Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

handsome only face posted:

it was a perfect time to do it in the match and made it better, but kind of a waste since he didn't win, and he might've vacated the belt if he had got it anyway having to miss a tour

God can you imagine what a story it would be if he won, vacated, Okada beats Fale or whoever in an interim championship match, then you unify at Dominion, thus preserving the Omega match for Long Beach. Might be too much hot potato for IWGP but it's the rare time where it would be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

When he set up the headbutt I was like "wow he is doing this really safely for a change"

Then I saw the blood LOL.

I think he's the only one besides Ishii that does legit headbutts. Goto does his into the neck/trap area most the time.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Watched the second half of the show last night. I love War Machine and it's clear they are super over with the Japanese crowd. It'd be nice to see them going on a run with the titles just destroying everyone.

Shibata/Okada was great, the noise from that head butt made me legit cringe.

Who'd have though CJ Parker would be one of the top faces in Japan? And for what it's worth, his in ring work has deserved it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I figured JUICE was getting a push since they did that 4 part mini doc about him. His dad seems like a really nice fella.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I figured JUICE was getting a push since they did that 4 part mini doc about him. His dad seems like a really nice fella.

Backstage he is kind of like the new Karl Anderson. Not sure if he's the gaijin booker but he's the big man in the locker room and the bridge between the gaijin and native Japanese.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
that's kinda crazy considering he hasn't even been there that long, i thought Rocky would be in that spot if anyone

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Big Dave reporting that the Shibata surgery might be a work to put over the brutality of that match.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Thrifting Day! posted:

Watched the second half of the show last night. I love War Machine and it's clear they are super over with the Japanese crowd. It'd be nice to see them going on a run with the titles just destroying everyone.

The after match hand shakes from the New Japan Dad Squad were great. Kojima was selling his rear end of for their finisher, hahaha. Combine that with WM's respectful acknowledgements and it was all kinds of awesome. Solid match with a happy ending.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Capsaicin posted:

Big Dave reporting that the Shibata surgery might be a work to put over the brutality of that match.

If that's the case, haven't been this happy to be totally worked in a while.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Capsaicin posted:

he walked it back on twitter

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

he walked it back on twitter

He restated it on WOR and that he was being told Shibata is being held off the next set of shows as a work.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/851464999029456896

https://twitter.com/STRIGGA/status/851855331089145857

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Nobody seems really sure if the Shibata thing is real or fake. All I know is I never want to hear that sound from a headbutt in professional wrestling ever again

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

He said it was a work this morning, unless I totally misheard. That quote screams work too. Remember, Misawa's doctor was a worker too.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/851863967291109383

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's a worked work to sweep it under the rug

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

that's kinda crazy considering he hasn't even been there that long, i thought Rocky would be in that spot if anyone

current rumor is that rocky's starting the njpw usa dojo in 2018.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

current rumor is that rocky's starting the njpw usa dojo in 2018.

He was head trainer when I went to the inoki dojo in 2005 so this makes lots of sense.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

He said it was a work this morning, unless I totally misheard. That quote screams work too. Remember, Misawa's doctor was a worker too.

oh you're right. well this is confusing.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Spermgod posted:

oh you're right. well this is confusing.

cool

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

misawa maybe should have gone to a real doctor

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/651ax0/okadas_comments_on_the_shibata_situation/

Do we still not know if this is a work or not? Regardless, man am I pulling for Shibata from here on out.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I think Shibata/Okada would be a hell of a WK main event now.

Which is a shame for Kenny, but well you have to go with the hot hand.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shibata returning from injury to beat Okada at the Dome would be the best.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Shibata returning from injury to beat Okada at the Dome would be the best.

It's a pretty compelling story now. So is Naito vs. Okada for supreme leader of the company. So is Omega v. Okada in presumably the rubber match. They're positioned really well right now for a dramatic G1 and probably a solid uptick in Tokyo Dome business.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Aye, Naito's set to win the G1, and I suspect they're going to have Okada either retain until January or beat Omega in October/November after he loses at Dominion. (On that note, it'd be cool if the G1 winner would actually go over this time. Like, the only reason they had Kenny win last year instead of Naito was because they really didn't want Okada to lose his first defense, even though in kayfabe he came really drat close to losing it.)

Also, if Kenny wins at Dominion, who's going to face him at Long Beach? I bet it'll be Ishii, since he has a title shot saved up from beating Okada in the G1 and he beat Kenny in the first round of the NJ Cup this year.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Venomous posted:

Also, if Kenny wins at Dominion, who's going to face him at Long Beach? I bet it'll be Ishii, since he has a title shot saved up from beating Okada in the G1 and he beat Kenny in the first round of the NJ Cup this year.

He's got Ishii at Dontaku, so it'd be three matches together in the span of only a few months, which isn't typically how they do things. Then again it'd be a rubber match kind of thing so could work.

Assuming Kenny wins, I could see him going against Tanahashi. Send in the living legend to get the belt back on the champ's home turf kind of story. And he can lose to Omega in the US no problem.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 13, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

sigmachiev posted:

Assuming Kenny wins, I could see him going against Tanahashi. Send in the living legend to get the belt back on the champ's home turf kind of story.

He's from Winnipeg, you idiot!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Baron Corbyn posted:

He's from Winnipeg, you idiot!

I should have been more clear, but yes I'm aware of this and was too lazy to edit. North America still technically home turf amirite?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shibata/Okada got 5 stars btw, bringing Okada's average for the year down to 5.0625.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sigmachiev posted:

He's got Ishii at Dontaku, so it'd be three matches together in the span of only a few months, which isn't typically how they do things. Then again it'd be a rubber match kind of thing so could work.

Assuming Kenny wins, I could see him going against Tanahashi. Send in the living legend to get the belt back on the champ's home turf kind of story. And he can lose to Omega in the US no problem.

Ah, shoot, I hadn't seen the Dontaku card. Fair dos. Tanahashi would be good, but I doubt he'd want to come back to the HC scene just for a show in Long Beach. I suspect they're going to save that rematch (maybe the Omega/Tanahashi ladder match for the IC title???) for WK12. Thinking about it, I hope it's Michael Elgin in Long Beach, since he's already beaten Omega and it's only logical.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Has there been anything notable on the Road tos the last couple months? I've only really watched the big shows so if there's an interesting 6 man or something I've missed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Shibata/Okada got 5 stars btw, bringing Okada's average for the year down to 5.0625.

That's loving amazing :lol:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

In contrast, Naito's average is only a measly 4.75. Simply atrocious. Not like Kenny Omega, with his wonderful average of 5.375.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm kinda surprised btw, since I heard Dave has taken points off for headbutts in the past and this one had a headbutt that sent Shibata to the emergency room?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm kinda surprised btw, since I heard Dave has taken points off for headbutts in the past and this one had a headbutt that sent Shibata to the emergency room?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Fighting spirit, I guess. I didn't hear the WOR episode about Sakura Genesis, so idk what he said there, but yeah, I guess it made the match seem that more real and it fit Shibata's character and it's a 5 for that reason. Same with the blood. He probably wasn't blading, because it's looking less and less like a work every day, but at the time it seemed like the best example of blading for years and it fit with Shibata's determination and character that it was just...yeah, it worked for the match.

e: also, who do you folks reckon will challenge War Machine in the future? That was the first match I've seen by them, and they looked incredible, but I'm not sure who'll be next. Wish Lance Archer were healthy, we could've had a KES/War Machine programme for a bit. Maybe EVIL and SANADA could give it a shot.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 13, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

There's a three way with Ten-Cozy and GoD set for Dontaku. I'd love for them to stay long term, but many view them as WWE bound as soon as they start signing ROH guys again.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

I think Dave is still operating under the assumption that Shibata and his Doctor are working, with those 5 stars, even if we aren't 100% sure yet.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

There's a three way with Ten-Cozy and GoD set for Dontaku. I'd love for them to stay long term, but many view them as WWE bound as soon as they start signing ROH guys again.

GoD? I've always viewed them as the non WWE "Usos" so it'd be interesting to see what they would do with that.

E: I think you mean War Machine, actually. So ignore that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Baron Corbyn posted:

the headbutt knocked it down to 5 stars

• Locked thread