Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Snak posted:

From my last watch through, I remember exactly one lovely episode. That episodes is s2e18 "DI: Angel's Poem – TRANS PARENT". (It's not about trans people). It's really boring. Especially for how late in the season it comes. It feels like complete filler.

Cats Eye was kinda weak too. If I'm getting the name wrong, I mean the Oceans Eleven episode.

EDIT: TRANS PARENT was set in Germany right? It's a shame, the UK episode was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Cats Eye was kinda weak too. If I'm getting the name wrong, I mean the Oceans Eleven episode.

EDIT: TRANS PARENT was set in Germany right? It's a shame, the UK episode was great.

Yeah, it's Cash Eye, because it's a reference to a famous anime and manga Cat's Eye by Tsukasa Hojo, who would later become more famous for City Hunter.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, it's set in Germany because Wings of Desire is. The whole plot is just to copy the shot of the angels on the statue... a massive contrived reference. A reference to a great film, but they don't do anything particularly interesting with it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

What I mostly remember from the first season of Stand Alone Complex is the episode that entirely takes place in a virtual chatroom, as silly as that may sound.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mierenneuker posted:

What I mostly remember from the first season of Stand Alone Complex is the episode that entirely takes place in a virtual chatroom, as silly as that may sound.

I only remember the courtroom episode and consider that the only good episode.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
The refugee episode mentioned before gets a lot of hate, and that is one long Taxi Driver reference. I'm starting to see a theme of episodes that don't land being based around shoe-horning in references to other works.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The refugee episode mentioned before gets a lot of hate, and that is one long Taxi Driver reference. I'm starting to see a theme of episodes that don't land being based around shoe-horning in references to other works.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Saito's episode and that's based off the sniper scene finale of Full Metal Jacket.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The one where he gets recruited? That one's amazing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snak posted:

From my last watch through, I remember exactly one lovely episode. That episodes is s2e18 "DI: Angel's Poem – TRANS PARENT". (It's not about trans people). It's really boring. Especially for how late in the season it comes. It feels like complete filler.
There's one, or a few, where the animation is so Buttlord GT 4th string Chinese/Korean Reject Crew that I'm pretty sure the Major is about as wide as she is tall.

Specifically, I remember someone watching her through a rear-view mirror as they drive away and she is stacked.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

There's one, or a few, where the animation is so Buttlord GT 4th string Chinese/Korean Reject Crew that I'm pretty sure the Major is about as wide as she is tall.

Specifically, I remember someone watching her through a rear-view mirror as they drive away and she is stacked.

There are a couple episodes where they have like, guest artists/art directors and everything looks different for one episode, and it's like equal parts neat and distracting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-japan-wont-save-ghost-shell-being-a-box-office-flop-992349

Seems like people are liking the film in Japan and that has resulted in a $3 million opening weekend. Does anyone know if that's like a huge or small number for Japan? IIRC Kill Bill did $3 million in its opening weekend in Japan too and that was considered record setting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's pretty bad. Resident Evil: Afterlife did 8.2

Edit: I guess Age of Ultron only did 6.4. so maybe 3 is pretty decent for the size of GitS.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Wonder if the 3.2 score they mention is arrived at in the same manner as the metacritic score for gits, which was established only very recently and by counting only 14 out of 100+ actual reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/ghost-in-the-shell

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snak posted:

That's pretty bad. Resident Evil: Afterlife did 8.2

Edit: I guess Age of Ultron only did 6.4. so maybe 3 is pretty decent for the size of GitS.

RE:A was an absurdly huge surprise hit in much of Asia, especially China and Japan. Not a good metric.

GitS's Japan opening was fine, as was it's China opening (where it took number 1 and outperformed most recent western action releases). Hopes were on it being a more stellar hit, but it's just kind of solid performance for a summer action flick. It also did well, but not amazing, in Korea.

The way a large portion of production costs as well as marketing in most asian countries were covered by a Chinese studio and local theater chains, I don't think this is the huge loss maker it's been made out to be. However, the degree to which this will put GitS over being financially "okay" is... hard to say. Not a whole lot of info on production/release strategies like this to do armchair analysis with.

I think it's safe to say the whitewashing issue surrounding the film in the west has poisoned any possibility for a future installment though. Rights are still in the hands of Dreamworks, I believe, which is just the founders now... so hypothetically they could do something with only the Chinese side of production and not Paramount, kind of like the Pacific Rim 2 situation (But that was a much more notable hit in China). I wouldn't hold my breathe though.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Caught this at the weekend and really enjoyed it. Haven't seen the 1995 version in some time, but this felt like an interesting rebuttal to that movie.

The most significant change being that the titular Ghost is reinterpreted into something that resembles The Holy Ghost. So Kuze and his human network of puppets - the restless Ghost that lingers and haunts the living (repeating the mistakes of Hanka). Contrast with the Major and section 9 - with emphasis placed upon consent, trust and the underlying tension that brings.

Batou: You trust me right?
Major:"Yeah I do, I just don't like it"

Also great visuals tying all the major themes together - like the running dialogue in the movie surrounding being haunted by memories and diving into a void, contrast with rising to the surface and emerging as something new - really great visual storytelling.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

It's at least past production costs and it sounds like the director's cut might redeem it in the eyes of some portion of fans. If the theatrical run breaks even I'd be surprised if they didn't do more with the property (TV adaptation of SAC?).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's a lot of garbage that does well in Asia, it doesn't "redeem" anything unless you're stupid, and in the case of China in particular, god only knows how much of that gross goes into the hands of Party officials or whether it's even a real number.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A lot of garbage does well in the west too, how is that different. The gently caress is your point?

China is a coveted box office market, even with losses to corruption.

Paolomania posted:

It's at least past production costs and it sounds like the director's cut might redeem it in the eyes of some portion of fans. If the theatrical run breaks even I'd be surprised if they didn't do more with the property (TV adaptation of SAC?).

Honestly, a series that was just this version of Batou and Togusa, like Innocence, would be my ideal followup.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 11, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There is an easy solution to making a followup: recast the Major. Their stuoid copot in this movie even gave them an in-universe reason why it could happen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dont even fink about it posted:

There's a lot of garbage that does well in Asia, it doesn't "redeem" anything unless you're stupid, and in the case of China in particular, god only knows how much of that gross goes into the hands of Party officials or whether it's even a real number.

I just found it interesting because I saw some sites citing that number acting like that means it's like a surprise breakout mega hit in Japan with others saying it's doing pretty bad.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I just found it interesting because I saw some sites citing that number acting like that means it's like a surprise breakout mega hit in Japan with others saying it's doing pretty bad.

It's doing quite well relative to other western action movies, but it's not a breakaway hit like Alice in Wonderland. It's performance in much of Asia is on par or better than the Marvel movies, which is generally the most reliable western franchise on this side of the globe. It can't really be called a disappointment for the region, unless someone had unrealistic expectations.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 11, 2017

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

So I take it you missed the discussion from a few pages back on the screeners that saw a movie with more scenes, more ponderously long shots, and more philosophy.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress the haters, I enjoyed this. Can it be a much better film? gently caress yeah, I want my director's cut. But it wasn't terrible. Hell, slice out the opening narration and the film already becomes pretty good. But I'm fairly sure that poo poo is required by studio committee at this point, because something something mass market audiences.

The cinematography and graphics is well done and ScaJo is actually pulls off the "not at home in own body" pretty drat well, and Takeshi Kitano is just chewing up the scenery, and that's awesome. Hell the rest of the cast is drat competent, even if their characters are under-explored.

This is probably the best adaptation of a Japanese anime/manga/light novel property by a major hollywood studio, including Edge of Tomorrow.

I know we all wanted an arthouse cyberpunk film, but if you walked into this with any shred of hope that this was the case, I have a bridge to sell you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Edge of Tomorrow is a waaayyyyy better movie than this.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hmm, I disagree.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
World of Warcraft did well in China.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Snak posted:

Oh poo poo yes, it's not even a competition.

It's good that some people liked this, but I just couldn't believe how bored I was in the cinema. About an hour in, after she's captured by HANKA and puts up no fight for no reason, I was overcome by a sense of boredom, like I didn't give a poo poo about what happened. The "mystery" of Kuze, the Major's "journey", just didn't care. I didn't like her, I didn't know anything about her except she used to be Japanese.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Kuze really wasn't important at all, they should have made him go full-villain or remove him and build up Cutter.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That's a bad opinion. I would like to see more of him and have him more fleshed out, but not be more villainous. He has a couple really good scenes, so don't remove him either. And in no way should Cutter get any more screentime. That guy was pointless.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Saw this the other day and er...hmmm...

I think I left the cinema with an overriding sense of disappointment and many many questions. I mean I knew it wasn't going to be amazing, but I think my overall impression was that it just didn't try very hard. At one point my eyes were almost rolling at the many scenes the movie had basically lifted either from the original movie or the TV series and implanted into it. I don't know how many fans enjoyed that, but to me it just felt slightly lazy.

That's the issue I had with it at the end of the movie. That it felt lazy and rushed. That the director or producer or someone, wasn't confident in making his own rendition, so decided to cut and plaster the original works in with the most paper-thin of paste. Then, strangely, there would be scenes or instances in which the movie did go its own way and in those tiny microcosms it showed an inkling of having a good original idea.

I didn't hate the movie and in some ways I'm glad it exists, but I feel like it could have tried much harder. It's definitely a three star movie. I would say that the cast carry what is at times a very thin script very well and I liked everyone. I'd even say ScarJo's rendition of the Major was pretty well done. It's just that the story doesn't work and in their effort to condense into a live action movie without bogging the viewer down (which is strange really given the larger audience will be fans of the original work), they created something that doesn't work very well and feels awkward.

Funnily enough I left thinking this would make a good TV series on Netflix.

Oh well. I'll pick it up on Blu-Ray.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Snak posted:

That's like saying a nice meal is better than a plate full of regurgitated turds.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
That reminds me, someone a few pages back complained that the book version of All You Need Is Kill wasn't translated. There is a regular, non-manga, book in English. I read it a few years ago and thought it was okay. Don't go out of your way to get it though.

I might have parts of it confused with Re:Zero since they're kind of the same premise, but I think it went into how psychologically damaged Cage would get from the constant respawning as opposed to how Tom Cruise rolls with it and becomes a better man in the movie. Apart from that, I think Edge of Tomorrow was a far more fun version of that story.

Gits17 was neither fun nor interesting. It's just all around forgettable. I'd like a buddy cop movie with the section 9 chief and Batou instead.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 11, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Donnerberg posted:

I might have parts of it confused with Re:Zero since they're kind of the same premise, but I think it went into how psychologically damaged Cage would get from the constant respawning as opposed to how Tom Cruise rolls with it and becomes a better man in the movie. Apart from that, I think Edge of Tomorrow was a far more fun version of that story.

He gets pretty depressed and downbeat about halfway through. Not as much as Bill Murray did in Groundhog Day but still, it clearly sucked a lot for quite some time before he found his mojo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lT0tbFXD9w

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 11, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I need to watch that again, some of the deaths in the beach scene were pretty funny.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He gets pretty depressed and downbeat about halfway through. Not as much as Bill Murray did in Groundhog Day but still, it clearly sucked a lot for quite some time before he found his mojo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lT0tbFXD9w

It's good sequence. It's followed by the part where he runs away to the bar and aliens show up, right? Cruise can't catch a break. His character does the Bill Murray thing in the novel though, suicide and all. He's initially terrified and then depressed by being caught in the loop. The team up with Rita happens later after he's already become obsessed with killing his way out of the loop. He starts to see it as a game, growing cold and distant. In the movie, the closest you get to that is when he doesn't save the guys at the beach and uses a life to see where the end boss lives.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I need to watch that again, some of the deaths in the beach scene were pretty funny.

I think Edge of Tomorrow is just about the only good Western movie to come out of anime. Pacific Rim is a runner up we extend it to anime themed movies. Chronicle is an interesting and dark superhero thing worth mentioning that seems to be inspired by Akira.

I should see Speedracer since people talk warmly about it in this thread, but I've wanted a Hollywood version of Redline for a while now. I assume I'll be disappointed that Speedracer is not that. ...and I'm pretty sure if I wait a couple more years, Fast and Furious will be cars in space.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 11, 2017

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Production IG has announced they're doing a new Ghost in the Shell project, with the director from Stand Alone Complex in charge.

Please let it not be another Arise.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Motoko Kusanagi: High School Love Life

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It all depends who they get to write it. The main writer for Arise, Tow Ubukata, has almost nothing else under his belt. Kazuchika Kise, who was the chief director for 3/4 of Arise hasn't directed anything other than Arise and is primarily an artist.

In contrast, the new GitS project is going to be headed by Kenji Kamiyama, who was a writer and director on all of SAC (including 2nd Gig and SSS) and Shinji Aramaki, who directed the visually excellent (some may disagree) Appleseed, Appleseed Ex Machina, and Appleseed Alpha.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Kenji Kamiyama tweeted a while back that he was interested in doing a story possibly set in the Stand Alone Complex universe. Ever hopeful it's a third season or another movie. SAC universe seemed to be the most successful one for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't mind a reboot from them. SAC was great, but after both seasons and the movie and all the ground they covered, and how they left things, I'm not sure where they would go from there...

• Locked thread