- Condensate pump installation
- Correcting a flue pipe issue that currently violates code standards
- Wi-Fi thermostat (meh)

Total, including parts, labor, material and taxes: $4,200

This would put the total cost for a panel upgrade at about $6,800. I've done some price quoting online and this seems to be about average. I'm not skilled enough to do these tasks on my own, so DIY isn't an option. The installer assures me it can be completed in one day.

I'm in the Denver area. Does that quote seem too high or reasonable for the work performed?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

And you keep a separate, running account for this purpose different from your all-purpose emergency fund?

No. If the roof were to need replacing we would use our general emergency fund. We started down a path to madness micromanaging our savings (Car Replacement Fund, Roof Replacement Fund, etc) then realized it was insanity. We keep out 6 month emergency fund and put all extra money into it. As it grows too large we do something with the money. (Spend, Invest, whatever.)

To be frank, at your cash flow levels it should be work out fine, and for total house replacement it's hopefully something covered by your home owners insurance. If you need a new roof you can likely save the funds in a few months.

ex post facho posted:

I'm looking at having a professional service perform two fairly significant tasks for my home:

1. Complete an electrical panel upgrade, which includes the following:
- Wire a 150A "all in one" service. This is to replace my current panel, which is only 100A, to support the AC unit.

Total, including parts, labor, material, outside GFI if needed: $2,600

2. Install a 3 ton Bryant 13 SEER rated model, which includes the following:
- Condensate pump installation
- Correcting a flue pipe issue that currently violates code standards
- Wi-Fi thermostat (meh)

Total, including parts, labor, material and taxes: $4,200

I'm in the Denver area. Does that quote seem too high or reasonable for the work performed?

$2.6k for a panel replacement is fine, however go to a 200A service. Why half rear end it now? It will likely not cost a significant amount more, and if you get a competing bid for "replacement panel, 200A service, wire for HVAC installation" it might even cost the same. Take that quote to your current guy and ask for it to be 200A.

Check with your city that you won't have any other code upgrades you have to do as a result.

$4k sounds normal for HVAC. This is to tie into an existing forced air unit right?

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 12, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

H110Hawk posted:

To be frank, at your cash flow levels it should be work out fine

Yeah but you're under the delusion I am doing this because I have to. This is FUN for me, I ENJOY this. I don't know why, but sometime after I turned 30 all of a sudden I cared about turning the lights off in the house and keeping the thermostat at 68 like wtf do I care for?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah but you're under the delusion I am doing this because I have to. This is FUN for me, I ENJOY this. I don't know why, but sometime after I turned 30 all of a sudden I cared about turning the lights off in the house and keeping the thermostat at 68 like wtf do I care for?

I was only talking about the accounting side of it. Saving money of my bills is fun hobby I encourage everyone to participate in as long as it doesn't become a /r/frugal I wash my clothes in the bathtub obsession. I pretty obsessively turn off the 24W (6Wx4 bulb) fixture in my bedroom as I walk out despite knowing I will be back in a few minutes and the annual cost to operate likely being less than a dollar.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ex post facho posted:

Always get at least two quotes. I have no idea if that's reasonable, there's too many factors at play, but always get at least two quotes. If nothing else, different contractors will have different opinions on how much needs to be done -- there's always the cheap guy that will do the bare minimum (which leads to problems down the road when you discover he decided to drill through your sewer line to run a cable rather than reroute), the one that'll try to sell you on a gold-plated solution for four times as much cash as you wanted to spend, and hopefully several folks in-between. But when you have no familiarity with the domain, you have no real way of judging where a single quote lies on that spectrum. Asking for more quotes lets you compare and contrast the different offers, and then you can go back to each contractor and say "So why don't you think it's necessary to do X (that some other contractor suggested doing)?"

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

$2.6k for a panel replacement is fine, however go to a 200A service. Why half rear end it now? It will likely not cost a significant amount more, and if you get a competing bid for "replacement panel, 200A service, wire for HVAC installation" it might even cost the same. Take that quote to your current guy and ask for it to be 200A.

Check with your city that you won't have any other code upgrades you have to do as a result.

$4k sounds normal for HVAC. This is to tie into an existing forced air unit right?

Correct, I have an existing forced air furnace and ducting.

I asked about why not 200A, and the inspector said the vast majority of homes never come close to 200A unless you're using a ton of additional electrical equipment/appliances regularly, which I am not. I've also made it a point to use HE lighting and other appliances throughout. Only two people live in my home and that will be all for the forseeable future.

That said I'm not opposed to a 200A, bur it seems unnecessary if I can get away with 150A. All told after taxes I'm looking at $6,800.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 12, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

ex post facho posted:

Correct, I have an existing forced air furnace and ducting.

I asked about why not 200A, and the inspector said the vast majority of homes never come close to 200A unless you're using a ton of additional electrical equipment/appliances regularly, which I am not. I've also made it a point to use HE lighting and other appliances throughout. Only two people live in my home and that will be all for the forseeable future.

That said I'm not opposed to a 200A, bur it seems unnecessary if I can get away with 150A. All told after taxes I'm looking at $6,800.

If you only have a single 3 ton AC unit you will probably never have a problem at 150A. On the other hand, if your existing meter and street feed are already big enough to support a 200A panel, it might only cost you like $50 more to get the bigger panel.

If the only difference in the job was literally paying extra for the bigger main breaker panel, I would go with the 200 personally. Running out of space/capacity three years from now because you wanted to save $50 would be really annoying.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Not that you don't need to upgrade to 150A or even 200A, but I have 100A and I was considering upgrading until I did the math and realized I could literally add a hot tub and still not top a total calculated load of 90A. (1870 sqft and pretty much all gas appliances)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Not that you don't need to upgrade to 150A or even 200A, but I have 100A and I was considering upgrading until I did the math and realized I could literally add a hot tub and still not top a total calculated load of 90A. (1870 sqft and pretty much all gas appliances)

A lot of new construction is 200A, and that includes rapid cut-corner construction. The breakers are within a few bucks of each other, slightly larger wire from your meter to your main breaker (which is a 2-3' span at most.) If you want to upgrade in the future it is another $2,600. Your contractor may not even charge you more for this upgrade if you ask really nicely.

Also: Have them use the Square-D panel with "plug-on neutral" - it looks super nice and I regret not getting it when I rewired our 1250 sqft house powered by a 60A service to 200A without adding any additional load. If you decide to start adding (or are required by this panel swap) AFCI/GFCI breakers it will save you labor and wire spaghetti.