Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Avenging Dentist posted:

The fun + cool thing about games that don't take too long is that if you have more free time you can get a couple rounds in, so you get a chance to try something different if you lost your first game or you just weren't having the best time.

I like the occasional multi-hour game but even when I'm doing a long session of gaming I'd usually rather be able to get in a few different games rather than one super-long one, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I'm incredibly cool and busy and can only play games :rolleyes: when my assistant can find 45 minutes and an opponent for me to play my lovingly detailed anime rear end + tittys skirmish game

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I'm incredibly cool and busy and can only play games :rolleyes: when my assistant can find 45 minutes and an opponent for me to play my lovingly detailed anime rear end + tittys skirmish game

I'm not cool I just have an infant and my wife works all week. It's super inconsiderate to ditch her for a whole day on the weekend so I can roll some dice. She doesn't care if I check out for a couple of hours during the day, but we have groceries to buy and parks to play at.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I like the occasional multi-hour game but even when I'm doing a long session of gaming I'd usually rather be able to get in a few different games rather than one super-long one, yeah

Many shorter games also let you add extra stuff in (e.g. board game expansions, larger armies) or string games together into campaigns if you like a longer game. I like playing games for a whole afternoon sometimes but having the atomic unit of play (i.e. whatever I can't break across multiple sessions easily) be fairly short gives me a lot more flexibility in fitting games into my schedule without having to plan my whole life around it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

:downswords: lovingly detailed anime rear end + tittys skirmish game

you really love to harp on this point as if a large percentage of the vanishingly small amount of female 40k models isnt an embarrassment of unnecessary sexualization

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I know this isn't the place for normal human discussion but i stayed away from infinity for a while since i saw all the weird sexualised stuff and i still get annoyed when they still bring out gross stuff like that tech bee (ugh) but my haqqislam force has nothing in it that embarrasses me and i don't feel like I'm hampered, same reason i never played sisters of battle, best just to ignore the bad stuff, most people you'd want to play with do as well.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Icon Of Sin posted:

I remember seeing some talk a while back about the X-Com board game. I picked up the new Doom and it seems to be fun, but I'm looking at X-Com for something slightly different (and I can also use the X-Com soldiers as Doom marines). How was it to play? Seems to have decent-ish reviews, at least on Amazon (4/5 stars there)

It's...fine. It feels like a noble attempt at a real-time game where you have multiple roles that all interact together while each person has their own duty to attend to, but it rapidly becomes clear that the roles aren't actually that different despite appearances, and that there isn't actually all that much space for decision making. Replayability isn't great either since after a couple of games it's obvious that there isn't a whole lot of difference from game to game and once you've developed a good enough strategy there's no real reason to deviate from it. The main mechanic of the game is a push-your-luck one as well, so you can end up losing tonnes of materials and resources on a bad dice roll.

I enjoyed the games I played of it, but it was my friend's copy and I have no desire to either play it again or buy it.

The superior real-time co-op game is Space Alert, you should check that out. If you want a real time game that's competitive between teams Captain Sonar is amazing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I'm the lovingly detailed anime rear end

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Sorry but i think you're a bit bony.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

by.a.teammate posted:

I know this isn't the place for normal human discussion but i stayed away from infinity for a while since i saw all the weird sexualised stuff and i still get annoyed when they still bring out gross stuff like that tech bee (ugh) but my haqqislam force has nothing in it that embarrasses me and i don't feel like I'm hampered, same reason i never played sisters of battle, best just to ignore the bad stuff, most people you'd want to play with do as well.

This isn't an unreasonable approach, but ultimately it places the burden on the consumer to avoid disagreeable portions of the hobby. Someone is always going to be offended by something, but I prefer a good faith approach where the company is actually trying to broaden the appeal of the hobby to as many people as possible. So long as the cheesecake, the boob armor, and the tits and rear end, etc are prevalent, it's going to drive people away. This is why I like Mantic's approach. Outside of aliens with gendered roles in their society (certain Veer-myn units are always female for instance because they have a matriarchy lead hive culture), the majority of female sculpts are just head swaps.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I played in a Kings of War tournament on the weekend, 4 games for the day, 2000 points, each game had a 2 hour time limit but all of them were finished at least 10 minutes early.

KoW doesn't really do centrepieces like Sadhammer used to do, but because LoS is abstract and it's the base footprint that matters, I made my Army Standard Bearer on Chariot, which by default looks like this (the middle one)

Look like this

without breaking any rules, or needing any houseruling to make it work.

Everyone had fun playing a tight, funtional, tactical ruleset, there were no dice offs for judgments, and the TO was called over to adjudicate so few times that he was able to play as well.

Full gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/hmx2R

Excerpts

Could totes just play the one game in 2 hours, 2:15 at most including setting up a basic table. 1500 points is even quicker.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I love that dino-thing :3

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

This isn't an unreasonable approach, but ultimately it places the burden on the consumer to avoid disagreeable portions of the hobby. Someone is always going to be offended by something, but I prefer a good faith approach where the company is actually trying to broaden the appeal of the hobby to as many people as possible. So long as the cheesecake, the boob armor, and the tits and rear end, etc are prevalent, it's going to drive people away. This is why I like Mantic's approach. Outside of aliens with gendered roles in their society (certain Veer-myn units are always female for instance because they have a matriarchy lead hive culture), the majority of female sculpts are just head swaps.

Women in combat gear, whether it's medieval/fantasy or modern/scifi having very obvious feminine figures is a pet peeve of mine.

This is a woman in combat gear. Notice how you probably wouldn't even have known it wasn't just a pretty dude if I hadn't told you and the filename wasn't female-soldier.jpg.

I'm not gonna not play a game over it or anything, but I really like when miniatures get female soldiers right.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Moola posted:

I love that dino-thing :3

It's a Paraceratherium, an ancient rhino, turned into a privateer ship on the great grass sea of the Mammoth Steppes; captured and tamed by a more experienced Ogre warrior, it's crewed by his veteran goblin retinue, and used to carry off loot and payment through the sea faster than any wagon, or in battle to carry the clan's standard as high as possible :buddy:

Everything "on chariot" in my army is gonna be on ancient mammals instead, because I think that's cooler and more suited to my theme. Also my goblin scout riders are going on velociraptors.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Geisladisk posted:

Women in combat gear, whether it's medieval/fantasy or modern/scifi having very obvious feminine figures is a pet peeve of mine.

This is a woman in combat gear. Notice how you probably wouldn't even have known it wasn't just a pretty dude if I hadn't told you and the filename wasn't female-soldier.jpg.

I'm not gonna not play a game over it or anything, but I really like when miniatures get female soldiers right.

Victoria Lamb's miniatures are pretty good with it. Though remember that the internet told Victoria Lamb that she doesn't know what a female looks like.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 11, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Modern body armour for women in the US military is different than the mens, but the differences are all internal - when someone from the internet was making the same criticisms about the Mantic GCPS figures sharing torsos between genders being :biotruths:wrong:biotruths:, someone came along and posted pics of his own wife in her new US army issued body armour and baggy fatigues, and without the face you'd never know what sexual organs were underneath it all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Modern body armour for women in the US military is different than the mens, but the differences are all internal - when someone from the internet was making the same criticisms about the Mantic GCPS figures sharing torsos between genders being :biotruths:wrong:biotruths:, someone came along and posted pics of his own wife in her new US army issued body armour and baggy fatigues, and without the face you'd never know what sexual organs were underneath it all.

Yeah, IIRC aren't the changes mostly just to make it sit better on shorter torsos with wider hips and narrower shoulders? You know, ergonomics.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, IIRC aren't the changes mostly just to make it sit better on shorter torsos with wider hips and narrower shoulders? You know, ergonomics.

That, and there's a space at the back of the neck to tuck a ponytail inside it without causing discomfort, plus it's slightly looser around the chest to accommodate breasts, for women carrying larger than an A they tend to be crushed underneath mens ones - and that's not visible externally either, like some torpedo tit breastplate, just as flat as the male ones.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's also about being able to tell what you're looking at, at a distance and it can be done! There are female figures, fully dressed and appropriate for the role, while still baring something of a feminine silhouette. If a unit is said to be this, that or the other, you want that visually present.
The TnA thing only bothers me when it's over the top. Like, Howling Banshees are acceptable to me, they're armoured from head to toe but then you get things like this;

Which annoys the ever-loving poo poo out of me! (They're so close and yet so far!) If they're meant to be armoured, make them armoured. Chain vests didn't/don't have boob windows! Insert harping on tiny metal tits here
I mean, would it kill them to go the other way and have a line of male figures in leather chaps, Fabio hair with bulging (or slight, as might be ones preference) and engrossing cod pieces? It's such an under utilised market!

Having said that, though, I always see minis as art. Whether you're after; small, cutesy things like Super Dungeon Explore or Reaper's Mouslings; really weird, hosed up poo poo like half of Kingdom Death or Daemons from GW; maybe you're just after something alluring or provocative to paint like the other half of Kingdom Death or work by independent sculptors or; just cool poo poo that makes you think "Time to gently caress poo poo up! :black101:"

There's something for almost everyone! Seriously, where are the beefcakes jutting their hips out with their hands behind their heads? You'd make a mint :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want my tom of Finland space dudes in bulging battle armor too, man.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

jfc what is the point of this? They've just ruined a striking art style by cutting random tit windows in it when it doesn't fit it all. Go all in and make loving elf ladies in chainmail bikinis if you want to go that way, commit to the high fantasy heavy metal poo poo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Counterpoint:

Obviously, this is a real photo is a woman in a combat environment. All of those sculptors are vindicated!

Chill la Chill posted:

I want my tom of Finland space dudes in bulging battle armor too, man.
How about armorless? (NWS)

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 11, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Drogo posted:

jfc what is the point of this? They've just ruined a striking art style by cutting random tit windows in it when it doesn't fit it all. Go all in and make loving elf ladies in chainmail bikinis if you want to go that way, commit to the high fantasy heavy metal poo poo.

Right!?
I remember seeing the concepts for them on kickstarter years ago. The one in the plate, i saw no indication that there should have been anything open but there you go, official paint job, open chested woman in otherwise full, plated mail.
The second one though, had me confused. At first, i thought they were bronze plates dangling from her neck for some kind of decoration! Then it was later clarified in sculpt and i couldn't help but facepalm. I mean, fucks sakes...

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Give me a JoJo skirmish game.

Edit: This in 28mm

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 11, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

berzerkmonkey posted:

How about armorless? (NWS)

I'm gonna say... Brother Vinni?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'd unironically play naked fire dwarfs too if they were in fabulous poses and well sculpted.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bistromatic posted:

Give me a JoJo skirmish game.

Edit: This in 28mm

:same:

They had a nice space dandy mini that's workable as a stylish but less muscular Jotaro or Josuke that I can't find now. The unfortunate thing is that you have to pay for the trio of space dandy and the two booby backup singers, when all I really wanted was space dandy. :negative:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
drat, i remember those minis. They really overdid it on those ladies. Could have been great otherwise.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

imagine having your mind so rotted by GW that "I want to play games that take 90 minutes or less" comes across as implausibly weird

The funny thing is that it wasn't even intended as a super-slam against GW, there are a bunch of good/cool games that I don't have time to play anymore. :( I stopped playing Warmachine because of it, I haven't tried to get involved in Infinity or Malifaux because I just don't get enough time to play them. So now I'm all about skirmish games that I can actually manage to play on a more than annual basis.

SWA is actually one of the games I may be able to start playing, because its a small-format game and I already know all the rules from mainlining Necromunda/2ed as a kid!

Irate Tree posted:

Like, Howling Banshees are acceptable to me, they're armoured from head to toe but then you get things like this;
One of the reasons that I am ok with Howling Banshees is that all male Eldar also have armor with sculpted pecs, and the poses aren't really any different from the other aspects. The female guardians have a different chestplate, but they still get sculpted abs and they share all the legs/arms, so they also have the same posing as the dudes. Dark Eldar are similar, although for some reason female Wyches get belly cutouts and the male ones don't get to flaunt their sick abs :colbert:

The dumb thing is that you can have miniatures that are recognizably female without having to goof their poses or give them out of place outfits.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Irate Tree posted:

I'm gonna say... Brother Vinni?

Not sure. It was posted on the Hasslefree Facebook page.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

One of the reasons that I am ok with Howling Banshees is that all male Eldar also have armor with sculpted pecs, and the poses aren't really any different from the other aspects. The female guardians have a different chestplate, but they still get sculpted abs and they share all the legs/arms, so they also have the same posing as the dudes.

well, OK, but also why would aliens have tits

I mean it's not like mammals would be anywhere but on Earth where they very very very clearly evolved.

OK ok don't actually answer this question, it's obvious. They're not actually aliens, they're Space Elves, and Tolkein-derived elves are obviously just extra-beautiful, extra-maudlin, extra-long-lived humans with a nature fetish. I understand.

But every time I see basically-human-but-with-this-one-specific-difference "aliens" I look at it as yet another wasted opportunity.

Which reminds me, I just saw Arrival and I really loved the aliens in that movie. They're so fuckin' weird that they're essentially incomprehensible to a normal human mind, and that's always been my image of what an actual intelligent alien would have to be.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tit squigs.

Obviously.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Leperflesh posted:

Which reminds me, I just saw Arrival and I really loved the aliens in that movie. They're so fuckin' weird that they're essentially incomprehensible to a normal human mind, and that's always been my image of what an actual intelligent alien would have to be.

The book of short stories that this is based on is amazing, well worth a read

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The only thing i didn't like was when at the end the other end suddenly got treated as their head/face. To me they suddenly came off as tall armless dudes in robes instead of cool upside down handsquids

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

But every time I see basically-human-but-with-this-one-specific-difference "aliens" I look at it as yet another wasted opportunity.
You're not wrong, but I basically only started playing 40k because I was 100% sold on the idea of Laser Elves, so as dumb as whatever the reasoning is (it's dumb) I still like their aesthetic. If GW had ever actually committed to the Corsair/Exodite concepts and we actually had armies for Laser Pirate Elves and Laser Raptor Rider Elves, I probably never would have stopped buying their stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elves, whether the laser or forest variety, have a pretty anime aesthetic so I get why LP wouldn't like them.

Bistromatic posted:

The only thing i didn't like was when at the end the other end suddenly got treated as their head/face. To me they suddenly came off as tall armless dudes in robes instead of cool upside down handsquids
Yeah, I found it weird when they "knelt down" and never thought about it but this is probably why.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
There's absolutely a place for laser elves in the right setting. But a lot of stuff that wants to be serious still has way too many bumpy foreheads.

Speaking of good aliens: While it's very far from hard scifi i liked how Ancillary Justice and it's sequels handled aliens:
There's numerous human civilizations and only two or three known alien races in the setting. Even in high stakes conflicts between human factions everyone places a high priority on not doing anything the Presger might interpret as violationg any treaties because they're weird and terrifying and everyone would like them to stay as far away as possible. In the books the Presger themselves never make an appearance, only their translators who are vat grown/manufactured humans that are specifically engineered to facilitate communication. Even then, tranlators are only moderately successful at that and weird as gently caress. They don't pass as fully human in anything but outward appearance because while the Presger are more advanced humans are just as incomprehensible to them as the other way round.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I want more settings to run with the idea that humans are the actual orcs. We can glue or staple lacerations shut. We can sow back on our several digits and limbs. We can swap organs. Hell, some of our organs can even regenerate on their own. We find incredibly dangerous though functional ways to field repair equipment. We're entirely willing to strap ourselves into experimental vehicles just to see if they work. We largely only have the faintest idea of how anything we use works but everything is so intuitive that most people can figure out the function of a tool just by using it, and they may even discover new and novel applications for the tool in the process.

We should be absolutely incomprehensible and terrifying to other sentient species.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Read Rescue Party by Arthur C. Clarke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bistromatic posted:

Read Rescue Party by Arthur C. Clarke

I've read that and The Damned. Excellent stories.

• Locked thread