Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mr President posted:

I want a standalone Luke movie without lame rear end Finn and Rey tagging along. I would ideally like an old man Han/Luke buddy flick but good luck getting Harrison to come back.

Weekend at Solo's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

Weekend at Solo's

I'd watch this. Force shenanigans to make it look like Han is still alive.

"This isn't the corpse you're looking for"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My dinner with Han.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr President posted:

I want a standalone Luke movie without lame rear end Finn and Rey tagging along. I would ideally like an old man Han/Luke buddy flick but good luck getting Harrison to come back.

I don't care too much about a standalone, but I do want to see Luke Skywalker doing a badass fight scene like with Darth Vader in Rogue One.

Like, he doesn't want to fight. He just avoids it whenever possible. But Snoke/First Order push him too far and he's like: "You want it? You got it." And he just fucks up everything and we all see just how powerful he has become.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

spacetoaster posted:

Like, he doesn't want to fight. He just avoids it whenever possible. But The Emperor/Vader push him too far and he's like: "You want it? You got it." And he just throws away his lightsaber

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Star Wars Good Morning America thing was just a "Force for Change" contest prize from omaze. Lame.

If anyone cares to know more:
https://twitter.com/GMA/status/851779471078154240

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

aBagorn posted:

I'll be there too, and same for me. There are roughly 3400 wristbands available for the main hall, and I don't doubt all of them will go to overnight campers.

I'm going early Friday morning to try to get an overflow hall wristband (there are about 4200 of those). If I don't get it I won't be bummed.

I'll be in line starting around 11pm. Why the gently caress not, we only live once!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

spacetoaster posted:

I don't care too much about a standalone, but I do want to see Yoda doing a badass fight scene like with Darth Vader in Rogue One.

Like, he doesn't want to fight. He just avoids it whenever possible. But Dooku/Seoaratist push him too far and he's like: "Who the man? Yoda man." And he just fucks up everything and we all see just how powerful he has become.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Yoda fight scene was one of the worst examples of Star Wars fans not knowing what their own opinion is until a consensus is formed. I saw AotC twice in the theatre, and both times people were pumping their fist and loudly cheering during the Yoda scene. It was all anyone was talking about on the walk out to the parking lot, how awesomely badass it was that Yoda finally had a lightsaber fight!

I'm not sure how long it took for the fandom to decree that the scene actually is a disgrace to Star Wars, but it was far from instantaneous.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

The Yoda fight scene was one of the worst examples of Star Wars fans not knowing what their own opinion is until a consensus is formed. I saw AotC twice in the theatre, and both times people were pumping their fist and loudly cheering during the Yoda scene. It was all anyone was talking about on the walk out to the parking lot, how awesomely badass it was that Yoda finally had a lightsaber fight!

I'm not sure how long it took for the fandom to decree that the scene actually is a disgrace to Star Wars, but it was far from instantaneous.

On top of being really bored in the theater as a kid I remember talking about why Yoda had a lightsaber at all afterwards.

I liked Ep. 1 until rewatching it a few years later, and thought Ep 3 was alright coming out of it.

quote:

But Dooku/Seoaratist push him too far and he's like: "Who the man? Yoda man."

The man, I am, hmm

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A Muppet dueling Count Dracula is one of the best things about Star Wars.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kamino, Hoth, and Cloud City are my favorite sequences in Star Wars, three defeats that are significant turning points.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The way I see it, we can't lose: it will be good if he fights because we get to see cool fighting, and it will be good if he doesn't because it will be meaningful.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

I loved it at the time and hell, I still do.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Halloween Jack posted:

A Muppet dueling Count Dracula is one of the best things about Star Wars.

We will never get another Star Wars as fun as Clones.
Parsec races from here on out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember being in the cinema on day of release for AotC. Anakin and Obi-wan are on the floor, Dooku standing triumphant over them, and then this tiny hobbling shadow comes into the room. Everyone in the cinema simultaneously realised what was about to happen, and went absolutely nuts. It was glorious, and I still get goosebumps remembering it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Battlefront II is going to feature a story mode that takes place during the Clone Wars, post-ROTJ, and from the Imperial point of view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn7k963DCnw

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gonz posted:

Battlefront II is going to feature a story mode that takes place during the Clone Wars, post-ROTJ, and from the Imperial point of view.

Rad. Though them not having a single player Star Wars game by the time two thirds of the new trilogy is out is ridiculous. They were able to pump out like twenty games per movie during the prequel era.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Large video games take more time to draw these days. But didn't Battlefront 2 come out in, like, 2005? I played the poo poo out of that game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently the kid who plays Spiderman says he never saw the OT but loves the prequels because that's what he grew up with.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Basebf555 posted:

Apparently the kid who plays Spiderman says he never saw the OT but loves the prequels because that's what he grew up with.

He's only like, 2 years younger than me. How did he never see the OT.

I saw them on loving VHS, ffs.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Basebf555 posted:

I can attest to this. I saw the movie a few times with various friends and every time it got an insane reaction. You could feel the room buzzing when he opened his cloak and the lightsaber hilt flew into his hand. It's actually quite an interesting bit of pop blockbuster filmmaking, because Lucas and the team knew how it would play in the theaters. It hasn't aged well visually (Yoda looks super silly as a CGI character, but the puppet in TPM was also loving hideous so can't win them all) but I have a fond memory of enjoying that scene in theaters and won't denounce it for that very reason.

The rest of AOTC loving sucks. It's the only Star Wars movie I actively dislike.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gonz posted:

Wow, it already has more content than the first game.

Basebf555 posted:

I remember most of the theater was just laughing at it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Savidudeosoo posted:

He's only like, 2 years younger than me. How did he never see the OT.

I saw them on loving VHS, ffs.

I'm a few years older still but we literally watched them in school, on VHS. It ruled.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I watched the first two on a snow day in school (90% of kids and teachers couldn't/wouldn't turn up, but my parents kicked me out the door) when I was 11/12 and didn't much care for them.

TPM in the cinema rocked my world.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Every theater I saw AOTC in blew the gently caress up at the Yoda fight

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

This is the strangest opinion I've ever seen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

This is the strangest opinion I've ever seen.

You should probably get out more then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Which way are you arguing it . Are you saying they are bad for liking it or not liking it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Which way are you arguing it . Are you saying they are bad for liking it or not liking it.

They are bad for not being able to come up with their own opinion, I'm not arguing the merits of the scene either way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh I misunderstood you. Sorry!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's actually happened to me twice on SA in two weeks, I think maybe its me being vague or not being clear and concise enough? Not sure, but I've noticed a pattern.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You never know in this thread. It's full of fake posts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

You never know in this thread. It's full of fake posts.

All posts are real.

People spend far too much time and effort trying to decide if posters are lying or not.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yoda is The Man.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

sassassin posted:

All posts are real.

People spend far too much time and effort trying to decide if posters are lying or not.

warning: this post is canon

I think backlash against that scene is part shame.

Explanation: I have a brother who is just two years younger than me (for context I was born in late 89 and he in early 92) so we experienced pop culture phenomena at the same time and spent hours discussing our theories and analysis. We were both huge fans of the OT from the cradle and we were both precocious readers and picked up EU novels in used bookstores and we spent a lot of time speculating on Yoda's youth, the older republic, and so on. I distinctly recall us discussing before AOTC came out how amazing it would be thematically if Yoda was actually a kickass fighter since it would make his line "wars not make one great" cooler because he would be saying it from experience (as an adult it seems clear to me that this was the intended subtext, that and the fact that Luke was seeking a "great warrior" but kids are terrible at subtext v:shobon:v ) when we were hashing out how that would work we concluded it would only make sense that Yoda would make up for his lack of size with use of his force telekinesis in a way that would be unmatched by any other.

When we saw AOTC in the theater, we thought the dialogue was crap but the Yoda fight was exhilarating. We weren't expecting it but as it was happening it was like all our fan theories were coming true. We were right -- and it was awesome!

Now the scene makes me cringe, perhaps because it is such a wish fulfillment yet seems a bit awkwardly placed. It's hard to say. Ironically I've come to like the dialogue between Anakin and Padme better since having been in relationships. When you're high on new relationship energy you will hear the dumbest poo poo leave your mouth.

As I look back I also have to say for all the bickering we did it was neat to have someone about the same age around to experience the pop culture phenoms of the 00s with. Siblings can be Cool and Good, sometimes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I don't think it is wish fulfillment to show the arc Yoda as a huge hypocrite. The scenes where he busts out the lightsaber are awesome until you think about what it means in light of the things he says. It shows you how he went from wizard-monk to a broken old hermit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Posts are to be read in the same manner as film - don't worry about what the man behind the camera might be trying to do, respond to the words and images on the screen.

Yoda's duel being pointless posturing that accomplishes nothing but a base thrill is narrative, not a mistake on behalf of the filmmakers. Luke's response to the invitation to fight at the end of RotJ is the culmination of that arc. Yoda makes mistakes. He's almost 900 and he's still inexperienced. He lives in a swanky tower while the galaxy has been at "peace" (peace for slavers etc.)

It will be interesting to see if Luke takes the lightsaber at the start of the next one.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

sassassin posted:

Posts are to be read in the same manner as film - don't worry about what the man behind the camera might be trying to do, respond to the words and images on the screen.

It might just be me, but applying Death of the Author to a direct conversation seems like a dick move. When you have the other person available to clarify their position it's somewhat rude to not take advantage of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

well why not posted:

I'm a few years older still but we literally watched them in school, on VHS. It ruled.

The VHS set that most millennials are aware of came out in 1995, and 96 was the big Star Wars year where a bunch of toys came back and the Special Editions were gearing up. Holland would've been barely a year old by that point. By the time Episode 1 came out, he would've been 4.

The OT not being big for him makes perfect sense, but nerds are dumb fuckers so.

• Locked thread