Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Elsa posted:

I gag on cucumbers too

With practice you can get them a good 8" in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I used to live with a guy like picky eater boyfriend. We were invited to a nice dinner at our friend's house once with a delicious cornucopia of pastas, roasted/grilled meats, salads, and even homemade roti. It was amazing!

He refused to eat anything and the host had to make hotdogs for him. It was loving embarrassing. He was like 27 at the time.

I don't even understand how anyone cannot be interested in trying new foods. Trying new foods is one of my favorite things ever. gently caress yes an opportunity to possibly find another food I'll enjoy stuffing into my disgusting face? Sign me the gently caress up!

So what if it contains onion or whatever food you find repulsive, just try it anyway you babies. I think celery is one of the most putrid vegetables in existence but my mom's kick rear end spaghetti sauce has tons of it and tastes incredible because that's how flavor works.

Edit:

Mirthless posted:

tomatoes are loving great though and I regret all the years I passed on eating them out of a weird food hangup because they can improve a whole fuckload of things by being there

:same: I used to hate tomatoes with a passion when I was a child but now I can't get enough of them, especially in sauces. Tomatoes loving rule. Still don't care much for cherry or grape tomatoes though, but the big ones (dunno the variety name) or Romas gently caress yes give me all of that poo poo.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 11, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

With practice you can get them a good 8" in

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
help I slipped and fell butthole-first onto a bundle of three cucumbers

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
help i slipped and fell onto this Bad Dragon[tm] brand 24" Stallion Spear with super cumming action pump!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
:eyepoop:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Some people are trash. These people will limit themselves to hotdogs for the rest of their lives

because their brains are trash

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
how do you even do that

i can eat anything meal after meal, but after like the third hotdog i just dont want anymore for at least a week.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The secret is a level of whiny spoiled baby bordering on mental illness.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch posted:

bordering

:mmmhmm:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elsa posted:

I gag on cucumbers too

Well you're supposed to chew them.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I was a picky eater as a kid and I lived quite the insufferable existence until about a year ago, when I was 34. I started realizing all these things I don't like I haven't really tried, or at least it's been decades since I did. So I tried strawberries and fish amd all kinds of stuff.

I still don't like seafood, but now I know for sure that I just don't enjoy the taste and consuming a piece of sushi will not be the death of me. I also don't like the texture of things with a skin and soft interior, like grapes and tomatoes, but also something that won't make me totally unhappy with a meal including them.

My issues were 100% from being allowed to be a picky eater when I was a kid. Don't raise your kids that way, it's a loving awful thing to do to them.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
that's sad

you went 34 years without being able to eat cool stuff

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I have real life friends who create a distinction between "betraying the trust of your SO" and "hiding something that your SO will reasonably find incredibly devastating and hurtful but it's okay i'm not a bad person" and I don't really get how that works. I guess this story about the not-gay gay bf didn't really help, but it's got my :psyduck: anyway

The distinction is in whether it's something that would hurt them even if they didn't find out about it, or if it's only the finding out that makes it harmful because of their own feelings about whatever the secret is. For instance, say your beloved granddad is on his deathbed and says "hey, Calcium, come over here, I have a secret I need to share with you" and you're like "what is it, honored father of fathers" "I want you to know... I always hated you, and your dog that you thought ran off and disappeared when you were a kid? I actually killed it because I secretly love the great taste of puppy and it always made me smile to see you cry." Then he dies. Are you better off for knowing this secret? Would it have hurt you to not know?
In this case it seems like the BF's thoughts are "since it turns out I'm not gay, I'm certainly not going to throw over my GF for my gay friend, so she doesn't have anything to worry about from our having sex, all it did was convince me not to leave her. I don't see why she's mad, if circumstances were reversed I'd want to watch because I think it would be hot to see her awkwardly experimenting with another girl." Clearly her concerns are not limited to the risk of him abandoning her for his gay friend, but that's the only risk he's seeing, and from that perspective it's not a thing that could hurt her except insofar as she might "unreasonably" feel hurt just from finding out.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mirthless posted:

i can't do cucumber at all, something about the cool flavor makes me (literally) gag. it's the only vegetable that does this to me. It's not even like a squash thing, I'll eat Zucchini all day long. It's bad enough that I can't enjoy a california roll. If I make them myself I'll usually sub the cucumber for asparagus.

tomatoes are loving great though and I regret all the years I passed on eating them out of a weird food hangup because they can improve a whole fuckload of things by being there

My elderly Chinese neighbor would say that this is because you are low on your hot chi and cannot risk eating cucumbers: the coldest of foods and damaging your energy fields. So maybe you'd like cucumbers more if you ate a lot of spicy beef and drank some ginger tea with them? I dunno she's crazy about that stuff but gives me free vegetables so it balances out.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Zzulu posted:

that's sad

you went 34 years without being able to eat cool stuff

Friend. You do a thing so well. True and strong.

Time to eat a fruit is now. Find a fruit and put it in your bodie. Make the fruit you. Go to THE CENTER.

EGG A THING

Egg of a thing. Full of yolks. Open it up and see inside. Smell it. Touch it. Put it in the mouth three time a day. Turn it into you.

HERBIVOROUS INSECT

Live on a plant. Hated enemy. Bad as MANS FROM BELOW. Spend half day searching plant for insect. Eat until full then put rest in satchel.

NOT HUMAN MEAT

Could be meat from a bird or a fish. Meat from a land animal. All meat processed to avoid contamination. Receive meat at MEAT CENTER in your area. Eat one tin or tube per day as mommy says.

FRUIT

Be sure to eat the seeds. Ring the bell if you feel different. If you feel that you are lucky. RED WORM take you for a ride!

But yeah, picky eaters are the worst.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hi guys I got married on Sunday and there was nothing worthy of posting to r/relationships. Anything good in the last 450 posts?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It's been a week

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

zakharov posted:

Hi guys I got married on Sunday and there was nothing worthy of posting to r/relationships. Anything good in the last 450 posts?

Mazel tov!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lot of people ITT that just wouldn't be down for a bottle of cool, refreshing Limon Pepino Gatorade.

E:

zakharov posted:

The preggers lady popped but didn't give us the minute-by-minute breakdown.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 11, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zakharov posted:

Congrats on finally making it happen with your life partner who I presume has their entire investment portfolio tied up in dog rollerskates.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Slugworth posted:

For some reason, the clothes borrowing thing is what tips the scales to me more than anything else. I've never known two straight men to share clothes. Everything else there I can buy as two real close friends.

Going down that list it's all poo poo I've done or would be fine doing with friends, but sharing clothes? I dunno man.

i had this blow up in my face. as i was moving i lent a friend a robe to use as a costume piece in this theater thing he does. the robe was full of hella significant meaning & he held onto it for a few months, growing pretty attached to how it looked on the stage. After i fell out with the theater group (they stole a kitten) the dude refused to return the robe, so I had to stake him to the ground with a yew bough and disenchant his whole rear end. pulled off the robe and most of his skin with it accidentally. he's either fine or he isn't, either way there's no patching that rift.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's the bigger red flag, pranks or picky eating?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My Oma's 90th birthday was at the German Club last week and they had a buffet. They have excellent schnitzel and spätzle and lots of tasty things, but a buffet is completely wasted on my younger siblings. My half sister only ate some mashed potatoes (she's 19) and my brother only ate a bun and three pieces of cheese (he's 22). He'll eat French fries, but refuses to try mashed potatoes. My parents aren't picky eaters at all, but they failed with my siblings.

I'm a mildly picky eater and was more so when I was younger, but I would happily chow down on a plate of steamed broccoli and cauliflower if you handed it to me. So long as they weren't covered in strange sauces, there were a number of veggies and fruits I enjoyed eating as a small child. Even with being a little picky, I was still able to eat a well rounded diet. I was never as bad about eating as either of my siblings were. As I got older, I got more adventurous about trying new things and have discovered some new favourite foods.

Apparently, my parents felt my younger siblings would just grow out of it on their own with no pushing, so they've always been allowed to eat whatever they want. Their excuse was that I turned out okay under the same parenting, so they expected my siblings to be the same. At least, that's my mom's excuse for my brother. I'm not sure about my dad's excuse for my half sister.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah if at my 90th birthday my grand kids/ great grand kids dont eat the ethnic food Ive chosen Id be absolutely heart broken so thanks for turning me into the Gumbo Gestapo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

zakharov posted:

Hi guys I got married on Sunday

RIP

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mameluke posted:

What's the bigger red flag, pranks or picky eating?

I would say pranks, because it's a lot easier to be picky and not be an rear end in a top hat about it.

I too was picky up until after college, I'm probably more picky than most still but I make an effort to try new things and have found some great stuff that I love that I never would have eaten before. I was never on that guy's level though, the only thing that really "taints" bread to me are pickles. I'll still just loving deal with it if a pickle happens to be on my sandwich when it comes out, because claiming it ruins everything completely is just dumb, you can maybe tell in a few bites. I'm not huge on tomatoes on sandwiches either, most places use poo poo tomatoes that don't taste like anything and just make the sandwich sloppy by juicing our and sliding all over the place. A good tomato can be delicious though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think picky eaters should be treated with pity, not contempt. They are the ones who are missing out. I often wonder if picky eaters really ENJOY eating something specific, because their preferences are so narrow it's less about what they particularly like and more about avoiding what they dont like. Which should be pitied in my opinion.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Picky eaters are upsetting precisely because they deny themselves the great bounty this earth and life offers

it's like they're spitting creation in the face!!!!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Panfilo posted:

I think picky eaters should be treated with pity, not contempt. They are the ones who are missing out. I often wonder if picky eaters really ENJOY eating something specific, because their preferences are so narrow it's less about what they particularly like and more about avoiding what they dont like. Which should be pitied in my opinion.

Sheep-Goats said it best:

quote:

Eat the food. Eat all the food. If you do not I will harass you about it in an internet forum and do so persistently and with enough volume that others will take up my flag against you and you will be driven from thread to thread, run haggard, everyday collapsing, only to be raised up and driven on again, until you eventually decide to end it all, simply because you refused to eat a fried fish eye that you were told was really good by an enthusiastic salt of the earth vendor who had saved it especially for you on your vacation to the other side of the earth because he really likes it and he wanted you to know he cared. In his childhood he and his two sisters used to fight over who was the one that didn't get a fried fish eye on those special days they had a whole fried fish and he has opened this door not only to his food but to his past for you, and you go "ew fish eye gross" and scuttle sideways away from him like a nasty little crab.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Cooking rant incoming:

One of my closest friends is smart, educated, has a stable marriage, and is so good at budgeting she teaches several financial planning classes. Super nice and funny too.

She likes to cook, is meticulous, and follows her recipes correctly.

She can't cook for poo poo.

The reason is she lives in a rural midwestern area, where the entire culture is built around oversalting and saturating everything, and declaring anything that is correctly prepared to be "tasteless." She's not even unhealthy, she is really fit, she just grew up with an utterly mis-calibrated sense of taste.

The other day, she was planning a dinner party. I asked the theme. She said "Olive Garden."

I saw her and her husband prepare a meal which looked ridiculously delicious. Naked chicken breast, spiraled zucchini. Salted everything. Salted loving zucchini. (Side note, I also got in a debate with her over whether or not zucchini has flavor. Literally everything has flavor. Water has flavor. People have dulled their sense of taste to the point where they can't realize this.)

She respects my opinion when I patiently explain why she could be a magnificent cook if she'd just not ruin her stuff with needless kids-spices and fat. But I'm just one voice among a sea of palate-challenged people and people who are just too polite to say anything besides "this is great." Even if she did wise up and fix her recipes, it wouldn't matter because everyone who ate it would probably complain.

tl:dr: Cooking is easy for a lot of people, but cultural impositions can make it impossible for someone with great cooking fundamentals to ever make a decent meal. So go easy on the bad cooks of the world, they live in their own prisons.r

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 11, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

Salted everything. Salted loving zucchini. (Side note, I also got in a debate with her over whether or not zucchini has flavor. Literally everything has flavor. Water has flavor. People have dulled their sense of taste to the point where they can't realize this.)

Are you complaining she used too much salt, or just that she salted her food at all? Because you absolutely should be adding some salt to basically everything you cook.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Because you absolutely should be adding some salt to basically everything you cook.

:trapsprung:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I put Himalayan pink salt on my zucchini. I live in the Midwest. Come at me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Serious answer, even though you're obviously being pedantic. Adding salt at the beginning of the recipe, so that all the tastes infuse evenly throughout, is of course fine. Adding salt in a way that makes vegetables and meats taste salty, like at all, is some American obesity epidemic-causing B.S.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Eat whatever you want at home or in restaurants but if you are given food by a gracious host that invited you to dinner and refuse to eat any of it then you are an insolent child. Force it down if you have to. There's no way it's that unpleasant.

That guy I used to live with was dating a girl for a couple of weeks a few years ago. He stopped seeing her after they got into two arguments: one about him not even trying the dinner she made for him and then another about a disagreement over how much media affects human behavior. I'm not even joking. The guy's a major autist or something.That girl seemed really nice.

He eventually started dating a 19 year old (again, he was 27 or so at the time) who is way into Tumblr and Doctor Who. She's nice too, at least. I think they're still together.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
lol, just lol if your lunch is not a hunk of salt from a salt lick and also you are a cow living your cow life. how do you post on sa with your hooves? tell us your secrets, cow person, please.

My husband's friend [44M] compared our daughter [12F] to a farm animal. I [35F] am offended, but my husband [35M] thinks it's funny. Non-Romantic

quote:

488 points 898 comments submitted 2 years ago by OffendedMomThrowaway to r/relationships

So, this weekend we had a family event that we had to go to. A lot of family friends always go to it as well. One of my husband's friends, whom we'll called Gerald, was there. Gerald is an older, country-type guy. Sometimes he says things that are mildly offensive, but he is usually a good guy. I have never had a real problem with him before this.

Also, I am a bit overweight. Not terribly so, but still. My daughter, whom we'll call Alexis, has hit puberty and has also packed on some extra weight as well.

Well, at the event, my husband, Gerald and I were standing around talking. My daughter came up for a moment and was talking to us and then went off to play with the rest of the kids. Gerald had not seen her for a few years until this event.

Gerald turned to my husband with a grin at this point and said, "Boy, she's getting to be a little heifer, ain't she?"

I just stood there stunned that he'd actually said that. I may be stupid defining this (we live in a rural area so I'm not sure how common the word is to city people) but a heifer is a young female cow. It's often used by country people as a slur against overweight women.

What was worse, though, was my husband just turned to Gerald and started cracking up and agreed with him.

When we got home, I confronted my husband about it and how I didn't think what Gerald said was acceptable, nor was his reaction to it. We ended up getting into a huge argument about it. He thinks I'm overreacting and that it wasn't meant as offensively as I think it was. I don't see how it could be meant any other way.

Am I crazy here or did they both act inappropriately?

tl;dr: Husband's friend made a "hilarious" joke comparing our overweight daughter to a farm animal. We fought about it. I think they were wrong. He doesn't.

Edit: Okay, didn't really expect this to blow up like this... And since everyone would rather play guessing games about my daughter and I's weight than whether it's okay for someone to call my child a cow, I guess I'll go ahead and end the speculation.

I am 5'8" and 190lbs. My daughter is about 5'1 or 5'2 and was 120lbs at her doctor's visit last month. So, there you go. You can stop speculating.

It's not his fault lady, he grew up on a farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Are you complaining she used too much salt, or just that she salted her food at all? Because you absolutely should be adding some salt to basically everything you cook.

Lol o remember when i made this thread