Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
:patssay: avalanche inbound! :haw:

Diva Cupcake posted:

That's not a surprising conclusion. They have a bottom 5 schedule like every year.

Not really.

code:
Year	SoS
2010	2.6
2009	2.3
2004	1.8
2002	1.8
2014	1.3
2006	1
2005	0.6
2007	0.4
2003	0.1
2013	-0.7
2012	-1.4
2011	-1.4
2001	-1.9
2015	-2.4
2008	-2.4
2016	-2.7
Average SOS is 0.0, negative is easier than average, positive is harder than average. 7 out of 16 seasons since 2001 they've had an easier than average schedule. :shrug:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/

Playing the AFC East makes no real difference in their W-L either.

Since 2003, win % (all games): 77.6%
Conference games: 77.2%
Division games: 77.9%
Non-conference games: 79.0%
Non-division games: 77.5%

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trend/win_trends/non_conference?range=yearly_since_2003&sc=non_division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sean10mm posted:

:patssay: avalanche inbound! :haw:

Not really.

Ok so 5 of the last 6 years have been below average.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

Ok so 5 of the last 6 years have been below average.

<flexes>.

Though that article postulates that the NFC South will be worse then the NFC West was last year.
Does that really follow? the Falcons of 2017 have some questions, but should be as good as the 2016 Seahawks, and one of the Buccaneers/Saints/Panthers should be as good as the Cardinals were last year... but who's going to be Rams or 49ers Bad? Even if the Saints totally poo poo the bed again defensively, I can't see them being Rams bad, let alone the tire fire that was the 49ers.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

"the pats might win the super bowl again"

man that's some advanced stats for sure

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Football Outsiders needs to implement sortable tables. I bet they do theirs in Word.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

To contribute something other than a smartass remark, let's see what FO says about how injured teams were last year:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-adjusted-games-lost

Interesting to see that despite Kelly leaving, the Eagles continued to be among the top teams in terms of games lost, whereas SF saw no benefit from Kelly joining. Bad outcome for sports science, unfortunately.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Aaron Schatz doing all he can to pick the Pats winning it all without "giant loving homer" as his excuse

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Eli Wiggum posted:

Aaron Schatz doing all he can to pick the Pats winning it all without "giant loving homer" as his excuse

Hilariously, Football Outsiders was leading the charge on TOM BRADY IS DONE in 2013, with hot takes built around how Tom Brady was letting Aaron fuckin' Dobson down. Figures they'd go 180 degrees the other way just in time for Brady to turn into a pumpkin from old age.

Wasn't DVOA like hilariously overrating the Eagles for most of the season, before gradually "correcting" to have the Patriots at #1?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Strength of schedule ratings are meaningless at this point

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Strength of schedule ratings are meaningless at this point

:agreed:

The Patriots 2016 schedule looked fairly hard going into it and turned into a cupcake. Look at what were assumed to be the hard games going into the season:

Arizona: Went from playoff team in 2015 to trash in 2016
Houston: Brock is even sorrier than was assumed, absolute pushover
Bengals: Went from 12-4 to 9-6-1, pushover
Steelers: Big Ben out hurt when they played, tough game turns into cupcake

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

Wasn't DVOA like hilariously overrating the Eagles for most of the season, before gradually "correcting" to have the Patriots at #1?

It's not some mystery--the Eagles had a hot start that included a blowout win over PIttsburgh, while the Patriots were missing Tom Brady for 4 games. Once the season got to the point that those games were weighted less and the Eagles had started dropping games, things shook out more like you'd expect. DVOA weighs later games more heavily, it's not a manual correction that happens.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not some mystery--the Eagles had a hot start that included a blowout win over PIttsburgh, while the Patriots were missing Tom Brady for 4 games. Once the season got to the point that those games were weighted less and the Eagles had started dropping games, things shook out more like you'd expect. DVOA weighs later games more heavily, it's not a manual correction that happens.

Yeah, the Eagles started this year killing the Browns and Bears (before any formula would call them awful), then massacred the Steelers, and until game 10, didn't lose a game by more then a score, while beating the Falcons handily and taking the Cowboys to OT.

That's exactly the kind of team you'd consider to be way better then their 5-4 record, but then their lack of receivers and other depth problems killed them and that was that.

In comparison, the Patriots opened up with close wins over the Cardinals and Dolphins, before clocking the Texans and then getting housed by a bad Bills team. It's no surprise it'd take a lot more data for a formula to think this team was better then the above.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

Because all non-patriot afc East teams are garbage and will be for the foreseeable future

Lol Oh ok keep polishing that hypothetical trophy in Oakland.

Vegas.

Fantasy land.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Being that Derek Carr as a rookie nearly dunked on New England at Foxboro and the Dolphins haven't sniffed a W in Foxboro in a decade idk I don't see it

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

If Carr doesn't break a leg last year they lose to Falcons in the Super Bowl

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Got_%27Im

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
When was the last time Miami won in New England? 2008?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

After Brady permanently loses his vision by laser pointer in the Mexico City game the Raiders are the new power in the AFC

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think it was.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli Wiggum posted:

When was the last time Miami won in New England? 2008?

... yep, 2008. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/game_query.cgi?tm1=nwe&tm2=mia&yr=all

huh, Miami still has a winning record against the Patriots overall

They were 43-28 pre-Brady and 10-22 since.

That's actually a little less bad then I thought it'd be.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
let me tell you about the 5-0 super bowl lock vikings

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dubious posted:

let me tell you about the 5-0 super bowl lock vikings

With NFL MVP Sam Bradford at the helm?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

I'm here to talk about the ELO rating of the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 3

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

After Brady permanently loses his vision by laser pointer in the Mexico City game the Raiders are the new power in the AFC

See, everyone, this is what happens when the Raiders are decent again. Their fans do this.

This is what you all wanted

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You'll see

You'll all see

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
The Raiders

are good.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Patriots football, also referred to as edging, peaking, or surfing,[1] is a sports technique which may be practiced either inside the conference or with the entire NFL and involves the maintenance of a high level of play for an extended period of time without winning championships.

When practiced by teams other than the Patriots, Patriots football allows the team to enjoy regular season and even playoff wins without waiting through the regression to the mean common after success. When the decision is made to allow success, the physical sensations may be much greater and more pleasurable than if the success were experienced conventionally. Patriots football is referenced as "doing your job" in Bill Belichick's The New Joy of Football (1993)[2] and "extended Lombardi trophies" in McDaniels and Steve Brady's 2000 book of the same name,[1] and is similar to the Steel Curtain technique used in the volume The Six Rings (1988) by Dick Vermeil.

Since Patriots football prolongs the experience of powerful anticipatory sensations occurring during the final build-up to the Super Bowl, the physical demands of being kept or keeping ones team in this highly excited state for an extended time can induce a pleasurable, almost euphoric state, and at times creates changes within an fandom's perceived consciousness.[citation needed] Patriots football can involve either offense or defense being in control of the team's victory, or a team delaying their own victory during passing times of trouble (for instance, injury). To experience Patriots football, it's best to move to New England, as work by independent scientists reports the "bandwagon" approach is less effective [citation needed].

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Uterine Lineup posted:

The Raiders

are good.

Yeah but gently caress them

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

a neat cape posted:

See, everyone, this is what happens when the Raiders are decent again. Their fans do this.

This is what you all wanted

my favorite was all the TFF raiders posters stating that the cold weather at Arrowhead was to blame for the Raiders 2nd KC loss last year, and how it just wasn't fair that they had to play outside when Carr had a hurt pinkie

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
We lost to the Chiefs because they were better than us, but the clock is ticking and our time is nigh

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Nobody defends the AFC East like Patriot fans. Like a bully protecting his nerd from other bullies.

I think that was the game where the Dolphins unveiled the wildcat and Ronnie Brown clowned New England the whole day.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Yes, but unironically it's true

Volkerball posted:

We lost to the Chiefs because they were better than us, but the clock is ticking and our time is nigh

Get back in line soldier

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to the kc game this year. If you want to knife fight hmu

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh hey remember that spring football league that may or may not actually play games? They apparently released their rosters. I guess they only have two teams?

Which one of Mason Hutson, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, David Ash Bitch or Ricky Stanzi will be murdered on the field by Greg Hardy?

Kellen Winslow Jr. is the only other biggish name as far as I can tell.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Oh man Noel Devine I thought that dude was going to destroy the NFL but be never got bigger after high school

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I completely forgot about Ahmad Bradshaw and confused him with Brandon Jacobs

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Last year before the season I adopted Carolina
This year Oakland

So I mean enjoy 9-7 because my luck after I cheer for your team sucks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just remembered that David Ash quit Texas football because he couldn't get over concussions. Now I'm kind of for real worried about some nobody OL guy trying to block Greg Hardy.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The New England Patriots have a huge SoS advantage over the rest of the NFL because they never have to play against the New England Patriots even one time each year, let alone twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Most teams utilize free agency and the draft to get better and half the afc east doesn't usually bother

• Locked thread